Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:35 am 

thought i would create one so we dont dominate the video game thread because i know its something i want to talk about, i will be using the spoiler tag a lot so i do not need to ruin the game for anyone but i have not go far past the area's which were shown before the game came out

my main character is a knight and so far i am fighting the
Spoiler: show
tree boss
which i have not been able to kill yet but also up to the area
road of sacrifices
which reminds me a lot of a better/more scary version of
The Shaded Woods but without the fog
, i also have a pyro character and still fighting the 2nd boss there and a sorcerer and only just beat the first boss in that

honestly enjoying this game a lot, i am not very good at the souls games but i am really enjoying this i do like the faster pace and most of the enemies i have fought so far(still early in the game) have been fun

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:48 am 

No disappointments so far. Only in that the dual scimitar's weapon arts seemingly suck, so that is kinda disappointing I guess. :P I picked the sellsword class because yay dex.

Just killed the
tree boss
myself so I'm not very far. Taking my sweet time, exploring everything.

And holy shit the art direction is on point as always. Some of those vistas are so pretty, I wanna weep. :D
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:02 am 

Morrigan wrote:
No disappointments so far. Only in that the dual scimitar's weapon arts seemingly suck, so that is kinda disappointing I guess. :P I picked the sellsword class because yay dex.

Just killed the
tree boss
myself so I'm not very far. Taking my sweet time, exploring everything.

And holy shit the art direction is on point as always. Some of those vistas are so pretty, I wanna weep. :D

i have not tried those yet i have a deep battle axe i am not too sure what enemies are weak to dark but i will learn, i am struggling with that boss so far i have only got it to about half health, i will get there i do enjoy the
Road of sacrifices
however those enemies are difficult, spoilers for a specific mini boss type enemy in the next spoiler tag
i killed the woman with the butchers knife first time however she got so close to killing me many times and i only just killed her with pretty much zero health, i cant wait to try that weapon it looks like it will pulverise enemies

early on i bought the key from the merchant, got the
firekeepers soul
but still unsure what exactly it does

both the environmental design and enemy design are amazing imo, so much better than dark souls 2

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:48 am 

i dont know if i was meant to do this but i got up to
Farron Keep
before i beat
tree guy
but i finally beat him also spent a tonne of souls and titanite shards on
the butchers knife
turned out to be useless imo

i feel in this game you need more souls to level up than in dark souls 2, also i got one of those rings which just break when you die but you do not lose any souls[youtube]i found out that you cannot repair them once its broken its gone forever[/youtube] something else i found strange, sometimes i would randomly get 1 more estus use and i am honestly not sure what triggers the extra estus use

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:43 am 

sorry for 3 posts in a row i was just wondering can someone explain the
Dark Sigil
i honestly
killed Yoel of Londor
as soon as i met him so that part of the game has not been opened up to me, i have read about it but its still confusing to me and i am unsure if its useful or unhelpful however i do know
one of the endings has been removed because of that however i do not know which ending has been removed

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:23 am 

Sorry, ain't clicking all those tags, especially since I have no idea what they're about.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:36 am 

all good i dont want to ruin the game for anyone, i looked it up a bit still confused but mostly understood, sadly i managed to ruin a lot of character/npc stuff for myself so while i know what happens with a lot of character(not going to reveal anything here)

i am having a lot more fun with this game than i expected, i expected it to be amazing but its just so much more for me but i am not sure why

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 am 

I feel like I'm slowly falling into the role of sword and shield guy just like I did in every other Souls game. I'm curious, does anybody play these games with anything other than weapon/magic and shield? Have any of you gotten through one of the Souls games two-handing the whole way? Anybody built a character around one of the boss weapons or something interesting like the Lucerne or the Zwiehander? Am I a dirty scrub?

