Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TempleofDarknessReviews
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:36 pm 

I am curious on normal people's opinions on their latest album, .5 - The Grey Chapters. Every review site glorifies it as the best album they've ever written and I think that is a load of crap. Come on, lets hear them!

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:40 pm 

This is a METAL discussion board, best place this in the The Tavern?

And on the album itself, meh, heard it, made it through a few tracks, enjoyed some of 'em. Especially The Devil in I, which is actually a really good track. After than point it got a bit boring, so yeah, Slipknot as usual, some decent tracks, overall just mediocre, really.

Their debut remains my favorite album from them.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:21 pm 

i didn't know they had a new album out - i thought they split up after the bass player died and the drummer left?
brb, spotify

edit: about halfway through the album now and it's pretty boring. nothing's really stuck out, it's all just that kinda samey groove metal they've been playing since they slunk away from nu-metal. production isn't great, either. drum sound is horrible. i'll give it a few more listens, but ...eh. highlight so far is the song "goodbye", which is a really cool, heavy as fuck take on a ballad.

Last edited by Turner on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:28 pm 

I heard The Devil In I some time back, I checked it again...it sounds like Trivium at some points. The drop-out passages with the clean vocals really disrupt the flow of the song though and go absolutely nowhere. The best riff is that short one that opens the song for the first fifteen seconds, they should have tried going somewhere with that note progression instead of the relatively standard stuff that followed.

Last.fm

TempleofDarknessReviews
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:05 pm 

Turner wrote:
i didn't know they had a new album out - i thought they split up after the bass player died and the drummer left?
brb, spotify

edit: about halfway through the album now and it's pretty boring. nothing's really stuck out, it's all just that kinda samey groove metal they've been playing since they slunk away from nu-metal. production isn't great, either. drum sound is horrible. i'll give it a few more listens, but ...eh. highlight so far is the song "goodbye", which is a really cool, heavy as fuck take on a ballad.

Im so glad someone agrees with me on the drum sound. It sounds fucking awful, the kick has no depth to its sound, it sounds like a dead 'thud'.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:30 pm 

The last two Stone Sour albums were far better than anything Slipknot ever did. Corey Taylor should just stick to that and his solo shit.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:29 pm 

I'm probably the only person here who's given it an honest listen. It's certainly not their best, there's a good 8 songs that are stand outs, in some ways it's better than Iowa and if not for a few extra dull tracks it would be.

The album suffers from lack of editing, too many songs, and one song named Skeptic is genuinely good apart from bad lyrics that wouldn't even fly in 2001, such as: "The world will never see another crazy motherfucker like you/ The world will never know another man as amazing as you".. Ugh.

The drums are more crisp but I don't think it's a particularly bad thing or something to write the album off by, they still very much sound like Slipknot. What Sid does and the samples used are abrasive and obnoxious but I think it really helps the overall chaotic style of the album. The heavier songs sound better than Vol 3 and AHIG, while the softer songs were at their peak on Vol 3 in my opinion.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:52 pm 

The first few tracks were pretty decent, but the production is horrible. I kinda thought this album might mean a spot on the MA since it sort of weighs on neo-thrash, but that was before I got to "Killpop." I mean, really? I didn't think Slipknot got that juvenile. Instead of the normal 16yo-angst, that drops all the way down to 12yo-angst.

Anywho, I couldn't stomach more of that, so I stopped around Skeptic. Idk, I might finish it off just for the hell of it.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:55 am 

I was actually very excited about this at first. Then I heard the singles full of rehashed ideas, rushed riffs, and dull production. After listening to two of the singles on youtube I haven't even bothered to notice the album was out already.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:58 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
...so I stopped around Skeptic.

I actually stopped around skeptic to write this post. :P

I seem to like the album so far with one little detail - the drum's bass seem to be written all through digital programs like pro tools or fruit loops. That cheap thin sound really bugs me for some reason. It has that tik tik tik sound that isnt full and rich. The guitar solos are more in the jazz-fusion style which is not to my taste. I like a more simple nu-metalish chords.

