Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:59 pm 

So a couple nights ago something neat happened to me on my way home, and it's been bouncing around in my brain ever since. So I'll share my story here, copied from facebook for simplicity's sake.

Some necessary facts to preface it with: I live on a duck hunting club on a tidal flat that separates it from the nearest city. It's only (easily) accessible by water, so twice a day, to get to my car and get back home, I have to take a boat. I love it but it's not a perfect system. I ride a 14 foot jonboat with a four stroke outboard motor. It's not huge and crazy heavy but it sure ain't no kayak either. Onwards...

Quote:
So last night I was headed home later than usual, and didn't launch my boat until well into sunset. Of course, my motor fails halfway home, and I'm stranded in the middle of a tide flat with nothing to guide me but moonlight. I end up having to row the rest of the way home (with only one oar!), for about 20ish minutes. Get home and let the club owner and caretaker know. I don't have any options to repair it right now with no power and no access to other motors.

So today I'm forced to row the full cruise to my car. What is usually a 5 minute boat ride turns into a grueling but peaceful 40 minute slog to the marina. I get to work (on time!) and I had a 10 hour day, constructing stilling wells to house water sampling technology, all in the hot sun and up to my waist in mud. It kinda ruled.

Thankfully my motor is repaired while I'm at work, by the club caretaker/my awesome housemate Uncle Bob. I'm able to cruise home tonight... And what do I find other than a family stranded in the flat, with motor problems of their own! They even had young children with them who were on their very first boat trip, and not particularly enjoying it. So I couldn't refuse taking the time out of my day to tie their boat to mine and tow them back to the dock. It went swimmingly and all is well with the world. I might have been super grumpy after this crazy past 24 hours but getting to help some worried people on a dire time has lifted my spirits.

Pass on a good deed, yeah?

What are the chances that the very day after I get stranded in the marsh at nighttime, it's me that's able to help out a family that's going through the same thing?? One of their children was mentally disabled as well, and he was very panicky by the time I arrived. If I hadn't happened to pass them and choose to answer when they flagged me down, then they might have been stuck on the water in the cold, wet darkness all night. It took us a couple tries to get us moving because their powerboat was so much larger than my jonboat, but we were well on our way to the nearest dock before the sun had completely set. Never even asked their name, we were just (literally) ships passing in the night before we separated.

So does anyone else have some stories about passing on good karma? Did you ever go out of your way to help a stranger, with either something small that made them smile or something bigger than saved their week? Let's spread some positivity and random acts of kindness! :)

DecemberSoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:40 pm 

Today I got off the train station, which is almost always a very busy, hectic and crowded place, with people rushing and storming past each other. While many were preoccupied (numb and dumb) with their cell phones and others caught up in their own stressful agenda, I noticed 2 small children holding hands, roaming the spot seemingly unaccompanied by any adults. This may not be much of an unusual sight in third world countries -and I mean that without any shred of disrespect or arrogance- but it's certainly highly uncommon in here. The older one was a boy, about 4 years old, walking with an even younger girl, 2.5 to 3 years old. The boy showed signs of stress (chewing his free hand) and appeared to look out for someone. I was worried not to see anyone else noticing them, so I decided to keep an eye on them instead of just going home, remaining distant yet ready to approach them at any moment should one of them or both start crying/having a breakdown, or being talked to by someone. I might add at this point that I have been working with children for the past 15 years, so I know how to communicate with them and take care of them appropriately. I also kept looking for any police men or women to tell them about these kids. About 2 minutes later (which was a very uncomfortable time given the circumstances) of them strolling about and me considering calling the police, they ran toward an older boy, an 11-year-old by my estimation. Judging by their body language, they knew each other well and I deemed the oldest one capable of being in charge over the younger ones, so I eventually left, taking one last look around me to see if anyone else had been on guard - apparently not, instead there was still just this sad stream of zombified people glued to their screens, unaware of what was going on around them.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:08 pm 

Nice going, TheExodusAttack!

A few years ago I was walking down the street when a lady was walking the other way. She looked in a horrible way and as soon as I was within talking distance she asked me for help. I was on guard thinking it was some kind of ruse/ploy, but all she wanted was help carrying her groceries up the street (it was a slight incline). She then started crying in desperation, so I offered to help her. She then told me she has been sexually assaulted and had walked there from the police station, which is easily over an hour's walk. I carried her groceries to where she needed and she thanked me profusely. We hugged and she cried in my shoulder.

