Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:22 am 

This is hilarious, and embarrassing, but lately i've been trying to cut down on the amount of money i spend on beer. Usually i buy an a European imported lager, sometimes a nice craft brew boutique beer to go along with that, but not lately. This one indian dairy downtown is pretty decent with the beer specials - and a few months ago i noticed that they fucking resurrected Rheineck - yes, holy FUCK. The king of 1980's shitty, cheap, 3.5% fucking beer! I never thought i'd see the day where i'd drink this beer again, but fuck - this shit is $8 a fucking dozen (330ml cans), and it's on the way to band practice! I've bought a few boxes, had to - on my last $10 etc - and seriously it's not as bad as i had remembered. Granted, i prefer to call it a beer substitute, but at $8 per dozen, i don't really have a place to complain. Hilarious and embarrassing. ;)

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 am 

Pretty much what I have access to is average generic Coors-esque stuff, too salty.

Had a German dark brew once, can't recall the name, but it was great.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:14 am 

The last really bloody great beer I had was A Samuel Smith (UK) Old Brewery Pale Ale. Really smooth, clean amber coloured beer, with fantastic flavour. Perfect for winter, as you could sit on it for a while - as it warms up the flavour increased.

Right now I'm drinking an Oettinger pilsner. A little rough around the edges, yet still leagues ahead of most of our local swill.

My collection

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:02 pm 

Recently picked up sixers of Seirra Nevada Porter and Kellerweis. Good stuff.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 pm 

theheinouskilling667 wrote:
Pretty much what I have access to is average generic Coors-esque stuff, too salty.

....what?

DRD, that makes me sad. Around here you can get a 30-pack of piss lager for $11-12.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:14 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

....what?

Can't recall if that was the exact brand, it was some really common beer here. Had some blue mountains on the bottle.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:16 pm 

Sounds like Coors, yeah...but I've never had a beer I'd describe as salty. I wouldn't describe Coors that way. It's mostly just sort of a skunky, rotting vegetables/corn taste with a bit of sweetness and a metallic tinge. And way too much carbonation.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:18 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Sounds like Coors, yeah...but I've never had a beer I'd describe as salty. I wouldn't describe Coors that way. It's mostly just sort of a skunky, rotting vegetables/corn taste with a bit of sweetness and a metallic tinge. And way too much carbonation.

Yeah, but it was all that was there, so fuck it. I prefer milk plus, about a shot of rum into a cup of milk.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:37 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

....what?

DRD, that makes me sad. Around here you can get a 30-pack of piss lager for $11-12.

Yeah well this stuff is shitty, but it's not the absolute bottom of the barrel. There are believe it or not worse/cheaper beers around the place.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:04 pm 

i was surprised to find out they had already switched the Sam Adams seasonal from Summer Ale to Octoberfest, it's only late August.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:57 am 

Picked up a bottle of Herold's Bohemian Black Lager as well as their returned Wheat Lager. Czech wheat lager you say? Tastes a lot like wheat lagers everywhere. Then again, at that point I had drunk a bottle of wine already so I wasn't at my prime tasting point. The first drink of the night was the Black Lager though and that thing was delicious. A lot of roasted malt in the taste as well as some sweetness and a bit of nuts. Great mouthfeel as well as drinkability. And not too expensive here in Finland, the land of expensive beer.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:50 pm 

I had my first legal alcohol last night at the stroke of midnight! Didn't drink much that night, Old Milwaukee and Genesee for pregaming (yeah yeah I know I know, utter crap but I wasn't about to head to the bars completely dry), but I did have a Magic Hat #9 and Dogfish 60 Minute IPA when I got to the bars. First one was a random pick and a bit too fruity for my tastes, the second one was a known drink to my taste buds and deliciously bitter.

I'm looking forward to checking out and trying new beers now that I'm not restrained by the law and don't have to settle for drinking cheap shit most of my peers buy. :)

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:15 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
i was surprised to find out they had already switched the Sam Adams seasonal from Summer Ale to Octoberfest, it's only late August.

Eh, not too surprising. You gotta start getting the Fall beers out as summer is going to end soon. Fall beer time is my favorite! All the Oktoberfest and other autumn beers...what a great time for beer!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:35 pm 

Fall beers ain't no thang. Winter beers are where it's at. Barleywines, imperial stouts and winter warmers, oh my!

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 am 

are Belgian style wheats "the shit" when it comes to fall beer?

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:40 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
are Belgian style wheats "the shit" when it comes to fall beer?

I like witbeers more in the summer than the fall, but hell, I'll drink a good witbeer anytime of the year. For fall, I'd go with harvest ales, pumpkin ales, stouts and porters, personally. Marzen/Oktoberfest too.

deathill777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:58 am 

Over here we drink SMB, its pretty dirt cheap(.25$?) to what you guys are drinking and has a very awesome distinct taste.

SuckYourHead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:18 am 

Beer from Poland and Belgium are the best, beer from Australia and the US are crap.

I'm into a Polish beer at the moment called Tyskie... 5.6% but you wouldn't know it.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 am 

for the liquor fans,
try some Hot Buttered Rum, only if it's properly made.
oh wow, good stuff.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 pm 

SuckYourHead wrote:
Beer from Poland and Belgium are the best, beer from Australia and the US are crap.

