Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:44 pm 

Hi, I'm Vadara and I'm an awful corekid with no taste. I like Post-Hardcore and Metalcore (90% of Deathcore is shit). But I'm getting bored of Metalcore. I need riffs and solos in my life, and so I find myself edging slowly into being a Metal fan.

In terms of Metal I like, I am still very new to the genre. I haven't heard many bands, but I can definitely clarify that I do not like Death or Grind. Too dark and chaotic, respectively (also I don't really like the incomprehensible vocals). I've heard some cool Thrash, though--love the intense riffing and solos in that genre, without the overly dark and horror-esque atmosphere of Death. I've heard one or two Black Metal songs I like, oddly enough, but the whole ideology surrounding that genre is little...overwrought. I love the hell out of this Bathory song and this Black Pestilence one, but those are both on the thrashy side compared to the more atmospheric stereotypical BM.

Power? Uh...I liked Dragonforce in Middle School as did every kid with Guitar Hero 3. I like the whole "8 minutes of over-the-top shredding and solos with ultra-cheesy fantasy lyrics" vibe though.

The reason I want to get into Metal is because I like hearing cool guitar work, riffs, and solos. To name an example, I found this extremely obscure song/band linked on this forum (according to this site these guys relased only TWO songs). That is the shit I'm looking for. All that delicious riffing and soloing everywhere, sounds so fucking good. I need more music like that--that more traditional-sounding Metal that's just tons of riffing and solos (someone on Reddit linked me to Traveller by Slough Feg and that shit is so good too). But from my limited experience that doesn't seem like a very popular Metal genre anymore. It seems like Death and its daughter genres are the most popular stuff in Metal.

I am just tired of -core bullshit that chugs all day long. I can listen to it for fun but I now mostly listen only to Progcore/Djent (ERRA, The Afterimage, Periphery, Corelia, etc.). The mainstream -core (Asking Alexandria, Parkway Drive, etc.) is just...boring. I don't hate it, it just gives me zero interest in listening to more of it. It seems like no one in -core wants to add some fucking riffs or solos to their songs too. I really would like to see the genre get out of the chuggy rut and actually incorporate some damn metal into it, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it wont happen. Thus, I find myself moving onto "trve" Metal. If Metalcore was actually "Post-Hardcore vocals with metal riffs and solos" I would love the shit out of it, but there are very few bands that actually do that.

Also, Metal has almost no breakdowns, thank god. Even to this day I can name the amount of -core bands with good breakdowns on my hand. I want to grab the entire -core scene and yell "BREAKDOWNS ARE SHIT, STOP DOING THEM" but that'll never happen.

In terms of non-Metal music, I enjoy listening to practically anything that sounds good. It sounds like a cop-out, but I was never one of those guys who's all "I listen to [genre] and ONLY [genre], fuck everything else". Most of my other music consists of video game music mixed with EDM (of which my favorite genres are Electro, Drumstep, Chilled/Ambient Dubstep, Nu-Disco, Glitch Hop, and D&B). I also am aiming to get into more Hip-Hop alongside Metal.

Outside of music my main interests are video games and Linguistics. I make constructed languages for fun too. My username is from my most fleshed-out conlang, Pazmat, and means "Adventurer" or "Traveller". If I could play music, I'd love to start a band whose lyrics are all in this language; nothing's more kvlt than lyrics in a language only one person on the planet can comprehend!

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:46 am 

That's a bit cultural appropriation on my part. I once went to a Ukrainian cultural day in my home town with my partner, who is Ukrainian. They had a bar where you could buy Ukrainian beer and other drinks. The bar didn't have a name, so we dubbed it (as well as the process of going to it) 'Operation Pivo'. The name has sort of stuck for whenever 'beer o'clock' comes around.

IntenseHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:04 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Operation Pivo wrote:
Grim frikken Reaper (it’s criminal that I’ve only discovered them now)

Yes it sure is :D Also, pivo. By any chance are you a Croat?

Had them mixed in with a bunch of tapes I bought from a guy back in the day. That's how I discovered Grim Reaper. Anyway, its late but welcome to the forum.

KalinaF
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:42 am 

Hi, I'm KalinaF. I'm a weirdo who likes metal that uses clean vocals.

My favorite genres are power metal, symphonic metal, and I sometimes listen to melodic death metal, but we don't talk about that. I like these genres for the vocal range usually associated with them, as well as the guitar riffs (less so with symphonic metal).

