Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:36 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Welcome back! I enjoyed that Adder's Fork CD.

Thank you once more :-)

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:39 am 

I listened to that a few weeks ago. Two small criticisms are that you'd really benefit from a real drummer and the vocals sound a bit held back, like you're only giving 80%, but otherwise it's seriously impressive, like the kind of stuff that should be pushed by a big label.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 am 

Thanks droneriot, it's been a while :-)

Yeah, i'm working on these vocals. Took a while to be fairly confident about using cleans, but gaining full control over these vocal cords is quite the task for me.

...and finding a drummer to work with (AND other musicians - playing this material live would be a dream come true for me) in my abandoned region is tough. Also, I'm probably not the easiest guy to work with in a band.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Cortenebrosum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:21 pm 

Been a while since I spent some time on here. Politics and utter sheepish behavior on FB drove me away from it. I'm done with it. How's everybody doin. I literally have an eye-ball headache from the insurmountable pile of shit that's come through my news feed.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:46 pm 

Heyo, I forgot about this thread. I actually used to have an account and posted semi regularly in high school. It's been a while since high school, about 6-7 years and I decided to make a new account. High school me wasn't the greatest, so it's good to get a fresh start. Also my old name meant something bad in another language I think and I didn't know that at the time, so a change was needed regardless.

If anyone is interested, I coach soccer at the high school level and ages in club ball. I actually just got the job at my old h.s. funnily enough. So you will see me in the soccer thread near constantly. I'm entertaining the idea of setting up a soccerblog of sorts, but don't hold me to that though.

I work with special needs children as well. I wish I had been doing so longer than I have been. It's hard at times, but it beats working in a warehouse for literally every reason. Morale is high these days and let's just leave it at that.

As far as metal goes I definitely lean more towards heavy, thrash, and power metal. I really don't listen to a lot outside of the aforementioned genres these days. For perspective my favorite albums of 2016 on the opposite side of the metal spectrum were Ihsahn's, Borknagar's, Insomnium's, and Rotting Christ's albums (off the top of my head).

So anyways, I've always enjoyed the metal archives and it's cool to be back and chatting with all y'all.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:10 am 

Hello to the forum!

Newbie here. I joined as I am most impressed by the sheer amount of content on this site and it has aided me numerous times with its non-forum side in finding music, and I just noticed that there is indeed a forum.

I am a huge fan of old school death metal as well as older thrash metal. Perhaps you can easily see that based on my username. Anyway, I look forward to digging around here and posting when I have some contributions.

FearAbsentia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 pm 

Hey, I've made a few posts already but thought I'd introduce myself. I've found this site to be quite a help when it comes to finding cool obscure bands that I otherwise would never have heard of. I've been reviewing since 2014 (Although those early reviews were horrible track-by-track ones).

As it says in my profile, I enjoy at least some stuff of all metal genres, but my favorite genres are thrash metal, doom metal, stoner metal, classic heavy metal, industrial metal, groove metal, and old-school death metal. I'm also really enjoy art history, so I love the art of metal album covers.

Metal is forever!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:59 pm 

Welcome aboard.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Equus_Storm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 am 

I've been a member for years but have never actually posted, so I guess I should post the generic bullshit introduction thing as a first post.

Been using this amazing site for years. Grew up in rather strict Christian household without even internet until I was 16 in 2007. The folks were mostly anti-secular music so I had to discover stuff on my own. Discovered metal through symphonic acts such as Within Temptation and Nightwish in 2008, moved on to power metal later that year, discovered thrash in 2009, and black/death later that year. Metal is a major part of life these days. I would love to play some day but I have no musical training as of yet. All I can do is write countless lyrical passages as ideas for when I am actually able to make music to go with them I guess, heh. I am better at writing anyway.

These days I prefer black and death metal, including most of their associated subgenres. Lately have really enjoyed the old-school Swedish DM scene (Daniel Ekeroth's book is fascinating; am a bookworm by heart) and some of the better melodic death, along with atmospheric BM. God Dethroned is my favorite band at the moment. But I'm pretty much open to anything.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:46 am 

^ Welcome, Equus_Storm. How was it growing up in a Christian household? I take it you're not a Christian now? Were you one before, or were you acting for your parents' sake?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Equus_Storm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 pm 

