* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 pm 

WisdomOfTheWeed, indeed.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:34 pm 

tl;dr

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:41 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
tl;dr

:lol:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:10 pm 

WisdomOfTheTrees wrote:
*something something I don't know I had my head in the fridge* ... it becomes very lonely and isolating, being of such high intelligence.

Enough talk. It's time for beating our own genitals with socks full of sand.

Mr_Wednesday
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:15 pm 

Greetings! Had an old account that I can't remember the credentials for so...might as well get reacquainted.

I'm a Californian, video game developer, and have been listening to metal for over 20 years. I love reading, with most of my collection being fiction and American Gods(surprise!) being among my favorites. Also, I'm in the early stages of learning guitar and occasionally like to go outdoors to hike or play tennis. When in comes to film I really enjoy film-noir and mystery like The Maltese Falcon but I'll gibe almost any genre a try. I'm also a big fan of European martial arts, a la HEMA, although I haven't personally trained in a while.

When it comes to metal I like traditional, power, thrash, death, black, doom, folk, and I've recently been getting into sludge a little bit. Some stuff I've been listening to recently:
16 - Life of a Moth
Manilla Road - Spiral Castle
Occult Burial - Hideous Obscure
Tengger Cavalry - Blood Sacrifice Shaman
Funeral Age - Thy Matyrdom Comes
Forteresse - Traditionalisme
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Cobalt - Slow Forever
I can shift my shape like a god - Summoning, "Farewell"

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 am 

Hi everyone

Im 38, french, and metaller since 1993 or so.
I browse the forum since several years and post here and there (mostly in my covers topic, but im willing to change that).

My favorite styles are the old school stuff, especially old school tech thrash / tech death (Nocturnus, Atheist, Coroner, Mekong Delta, later-era Death, Toxik, and so on).
Im into traditional heavy metal & thrash metal as well.
And im a fucking badass .. accountant.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:11 am 

cacaman wrote:
And im a fucking badass .. accountant.

Welcome young one!
Don't you have fancy names for that in France? In Sweden they are now called "business controller". Seriously, they have an English name for it, and it means nothing. Then you can add random words to it, like "Senior Chief Executive Business Controller", to make it look like you're a real hot shot. But you're still an accountant.

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am 

Opus wrote:
Don't you have fancy names for that in France? In Sweden they are now called "business controller". Seriously, they have an English name for it, and it means nothing. Then you can add random words to it, like "Senior Chief Executive Business Controller", to make it look like you're a real hot shot. But you're still an accountant.

LOL! i know what you mean.
Yeah we talk about "Business Manager" for example. But accountancy is not affected that much by this trend (to complicate job names on purpose).
But low-social class jobs are.
"im a surface technician", or "im an outside maintenance agent". Ooook you're a roadsweeper :D

Swill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:49 am 

I have to start here I guess. Swill, total newbie, but also a 60-year-old newbie. I feel as if I've missed a vital part of my life by not having listened to more metal when I was younger. Call it a 3/4 life crisis, I just want to learn as much as I can, so I appreciate being pointed to things I should not have missed. For instance, what makes Metal "metal?" I am also a reader, and want to spend time in the books/movies forum. I recently read Randy (D.Randall) Blythe's "Dark Days," which didn't have a lot to do with music-- or literature!-- but am looking forward to more suggestions.

Just want to say that this is a GREAT resource. Thanks to everyone running it and participating in it.

--Swill

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:19 am 

Greetings, Swill. You might be the oldest person on this site, then! Good to see an older person enjoying metal of all forms. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 am 

Swill wrote:
I have to start here I guess. Swill, total newbie, but also a 60-year-old newbie. I feel as if I've missed a vital part of my life by not having listened to more metal when I was younger. Call it a 3/4 life crisis, I just want to learn as much as I can, so I appreciate being pointed to things I should not have missed. For instance, what makes Metal "metal?" I am also a reader, and want to spend time in the books/movies forum. I recently read Randy (D.Randall) Blythe's "Dark Days," which didn't have a lot to do with music-- or literature!-- but am looking forward to more suggestions.