I have no standards, and I'm okay with that.

In terms of non-metal genres I like, my favorite would be hardcore punk. Other than that, I'll sort of just listen to whatever.

I'm also learning to play the guitar, though I still suck.

So...yeah. Hi.

DreamOfMirrors
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 pm 

Hey guys, I'm James. I have only been listening to metal for about two years or so but I really enjoy the old school bands and melodic stuff so far. I also really like power metal and am trying to get into progressive stuff. While I can't play instruments, I really like singing. Bands that showcase vocals definitely get me interest. Unfortunately, I am a baritone so that sucks when I'm listening to stuff like Kiske-Era Helloween or Gamma Ray. XD Outside of metal, I enjoy all types of music including classical and rock. The one band I'm really into right now is the old band Blue Oyster Cult.

Anyway, that's enough about me. Looking forward to being on here!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:57 pm 

DreamOfMirrors wrote:
Blue Oyster Cult.

:thumbsup: Good, I'm not the only one who would do "Don't Fear the Reaper" for karaoke. .. including making the audience sit through the synth version of the solo interlude.

MetalMurse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:54 am 

Hi everyone. My name is Neel. I'm 21 years old and I attend NYIT for nursing, hence the name "MetalMurse".

I'm primarily listen to death metal but I also into various other kinds of metal (black, thrash, power, and prog).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:57 pm 

MetalMurse wrote:
Hi everyone. My name is Neel. I'm 21 years old and I attend NYIT for nursing, hence the name "MetalMurse".

I'm primarily listen to death metal but I also into various other kinds of metal (black, thrash, power, and prog).

G'day, Neel. Welcome to the forum. You have a good variation of tastes there. You'll like it here. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:17 pm 

To me, Roy Lee Centers was gifted with the greatest voice in the history of (country) music and arguably vastly underrated. RIP, Roy Lee Centers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm 

ksevile wrote:
To me, Roy Lee Centers was gifted with the greatest voice in the history of (country) music and arguably vastly underrated. RIP, Roy Lee Centers.

Ripping yarn, sibling! Are you drunk?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 pm 

edit: oh my! I see what you mean now! Wrong topic mates! Sorry! Was meant for the FFA thread!

LadyNyx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:22 pm 

Greetings, I am LadyNyx.

I've been a metal fan since the age of 6 thanks to a family member who introduced me to metal and I've been hooked ever since. Although I would have to call black metal my favorite subgenre overall, my favorite band has been Nile for nearly 12 years now. I enjoy almost every subgenre of metal, it's very hard for me to think of a subgenre that I don't enjoy at least one band from.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:18 pm 

Wow, 6! I was still learning not to poo my undies. Nice work. Welcome to the forum, LadyNyx. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:12 pm 

I'm sure some of you have seen me around by now. I'm just a woman who loves good metal. I gravitate towards black metal, but I've been known to listen to something else occasionally. Oh, and I have an undying fascination with David Sylvian's music. I'll see y'all around.

morgana904
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:02 am 

Hello guys, i am new here. SO came to say hi to all.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:23 am 

Hi dads

I'm not new, just been on a long hiatus. How is everyone these days?

Anyway I've spent a while sort of exploring other genres of music recently, became acquainted with a great many 60s bands in the psychedelic or hard rock vein. Following that really started getting into heavy rock and stoner bands like Kyuss and Monster Magnet.

Lol

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:50 am 

Greetings. My name is Kevin and I'm 19 years old. My go-to genre is black metal (along with its many variants).
I've been "working" here since 2013, though my previous account got banned because I wasn't really familiar with the rules back then. Let's just say I learned from my past mistakes. Not to say that I'm anywhere near perfect now, but I love this site nonetheless.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:46 am 

Vadara wrote:
The reason I want to get into Metal is because I like hearing cool guitar work, riffs, and solos. To name an example, I found this extremely obscure song/band linked on this forum (according to this site these guys relased only TWO songs).

Wut? According to this site there is 15 songs on that record alone. Or am I misunderstanding something here? Bathory was active for about 20 years and relesed lots of stuff of various genres.

