Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:56 pm 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/07/16/ru ... ecem-fall/

One Reddit user who claims his or her source is “rock solid” is reporting that Tool’s new album — their first in ten years — will be coming out this fall. The album, which has allegedly already been mixed, will be titled Decem and will consist of two discs.

Though all but the title of the original Reddit thread has since been removed, various sites including Ultimate Guitar picked it up before that happened. The post read:

I think Tool has been leading us on in the press. I absolutely cannot reveal my sources for this. Let’s just say that the mixing process has happened.

I will try to get any additional piece of information I can to try and add further validity. I’m excited too and I hope this is true. Under no circumstance will I reveal any personal information about the source.

Although I really don’t think this is a troll job from my source, there is one thing that makes me suspicious. ‘Decem,’ if my research is right, means ‘ten.’ Could that refer to the 10 years between albums? If so, that seems awful meta for Tool.

I’m a huge fan of Tool myself and will be disappointed if it’s not true. I just wanted to share what could possibly be huge news in the music world.

The post also revealed the purported tracklisting. Tool have been playing part of “Descending” at their live performances recently, and the track times are in line with Melvins’ ringleader Buzz Osborne’s claim last month (via his buddy Adam Jones) that no song on the album is under 12 minutes long (although it’s worth noting he also said nothing had been recorded yet).

Disc 1:
1. Abscissa (13:47)
2. The Awakening (12:03)
3. Gematria (Act I) (14:33)
4. Regresolution (13:56)
5. Divinotus (12:45)
6. Astral (Act II) (12:21)

Disc 2:
7. Descending (13:53)
8. Decem (12:22)
9. Lesous (Act III) (12:43)
10. Principles of March (12:01)
11. Pascal’s Wager (13:46)
12. Zeta (Act IV) (14:27)

Other users on the Reddit thread claim that the band is planning a tour (the source claims to work in the “touring industry”) and that the band’s official webstore ToolArmy.com recently got a revamp. Both of these things could signal new Tool music is on the way… but could also just be coincidence.

So: is this a troll job by Tool? That certainly wouldn’t be unprecedented — Tool are notorious for fucking with their fans. Is it a unfounded rumor started by a fan? I wouldn’t put that past humanity, either. Or is it actually true?

We’ll find out soon enough — if indeed a new Tool album will be released this fall, the marketing efforts for that will need to begin soon.

More as we learn it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:10 pm 

Could be for real since they've already done the whole fake tracklist/titles thing with the last album.

Niklas Sanger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:05 pm 

They can take all the time they want, I love Tool but they're not the only progressive rock band in the world. (Someone should explain this to their fans)

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:11 am 

droneriot wrote:
Could be for real since they've already done the whole fake tracklist/titles thing with the last album.
I doubt even Tool would be pretentious enough to go with those song titles/song lengths/double album status, though.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:16 am 

Honestly, Lateralus is one of the best albums ever, IMO. It's so incredibly dynamic, great to zone out to... 2.5 hours tho... Unless it's a swallowed the sun type deal where there are seperate entities that can be listened to as one seperate from another... That's way too long.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:06 am 

Pfft, why not just go push the envelope and make a triple album?

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:24 am 

nestee8 wrote:
Pfft, why not just go push the envelope and make a triple album?

Or just dispatch packets of sedatives for a similar effect.

voidgazer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:48 am 

Those track names and lengths are obviously fake, but I'm willing to bet it is double disc and mixed and probably going to be surprise released before the fall, in August probably. I'm guessing one disc will be a normal album and the second disc will be one plus-sized prog epic - a 45 minute or so long tune.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:15 am 

Smalley wrote:
I doubt even Tool would be pretentious enough to go with those song titles/song lengths/double album status, though.

Tool are pretentious without even realizing it. I used to like them a lot, but all of a sudden I did a complete 180. I can't stand them at all now mainly because their hardcore fans suck. I'd be curious to hear what they do because it's been 10 years since the last one, although I don't really care.

rexxz, to Deathwish77 wrote:
If I gave you a penny for your thoughts, I'd get change.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:56 pm 

I find any rumors with Tool hard to believe since their die-hard fans are willing to believe anything, and the band loves to troll them. So I'll believe this double-album of only 12+ minute songs when I see it.

The funniest and dumbest Tool rumor I remember seeing was when 10,000 Days leaked online before it officially came out. A number of die-hard fans who thought the album was sub-par assumed Tool was trolling them with a purposely crappy album that was leaked on purpose. They actually thought the real album, which would feature much better songs, was coming later and ultimately what would be released in stores. LOL

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:03 pm 

Maybe it's true and they just stick with the joke. I don't see how that album would serve any other purpose.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:39 pm 

I wouldn't mind two and a half hours of Tool. I just hope they've adopted more influences— 10,000 Days was too much like someone trying to sound like Tool circa Ænima and Lateralus. They've always been big fans of the Melvins, so I wonder if they're going to go for a crazier sound this time around.

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 pm 

traxan wrote:
One Reddit user who claims his or her source is “rock solid”

Stopped taking this seriously here.

I don't really buy this, and this could even possibly be another one of the band's pranks like they've done in the past where they'll purposely mislead people like this. I fully expect it to be a long ass album, but I'm a bit skeptical of 2.5 hours. Either way, really excited about what they come up with, especially the rhythm section. They're one of those bands where everything around them - especially the fans - is kind of horseshit but the music itself is pretty awesome.

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:24 pm 

If there is any validity to a new album, Tool, well more so 'Sir Wine Creator Maynard James Keenan the 1st' fully deserves this album to be ignored and fail for his Justin Bieber spitting-era level of shite-titude towards support/attention/relevancy and sincerity of his fans, but knowing the unwavering extent of brown nosing they'll lap it up just the same and further Maynard's ego beyond the clouds until his ballsack envelopes the stars.

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:28 pm 

Yeah, that's another aspect of everything besides the music being sort of cringeworthy. Don't mind them, but always thought his vocals were the weakest link.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 am 

I hope that isn't the actual track list, I love Tool but they write good short songs too.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:21 am 

voidgazer wrote:
Those track names and lengths are obviously fake.

+1.

dystopia4 wrote:
I fully expect it to be a long ass album, but I'm a bit skeptical of 2.5 hours.

+1.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 pm 

I hope that the songs really will be that long but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll wait until there's an official announcement from the band rather than someone who claims to have a source, yet offers no proof from said source. I will say, though, that a double-album would shut everyone up who has been bitching about how long it's taking them to put out new material.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:13 pm 

Though the more I think of it I'm guessing it would be more interesting and go by quicker than Book of Souls.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:36 pm 

A 2.5 hour Sloth album probably would.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:57 pm 

When asked to clarify the situation on twitter, Maynard simply said in a statement, "#dumb."

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:13 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
a double-album would shut everyone up who has been bitching about how long it's taking them to put out new material.
Yeah because everyone will be astounded it's entirely comprised of farts and guitar tuning.
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
When asked to clarify the situation on twitter, Maynard simply said in a statement, "#dumb."
Couldn't halt his ego for a mere second. Kowtow to thee.

Reply to topic