Just want to say that this is a GREAT resource. Thanks to everyone running it and participating in it.

--Swill

Welcome! What was it that started getting you into metal and what sorts of bands have you been getting into?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm 

Swill wrote:
I recently read Randy (D.Randall) Blythe's "Dark Days," which didn't have a lot to do with music-- or literature!--

:lol:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Jhigs1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm 

Hello, I am 13 years old and love classic rock and traditional metal. I am starting to get into the heavier stuff like black and death metal. I have always liked Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth but i started finding my own taste in black metal that has somewhat clean vocals and catchy guitar riffs. Everyone at my school loves terrible modern rap and I want to be a separatist. I have been a guitarist for a year and have a love for horror movies.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:58 am 

Welcome, Jhigs1. You are almost certainly the youngest person to ever post here. Bring on the 9 year olds! :P

I hope that you're not listening to metal just to be a "separatist." :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 pm 

I think we all had at least a little bit of separatism in us when we first started listening to metal in our early teens. I know I had. I even remember being a little bit proud I could enjoy the ultra brootal sound of Children of Bodom - Everytime I die. :lol: The more extreme mindset of wanting to be different from everyone will fade out over the years, but the individuality will stay. It's a healthy process.

Welcome to the forum, Jhigs1. :beer: (root beer)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:18 pm 

Jhigs1 wrote:
I want to be a separatist.

Why, are you from the South?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:15 pm 

Swill wrote:
what makes Metal "metal?"

The riff.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:55 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Swill wrote:
what makes Metal "metal?"

The riff.

The power of the riff.

My collection

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 am 

Quite so.

creeping_breath98
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:22 pm 

ELLO! I'm ashton and my favorite bands are sepultura, kreator, and entombed. My favorite genre is thrash. I also play guitar.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:41 pm 

Yoooo welcome holmes! Aren't you forgetting Testament? :headbang: Thrash or naaaw bish

iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:32 am 

Hello!

My name is Diogo, 18 years old and I'm from Portugal. I am now studying computer science. Favourite genre is Symphonic and Power Metal (favourite bands: Stratovarius, Sabaton, Avantasia, Kamelot...). If you want to know more about me feel free to ask :)

~Guest 327946
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 pm 

Damn, it seems I missed the whole "let me introduce myself" thing altogether, stuffing few posts of mine right into other sections of the forum recently. I hope this is not a heavy crime against metal brotherhood.

My name is Eugene, 27 years old, from Russia, Moscow. Registered since the end of 2013, have written a handful of reviews. Have been interested in rock since 8 years old, starting with my dad's old tapes (Pink Floyd, Queen, Smokie, Zeppelin etc.) My first exposure to metal was a Russian band Aria at 12 years old. I got into Iron Maiden afterwards, the band, which Aria draws heavily from. The first extreme metal album was South of Heaven by Slayer and the journey began. This site aided much in my search for other bands.

Nowadays I listen to everything, that suites my mood, including industrial, electronic, ambient and other stuff. When it comes to metal, I dig everything, which is not brutal dm or the rawest end of 2nd wave bm (like Von Satanic blood). Generally more into melodious and atmospheric sides of metal.

rollermonkey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:22 am 

Um.

Yes I'm new here, but not new to metal.