Another time I was refueling my car and I accidentally paid for the wrong pump. I went back into the service station to pay for mine after I realised my mistake and the family that were at the pump I paid for went to pay for theirs. I overheard the clerk say that there was a "problem" and the family didn't know what to do. I wanted to leave it as a random act of kindness but to avoid confusion on everyone's part, I piped up that I had accidentally paid for it. The family basically threw their money at me after I told them to have a nice day and not worry about it. I think I got about $50 from them so that was okay.

Earlier this year I drove to Sydney airport twice in three days to drop off and pick up a friend so she wouldn't have to deal with public transport. She told me not to but I did it anyway. She wanted McDonald's but felt bad for asking me to stop for her, but I did anyway. She ended up giving me money for it even though I didn't require/ask for it.

There might be others, but apart from those tangible things, I always listen to people's problems, especially if they're psychological, if they come to me so that could be counted as a non-random act of kindness I try to employ everyday.
I have Facebook again. Make me not lame on there. (Let me know who you are first, of course.)

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:53 am 

Good thread. I have rather few stories of my own, I'm afraid. I was pretty fiscally generous back when I was single- big donations to various gofundmes, various charities etc, paying for dudes' recording costs and the like but that's dried up a bit now that there's a mortgage and whatnot bearing down on my bank account.

Probably my biggest thing recently was driving someone up to geraldton (fellow workmate) all the way from Perth because his car broke down and his kid was sick, and he desperately wanted to get home. Not so much the fuel cost as the time (it's 9 hours return from perth-geraldton), that's definitely the most selfless I've ever been towards a stranger/acquaintance I guess.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:04 am 

I liked a post about homelessness on facebook.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:37 am 

A woman with a stroller had dropped her cell phone and I ran after and gave it to her. Someone else could easily have stolen it since no-one else was around. When she got it back she said something to the effect that her whole life is in that phone.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:45 pm 

Dembo wrote:
A woman with a stroller had dropped her cell phone and I ran after and gave it to her. Someone else could easily have stolen it since no-one else was around. When she got it back she said something to the effect that her whole life is in that phone.

last year I somehow put mine down and left our equivalent of Walmart without mine. got to my car, realized it (luckily I always plug in the aux for music, otherwise I wouldn't have checked), rushed back in to the cashier only to find someone moments later was handing it in and had tried dialing 'mom' from my Contacts to report that the lost item could be picked up from the store).

they could've very easily put it in plane mode and pocketed it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 pm 

About a month or two ago I was driving home from university and on the roundabout to enter the freeway I saw a car had stopped with its hood open. Clearly they've broken down and they were in a dangerous spot where there were plenty of cars entering and exiting the freeway. A woman was standing next to the car, so I stopped next to her and asked her if everything was okay. She told me she has already called roadside assistance/her husband/boyfriend/whatever so things were in motion to get her off the road. She did say that of the hundreds of cars to go by, I was the only one to stop, and she said "more people should be like you." That made me feel good.
I have Facebook again. Make me not lame on there. (Let me know who you are first, of course.)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:21 pm 

Not a big one, but I was going to a festival yesterday with my girlfriend with the intent of buying tickets at the gate. Some random woman near the gate intercepted us and just handed us an extra ticket she had. Didn't ask for money or anything, just gave us a $20 ticket for free. I can't think of the last time I've had generosity just fall into my lap like that.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:03 pm 

Did you check the back for blood?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:05 pm 

Shortly after moving to Illinois I grabbed some shit from Ikea for my new place only to find that the desk was too long for my car by only a few inches. A family who was loading their van next to mine offered to drive it over to my place - so we did, and they even had one of their kids help me get it up to my second-floor apartment. Also notable in that I didn't know anyone in the area yet/all my friends + girlfriend were several hours out-of-state and I was in a generally sullen and irritable mood as a result; seeing that family's generosity lightened my mood a bit when I certainly needed it.

Edit: Oh shit, this was supposed to be about something you yourself did. Welp I'm sure there's something out there but I'm too tired to write it now.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:36 pm 

