* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:01 pm 

allureoftheearth wrote:
Hello lads!
I'm Josh (allureoftheearth, whatever you prefer) from Grand Rapids, Michigan. 18 and in college with plans to become a music teacher, audio engineer/mixer,
Came here to find a way to connect with other metal-heads and make new friends.
Favorite genre's are Death, Thrash and Black. I'm slowly opening up to Folk as I'm finding more and more artists and albums that I enjoy. First genre I was introduced to was Classical music and was brought up playing the piano so classical music will always hold a spot in my heart. Trying to start a black/thrash metal band in my area but everyone is too obsessed with the current "core" scene. No core = Score!
I love traveling, cooking, reading, hiking/camping, drawing and running on my free time (whenever I'm not working or in class)

LOL, that's why you have to make the drive to Lansing sometimes. Only city in the state with a respectable scene. Honestly the only place I know of here in the upper midwest with a metal only venue too. I've known a few people who went into audio/video production over the years. Tough gig to break into, and to stay in it, you'll need to spend a lot of time keeping up on equipment/software. I'm sure you know what colleges are best at it (one of those friends went to Emerson and that was a big help to him. Another travel partner came out of Berklee). Just remember that there's more to the industry and getting a meal than just trying to be the next Morrisound or being a US version of the Abyss.

UndeadLegend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 pm 

CapricornSupernaut wrote:
deth_from_above wrote:
Hey, guys.

15, from Russia, have been playing guitar for seven years now. Favorite bands include (but are not limited to) Inquisition, Electric Wizard, Agalloch, Anaal Nathrakh, Ares Kingdom, BTBAM, Black Sabbath, Carcass, Clutch, Nasum, Corrosion of Conformity, Cynic, Dark Funeral, The Devil's Blood, Down, Opeth, Bloodbath, Exhumed, Forbidden, Impaled, Mastodon, Porcupine Tree, Nails, Russian Circles, Watain, and Warbringer.

Look forward to my stay here.

Your stay will be long and without trolling.

UndeadLegend wrote:
Hello, all. My name is Justin, I'm from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My favorite bands are King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Lordi, Accept, Twisted Sister, Gwar, Ghost, and Venom. I'm looking forward to being part of this forum, cheers!

Ah, a fan of some classic metal! I like you already.

Thank you. I'm glad to see that this is a very active forum!

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:13 pm 

Sup. I don't really do a lot. Listen to death, doom, sludge/stoner/whatever. Mastodon, Nile, the three great -ations, Ahab, lots of dm bands that turn out to be Finnish for some reason (Slugathor, Demilich, Adramelech, Demigod, Convulse etc), Neurosis when I've got the blues, Death, Grave when I feel Swedish (happens quite often, actually, since I'm studying it), Disma, Exhorder, Clutch and Hendrix (the odd ones out), Mayhem every once in a while.

My pace in picking up bands I dig is slow as 'uck. And I'm a grumpy guy. Cheers.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 pm 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
Sup. I don't really do a lot. Listen to death, doom, sludge/stoner/whatever. Mastodon, Nile, the three great -ations, Ahab, lots of dm bands that turn out to be Finnish for some reason (Slugathor, Demilich, Adramelech, Demigod, Convulse etc), Neurosis when I've got the blues, Death, Grave when I feel Swedish (happens quite often, actually, since I'm studying it), Disma, Exhorder, Clutch and Hendrix (the odd ones out), Mayhem every once in a while.

My pace in picking up bands I dig is slow as 'uck. And I'm a grumpy guy. Cheers.

You'll see soon that the pace in picking up bands will increase for the time you're on the Archives. Oh, and welcome.

allureoftheearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:39 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
LOL, that's why you have to make the drive to Lansing sometimes. Only city in the state with a respectable scene. Honestly the only place I know of here in the upper midwest with a metal only venue too. I've known a few people who went into audio/video production over the years. Tough gig to break into, and to stay in it, you'll need to spend a lot of time keeping up on equipment/software. I'm sure you know what colleges are best at it (one of those friends went to Emerson and that was a big help to him. Another travel partner came out of Berklee). Just remember that there's more to the industry and getting a meal than just trying to be the next Morrisound or being a US version of the Abyss.