I remember when the only 'genres' were metal and speed metal. You kids with your labels. Nu-metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, metal core, speed core, and on and on. It's just ridiculous. So many little boxes to wall yourself into... Too much division leads to weakness. There's only two genres to me now: music I like and music I don't....

and I like stuff from all over the damn place, labels be damned. I got started with stuff like King Diamond and Thin Lizzy on vinyl and listen to everything from all over the place now. Most recently, I have been digging on the stuff Japanese women are doing across the Pacific, though.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:52 pm 

Welcome! We have a Japanese metal thread which has covered all of those all-female/female-fronted bands. Personally, I'm finding women in the J-Rock/alternative scene over there to be pretty good too.

rollermonkey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:41 pm 

I know, that's how I found the site. I tried posting over there, but it still hasn't shown up.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:42 pm 

Your post appeared in the J-Metal thread now. There's a moderation queue for new posts where posters have to be manually approved before they appear. This place was flooded with spambots before that was implemented.

Guitarist3000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:27 am 

Hey everyone,

I didn't see that there was thread for introductions until just a moment ago & I figured opps- should probably do that now. I'm a tall lanky metal lover that is in the middle of the U.S.A. I like it here for the most part because there are a lot of forests around, tons of nature to get lost in. As far as a bit about me I'm 25 & have liked heavier music since before I even knew what a genre was. My employment is pretty sweet as I engineer fire alarm systems, I did want to get into bio-medical engineering but this was a good option for me at the time, maybe down the road I can get into biomedical.

I play alto saxophone, keyboard, bass, but my main instrument is guitar & it is what I spend a ton of my free time doing. I love to practice, took lessons for one year to get the technique down, kind of want to go back to learn more theory. I have been in a number of bands Defication Landslide, Tammuz, Molasar, and Blue Neptune. I am currently in a band & am enjoying it a lot, it is the first time I have joined a band as opposed to scouting out people I wanted to work with & approaching them about starting a band which is pretty interesting & a very cool change in dynamics for me. It is also the first time I have been in a band where I wasn't the oldest one so here is fingers crossed that the drama will be a little less severe this time (as with all my other bands there was so much drama that made the bands fall apart, it is quite pathetic really) I feel like it should be better & am loving the work we are doing! Now if we could just get our own practice space hah! It will happen soon enough I know.

Beyond that I like to collect guitar gear, vinyls, and cassettes. I listen to too much black metal but I don't see that as a problem, I do still love to blast some death, doom, power,thrash, and technical death metal though from time to time. I also like to play video games, mostly PC but I still love to play my ps3 & ps4 from time to time. As far as guitar gear I could talk for weeks about gear & I always do with the other guitarists here that entertain that sort of thing & don't turn it into some type of appendage measuring contest, but people like that are typically easy to spot & don't really try to be around people in general in my experience. (I know that may sound conceded but still, some people just love to talk about themselves instead of having an actual discussion about gear & different ways to use it.)

I am in the process of making my own little home studio too for my guitar parts in the new band, and recording everything else (sans drums until I have the space & money to buy a kit) for my solo project. So life is going pretty awesome!

So if you want to talk about videogames, guitar gear for hours or black metal I'm always down! Loving being on the forums thus far.

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:41 am 

Hey! I said, HEY! Ugh.

Anyhow. I'm Nat, 15 years old and from one of the Grim and Frostbitten Norths. I've discovered MA while looking for good album reviews, been lurking here for a while and only registered an account about a month ago. Basically, I'm a kid who's got a crapload of free time and not enough things to do in this free time. I'm obsessed with music and... that about does it. I've been drumming for as long as I can remember and I plan on learning to play the guitar and bass and probably starting or joining a band sometime in the future. Hopefully I won't end up becoming the next Shadow0fDeath, haha. I also try to write reviews on obscure releases that I come upon while wandering the internet (yes, yes, I know that's vntrve, blasphemy and stuff, but hey, a lot of people on here do that. plus, who needs, a, say, umpteenth review of Reign in Blood?) and I've read the rules, the oven fodder, Crappy Diem and whatever English learning material I have, so I should be fine since I know what to do and what NOT to do when writing a review.