Considering Nu-metail is pretty much dead they are able to somewhat keep the sound going so I give them respect for that. Plus they are competing with the metal-core scene in the likes of Asking Alexandria and August Buns Red and "Life After Suicide Eating My Existence":P. My favorite albums were Slipknot and Iowa. Everything after that was not to my taste. I hope this album would be able to appeal to my tastes.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 pm 

Now that Paul Gray is dead and Joey is gone, does anyone know who's playing bass and who's playing drums?

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:56 pm 

Unity wrote:
Now that Paul Gray is dead and Joey is gone, does anyone know who's playing bass and who's playing drums?

I believe the drummer is Max Weinberg's son, and the bassist is one of their roadies... I THINK.
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:09 pm 

Their bassist is actually one of Mastodon's roadies, thank you very much.

I dig the album. My interest drops out quite a bit after Killpop though, and picks back up on The Negative One. The drumming is without a doubt my favorite part of the album; Jay Weinberg is pretty bonkers all the way through, even on the songs where he reins it in more. Overall it's a pretty good album, but nothing was gonna meet the monolithic hype some people gave it.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:18 pm 

Bring back Anders Colsefni and electrical-taped manboobs! MFKR1, there is none higher!

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 pm 

I really liked the album overall. It seems more aggressive than their last one. Some songs have a slight death metal influence to them.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 pm 

Listening to one song off the tail end of Jim Florentine's podcast. I skipped over the part when he says the song title but listening to it, it's boring. The clean vocals are good enough to be put into different kind of music, the drums sound like dogshit, and when it gets heavy it sounds tamer than I remember these guys being. A friend played me something off their last album years ago and it sounded close to deathcore iirc.

Went back to the part when he says the song title and it's called "The Devil in I" and he said it was really heavy and close to thrash. I didn't hear anything like that.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:17 pm 

It's a That Metal Show host. You can't expect them to actually know metal.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:09 am 

Him and Don I give more leeway than Trunk. Trunk's the dunderhead but these two do actually listen to heavier bands. He was playing Exodus, Overkill, Testament, etc.. Florentine himself has stated that he loves Cannibal Corpse so I'm wondering why he'd make a statement like that about Slipknot's song / album.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:23 am 

I overall like the album, its not revolutionary like music journalists are making it out to be, but it's Slipknot. I still enjoy their albums from time to time. I listened to it less as a Metal album and more as a Pop album, so it has some catchy riffs and choruses. I actually really enjoyed the last two tracks, and there were moments on the album that reminded me a lot of Iowa.

I must say though, they write some pretty shit lyrics. Do they channel the angst of a 13-year old when writing these, or what?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:36 am 

ghost223 wrote:
I must say though, they write some pretty shit lyrics. Do they channel the angst of a 13-year old when writing these, or what?

That's the main demographic of slipknot fans, so I would think that they'd do this to a degree..

I'm not a fan of it. Honestly, I really do like Iowa and the first full length because of how fucking aggressive the band was back then (especially coreys screams). MFKR has its moments, but it's incredibly inconsistent and some parts sound like the band is just jamming on whatever and saying "hey, this is good enough to be on the album, let's do it".

Volume 3 was ok but was the start of the band having several tracks on an album that were downright terrible (Before I Forget, Pulse of the Maggots, Circle- fuck em to hell), and the start of Corey's crap vocals. This new album and the previous one just don't do shit for me. I hate how vanilla Corey's voice has gotten, and in general the band has turned that way compared to the older material.

On a side note, was the video for The Negative One just a massive rip off of Behemoth's Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel video, or was that just me?

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Bring back Anders Colsefni and electrical-taped manboobs! MFKR1, there is none higher!

They need to play "Do Nothing/Bitchslap" again \m/
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:24 pm 

Man, the album is weak as shit, even for their own standards. The guitar tone is terrible, so is Corey. The drums actually are not that bad in sound, but they are in performance, really boring grooves and fills. The riffs are for the most part horrible. There are some metallic sections here and there but the core of the songwriting is just plain bad.

The Negative One video was obviously done with Behemoth in mind. That kind of videos don't suit the Slipknot music at all IMO.
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Him and Don I give more leeway than Trunk. Trunk's the dunderhead but these two do actually listen to heavier bands. He was playing Exodus, Overkill, Testament, etc.. Florentine himself has stated that he loves Cannibal Corpse so I'm wondering why he'd make a statement like that about Slipknot's song / album.

