Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:28 pm 

I've been gone for a while, but I'm back. Nobody is going to remember, and that's OK. Ha!

But, I'm Shawn...44 years old...big fan of USPM, Doom, Classic Metal...Thrash & some Death...

wizardsbong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:29 am 

Hello!

I'm Brian.. I've been into Metal for over 10 years now and used Metal-Archives for a similar amount of time! would not necessarily describe me as a Metalhead.. aesthetically I don't the whole demin long hair thing or whatever. But essentially if you're of any substance - this should not concern you.

I'm predominately interested in Doom Metal and have recently been on a bit of a hardcore binge recently. I've gotten out of the habit of listening to Thrash and Death Metal like I used to, but recently attended Full of Hell gig which had a band called Scorned (from Leeds) playing this mash-up of powerviolence and slam death metal/hardcore beatdown. ANYWAY, this led me going home and giving Cryptopsy's None So Vile album a good few spins (tr00 breakdowns et al) which I had not done in ages.

I guess I'm also partly here to hopefully associate with Metal fans of more distinction - the amount of times I've approached folk in my place of work with the assumption that they are deep in the scene only to find out it is your really usual entry level stuff of Tool/Meshuggah/Opeth/Mastodon bands.. and y'know, I need to find people who know who Dan Swano is. So there you go, my first post on the M-A forum in over 5 years.

http://astraldoom.blogspot.com/

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:34 pm 

Not an introduction but just a little celebration: Tomorrow (well, 3 hours more since now CET) I'll join the club of the few members who registered here at least 10 years ago and never quitted.
Nobody cares but here still I am and will be for ages more.
Metal on metal.

Darty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm 

Hi,

I'm Ed, I'm 16 years old. I'm from good ol' England. I've been listening to metal since I was about six when I used to watch crappy RuneScape PVP videos on youtube. Until recently I only listened to metalcore, post-hardcore and "modern metal" (fucking sue me) but thanks to this forum I've been getting into melodeath (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111983 is the thread) and hopefully I'll go deeper down the hole as I listen to more stuff. I partake in post-blackened-satirical-edgy-humour too.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:08 pm 

I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
Not an introduction but just a little celebration: Tomorrow (well, 3 hours more since now CET) I'll join the club of the few members who registered here at least 10 years ago and never quitted.
Metal on metal.

"Never quitted?" You only have 89 posts! Haha, cheers on the OG join date though.

Quote:
I'm Ed, I'm 16 years old. I'm from good ol' England. I've been listening to metal since I was about six when I used to watch crappy RuneScape PVP videos on youtube.

Heh. Did you know: I was one of the first level 100 players ever in Runescape. I started in May 2001 when the game only had 3 servers with a ~300 players each. Here is the list (I barely made it, username is Poopingman): http://www.scribd.com/doc/56607394/Firs ... ape#scribd

I quit in December 2012.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Darty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:20 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

Heh. Did you know: I was one of the first level 100 players ever in Runescape. I started in May 2001 when the game only had 3 servers with a ~300 players each. Here is the list (I barely made it, username is Poopingman): http://www.scribd.com/doc/56607394/Firs ... ape#scribd

I quit in December 2012.

I started in 2003 (I was 4 but my brother helped me so it's not as weird haha) but I never really got anywhere (I was awful at sticking to training). I definitely had some good times on that game though. I was friends with Zezima, so yeah my friend can beat up your friends = I win??????

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:23 pm 

Haha. Yes I have many stories, and probably more that I've forgotten over the years. I remember before Wilderness even existed, and the world cut off west of Falador and east of Varrock.

I remember when Karamja came out, everyone was fighting over the lesser demons trying to get the rune med drop.

Yes, the rune med was the most prized item at the time.

Lord_of_Ice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:48 am 

Hey everyone! I'm a long time user of MA, but only now I registered here! The site helped me a lot with subgenre stuff, also introducing me to a lot of new bands. Hope we have a great time around here, metalheads, cheers!