Well I guess I do have a contribution to the "pat yourself on the back" thread. About two years ago I stopped at a Wendy's to get some food after work and noticed an old man rocking his parked car back and forth in the parking lot. I asked him what was up and he explained that the key sometimes won't come out of the ignition and it seems to fix if he gets out and rocks the car enough. Seemed suspect to me so I help him rock the car a few times to no avail. I go into the car to try turning it myself and realize his equally ancient wife was in the passenger seat waiting patiently. Tried shifting it out of park a few times (I had a similar problem in my old car and the issue was bad wiring beneath the shifter that wouldn't register the car being in park) and it still wasn't working. I called my buddy who is a mid level corporate guy for a major American manufacturer and after running some diagnostics over the phone with him we determined the car was busted for the time being. I went inside and explained to the manager at the Wendy's that there was a breakdown so please don't call for a tow, we'll take care of it tomorrow. He agreed so I offered to drive the old couple home. That poor woman had to be at least three centuries old so I assembled her walker to walk over to my car and then disassembled it and helped her in. I drove them a mile or two to their house and dropped them off, assembled the walker and helped them both to their door. I feel kinda bad not getting their phone numbers or going to check on them afterwards, but I'd like to think I helped them out a lot that day anyway. The woman kept fawning over me, saying I "must be a very good Christian boy", apparently ignoring the gigantic flaming pentagram on my shirt.

I missed a Tinder date for that, and I'd like to think I made the better choice.

TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:38 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Well I guess I do have a contribution to the "pat yourself on the back thread

Ha, yeah maybe I should have prefaced this saying that it shouldn't devolve into "the humblebrag thread" or anything like that. It's a hard line to define but I think we should all know what separates a self-center, self-congratulatory story from one that truly helped someone.

Also, no need for it to be something you did! If generosity just fell on your map like FSM's story, then let's hear it! Something like that can really put life in perspective, and maybe a reader will remember it when they have the opportunity to do the same.

For example, when I was like 14-15 or so, I was at the record store and decided that day I was finally gonna buy Atheist - Piece of Time and hear this technical death metal thing for myself. But when I went to check out, my card is declined. I only had the thing for a few months and it basically just existed to help me budget my allowance, which apparently I was failing at :P so I give the CD back and dejectedly walk away. But just a minute later, just outside of the store doors, the guy behind me in line walks after me and reveals he's bought the CD for me! He was a fairly scruffy/transient-looking fellow and I was flabbergasted. He specifically asked me to pay it forward but being an idiot teenager I'm sure I didn't. I only just remembered this story a few days ago, but I like to think I'm prepared to do the same thing for a young kid if I witnessed it.

I wonder if he would still would have done it if I was buying a Smiths or Lady Gaga CD.

Craniums
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 pm 

There's a lot of beggars in my city, some of them roam close to where I work. Sometimes I give them spare change, and whenever I have more money than I need, buy them a small meal.

rawsewage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:05 pm 

I let a homeless old man live with me for about a year. I knew him from the store I had. He would come in everyday for a coffee. He told me he was staying at some ladies house he knew but she threw him out when they didn't need his car anymore. I was living alone so I enjoyed the company.

TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:23 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
I let a homeless old man live with me for about a year. I knew him from the store I had. He would come in everyday for a coffee. He told me he was staying at some ladies house he knew but she threw him out when they didn't need his car anymore. I was living alone so I enjoyed the company.

Holy shit man, I think you've got the rest of us beat. What a commitment! What was that living arrangement like, did things go well? Are you still in touch with them?

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 pm 

Some guy dropped his wallet the other day while I was at work. I made sure to get his contact info and get in touch with him so he could get his wallet back.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:41 pm 

I walked an aging, blind grad student to the front of the shuttle line. Here's a thumb in your eye, privileged sighted undergrads!

I've run into her on the train before. She's working on her philosophy Master's thesis. Has to listen to all class material read to her by a robot.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:05 pm 

This guy was helping my band get our gear off stage at the Rotting Christ show (after we got our set cut short causing mass confusion and stress amongst us) so I gave him some free merch since he said he spent all of his money on tickets to the show but wanted to support us.
Mesmur (Funeral Doom)

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:06 am 

On King Diamond's first return to the States the Halloween show sold out. I was in line for a long time and my friend stopped by to hang out with me for 3 hours, haven't seen him in a while during that time, missed the fucker. These guys behind us overheard he wasn't here for the show especially since he didn't have cash to spend. One of the guy's brothers couldn't make it so he gives my friend a pit ticket for the show, no questions asked, didn't ask for money, he just told him to pass the kindness along to make the world less shitty. Nearly fucking cried and ever since then I've passed the karma along, outside of metal too.

As for me I've given away tickets for countless shows, I don't expect shit in return because it makes me happy to support the scene as it is, the more people in the pit the better. I also help out every time I find a lost phone at work or lost shoes in the pit (I've had 4 pairs on me once, not matching either) and people are always grateful. It does make me sad though, I've been told it's rare to see someone being nice nowadays, and I don't really do anything out of the ordinary.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:13 am 

Great idea for a thread! I drink different beers just so I can post them to my untappd profile, so maybe this thread will encourage me to find good deeds to do just so I can post them here!