Yeah, Don is a fan of Vital Remains & Acheron, and both Don & Jim listed that Derketa album as one of their favorite albums of 2012.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm 

I've NEVER liked this band, didn't listen to the whole album but the one track from it that is on the radio, come to think of it I do think it is actually "The Devil in I." I know I cant judge the album by just one track, but for what it's worth: "The Devil in I" does have one halfway decent, genuinely metal riff in it which could have sounded much better with a better guitar tone. But as one guy said above, the verses disrupt the flow of the song too much. And that always seemed typical of the flaws of this band- which (generally speaking) are awkward songwriting combined with bad noisy riffs and dull, albeit noisy, guitar tone.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 am 

I think the songs are hit or miss here and there, just like Iowa. Hate the production too, it just sounds lame in all the wrong places.

Their debut was ferocious yet with pretty good pacing and flow and that's why I like it the best. Mick Thompson can outplay many death metal guitarists at their own game and they really should be going for a more riff-based style like Machine Head.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:53 pm 

I'm legitimately surprised this many people even looked into it. Actually, I did, too! I saw a link to some article about the band on one of those sites like Metal Sucks (I don't know which site, because some of them are designed so similarly) and ended up skimming through a video for whatever the single of the new album is, and yes, it was really bad. As bad as what I've been hearing from Slipknot for the last ten years.

I loved this band when I was younger. It was right on target in the 5th-7th grades, but when you get older and you realize an adult male wrote a lot of these lyrics, it comes as sort of a shock and embarrassment when revisiting it. More to the point, the interesting musical/production elements seemed to become really streamlined, boring and generic by the Vol. 3 record. What little identity that band had to make them stand out as an interesting group (despite poor lyrics and an annoying vocalist) was gone by then for me.

...which brings me back around to my initial point, that it's odd anyone (myself included) had any desire to look into it, even momentarily. Embarrassing nostalgia trips aren't much fun. I certainly don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling whenever I hear Limp Bizkit's cover of "Faith" again, and I thought that was cool as hell when it came out.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:51 pm 

I wouldn't be too surprised at the amount of interest that was had in the album if I was you. Don't forget that, like it or not, Slipknot are one of the mainstream faces of heavy music and have been for a good decade plus at this point, not to mention that interest was peaking already after Paul Gray died. Joey Jordison getting fired only added to that.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:23 am 

Slipknot has been one of the few nu/core/alt/whatever metal bands to get any acclaim from metalheads actually. I couldn't stand them as a teenager, but it wasn't until I matured as a musician that I realized that (despite being painfully trendy) they've actually got an arsenal of good songs. And I think there will always be some appeal because despite having gimmicky, angsty, cringe worthy moments like much of their scene does, Slipknot is also probably the heaviest band to make it that far into the mainstream. Not to mention the technical ability of the real instrumentalists is pretty inspiring. Thompson, Root, Jordison and Gray have good lessons online applicable to all sorts of extreme metal.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:22 am 

^ that is true. Of the nu-metal and modern metalcore and pop-metal and what-have-you, Slipknot and Machine Head are a class above their A7X/BFMV/Korn/SOAD/Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park/Trivium without question. Maybe Trivium is closer to them but not a contender in terms of songwriting and musical ability. Slipknot's s/t and Burn My Eyes have never been equaled by any of the bands I mentioned previously and although Matt and Corey from Trivium are often hailed as guitar heroes on their generation, in my opinion they aren't nearly as proficient as Thompson and Root, or Flynn and Demmel.

niix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 pm 

..i would listen to 'danger, keep away..' when it rains out around here.. this, nowhereness.
the new cd sure is different.. the track 'iowa', and 'gently' are all i need from this band.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:46 am 

Machine Head was only ever associated with nu-metal in their Burning Red/Supercharger era. Otherwise they're just a straight up modern thrash band with obvious hardcore influences, with absolutely none of the hip-hop and alt-rock elements which defined nu-metal.