About my musical taste... I'm pretty open-minded about music, I can enjoy almost everything from medieval/folk to jazz (especially Guthrie Govan) to Anaal Nathrakh, but I'm weirdly picky about the music I like. For example, I absolutely love Testament's The Legacy, but don't like either of Metallica's "true thrash" albums, even though the former sounds like a more technical Metallica and I don't really look for technicality in music. Hell, Venom is one of my favorite bands and their first two albums are fun as hell. Go figure. So my favorite metal genre has to be thrash metal, old-school German thrash, to be precise, and my favorite band is Sodom. I can't really get into American thrash (except Morbid Saint, Testament, Exodus, Slayer and Warbringer) or modern thrash/rethrash (except Warbringer and a lot of black'n'roll/blackened thrash metal bands). Then, I adore doom metal, sludge metal and death/doom, both the faster (The Obsessed, Pentagram, Asphyx) and the slower (Saint Vitus, The Wounded Kings, Khanate) stuff... I could go on a very long rant about music, but I'm not really good at rants and I've already said pretty much everything about the metalhead in me (except probably my gateway metal bands, but... eh, whatever), so I guess I'll just end it there.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:36 am 

Welcome, meshigene. It's certainly not "vntrve" to write reviews for obscure releases - hell, they're the albums that need them! Write away. Also good to hear you're a drummer. I'm literally double your age and you're most probably double my talent. :lol:

Enjoy the forum.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

FightTheShark
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:05 pm 

My name's Matt. I'm 25, live in America. I waited a while to get into metal, not til I was about 17 and my friend gave me Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, and Blind Guardian's Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind. Built my way up to the great lords of metal, Iron Maiden.

Big power metal guy, but mix it up with a lot of other genres. Genres I don't like are black, brutal death, any type of core, any type of industrial, and that's about it. Just got back from ProgPower USA XVII, 'twas incredible. Obviously.

Outside of metal, I listen to prog, classical, soundtracks, jazz, blues, bluegrass, some electronic (mostly 8-bit), chant and other older religious stuff, and... maybe that's all. Maybe I'm not as musically diverse as I thought. Metal's been my go-to for like 7 or 8 years.

A tiny list of great albums to emphasize my taste:
Fairyland-Score to a New Beginning
Manilla Road-Crystal Logic
Orden Ogan-Til the End
Ayreon-01011001
Mastodon-Blood Mountain
Ensiferum-From Afar
3 Inches of Blood-Long Live Heavy Metal
Rainbow-Rising

I'll be around.

Lord Lexz0r
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:36 am 

Hey there metalfans.

I am Lord Lexz0r aka Alex and i hail from the lowlands hell (the Netherlands).
I am a big fan of death, black, doom and gothic metal and when i feel like it a little bit of deathcore/metalcore as well.

My journey into music began when i was about 10 or 11 and my brother got Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 on cassette (makes me feel really, really old hahaha)
I really liked the music and loved it way better than the crap played on the radio and in my school at the time.

I then things kicked of for me with Metallica, Iron Maiden and a bit of Megadeth and i was hooked, i realised metal was my thing.
My first introduction to the more extreme forms of metal was when i saw the God Of Emptiness video of Morbid Angel on MTV (yes kids there was a time MTV really played music on their station)
I went out and got Blessed Are The Sick and also discovered Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse at the time and loved it to bits.

I also am a big fan of bands like Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and Anathema, and i also kinda like Nightwish and Epica.

My favorite dutch band is God Dethroned (deathmetal).
As rain runs upon me,

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 pm 

But we already have a Lord rexxz0r...

Vault_Boy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 am 

Hi everyone,
My name is Hugo, I'm 20 and I live in France. I'm studying to, I hope, become a web developper.

The first time I listened to metal/rock when I was around 10 and my brother was listening to stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers (one of my favourite band) Metallica, Scorpions, Twisted Sister, Deep Purple (he teached me how to play the classic riff of Smoke on the Water). But I never really get into it.

Then, when I was 15-16, I started listening to Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Dio (while playing Fallout 3 or Skyrim). This time I knew it was the kind of music I always wanted to listen to.