What venue/bands are in Lansing? I thought Blondies in Detroit was the only metal only venue in Michigan?

From what I've read and heard it takes a lot of commitment and hard work. But like they say, hard work pays off. People have told me just to go to a local studio and just volunteer or start off as an errand boy or something along the lines of that and they'd slowly let you start doing more around the studio (setting up mics, etc.) until you eventually get up the recording and such.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:32 pm 

Well, you're right. Blondies counts. Fuck, so does the Alrosa Villa down in Columbus for the purpose of this discussion. But the Blackened Moon out in Lansing is the only *extreme metal* only venue I know of in this area. Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid living out east and going to the Hanover House or the Bombshelter in New England. Impiety played there on a Wednesday night recently, which sucks having the hours I do because I didn't see it. Mac's Bar used to book in a lot of metal bands but most of the the promoters switched to that venue; Today is the Day, Wolves in the Throne Roome, Master, and DRI all played at Macs in the last couple years. There's also Uli's House of Rock, but I think most of the bands that play there are raw shit. Like Disturbed clones and whatever is definitively modern bad bar hard rock.

There used to be a decent number of basement/house shows that happened around here too, but I've been so disconnected recently I have no idea if people are keeping it up. I saw Nunslaughter and Midnight play some dudes giant attic a couple years back. But out where you are, man, all you can really hope for is Cannibal Corpse booking the Intersection. Grand Rapids has no metal scene.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:57 pm 

Well, my name's Martin (also known as Xlxlx in the internet). I'm argentinian, male, 16 years old, and a big fan of literature, redheads and, of course, Metal (mostly Thrash, but I also dig lots of other stuff). I have basically no friends that are heavily into Metal (see what I did there?), so I decided to register here, because this place seems to be awesome and full of pretty interesting people.

As long as you are polite, receptive and and/or a big fan of Suffocation, I think we'll get along well enough.

Yeah, I know that I suck at introductions...

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:59 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, my name's Martin (also known as Xlxlx in the internet). I'm argentinian, male, 16 years old, and a big fan of literature, redheads and, of course, Metal (mostly Thrash, but I also dig lots of other stuff). I have basically no friends that are heavily into Metal (see what I did there?), so I decided to register here, because this place seems to be awesome and full of pretty interesting people.

As long as you are polite, receptive and and/or a big fan of Suffocation, I think we'll get along well enough.

A thrasher and a redhead lover? Are you my long lost brother?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:04 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Hi again! I also have a weakness for Redheads, they are just too interesting/cute/something. :-P

We'll get along just fine :thumbsup:

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:34 pm 

Hey duudes I'm Dom, fairly new here. I'm 16 and from the US. Dream Theater is my favorite band of all time, but my metal tastes aren't limited to prog. I love tons of thrash metal, death metal, and heavy metal. my last FM is http://www.last.fm/user/domportera.
Some of my other favorite bands are White Wizzard, Revocation, Beyond Creation, Circus Maximus, Iron Maiden, Warbringer, Havok, etc etc etc. The only metal genres I don't like much are Folk and Black metal. I do like a little bit of black metal, like Naglfar and Profanum, but not too much more.
I am not elitist, I say live and let live, however pop music annoys the shit out of me and I wish death upon many of its "artists."
I'm in a metal band, playing a 6 string bass
I am also a raging Atheist
Hi guys!

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm 

domportera wrote:
Hey duudes I'm Dom, fairly new here. I'm 16 and from the US. Dream Theater is my favorite band of all time, but my metal tastes aren't limited to prog. I love tons of thrash metal, death metal, and heavy metal. my last FM is http://www.last.fm/user/domportera.
Some of my other favorite bands are White Wizzard, Revocation, Beyond Creation, Circus Maximus, Iron Maiden, Warbringer, Havok, etc etc etc. The only metal genres I don't like much are Folk and Black metal. I do like a little bit of black metal, like Naglfar and Profanum, but not too much more.
I am not elitist, I say live and let live, however pop music annoys the shit out of me and I wish death upon many of its "artists."
I'm in a metal band, playing a 6 string bass
I am also a raging Atheist
Hi guys!