I do this to pass the hours. Only to pass the hours

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:06 am 

Oh yeah, the game is brilliant so far. Bloodborne was good and I love the whole cosmic/gothic horror aesthetic but it just didn't feel quite as perfect as the Souls games, so it's good to be home. :)

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
I feel like I'm slowly falling into the role of sword and shield guy just like I did in every other Souls game. I'm curious, does anybody play these games with anything other than weapon/magic and shield? Have any of you gotten through one of the Souls games two-handing the whole way? Anybody built a character around one of the boss weapons or something interesting like the Lucerne or the Zwiehander? Am I a dirty scrub?

i want to try to build a character around a boss weapon one day, right now i want to try an almost pure pyro build but i dont know how likely that is, i do love the game play mechanic of balancing the Estuses, only beat the first boss with a sorcerer build, i beat it without taking any damage but i hear being a sorcerer is difficult when a lot of enemies are rushing at you but i only just got past the first boss so i dont know

and i am enjoying it so much, everything about it is 10 times better than dark souls 2

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:40 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:

Two-handed without a shield is usually how I play. Never done it with a boss weapon, though, just stuff like claymores and Black Knight swords.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:

I've done pure physical builds, pure magic builds, hybrid Str/int Str/faith, Dex/int, Dex/Faith. I usually end up running around 2 handing a Scythe after using a Katana or Greatsword for awhile. I like the new "super attacks/stance" abilities with weapons when you press L2. With certain shields and weapons your L2 does the special attack so you can still L1 to block, but L2 does something different than just parry. I'm using a kite shield that lets me use the super attack with the scythe or katana when I press L2 so it's kind of like I'm 2 handing while still being able to block with a shield... I tend to only really use the shield against other enemies with shields though, otherwise I'm mostly in 2H mode.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm 

I just can't function in the game two-handing a weapon or using any of the polearms. I mean I don't /totally/ fail, but I guess I've just gotten used to sword/axe and shield.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:06 pm 

Yeah I've done them all, CardsOfWar. Melee + shield, two-handed melee, dual-wielders, archers, pyros, spellcasters, hexers, etc. Sometimes I make characters that combine those. My current character in DS3 does use pyros (only fireball, instead of stocking up on firebombs :P) and flash sweat as support magic (using the ring to get an extra spell slot since I don't want to spend on attunement right now), but she's primary sword and shield. I started with the sellsword's paired scimitars, but their Weapon Arts is really disappointing, I don't like it at all. Its startup is slow and it does LESS damage than regular attacks? Plus it consumes FP? I must be missing something. Hell even the L1 attack when dual-wielding does less, or the same damage as the regular r1 attack, despite the animation clearly showing she swings both swords instead of just 1. WTF.

So I'm gonna search for the uchi (someone tipped me off that it can
be obtained 5 min into the game... wut! gonna check out the beginning, even though I know I went back there already and explored...
) so that I can replace my crappy scimitar. :P I also use that... I want to say Ithryll? The frosty longsword, as backup for its thrust attack. Some of the mobs, such as in Hemwick Charnel Lane Undead Settlement are weak to it (those caged things), so it can come in handy. It also did better damage against the giant crabs than my scimitar (weak to frost maybe?) despite a lower AR.

So yeah I'm gonna pick up the katana for sure (hey I'm a kendoka, of course I always go for the katana :P) and gonna keep a decent kite shield for emergency blocking and also for parrying, but I can also two-hand situationally for more power/stagger. Hopefully its Weapon Arts doesn't suck, too. Oh, and since it's a dex build, I also use a bow. Ranged support is crucial in those games, IMO.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 pm 

Katanas are for weaklings. Claymore master race all the way :-P

Seriously though, while dex weapons are indeed pretty cool, I've always had a weakness for big fuck off swords. There's something very satisfying about smashing an enemy into the ground with a blade that's as long as you're tall. They might be less effective for PVP, but eh, I've always favoured PVE more anyway.

I would comment more about my experience with the game so far, but I'm leaving for work. I'll make sure to continue posting later!
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:36 pm 

Hey, I make tanks/strength builds with big swords too! Claymores are great and for even bigger ones, the Dragon Bone Smasher from Demon's Souls is still the best ultra greatsword out of all the games, IMO. Zweihander can eat a dick.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:56 pm 

The art is amazing, insane amount of detail everywhere, i liked DS2 but compared to DS3 it was extremely bland

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
The art is amazing, insane amount of detail everywhere, i liked DS2 but compared to DS3 it was extremely bland

Different generations of consoles, man. The new engine (same as Bloodborne, you can recognize the assets haha) can support far more detailed and denser geometry, high-res textures, etc. Plus no chromatic aberration like in Bloodborne, so it looks potentially even better. :)

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:28 pm 

Oi, don't let that Giant Dad bullshit tarnish the beauty of the Zwei! I made this awesome paladin build back in the OG Dark Souls that mained it, and it was fantastic. Looked awesome too, with Solaire's shield, Shiva's chest piece, and the rest being that gorgeous, golden Giant armour that the huge guards in Anor Londo used. Looked like something straight outta Warhammer Fantasy :lol: Oh, and the sword was cool, too :-D I'll always have a soft spot for the Pursuer UG from DSII though. It was nothing special, but I made it work, and I loved dropping that big hunk of steel on fools.