Now I keep listening to this awesome genre. And thanks to this amazing site I discovered a lot of cool bands.

My favourites bands are Judas Priest, Visigoth, Rage, Moonsorrow, Slayer, Sepultura and Death.

I'm also a big gamer (PC or Xbox) and I love to read (mainly SF or fantasy).

stoli_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:20 pm 

Hello darkness, my old friend...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:01 pm 

... in the wells of silence.

meshigene wrote:
I've read the rules, the oven fodder, Crappy Diem and whatever English learning material I have, so I should be fine since I know what to do and what NOT to do when writing a review.

This is only 12 posts old, and it's a real fine way to start.

turbalicous
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:51 pm 

Guess I'll do this too.

I wouldn't say I'm new to metal archives. I've used this site a lot since I found it, looking up potentially good bands and their albums. Ever since I've gotten into metal, I've been listening to it nonstop. It's almost like water: at some point, you gotta have more, or you dehydrate. Hell, I can't even remember the first real heavy metal song I've listened to (I think it was Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth. not sure though).

Now, i'm not too picky with my metal. I'l listen to anything as long as it's good. However, if I had to pick a favorite genre, It would be Power metal or maybe Speed metal. Some of the guitar work from this genre are breathtaking.

Currently, I'm listening to the album Sin after Sin by Judas Priest (good one).

sludgebear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:18 pm 

guess it's my turn.
my name's Oliver. I'm almost seventeen. I'm from California. I like weed, reading, and art. I'm *fairly* new to metal, but moreso just been getting back into it after four or five years. but I don't count it much because the metal I was listening to back then was shit. I also like punk.
I've been listening to a lot of sludge/stoner metal lately, and it's my favorite subgenre so far. I'm still learning, so if I'm wrong about something, try to correct me without jumping down my throat.
I've been teaching myself bass for about a month now, its going pretty well. my favorite song to play right now is monkey junction by weedeater. my instagram is ghoulpunk, my snapchat is captfag. if you add my sc, just tell me you got my username here.
favorite genres? sludge, thrash, and black so far? folk punk is also a current favorite at the moment. especially AJJ.
that is all.

keletkezes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am 

Hi everyone, I also cheated and posted somewhere else because TitaniumNK had mentioned Epidemia and I just had to comment... Awaiting moderation, of course :)

I'm Dawn, I live in Nottingham, UK and I've been lurking for a few years here now and finally made an account. I never describe myself as a metal fan because people ask me awkward questions about extreme metal and that's not really my thing. I like classic and power metal: anything I can sing to at the bus stop/in the street without getting REALLY odd looks. I also primarily like Russian metal, so my favourite band is Epidemia (power metal) but I got into it through Aria. I also enjoy listening to Kipelov and Arida Vortex. English-language(ish)-wise I like Iron Maiden, Helloween and Rhapsody. I also like non-metal, primarily electropop, mid-80s stuff and almost-metal (hard rock, that sort of thing). I generally like music from 15+ years ago ;P

I started a Masters last year (part-time) looking at the Russian metal scene in 1985 and I hope to stay in academia doing metal studies in the Russian scene because no-one else appears to have bothered! I used a few quotes from reviews here in my proposal (thanks again, TitaniumNK!). I'm almost 33 so I'm a mature student but I've lived in Nottingham since I started my first degree (Russian and German) in 2002 and I never left because the roleplaying group here is unsurpassable :D I've been engaged since 2003 to someone who doesn't really like metal (can't all be perfect) and I have two bunnies, Lopsy (a black&white lop boy) and Aboleth (a one-eyed normal-eared fawn girl).

Twitter: @keletkezes
Facebook: keletkezes
ВКонтакте: Dawn Hazle

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:50 pm 

Hi keletkezes :D Happy to see someone else likes that melodic Russian style of power-ish heavy metal! Легион, Holy Dragons, Ария, all that good stuff.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 156  Next