Not entirely true, there are a lot of good US beers, but if your only exposure is Budweiser, Miller, etc. (and, depending on where you live, it might be), then I can see why you'd have that opinion. Sam Adams is generally a good, widely distributed beer (they have a few styles I don't care for, but most of their stuff is good). There are a lot of good, US-based craft beers, too, but they may be harder to come by for some folks outside the US.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm 

SuckYourHead wrote:

Not entirely true, there are a lot of good US beers, but if your only exposure is Budweiser, Miller, etc. (and, depending on where you live, it might be), then I can see why you'd have that opinion. Sam Adams is generally a good, widely distributed beer (they have a few styles I don't care for, but most of their stuff is good). There are a lot of good, US-based craft beers, too, but they may be harder to come by for some folks outside the US.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:27 pm 

SuckYourHead wrote:

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm 

I LOVE Belgian beers. I could drink Trappist Westmalle by the gallon.
Death metal is eternal.

Rustneversleeps
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:20 pm 

:) It's about that time of year when the LCs start carrying more imports. Anyway, I happened across a case of this alluring stuff the other week:

Unfortunately I was underwhelmed, but for $5.50/4 beers I'm not entirely surprised.. and at least I have a new decorative organizer/folder/whatever to put my notes and stuff in.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:28 pm 

Having just turned twenty one, I've been exploring beers beyond PBR and Steel Reserve. I bought a wheat beer that was excellent, and also a couple of different brown ales. I will steer away from IPA at least for the time being. I truly abhor the taste.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 pm 

You can work your way up to IPA's pretty easily. From things like bitters or brown ales, give a try to some English ESB's, then some American ESB's or English Pale Ales, then some American Pale Ales or English IPA's, then American IPA's then on to the double/imperial IPA's. It's all about slowly building a tolerance for the IBU's while simultaneously developing a taste for the hops themselves.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:49 pm 

I only drink bum wine and Steel Reserve because I'm white trash and an alcoholic who can't hold down (much less find enjoyment from drinking) hard liquor.

I had Yuengling on tap once, and I thought it was really good... but that's about as "fancy" as I've ever gotten.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:29 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You can work your way up to IPA's pretty easily. From things like bitters or brown ales, give a try to some English ESB's, then some American ESB's or English Pale Ales, then some American Pale Ales or English IPA's, then American IPA's then on to the double/imperial IPA's. It's all about slowly building a tolerance for the IBU's while simultaneously developing a taste for the hops themselves.

I'll have to keep this in mind. I'm sipping on Stone's Ruination IPA at the moment. I've heard great things about it, but having never tried an IPA (I don't think...), it's a bit overwhelming.

I loved their Imperial Russian Stout when I had that, though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 am 

Stone's notorious for going really heavy-handed on their hops, and Ruination is their Imperial IPA (their regular IPA is just called "IPA"). So yeah...Ruination, for someone trying to get into/used to the hoppiness of IPA's would be like making someone trying to get used to blastbeats listen to Panzer Division Marduk or something.

Oh, another thing: make sure you're drinking your IPA's out of a glass! Regular ones do fine in just a pint glass, but really heavy imperial ones are best in a snifter, I find. Sucking them out of the bottle is really rough because you get all of the bitter hops flavor and almost none of the fruity aromatics, which really help to counter that bitterness. Even lighter ones like Dogfish Head 60 Minute can be awfully bitter straight out of the bottle.

SuckYourHead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:33 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
SuckYourHead wrote:

Yeah, it's a fair point, I guess it's like me saying all american death metal is shit because Cannibal Corpse are.

Underground beer ftw!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh, another thing: make sure you're drinking your IPA's out of a glass! Regular ones do fine in just a pint glass, but really heavy imperial ones are best in a snifter, I find. Sucking them out of the bottle is really rough because you get all of the bitter hops flavor and almost none of the fruity aromatics, which really help to counter that bitterness. Even lighter ones like Dogfish Head 60 Minute can be awfully bitter straight out of the bottle.

Snifter, huh? I wonder if I should get one, since I have a couple of Imperial IPAs (Nøgne Ø #100) aging at my apartment. Does it really improve it a lot? Well, I should really get a snifter anyway.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 pm 

Snifters are really great for just about any really heavy beer, like imperial IPA's, imperial stouts, barley and wheatwines, etc.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:32 am 

I enjoys such fine hopsy products as...(in no real order)

-Blue moon
-Leinenkugels
-Sam Adams
-Heinekin
-Gumball Head
-Alpha King
-Mickey's
-Steel reserve 211 ( i just can't help myself (and at 8.0% for a BEER, why should I)
-Killians
-Landshark
- Dos Equis
- Budwieser isn't terrible
-and hell there's probably more i can't even think of right now

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

I'll have to keep this in mind. I'm sipping on Stone's Ruination IPA at the moment. I've heard great things about it, but having never tried an IPA (I don't think...), it's a bit overwhelming.

I loved their Imperial Russian Stout when I had that, though.

Ah, Stone! I want to try the Imperial Russian Stout. I've had there Smoked Porter, which was great, and I have a bottle of their Arrogant Bastard Ale at home. Good stuff!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:37 pm 

I've never had an Amsdel light, but i heard they're good, any truth to that? I've always meant to try it out, i just never have :/

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 pm 

Nothing with the word "light" in it is worth your time. Doesn't just apply to beer, either.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Nothing with the word "light" in it is worth your time. Doesn't just apply to beer, either.

That's usually the case. However i find Sam Adams light is pretty damn good still

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:51 pm 

There's a lot of light beers that are great. Form your own opinions.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:57 pm 

Just not crappy ones like rexxz's.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:58 pm 

Any of my opinions beat yours, poser!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next