It wasn't awful (because the lack of social opportunities gave me time to read, study, and learn to love solitude and the wilderness behind the house) but it was very limiting. Especially when combined with being homeschooled and having no Internet - the only social contact was with church folk and family. Very very narrow base of acquaintances. To top it off, my dad is a pastor, so we were at church for services three or more times a week. I was a pretty fundamentalist Christian simply because I didn't know there was any other way, having no social contact and no way to gain knowledge besides a set of 1960s encyclopedias and whatever books I could manage to buy. Getting Internet changed all of that and I began to rapidly expand my horizons. Pretty quickly I became nonreligious and today really resent its influence in the world, having kept me locked into a mindset I regret for sixteen years. I guess I'm an atheist-leaning agnostic, but I do not like religion as an institution for many reasons. My folks know nothing of this, I think.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 pm 

As someone bought up in a non-religious home, that sounds awful. At least you are aware of things outside religion, so you have something to base it off. Regardless, you found metal music, and this forum, so welcome. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:14 pm 

Spectacular recovery, Equus, may Satan bless your soul. Welcome to the MA forum!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Equus_Storm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 am 

Thankyou!

Well, yeah, admittedly it WAS a little awful. The longer I live, the more I realized just how isolated and repressed things were. We live in the middle of nowhere in the Bible Belt of the southern US, so there was no alternative to the uber-religious mindset, especially since I was homeschooled in Christian curriculum by Christian parents for all 12 years.

Metal became a bit of a welcome divergence from the fundamentalist philosophy, becoming both my catharsis and my venting anthems. And for that I'm super grateful.

Plus it sounds fucking phenomenal, regardless of its use and intent!

MakeFenrisGreatAgain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 am 

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a huge fan of metal music since I was 13, and am just joining this site now because as I've gotten older it's been harder and harder to find people who are into this style of music. I play guitar, but I don't have any band experience.

Some of my favorite bands are Megadeth, Enforcer, Immortal, Nevermore, Exodus, Wo-Fat, Metal Inquisitor, Sylosis, and Skeletonwitch. The band I hate most is Avenged Sevenfold.

Guitar-wise I play and ESP LTD FX-360 with twin EMG 85s and have an Orange Micro Dark Terror for amplification. It's a really basic rig but it works for me just for doodling in my room and playing some riffs.

Thanks for reading this guys.

apocryphal_drone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 pm 

Hello all.

Newb to the forum but longtime engineer/musician/jack of all trades based out of Denver Colorado, but first posting from a hotel room in Cologne Germany.

A member on another forum turned me on to this site. I was pleased to find that someone had created a profile for my solo Atmospheric Doom/Sludge project a few weeks ago and I thought I'd get involved in the conversation. I'm a huge fan of all things atmospheric and heavy (and lots of other things too you might find as time goes on) and I am SUPER impressed by the sheer amount of info here at the metal archives.

I'm big on production techniques and guitar nerd-ery in general - my primary axes are a Fender Custom Baritone Jag, a Schecter Omen (tuned so low only dogs can hear it), and a Fender Frankenstrat I've been modding and playing since i was 13 or so.

I'm a huge proponent of guitar amp modeling technology as I use a ton of Native Instruments Guitar Rig (even known to use PodXT pro's for clean tones) to record but - still love old tube amps (my Fender Bassman is a bit too loud to track in my apartment home studio but when I get the opportunity to really turn up it sings)

i hope all are well.

\m/

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 am 

^ Welcome to the dungeons, newbies. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:18 pm 

hey. i registered because i'm bored at work. as good a reason as any. been using the encyclopedia for a good number of years now.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 pm 

Welcome to the MA forum, brainbomb!

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:08 pm 

I've been around for probably over a year now, but I rarely posted until recently.

Personally, I am a vocalist, (shitty) drummer, and lyricist/songwriter for my own band, which I change the name to every week for the lulz.

Most of my favorite bands are death metal bands. Some of my favorites include Atheist, Incantation, Chthe'ilist, Demilich, and Infester. Non-death metal bands I like include Sacramentum, Hexenhaus, Blasphemy, Beherit and Impaled Nazarene. Non-metal bands include The Grateful Dead, Katatonia, Yes, and Rush. I've been into metal since 2013-2014, but I got into it via classic rock, which I was into since 2012.

I was a Christian from birth, but deconverted to agnosticism. However, I lean close to theism, since I believe in the Occult and supernatural.

That's basically it.

ministroraven
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:23 pm 

Hello, I am MinistroRaven from Venezuela. I am an active member over the Mike Portnoy forum.
I love music, I am a drummer myself, and love Progressive Metal, Metal and Hard Rock.
I hope I cna make new friends here. All the best!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:16 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
Personally, I am a vocalist, (shitty) drummer, and lyricist/songwriter for my own band, which I change the name to every week for the big cocks in my ass.