Anyway, nothing much comes to mind, but a few years back me and my GF bought a bouquet of flowers to give her friend who was in hospital. When we got there, it turned out her friend had already been checked out without us being told. So rather than waste the flowers we wandered over to the maternity ward and walked into the first open room we saw. There was a quite young looking girl (probably 16 or so?) on the bed probably about to go into labour. It was just her and her mum in the room. So we gave them the flowers. I think the girl was too whacked out on painkillers to know or care who we were, but she still thanked us anyway, as did her mum.

MammothRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:01 pm 

Schizoid, that reminds me of something I did a couple years ago.

I was at a children's hospital for a checkup for something that I was there for almost a decade ago. Anyways, on my way out I figured I'd stop at the gift shop that's downstairs and pick something up for one of the kids there. I bought a pretty sweet stuffed cheetah, and went upstairs to deliver it. My plan was to just walk into one of the rooms and give it to whoever was in there, but one of the people at the front desk said I couldn't do that, something to do with not knowing where it came from. I thought that was kind of odd, considering I had just bought it. Anyways, they have this area where the kids can go to hang out when they aren't stuck in bed. There was only the volunteer and one kid there, so I asked her what I could do about it. I told her I just bought it, but took the tag off so the price wasn't visible. She said normally doing something like that wasn't allowed, but I knew her well enough from my stay that she said it'd be alright. I asked the young girl there if she'd like it, and she excitedly said yes. It was a great feeling to make someone else happy like that, especially with what those kids have to go through.

rawsewage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:46 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
rawsewage wrote:

Holy shit man, I think you've got the rest of us beat. What a commitment! What was that living arrangement like, did things go well? Are you still in touch with them?

It was only a 1 bedroom apartment so he slept on the couch in the living room. We never argued about anything. We would mostly just watch Action movies or Baseball. Me and a couple other people were trying to help him out with his VA benefits. He was a Korean War vet who got hit with some shrapnel from a grenade and he was getting jack shit from the VA. I'm pretty sure he had PTSD because every once in awhile I would hear him wake up screaming. Sadly after I lost everything in New Jersey I lost contact with him. I do think about him quite a bit and hope someone else helped him out.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:20 pm 

That's a great story, rawsewage! I hope he got back on his feet after your selflessness. :)

Random acts of kindness can stem from anything, though - any kind of action that spreads happiness to other people. While rawsewage's story is large, I probably wouldn't go quantifying the stories posted because even the smallest things can change people's moods for the better. :)

To put a very recent example, last week a friend of mine was going through some bad stuff, and when I saw her at university I knew she was struggling. We ended up chatting over Facebook and she revealed that she's having multiple problems with stuff in her life. I was going to see her the following evening at the uni, so during the day I bought her a Snickers chocolate bar, since I knew she liked it and I thought I would brighten her evening. She arrived to uni on Wednesday night really struggling, so I gave her the Snickers bar. She changed instantly knowing that someone was thinking of her and she felt a lot more happy. And this is what I'm alluding to: acts of kindness don't have to be life-changing, but they can just be tiny things to improve the world. :)

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:19 pm 

I've been wanting to bring food we usually throw out like breadsticks and pizza to the homeless shelter, but my manager says they used to do that until homeless started hanging out near the store and bothered customers. Oh well. You'd be surprised how much food goes to waste at restaurants.

I hate music

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:31 pm 

iAm wrote:
You'd be surprised how much food goes to waste at restaurants.

Not really, personally. It's kind of sad that it can't be repurposed.

Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 pm 

When I used to work at a McDonald's, we would throw out 2 or 3 bins worth of food on some nights. Made me sick to my stomach every time. I mean yeah it's McFood, but it's still disgustingly wasteful.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:37 am 

My drunk friend knocked over his beer bottle accidentally in a restaurant last night. Somehow two pieces of the shattered bottle ended up in the guy's food on the next table. My friend refused to apologise for some reason, so I apologised a couple of times, although the couple were of Korean descent and didn't really know what to do/what was happening.

When we paid, I told the waiter that I will pay for their meal. Well then TWO HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS LATER we're all square. Tip: never be a good samaritan when loaded. :durr:

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:52 am 

MikeyC wrote:
When we paid, I told the waiter that I will pay for their meal. Well then TWO HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS LATER we're all square. Tip: never be a good samaritan when loaded. :durr:

:lol: Love your work Mikey.

TheConqueror1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:49 pm 

I gave my Playstation 4 to some foster kids. I felt pretty good about it.

Reply to topic