Your last.fm shows you're not an elitist (Rose Funeral?! Come on!), and a six-string bass? Do you tune it B-E-A-D-G-C or standard guitar tuning? Welcome by the way.

domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:41 pm 

Your last.fm shows you're not an elitist (Rose Funeral?! Come on!), and a six-string bass? Do you tune it B-E-A-D-G-C or standard guitar tuning? Welcome by the way.

I listened about 3 times, trying to figure out how I feel about em. Overall I find it boring and I predict when I get my computer back that they will be erased from my library. Pros and cons, sadly too many cons like boring riffs and lame breakdowns.
Yes I tune BEADGC, and thanks!

slowdeepandhard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 pm 

Hello, I'm new and i like music.

Voidlight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:04 am 

Greetings,
My names Ryan, I'm 21 from Sydney Australia. My favorite genre is Black Metal and Dark ambient. Some of my favourite bands include Vrolok, Leviathan, Haus Arafna
My lastfm page is http://www.last.fm/user/padaz.

I apologize I am a noob at forums, I never really contribute as I find most of my opinions have already been said.

brmln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:36 am 

Hey =)

I've used the Metal Archives and read these forums for quite some time, but never thought to actually join up until now.

I'm a 20 year old dude from Michigan (Go Blue!). I enjoy music from all sub-genres of metal, but my favorites are death and sludge. My favorite bands include Acid Bath, Autopsy, Tiamat, Morbid Angel, Mayhem, Iron Monkey, Type O Negative, and many others.

There's not much else I have to say really. I'm an accounting major...uh...yeah

'sup

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:39 am 

Voidlight wrote:
Greetings,
My names Ryan, I'm 21 from Sydney Australia. My favorite genre is Black Metal and Dark ambient. Some of my favourite bands include Vrolok, Leviathan, Haus Arafna
My lastfm page is http://www.last.fm/user/padaz.

I apologize I am a noob at forums, I never really contribute as I find most of my opinions have already been said.

Welcome, fellow Aussie. Do you go to Le Cabinets or Utopia much?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:14 am 

Hello, my name is Silje and I'm a 14 year old girl from Norway. I mostly listen to black metal, but I love almost all kinds of heavy metal. I've been a metalfan since I was ten. AND I looooooove LOTR, gaming and alcohol. :D

metaden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:06 pm 

Hi,
I've started listening to metal since three years. I'm 20 now. I'm from India.Very hard place to find metal around me. This forum is great. Thanks to MA.

My favourite bands include Metallica, Megadeth, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pantera, Lamb of God, Slayer, Machine Head, Opeth, DT, Porcupine Tree, Joe Satriani, Vai, Yngwie, Avenged, Trivium(***),Motorhead, Buckethead and many others.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:43 pm 

CapricornSupernaut regarding my post wrote:
A thrasher and a redhead lover? Are you my long lost brother?

It depends; do you have a biggish nose and wavy black hair that it's impossible to tame?
IntoNevermore (also) regarding my post wrote:
Hi again! I also have a weakness for Redheads, they are just too interesting/cute/something. :-P

We'll get along just fine :thumbsup:

Redheads are the ultimate women. This is not up for debate (no offense to blondies and brunettes, of course :-D ).

And yeah, it seems I have already found some cool people around here :)

UndeadLegend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:24 pm 

MsSvartmetall wrote:
Hello, my name is Silje and I'm a 14 year old girl from Norway. I mostly listen to black metal, but I love almost all kinds of heavy metal. I've been a metalfan since I was ten. AND I looooooove LOTR, gaming and alcohol. :D

Welcome home! Alcohol?