Cool stuff about the band, but it looks like the filter got you. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 am 

hey there, i'm Anthony.
French 39 y-o living in Normandy and listening to metal since 1993.
I got pretty standard tastes (Maiden, Priest, Dio, Megadeth, Death, King Diamond, etc.) and occasionally get nuts on tech-thrash and tech-death (Vektor, Coroner, Atheist, Martyr, Mekong Delta, Nocturnus, all that stuff).
I also play guitar since 1997.

See you on the threads :)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:12 pm 

Yay!!!! Finally some tech death people! :-P Welcome friend!

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm 

Was a bit of a lurker for a long time because I didn't know who I was. 19 years old with 91 in my username that's pretty retarded right? I was never truly religious but my parents were and they kinda fucked with me in a way but not really because I was always kind of a free thinker. I'm from Newfoundland and that in a way makes me really misunderstood because a lot of Canadians don't take us seriously. But that's also why our province is so far in the past because a lot of us hold onto a old way of thinking along with a new way of thinking still on our conscious. For fucks sake a U.S. Ship got sunk around our waters in WW2 and Newfoundland women who were the wives of fishermen who sailed over here looking for new life kept scrubbing the black people who aboard the ships skin because they never seen a black person before. Newfoundland is awesome. Thanks for my two cents, I think I got stuff figured out to a degree to make changes in my life. Lack of punctuation is do to a lot of sleep loss.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:12 pm 

Hey everyone. My name is Peter. I registered in MA 2 years ago but I am still a newbie in terms of metal listening and reviewing. Mostly I listen to black metal but I like almost every genre of metal and music; except opera country and autotuned rap/hip hop and pop.

Top 5 favorite black metal albums :

1. Bathory- Bathory
2. Ulver -Bergtatt
3. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
4. Inquisition- Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult
5. Arckanum- PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP/ Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract

Top 5 Black Metal Countries
1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Greece
4. Finland
5. France

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Thatkellygirl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:15 pm 

Hey there. Decided to give this place a try after using Metalstorm for a while now. I'm all over the place with genres, I like to give everything a try. I listen to anything from atmospheric black metal, to power metal and still discovering a lot of bands I've never listened to before. :)

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:44 am 

So I signed up years ago to edit stuff in the encyclopedia section but never really bothered with the forums until today so I might as well introduce myself on here. I am a black metal fanatic but I respect pretty much all genres of metal even if I don't care for them. I love obscure 80s bands and trying to piece together where certain genres come from, I guess you could call me a metal anthropologist. I've been collecting music on any format for years now and it has become a bit of a passion although there are tons of albums I still want and I've been lazy about collecting lately. Outside of metal I really enjoy genres like synthwave, shoegaze, dark ambient, old school hardcore, crust, blues, jazz, synthpop, goth, deathrock, and plenty more.

I'm also a musician and I play guitar, bass, drums (kinda), vocals, trumpet, dulcimer, and I can probably learn any instrument thrown my way if I tried. My band is All Hell and we don't like to be defined by a genre but I would say if I had to we are black/thrash/deathrock/punk. We signed with Prosthetic Records last year (totally thanks to Skeletonwitch) and our third album The Grave Alchemist is coming out on April 14th so I'm super excited for that. I live for the road, touring is the greatest thing ever. In my downtime I work as an environmental engineering technician with a focus on hydrological restoration, but this is a metal forum so I won't bore you all with environmental engineering lessons.

Favorite metal bands (in no order, just how I think of them)
Bathory, Mayhem, Peste Noire, Celtic Frost, Akitsa, Alcest, Midnight, Toxic Holocaust, Grand Belial's Key, Skeletonwitch, Pseudogod, Darkthrone, Blood of the Moon, Riot, Witch Cross, Mercyful Fate, Tormentor, Inquisition, Forteresse, Autarcie, Sale Freux, Burzum, Rippikoulu, Satanic Warmaster, Blasphemy, Root, Master's Hammer, and ultimately too many to list so I'll stop now.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 pm 

This will be more of an out-troduction than an introduction. This is the last post of ''lost_wanderer'' on this forum. My testament here in a way. I will speak both in plain language and in metaphorical language. I'm 30 now and I have been listening to metal since I was 13. Metal has been a large part of my life for many years. Influenced me in a lot of ways throughout the years. I have been listening to every styles of metal, but mainly black metal. I have also a metal project call ''La Flamme d'Agni'', my artist name is ''Hagal''. I have been doing this since I was 18 years old, starting with the name ''Dark Mind'', than through ''Hagal'' and ''incandescence'', only to finish with the ''la flamme d'Agni'' moniker. I have decided recently with much introspection to end this project. To split up. That don't feel it anymore so I'm steping out of the metal game, so to speak. I also quit listening to metal for the most part, especially black metal and death metal. I give away a lot of my metal, rock and punk collection. If I stopped listening to metal and similar music expect in rare occasions is because those type of music are not mere entertainment for me. They have deep meanings, both psychological and spiritual. I was a in a quest in the bleackness of my soul to find my real self.