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:56 pm 

The other reason for metalheads to check this out is the potential that the band has to become a proper metal band. They are heavy enough and people know that at least the drummer and guitarists have the chops to play something better/heavier; there are some full metal sections here and there and they've been getting closer to full metalness progressively but ultimately failed to do so. It's a bit like the Soulfly thing. All people expected Max to return to metal and took quite some time to release a proper metal album under that name.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:41 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
The other reason for metalheads to check this out is the potential that the band has to become a proper metal band. They are heavy enough and people know that at least the drummer and guitarists have the chops to play something better/heavier; there are some full metal sections here and there and they've been getting closer to full metalness progressively but ultimately failed to do so. It's a bit like the Soulfly thing. All people expected Max to return to metal and took quite some time to release a proper metal album under that name.

you're going on the mistaken assumption that metal=good/better. slipknot plays their groove/nu-metal thing really well and they're the easily the pinnacle of the subgenre. but you say this as if from their perspective, "proper metal" is something to be aspired to. if i was them i'd kinda.... well i'd kinda spit on your condescension, you know?

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:42 pm 

But, you know? I'm talking from an average metalhead perspective (that was the point of 'why so many metalheads check in Slipknot). Most of metalheads I know despise nu/groove metal, Slipknot included. I'm just saying that if they went straight into thrash/groove/death influenced metal they could be more widely accepted by the metal community or the portion that don't like them. For the nu metal community they're probably the best shit of the universe, but I doubt most people here share that view; at least I doubt plenty of people have Slipknot ranked above their fav metal bands.

And well, its my opinion. It's not like I'm making a statement in behalf of anyone here or the band, nor I'm insulting anyone either. If you don't like it, just deal with it or just try to not get worked out or something.

(And damn, I listen non metal music almost as much as metal).

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:20 pm 

I check in on Slipknot because I enjoy some of their songs. It has nothing to do with if they're 'more metal' on the next record or some juvenile way of thinking. If I want to listen to death metal I'll listen to death metal.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:37 am 

I think it certainly crosses my mind that "hmm, it could be cool if they sounded more traditional or more metal on this album" but it's not an expectation. I'd much rather hear them do what they do really well than suck at trying to change their sound. Too bad they didn't take the right pointers in that respect.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:30 am 

The point about Slipknot having the chops to play a form of metal more accepted by the community here and thus the latter possibly checking their new shit out isn't wrong or insulting though. It's akin to how I will always check out new Megadeth material even though nothing Mustaine has written since 2009 has interested me in the slightest. One of the greatest riffmasters in the entire metal genre coupled with arguably equally talented bass and lead guitar players have unlimited potential regardless of how crappy their recent output may be. Plus they've proved that they're perfectly capable of a smashing comeback after a period of mediocrity.

AYearInExile
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:12 pm 

Didn't read any of the posts above, just dropped by to say it was absolutely fucking horrible and it lasted over a fucking hour. All lyrics are awful, musical content is fucking ridiculous. I listened to them when I was young so I thought I'd give this one a try. Never been so offended by an album.

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:17 am 

They used to have a really heavy guitar sound, I have no idea what happend to it over the years, because the guitars in the new album just sounds weak, although they did try to write songs that sound kinda like Iowa in places. The lyrics are like they always were, Corey was never the most mature writer, so that is no surprise there.

The part that annoys me is that out of all the songs "The devil in I" is the best and when they go in the blastbeat part the guitars just sound weak, that song could have been so much better if they had a punch and that is basically what is wrong with the album for me and why it sounds bland and borring.

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:01 pm 

Slipknot had a crucial role in getting me into metal. All Hope Is Gone was the first record that I heard that gave me that feeling of finally finding something I can get behind after 18 years (I know, late start, but when you`re raised by country and grow up with American Idol, metal isn`t exactly something that crosses your path). Eventually got the rest of their albums, spun them a few times, then kind of lost interest in the band over the next few years as I delved deeper into metal.

6 years later, they`re back, and I think the simple response to the album is it`s okay. Not saying it`s bad, but aside from "The Devil In I", no song really kept me interested for very long. And the record is long. I`m not against long albums, but there`s not enough compelling things happening here to warrant its length.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next