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:36 pm 

MsSvartmetall wrote:

I can never find enough Lord of the Rings nerds.

metaden wrote:
Hi,
I've started listening to metal since three years. I'm 20 now. I'm from India.Very hard place to find metal around me. This forum is great. Thanks to MA.

My favourite bands include Metallica, Megadeth, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pantera, Lamb of God, Slayer, Machine Head, Opeth, DT, Porcupine Tree, Joe Satriani, Vai, Yngwie, Avenged, Trivium(***),Motorhead, Buckethead and many others.

The Archives are an amazing resource, enjoy your searching.

Welcome home to the both of you.

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:31 pm 

UndeadLegend wrote:
MsSvartmetall wrote:

Welcome home! Alcohol?

Thanks! Yes,alcohol.

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:35 pm 

MsSvartmetall wrote:

I can never find enough Lord of the Rings nerds.

Welcome home to the both of you.

Really ? I have never found real LOTR nerds, just fake ones. Thanks!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:39 pm 

UndeadLegend wrote:
MsSvartmetall wrote:

Welcome home! Alcohol?

This, pretty much. You're 2 years younger than me and already drink? Man, I feel fucking old...

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:57 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
This, pretty much. You're 2 years younger than me and already drink? Man, I feel fucking old...

Haha xD I smoke too, but not so often.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:53 am 

MsSvartmetall wrote:

Underage drinking aside I gotta say that (even though I fucking hate preaching to other people) that's a really nasty habit. If I were you I would forget about that crap.

metaden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:01 am 

brmln wrote:
Hey =)

I've used the Metal Archives and read these forums for quite some time, but never thought to actually join up until now.

I'm a 20 year old dude from Michigan (Go Blue!). I enjoy music from all sub-genres of metal, but my favorites are death and sludge. My favorite bands include Acid Bath, Autopsy, Tiamat, Morbid Angel, Mayhem, Iron Monkey, Type O Negative, and many others.

There's not much else I have to say really. I'm an accounting major...uh...yeah

'sup

Great! Try Testament, Corrosion of Conformity.. you'll dig them too.

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:30 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
MsSvartmetall wrote:

Underage drinking aside I gotta say that (even though I fucking hate preaching to other people) that's a really nasty habit. If I were you I would forget about that crap.

Yeah, I agree, it is a nasty habit, but I'm trying to quit.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:55 am 

MsSvartmetall wrote:
Xlxlx about smoking wrote:

Glad about that.

On an unrelated note; you're from Norway? The land of Black Metal? It's not exactly my genre of choice, but you live in a very important place regarding Metal. You must be very proud :metal:

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:23 pm 

Hi my name is Ben, Ive been using this site for a long time to find music, so I finally decided to join the forum. Basically my music history is this:
Back in 2006 I saw an advertisement on TV for DragonForce's Inhuman Rampage CD, at this point I had never herd anything quite like it having no family or friends that listen to Metal. That day I walked over to the Best Buy near my house and purchased the album (This was the first album I ever bought). After listening to it for a few weeks I tried looking for similar music. I started looking at a few websites that had links to bands with similar music, then eventually typed in "List of every Metal band" or something like that on Google and found this website. Ever since that I have come here to look for music.

Anyway my favorite Metal tends to be more along the lines of Heavy/Power/Symphonic, Operatic stuff. But I also like some folk, thrash, death, and black(More along the lines of Black Metal/Shoegaze). Other then listening to metal my hobbies are drawing, animation and video games. I spend most of my free time drawing and would like to get a full time job as an animator. I also think it would be cool to do some album art for bands so hopefully soon I will have some more of my art online. If any bands are interested I would be willing to do album art for free. I will post a thread with more information soon but if anyone is interested feel free to contact me.
Here is a few of my drawings:
Spoiler: show

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:31 pm 

The Animator wrote:
Hi my name is Ben, Ive been using this site for a long time to find music, so I finally decided to join the forum. Basically my music history is this:
Back in 2006 I saw an advertisement on TV for DragonForce's Inhuman Rampage CD, at this point I had never herd anything quite like it having no family or friends that listen to Metal. That day I walked over to the Best Buy near my house and purchased the album (This was the first album I ever bought). After listening to it for a few weeks I tried looking for similar music. I started looking at a few websites that had links to bands with similar music, then eventually typed in "List of every Metal band" or something like that on Google and found this website. Ever since that I have come here to look for music.