To paraphrase the movie ''until the light takes us'' the '' light'' took me in a sense so the spirit of metal is not with me anymore for the most part. But behind the spirit of metal, there always has been a spirit more profound. So I'm not the lost wanderer I use to be even if I am still in this ''forest of Iron''. I'm not a ''metahead'' anymore even if from time to time, I put on a ''metal helmet''.

If you go artist profile of ''Hagal''., you will see that the gender is ''male''. It was true. I was more in a male body. But over the years, I have found out I was a woman. Being in the wrong body, and conditionned to be a man, had let me in a stated of depression, anger, isolation. In some part of my life, I was almost dead inside. Without metal, both creating and listening to it was my only way to survive in this world. I have made good friends because of it. Learn a lot throught it, it challenged me a lot. I will be always grateful to was ''metal'' brought me in my life.

But I think it's time for me to move on. With the realisation that I was a woman, I found a joyous, spontaneous and more profound part of me that I have never new I had. The type of joy is not linked with metal, at least for me. Sure, A part of me still like stuff like ''Autopsy'' and ''Havohej'' just to name a few. But I choose not to follow that path anymore.

(Few of the bands (metal and hard rock) that made the most impact on me over the years was in no particular order was'' Graveland, Absurd, Ildjarn, Burzum, Darkthrone, Werewolf, Infernum, Slayer, Summoning, Slayer, Metallica, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Belketre, Havohej, monster magnet, Soundgarden, Bathory, Mayhem, Nyctophobic...)

I will not judge any of you for listening to metal, whatever the reasons you choose to listen to it. I believe in freedom, freedom to choose our path in life and beyond. Take care!

-V. L.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:37 pm 

Well, good luck on your new way and take care.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:41 pm 

Been registered since '05 I see, never been active on the boards but since I really miss the forum bantering I thought I'd give it another shot. Fecesbook ain't got nothin' on this platform! My prior inactivity is also the reason for this short intro.

Started listening to metal in the late 80's, Metallica was the shit. Moved gradually onto more extreme stuff, and settled on black metal as my favorite style. Nowadays I listen to everything from ABBA to Zyklon-B, though mostly metal and classical. I swear by the five B's: Bach, Beethoven, Beatles, Black Sabbath and Bathory.

Favorite albums:
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Decameron - My Shadow
Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

I manage the music educations at a folk high school, and teach guitar, piano, music theory, ear training, band playing, composing, arranging, choir singing, studio recording, music history etc. I also play/sing in bands/projects/choirs of varying genre, activity status and degree of seriousness. Ask if you're interested. I'm an avid NHL follower, been a Penguins fan since Super Mario's amazing 1988-89 season. I collect music (4000+ original releases) and hockey cards on occasion. I read a lot, mostly fantasy (Tolkien, Abercrombie, Moorcock, Howard, Martin etc) and biographies (music and NHL, you guessed it). Best movie of all time: Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
This will be more of an out-troduction than an introduction. This is the last post of ''lost_wanderer'' on this forum.

Good luck with everything you choose to pursue, my friend. Your happiness means more than a few riffs and blast beats, so take the path you wish and hopefully everything works out the way you want it to. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm 

CadenZ wrote:
Decameron - My Shadow

I've always held this album in high regards and welcome you on the fact alone that you appreciate it that much!

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:10 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
I've always held this album in high regards and welcome you on the fact alone that you appreciate it that much!

Thanks! Apparently there are at least some people with good taste on here ;)

EpicusDoomicus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 pm 

I'm new, call me Doom. Welcome to my nightmare.

eddie the head
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 am 

Hi I haven't posted here in several years now but now I've come back. Looks like there are some great discussions here. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
Interesting. In recent years I discovered that I am a man, and it has also changed my taste in music quite a bit. Though within the metal framework.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Thrashman1997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm 

My name's on the left obviously, I listen to thrash and classic shit, but I won't object to anybody putting on anything else (but if it's metalcore, nu metal, or emo shit, I will through a bottle of everclear at you, provided I didn't drink it all).

I like to drink damn near anything with alcohol but I like to stick to beer mainly, beer is fucking good.

Some of my favorite bands are (in no particular order); Exodus, Sodom, Nuclear Assault, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden (who doesn't fukin like maiden), some Sabbath, Dio, Saxon, Motorhead... yeah shit like that.

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:26 pm 

Greetings, Thrashman1997. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Thrashman1997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 pm 

Hi

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 156  Next