Jinete_Nocturno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:38 am 

Hi fellas! This is the first time using the forums on this site. I've had this account for some some time but never really used it until now seeing that there are some topics in the general discussion section that I found interesting. Anyway I hail from the land of Tequila and death ("Mexico") or to be precise the Mexica ("Aztec") capital of what once was the great city of Tenochtitlan. I'm mostly interested in old school death metal particularly fond of the Swedish scene and traditional heavy metal. I find that power lifting and metal are a match made in the awesomeness of duality.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:50 am 

Just wondering... the recommendation list from the first page has been posted in 2004 and was also last edited in 2004 so... shouldn't it be updated a bit?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 pm 

Hey guys, I'm the Mayan Warrior, an American of Guatemalan descent (hence the name), living in Korea as an English teacher. While I teach high school, I refuse to cut my hair. My students all know I'm a passionate metalhead. Of all the genres of metal, I love thrash the most, although I do like a little death, speed, heavy, power, and some doom metal at times. While I teach English, I can also speak Spanish, Korean, and Japanese.

Some of my favorites (at this moment) include:
Demolition Hammer
Vio-lence
Sepultura
Mutilator
Exumer
Baphomet / Banished
Morta Skuld
Violator
Razor

Outside of metal, I also enjoy travelling, martial arts (I do Muay Thai and am an amateur ring fighter), cooking. I like nerdy looking girls (glasses are my kryptonite), I do got a girlfriend though. She respects me being a metalhead, although she herself doesn't like it.

Last edited by MayanWarrior86 on Sun May 01, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 pm 

Hey man, where are you? I'm in Cheonan.

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:41 pm 

I live in Seoul. Wait, are you Colin by any chance? I'm Dan, one of the most well-known foreigners in the Korean metal scene. All of the Korean metalheads know me for the Slayer backpatch battle vest and long curly hair. Also I'm sometimes the only foreigner/Westerner at the shows.

Last edited by MayanWarrior86 on Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 pm 

Nope, dunno any Colins.

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:46 pm 

Oh, gotcha. I think my friend is a metalhead and he teachers there, or at least close to there. Anyway, good to meet another guy in Korea.

MetalLord666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:24 pm 

Hi everyone,
the name's Federico, I'm not really a "newbie" on a chronological point of view since I joined metal-archives in 2010, but I've never introduced myself in almost 6 years so here I am.
It was 2006 when I listened my very first metal song, Paranoid; damn that riff is stuck in my head since then. One year later I remember listening to a live version of Fear of the Dark and that summer I eventually decided to go further by listening to Kill 'em All which after nearly 9 years is still one of my all-time-favourite metal albums. Since then I never stopped listening to metal, even though nowadays I don't listen to many of the bands I knew while I was in high school (mainly black metal and NWOBHM bands) because I got tired of them; on the other hand, this gave me the opportunity to know better some bands that I only knew superficially such as Pantera, Annihilator, Meshuggah, Black Sabbath themselves and so on...
At the moment my favourite bands are (not in order) Metallica, Annihilator, Lamb of God, At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Meshuggah, a bit of Slayer and Megadeth, Venom (one of my evergreens), and I'm actually looking further to Down which is definitely gonna be among my favourites although I remember listening to one of their songs about 7 years ago or something.
That's all I guess, have a good day everyone

MetalLord666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:32 pm 

Oh yeah and don't mind my nickname, back in the days I was obsessed with the satanic imagery and stuff, I was 16 at the time so yeah I guess I was "legit".

muun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:49 am 

Hello everyone, I need a forum to abuse ( in the best way ), and so here I am. I've browsed for the past decade but never made an account, until now :)

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:10 am 

Greetings, MetalLord and muun. Enjoy the forum. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MetalLord666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:18 am 

Thanks MikeyC :)

muun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:29 am 

Thank you! :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:38 pm 

LadyNyx wrote:
Greetings, I am LadyNyx.

I've been a metal fan since the age of 6 thanks to a family member who introduced me to metal and I've been hooked ever since. Although I would have to call black metal my favorite subgenre overall, my favorite band has been Nile for nearly 12 years now. I enjoy almost every subgenre of metal, it's very hard for me to think of a subgenre that I don't enjoy at least one band from.

Same thing happened to me, brothers got me into metal. They seem to have done a good job, too, because the Nile thing never happened to me. :D

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Holymagica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:49 am 

Hello everyone, my name is Gary from Scotland.
My journey to Metal was at the age of 10 via Deep Purple ''Machine Head to present day.
I am 50 years old!! I still go to gigs and buy good music, always looking to hear something new and different.
Speak to you all soon.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:59 am 

Holymagica wrote:
Hello everyone, my name is Gary from Scotland.
My journey to Metal was at the age of 10 via Deep Purple ''Machine Head to present day.
I am 50 years old!! I still go to gigs and buy good music, always looking to hear something new and different.
Speak to you all soon.