Whatshisname
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:11 am 

Hi. I am Kyle, 25 and a long-time user of the site, but thought I'd get involved in the forum (as best as I can, anyway). I've been listening to metal for the better part of a decade now, but in recent months have been rediscovering and reevaluating what I like and do not like regarding music. I also listen to many other non-metal things as well.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:29 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
Metal on metal.

"Never quitted?" You only have 89 posts! Haha, cheers on the OG join date though.

Well I guess it doesn't mean that much... somewhere else in this forum section I wrote I'm more a lurker than a poster.
I live underneath the shroud of gloom, I don't like to appear with the highest postcount possible, I'm not concerned with that.
Truly, I never quitted. I am here daily since 10 years and if anybody noticed of me, this makes me happy because it's what I truly want.
Watch your back 'cause it's there where I dwell and act eheheheh

Ehm, speaking of metal, have you seen how poor is the packaging of the triple live LP "Lucifer over Athens" by Rotting Christ legends ? Very disappointing, in my opinion, for such a majestic release I'd have appreciated something more accurated

Edisinhell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:26 pm 

Good afternoon folks nice to be here thanks.
We split the planet with atomic birth
Man has died
We seal the urn

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 pm 

You're welcome good evening.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:50 am 

Hello

I'm James from God's own county of Yorkshire in England.

I started listening to rock music in 1992 and the band that got me into it all was Extreme. Not extreme metal. The hard rock band Extreme. From there I got into Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax as well as the Seattle scene and to this day I still love Soundgarden and AIC.

Around this time I also started listening to bands on Earache and MFN and got into bands like Carcass, Entombed and Paradise Lost.

I'm now mostly into technical death metal and the last album I bought was the new one from Gorod. However, I have still retained a love for many of the bands who helped me discover both rock and metal and my favourite band will always be Kyuss, as my unimaginative username would suggest.

ChurchBurningIsCool
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:48 am 

Hey. I'm a life long metal fan, but I like diverse stuff. I generally like unpolished, non commercial, poser free metal music in general. I like a lot of other types of music too.

I guess I should mention, I think my username is fucking stupid and I wish I could make this account again. It's really true though, I despise religion for secular reasons. I fantasize about ever single church in the country getting torn down or huge arson uprisings to just demolish organized religion. I don't wanna sound like I'm crazy about that sort of thing though, because I generally keep it to myself. I would describe myself as a gentleman.

I live the straightedge lifestyle. I often find it ironic that I like metal, when it seems like so many of it's fans live the party lifestyle. So I guess it's cool that I can identify as straightedge, because I guess there's other people besides myself that find that kind of think kinda pointless too. I don't believe in ruining my health for a "good time".

I play music somewhat. It's my dream to start my own project and make some sort of music. I'm currently taking guitar lessons and I am really fucking lazy. I barely practice the shit that my guitar teacher wants me to practice, which makes me feel pretty bad. None the less I can do some shit on the guitar. I really wish that I could get together with some people and play some music. I generally am way too shy to approach anyone, so I am terrible at meeting people. It's for that reason that I haven't really met anyone to try to play some music with yet, I guess.

I also think that it's utter bullshit that it's like november 5th and it's 70 degrees where I live lol.

I like art and shit I'll spend a lot of time looking at artwork and collecting artwork. I also have a CD collection. I dunno why I buy CDs in the first place, I think that I should really stop. When I think about it, I really need to work on saving money in general. I tend to just blow all the money I have on stupid shit until I don't have any more. It's a really self destructive way of living, I guess. I need to like, set aside some, ya know?

I guess that setting aside money hasn't really worked too well lately though. I just bought a skateboard like 6 days ago. On the 3rd day that I had it, I fell flat on my back when I stepped onto it a weird way. My back still fricken hurts from that thing lol. It's a pretty cool board though. Custom built with deathwish deck, indie trucks, bones wheels, and mini logos bearings (yeah I know those supposedly suck, I just got them because they guy at the store recommended them. I hear that reds are supposed to be way better, but I didn't know what to get at the time). I also have done some skiing in my days, but I know that you can't really compare the two, because skateboarding is way more fucking dangerous, and going down a hill on a skateboard is practically suicide.