Anyway my favorite Metal tends to be more along the lines of Heavy/Power/Symphonic, Operatic stuff. But I also like some folk, thrash, death, and black(More along the lines of Black Metal/Shoegaze). Other then listening to metal my hobbies are drawing, animation and video games. I spend most of my free time drawing and would like to get a full time job as an animator. I also think it would be cool to do some album art for bands so hopefully soon I will have some more of my art online. If any bands are interested I would be willing to do album art for free. I will post a thread with more information soon but if anyone is interested feel free to contact me.

Your art is great! Welcome to the Encyclopedia.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:35 pm 

The Animator wrote:
(...)

What CapricornSupernaut said; your art is very cool. Cartoonish but not infantile, and very fun. You'll be welcome here.

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:03 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

On an unrelated note; you're from Norway? The land of Black Metal? It's not exactly my genre of choice, but you live in a very important place regarding Metal. You must be very proud :metal:

Yeah, I am very proud! But it kinda sucks too, because I get a lot of shit for loving black metal. My mom freaks out everytime I say Burzum or Varg Vikernes. She is seriousley the biggest Varg Vikernes hater you could ever find.. And I'm not even aloud to go to concerts!

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 am 

The Animator wrote:

Great, great art! Have a good time in the Archives.!

MsSvartmetall wrote:

Thats the spirit :thumbsup:

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:53 pm 

MsSvartmetall wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Yeah, I am very proud! But it kinda sucks too, because I get a lot of shit for loving black metal. My mom freaks out everytime I say Burzum or Varg Vikernes. She is seriousley the biggest Varg Vikernes hater you could ever find.. And I'm not even aloud to go to concerts!

Well, Varg is a nutcase, a murderer and (technically) a former terrorist, so there's nothing strange about your mother hating him. About the concerts; just wait couple of years :thumbsup:

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, Varg is a nutcase, a murderer and (technically) a former terrorist, so there's nothing strange about your mother hating him. About the concerts; just wait couple of years :thumbsup:

Well, I didn't like him before, but I read his book, Vargsmål, and I have to say that it changed my mind. But seriously, my mother compares him to Hitler and Anders Behring Breivik.
Yeah, it's just I would love to go to concerts now, sort of meet other metalfans, instead of being a loner xD

XJuliusX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:47 pm 

I'm new here!!! Extreme hails to everybody!!!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:05 pm 

MsSvartmetall about Varg Vikernes and going to concerts wrote:
Well, I didn't like him before, but I read his book, Vargsmål, and I have to say that it changed my mind. But seriously, my mother compares him to Hitler and Anders Behring Breivik.
Yeah, it's just I would love to go to concerts now, sort of meet other metalfans, instead of being a loner xD

Well, that's going kinda going overboard. There's a big difference between burning a couple of churches and killing one guy (who was also an asshole and a lunatic) and slaughtering a big number of innocent people. Damn, I can't believe I'm defending Varg :ugh:
XJuliusX wrote:
I'm new here!!! Extreme hails to everybody!!!

Hails to you equally! Is there a possibility you're a Manowar fan? :-P

MsSvartmetall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
MsSvartmetall about Varg Vikernes and going to concerts wrote:

Well, that's going kinda going overboard. There's a big difference between burning a couple of churches and killing one guy (who was also an asshole and a lunatic) and slaughtering a big number of innocent people. Damn, I can't believe I'm defending Varg :ugh:

That was exactly what I was thinking too.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:54 pm 

On an unrelated note; MsSvartmetall, would you mind taking a look at the Lyrical Feedback thread? I posted something mine there, and I'd like to know your thoughts on it. I don't like spamming my stuff, but what the hell :-P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 156  Next