Greetings from the youngster section of the site to a Great Old One. My journey into metal was heavily influenced by Made in Japan, I know what you mean.

Welcome!

xBlack Widow 96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm 

Hi!

I've been listening to metal for as long as I remember listening to music, with my introduction being Black Sabbath. Some of my earliest favorite bands were Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

In more recent times, I have discovered my current favorite bands through the internet mostly, with some examples being Rammstein and Heldmaschine, and my #1 favorite band GOJIRA.

I have been playing the electric guitar for at least 8 years now, and I have experience with playing bass guitar. I also play the keyboard and drums, but is something I need to work on more.

My favorite brand of guitars are ESP, my primary guitar right now is an LTD F-50.

Well, there's my introduction thing... can't wait to meet everyone here and share in discussions. ^_^

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:55 am 

Hi, Black Widow. Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a lot of musical talent to play all of those instruments. Well done. :)

Gojira are a cool band but I'm apprehensive about their new songs. What do you think of them?

Enjoy!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

xBlack Widow 96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:34 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Hi, Black Widow. Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a lot of musical talent to play all of those instruments. Well done. :)

Gojira are a cool band but I'm apprehensive about their new songs. What do you think of them?

Enjoy!

Thanks for the welcome! And like I said, my keyboard and drumming skills could still use some work, but thanks! Playing these instruments, along with metal music in general is one of my greatest passions.

As for Gojira, I have actually only known about them since the very end of last year, so the fact that they've impressed me enough to become my very favorite band in such a short amount of time shows how much I love them and their music.

As for the upcoming album Magma, which I think you are talking about, this is only the second time I have been excited for an upcoming album to come out. Alot of bands I start listening to already have alot of their stuff released. There was Black Sabbaths "13" and Judas Priests "Redeemer of Souls" of course, which I thought were decent enough, but the first time I was excited due to anticipation of something upcoming was Heldmaschine's "Lügen", and now, with even greater levels of anticipation and excitement, Gojira's Magma!

So yes, I am super excited for this album. Just everything about the teasers and the two songs they released videos for... It's so amazing to me. The experience as a whole. I pre-ordered the "Ultimate CD Bundle" as soon as I heard there was an option to do so... XD

Anyway, not to make assumptions but I'm guessing it's "Stranded" that makes you worried about the album? For me, I really like this song. One of the many things I love about Gojira is that while they have a very distinct sound, so many of their songs are very diverse and different from each other, every single song is a different experience. So yes, while "Stranded" is more simplistic and formulaic than some of their other work, it's still a welcome addition to the Gojira discography for me! And I think the drums sound awesome on this track. They way they are mixed into the song, it's sounds perfect to my ears.

Anyway, what's your opinion on "Silvera", the second song/music video they released? I'm really impressed by this track! The guitar sound reminds me of their album "From Mars to Sirius", and the drumming is something along the lines of "Toxic Garbage Island"! Great vocals from Joe as always!!! And those leads are great to hear!

If I typed a bit too much, sorry...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:22 am 

It clearly is a big passion for you, which is pretty cool. :) Keep going and you'll be the master of all of them. I sense a one-man band in the making, haha.

Don't be sorry, haha. It's good to see you excited about Gojira. :) "Stranded" wasn't too bad, if maybe a bit too simple, but "Silvera" didn't strike a chord with me, and both songs could've had a minute or two added to them to explore some expanded ideas, but they're going for a shorter album this time around, which does worry me as a whole. Their best songs are their longer ones. But hey, maybe the two songs will grow on me the more I hear them, although I'm not hugely confident.

The Way of All Flesh is my favourite from them so far. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

xBlack Widow 96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:45 pm 

While I enjoy all of their albums, The Way of All Flesh is a big highlight for me too. Oroborus, Toxic Garbage Island, and A Sight to Behold go so well together, as do Esoteric Surgery, Vacuity, and Wolf Down the Earth. The middle section of the album is great too.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm 

All the songs you mentioned there are so good, although "Wolf Down the Earth" is the "least" good, haha. Enjoy the forum!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 156  Next