As you can probably tell, I really like writing. I write a lot. I just use two fingers, but I am actually very fast an accurate when I type. I've been told that maybe I should find a profession that involves typing or something, from the people I have been in skype calls with who hear my fingers making thunder noises. Sometimes people will ask me "are you like really mad? you're typing furiously" lol. Yeah idk what job I want though. Right now I'm literally not doing anything with my life, but I do hope that I can sign up for college again some time soon.

I like playing video games. I don't think that there have been that many good games on my radar lately though. I am really looking forward to playing fallout 4. It's been a while since I actually looked forward to playing a video game. I think that generation 7 (if I'm right and that means ps3, xbox 360, and wii) was an extremely disappointing generation of video games. It seemed like there were so few interesting titles to come out that generation. Whether it was dragon age, borderlands, mass effect, most of it sucked. I only liked Halo 2, 3 and reach. That's when I switched over to PC gaming. I have been trying to get back into it again recently. I beat silent hill 2, played a bit of stalker shadow of chernobyl, as well as a little of dark souls. I didn't beat the latter two though.

Idk what I could really say about myself without getting paradoxical. I have social anxiety, I'm a pretty shy guy in person. The internet really gives me a lot of freedom in terms of talking with others. I don't really have a problem talking to people in person, if I'm with like a friend, or my parents, or if I'm at a store or doing something formal that requires interacting with people. It's interactions with people who I don't know very well which I tend to have a problem with. It's for that reason that I generally just keep to myself. I wish that I could somehow find a way to overcome that feeling. In my ideal world, interacting with people should feel as though when you fuck something up, you can feel indifferent to it, as if you've woken up from a dream and realize there was nothing to worry about. I'm still trying to get to that point.

I would also describe myself as an extremely unmotivated individual. It sometimes seems like the only thing that I really feel motivated to do is listen to music. I have been an extremely avid music listener for most of my adult or teenage life. It's like an escape from the monotony of life for me; I often don't really feel like doing anything else. I guess that has changed since I stopped being as depressed. There was a period where I was so depressed, I was apathetic about everything. I wouldn't really do anything except listen to music. That period of my life ended several months ago, but was going on for a couple years. It's amazing, how long it takes to recover from the impact of poor mental health. I have felt more natural lately though.

As far as politics goes, I guess you could say that I'm liberal. I try to follow politics, understand both sides of an issues. I follow NPR, Ted Talks, BBC news, National Geographic, lots of atheist talk shows like Sargon of Akkad, The Amazing Atheist, etc. I think that I'm pretty intelligent, but I would say that I don't have enough knowledge to really hold up in a debate with a well educated opponent. I think that I can detect when someone says something that doesn't sound that smart though. I strongly agree with the statement that "education does not equal intelligence". I think that what I tend to focus on mostly in politics would be moral issues, because I have a very inquisitive mind. I almost can't help but question every piece of information that's presented to me. I just wish that I could be more knowledgeable about economics and forms of government. That to me is a new frontier I hope to discover some day.

So anyways, I am looking forward to using this site. It looks like it has a lot of interesting threads.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm 

Welcome Casper. :) Fellow mental health sufferer here, so I can understand all about that crap.

If you don't like your username, you could totally just make another account. You don't have many posts so you wouldn't be losing too much.

Enjoy the forum. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Elahrairah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:45 am 

Hi everyone, 18 year old Australian here. Stated listening to metal 5 years ago. I'm not really activley searching for new bands and music atm, I just came to chat with people about metal.

@Casper I have social anxiety too, it sucks :(

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:22 am 

^ Welcome, fellow Australian. :) Where on this big island do you reside?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Elahrairah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:28 am 

Victoria, and you?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:31 am 

Elahrairah wrote:
Victoria, and you?

NSW South Coast, near Wollongong. I was in Victoria last month, actually. Got myself some CD's and a bloody speeding fine. :lol: Enjoy the forum!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 pm 

Greetings, and welcome. hello

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:37 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Elahrairah wrote:
Victoria, and you?

NSW South Coast, near Wollongong. I was in Victoria last month, actually. Got myself some CD's and a bloody speeding fine. :lol: Enjoy the forum!

