Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Barbecuetioner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:47 pm 

Hi. just wondering if anyone has ever suffered some permanent hearing damage from going to gigs? I saw Tankard a week ago and my ears are still ringing like fuck. Being that i live out in the middle of nowhere i only got to the ciity for 5-10 gigs a year, i'm now concerned i may have contracted Tinnitus, and considering how quiet it is here at night the silence literally is deafening!

why
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:06 pm 

Metal will impair your hearing, destroy your neck and make you worship satan. Deal with it.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:14 pm 

Make sure you wear ear plugs to any show you go to, regardless of genre. I have mild Tinnitus from a few years of going to shows without ear plugs because I was an idiot teenager.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:16 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
Make sure you wear ear plugs to any show you go to, regardless of genre. I have mild Tinnitus from a few years of going to shows without ear plugs because I was an idiot teenager.

Definitely this. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is objectively wrong. That said, the shows I did happen to go to without hearing protection weren't horrible but also not that pleasant.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:56 pm 

why wrote:
destroy your neck

I'm only eighteen and I've already felt these effects from headbanging.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:58 pm 

When i first started going to gigs the sound volume and more impact on the short term but these days I adjust very fast. However i feel like im lucky for 2 reasons, dutch sound laws are quite strict and i seem to have luck with my ears. I never get ringing just this weird numblikeness which apparently its a sign of your body protecting itself. I apparently can hear better than most of my peers too.
I have used ear plugs but it required a lot of fiddling to find something that would lower the volume in the right way without going overboard with it by the time i did i lost my (fairly expensive) plugs.

I do definitely use plugs when rehearsing with my band though. That is something on a other level volume wise.

Barbecuetioner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:38 pm 

ghost223 wrote:

I have been doing this lately but for this gig I accidentally left them in the car so didn't worry about... idiot I am

is there potential for it to get worse even with wearing earplugs at future gigs?

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:44 pm 

as far as i know its a sliding slope. Once you get it it is bound to get worse if you dont take much stricter precautions.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:29 pm 

I've been to 7 concerts, and 4 of them I went without hearing protection. Luckily I didn't suffer any hearing damage whatsoever, even after being literally pressed right up against a speaker for about 40 minutes of a show back in 2003. Then I thought about it and realized that I value quiet time a LOT, and could even become suicidal if I got tinnitus and could no longer enjoy sitting in silence. So I got a good pair of earplugs, and now I can go to shows, come home, and hear everything just as well as before I left. So wear 'em before it's too late, kids.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:31 pm 

Two places to always wear ear plugs: metal concerts, and your mom's house. :evil:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 pm 

Ear plugs all the time for everything. I plan on listening to my collection all my life, not just a tiny bit of it.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:19 am 

I'll never forget seeing an old dude at a show wearing ear plugs. He was in it for the long game.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:36 am 

Always wear earplugs at gigs, you'll protect your hearing and get the moment of satisfaction of when you're stepping out of the venue, pulling them out, and listening to your friends who had mocked you for wearing them saying any variant of "my fucking ears are killing me!"

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:25 pm 

Yea, after attending a metal venue, I noticed an unbearable amount of tennitis that lasted for days. I think its worth ridicule by friends to get yourself some protection. When you turn 40, you will still be able to hear while your friends can't.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 pm 

Every few months there's one of these threads. Earring loss is permanent, you're hearing won't magically grow back.

These days I carry earplugs with me pretty much everywhere because it's not just concerts that are retardedly loud, you've got night clubs and bars that usually crank up the music, construction sites, gardening equipment, train and car horns, gyms, announcement speakers, even the odd retail store. Most of these can be avoided by simply standing a good distance away but for anything else, where you're stuck there, it's better to wear them.

I do find it funny and backwards that people into metal who mostly wear shocking or confronting images for display worry about how they'll look with earplugs.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:47 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Earring loss is permanent

Not always. Jewelry stores usually stock extra pairs, so it's worth calling and seeing about a replacement.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 am 

Yep. I'll admit I set myself up for that one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:28 pm 

I rather not find out if it's permanent or reversible.

Ear plugs for shows, ear plugs for practice, ear plugs for even just playing some guitar at a lower vol. ear plugs for any sort of equipment I'm running, ear plugs for noisy vehicles I'm driving. ear plugs always ... pretty much the same as volutetheswarth. I like being able to hear.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Reply to topic