Country NSW here (Between Wagga and Griffith).

Great to see more Aussies
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:52 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

Narrandera? What's it like out that way? Never been but I have wanted to visit Wagga for some time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:33 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Lord_Brendan wrote:

Narrandera? What's it like out that way? Never been but I have wanted to visit Wagga for some time.

Leeton. It's ok. Quiet and boring mostly. Think the only things this town is known for are Sunrice and the ex home of the late Steph Scott which I am sure heard about earlier this year
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:19 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Leeton. It's ok. Quiet and boring mostly. Think the only things this town is known for are Sunrice and the ex home of the late Steph Scott which I am sure heard about earlier this year

Oh, I did hear about Steph Scott. She was the teacher raped and killed by the cleaner, right? Here's a fun story: One of my jobs is a cleaner and I do a local school. Not long before that murder happened, there was a new female teacher around my age who began. One day she was working late and I was close to leaving so I walked into her room where she was working, and the terror in her face was clear. She literally asked me, "are you going to kill me?" She was trying to mask it as a joke but I could tell in her eyes she was absolutely petrified. I made some light-hearted conversation to put her at ease, and, while she was still keen to leave that day, she did warm up to me later. Just that one moment will be forever etched in my memory.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:29 pm 

So you look like someone who might kill young, female teachers?

Donnie Akumetsu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 pm 

Ayyy, I'm Donnie. I've been a fan of metal since I was a very little kid, and I've never turned my back on it since.

Along with metal, I regularly listen to other stuff like rock, punk, alternative, and things in between those.

I also suck at introducing myself, so I'll wrap this up and go away now.

~Guest 372617
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:36 pm 

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking the forum for a while. I'm just here to learn more about metal and explore the genre a lot more. And what better place to do so than The Metal Archives? :-D

Much of my first exposure to metal was Judas Priest and some Iron Maiden here and there. From there on out, I started getting more into metal and discovering more awesome bands.

Either way, I'm glad to be here!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 am 

Opus wrote:
So you look like someone who might kill young, female teachers?

Apparently! :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Dunder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 pm 

Yo, figured I'd introduce myself since I plan on being fairly active here.

I'm 18, and some of my favorite bands include Judas Priest, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Woods of Ypres, and Helloween. I'm joining because I've realized that the majority of what I listen to is pretty mainstream and I'd like to break into more sub genres and find new bands that I like. So, I figured joining a forum would be the best way to go about it, since none of my irl friends listen to metal.

I hope I'm not too annoying,

Cheers!

House of Mill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:27 am 

Hello, I am House of Mill.

I am 19 and from Canada.

Favourite bands include:Slayer, Bathory, Darkthrone, Emperor, Watain, and Motorhead. There are some others however I am way too tired to think of more.
Although I have listened to the genre for a good majority of my life, I did not really start to get into metal as a whole until about two years ago.

The main reason for joining this forum is to allow myself to be exposed to different, more obscure bands so I can broaden my musical taste.

Thanks for reading guys!

skyaflame
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:02 pm 

Hi,
new here!Idecided just some days ago to open an account,because i love this site,it's my number one source of metal..and btw i'm 31 years old,female from Italy.
I'm a fan of metal since I was a child,because my father used to play in a prog rock band..so I grew up listening mostly to rock then I fell in love with heavy metal..so yeah,i'm a metalhead!\m/
see ya

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:52 pm 

House of Mill wrote:
Favourite bands include:Slayer, Bathory, Darkthrone...

Slayer, Bathory, and Darkthrone, eh? I think that we'll get along fine. :thumbsup:

The Kraken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:28 pm 

Hey I'm Kraken. I hail from California. I've lurked for about a year and I decided to make an account since I like the discussions here. My favorite bands include Burzum, Slayer, Nile, The Red Shore, Carcass, Darkthrone (early), Devourment, Cannibal Corpse, Toxic Holocaust, and Deicide.
I fell in love with metal at a young age while playing Dragonforce on Guitar Hero 3. My dad was also a great influence for discovering new types of music. Since then I've attended at least one big concert a year. I've always wanted to play an instrument and I dream every day of making it big and playing on stage. Unfortunately, I just don't have the money or the time.

I hope that I'm welcome here. :]

Panzerschreckrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:33 am 

So there's this girl I ended up leaving. This was about 2 or 3 years ago. Though I left her, I still miss(ed) her a lot almost every day. The past two or three months it has been a whole lot less severe/intense in my mind. I feel like I'm really moving forward slowly finally and have been feeling pretty damn positive and good about it. I still think about it, but it's way less saddening when I do think about it. Got drunk the other night and I just felt an overwhelming feeling of concern about the situation, sort of like a revival of the old feelings of it meaning so much to me. My question is, not for advice on what to do or how to deal with it, it's just have any of you ever had a similar experience? Like where you get drunk and it's just all intense again like how it used to be? Almost like it was a thought you had deep down but were suppressing and being drunk sort of made you realize that? As pathetic as it sounds, that honestly what it felt like. I want to understand more about why alcohol does this sort of thing. (I understand MA isn't a psychology/drug effects expert forum, but I feel at home on the boards and free to speak my mind) Anyone know anything about why this sort of thing happens when drinking, be it chemically or psychologically speaking? Anyone had similar experiences?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 am 

Hello. Are you lost?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

doc Regula69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:48 pm 

Hey wut up. I’m Doc Regula 69, just a cool 23 year old dude living in Canada for the past 2 years. I’ve been a into metal for a pretty long time and I’m definitely not new to this site. Pretty sure I had an account here a few years ago too, but I barely posted on it. And since I’ve been coming here daily, I thought “might as well just go on the forums, check it out”.
Metal isn’t my really my favourite type of music now, but it was my introduction to “extreme” and “progressive” stuff in my teen years. My favourite genres of metal are the usual classic Black/Thrash/Death stuff (the combinations and each on their own), although I don’t usually like how these evolved over the years. My favourite metal bands are: Nocturnus, Possessed, Celtic Frost, Deathcrush era Mayhem, Absu, Voivod, and more. I hate most brutal death, overproduced thrash and black metal.
My favourite musicians in general are like John Coltrane, Sun Ra, James Ferraro, bands like Magma and Etron Fou Leloublan. I genuinely love all this music.
I enjoy doing a bunch of things including being a musician, going on the internet, smoking and doing the good OL 69!!!!!! ;;;;))))
jk 69ing is cool an all but it’s really not my favourite thing to do. It can actually get pretty cumbersome at times considering you got your nose straight up on her butthole (or his butthole, whatever youre into). Can I say butthole on here?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:02 pm 

Welcome, doc Regula69. :) What's your favourite music now?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:01 pm 

doc Regula69 wrote:
I enjoy doing a bunch of things including being a musician, going on the internet, smoking and doing the good OL 69!!!!!! ;;;;))))
jk 69ing is cool an all but it’s really not my favourite thing to do. It can actually get pretty cumbersome at times considering you got your nose straight up on her butthole (or his butthole, whatever youre into). Can I say butthole on here?

Grow up :nono:

doc Regula69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:38 am 

Really? A warning? :roll:
Tell that to “small tits guy” on the first page.

MikeyC wrote:
Welcome, doc Regula69. :) What's your favourite music now?

Thanks brosky :)
I like a bunch of stuff, but mostly shit that’s fast and tasteful. But my favourite genre is jazz, in general. Mostly the mid-60’s to 70’s FREE JAZZ stuff (Ra, Coltrane (quintet), Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Peter Brotzmann, Art Ensemble of Chicago, etc). It’s also the music I love to make. I also really like Jazz fusion (modern and old). Miles Davis ELECTRIC period is the best though.

I’m also into rap and (don’t hate) especially the new drill stuff that’s going on right now. I think it’s pretty great.
Also Footwork/juke is amazing (rip DJ RASHAD).

Last edited by doc Regula69 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:25 pm 

doc Regula69 wrote:
Really? A warning? :roll:
Tell that to “small tits guy” on the first page.

Sure, just let me set the dials on my time machine to over eleven years ago.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 156  Next