Okay, on to DSIII; it's pretty fuckin' awesome, yeah. Also gonna echo what Folkemon said, in that the art direction of DSII, while not necessarily bad, now pales in hindsight when compared to this. You had some stand out locations such as the Dragon Shrine and whatnot, but here? Nonstop visual onslaught. The juxtaposition of beauty and decay is more noticeable than ever, and I love it. It does look a bit too much like Bloodborne during the early game, that much I'll admit, but seeing that I'm just getting started, I imagine that things will take a different turn fairly soon. Oh, and is it just me, or is the soundtrack even more awesome than usual? I've only heard the themes for Iudex Gundyr and Vordt of the Boreal Valley as of now, but they're much more impacting than whatever the hell was blaring in the background when I fought the Asylum and Taurus Demons or The Last Giant and the Pursuer.
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:39 pm 

I dislike the zwei not because of giantdads, but simply because of how pathetically inferior it is to the DBS. :P Too slow and cumbersome. Also, ewww @ looking like a Warhammer character.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:48 pm 

Archaeon the Everchosen begs to differ! :-P

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:52 pm 

Prepare to cry.

This left me in tears.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:08 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

So I'm gonna search for the uchi (someone tipped me off that it can
be obtained 5 min into the game... wut! gonna check out the beginning, even though I know I went back there already and explored...
)

Yup. It's all I've used since I picked it up super early in the game. Kinda seems like a design flaw, actually.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:34 pm 

You could also get the Uchigatana very early in the first Dark Souls by killing the merchant in the Undead Burg. It's not the first time From does this.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:56 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
You could also get the Uchigatana very early in the first Dark Souls by killing the merchant in the Undead Burg. It's not the first time From does this.

Which is one reason it seems so odd to me. The other being that I don't remember it being OP in the first game, though, and it is definitely OP in the third.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:16 pm 

i know its an optional boss but trying to beat
curse rotted greatwood aka tree boss
with a pyromancer is painful

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:24 pm 

So uh why is my face all zombified now?
Is it because I offered Cinders on that throne? :( I don't want to look zombified the whole game, WTFFFFF

captain_che wrote:
Which is one reason it seems so odd to me. The other being that I don't remember it being OP in the first game, though, and it is definitely OP in the third.

It's not OP in Dark Souls, and it's not OP in this game either. It's a good weapon, but not remotely "OP".

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:30 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
captain_che wrote:

It's not OP in Dark Souls, and it's not OP in this game either. It's a good weapon, but not remotely "OP".

I disagree. If you've done even minimal exploring you can level it at least twice immediately, and if you took the fire gem as a starting gift you can throw that on it. If not, decent stat-scaling instead. Plus it's quick and it's got bleed. The thing is a beast and to introduce it so early in the game makes it, at least since I've been using it, pretty definitively OP. It just dices everything to pieces.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I don't wanna spoil anything, of course. I'll just say "that's what you get for trying to be a nice person" and be done with it. Although..... Very tiny hint:

Look around in your inventory.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:07 am 

i am not going to ruin anything but even though i am not far into the game the world design is just something else, my guess people who played dark souls think dark souls has a better world but i am in awe by the world design, almost up to the(only posting the name of the area there)
Cathedral of the Deep
and usually i hate
area's with tonnes of poison which the area beforehand contains
but its not bothering me too much here

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:59 am 

sorry spoilers up to the road of sacrifices at first i will be talking about the undead settlement in the spoiler tags, so i am watching someone play the game and they just defeated the 2nd boss and got up to the
banner bit
and from that i could see many of the places i have been in the game, the part (road of sacrifices spoilers)
where you see the 3 torches you have to turn off which i am currently up to
and then directly when he gets to the undead settlement you see the
giant arrow guy firing an arrow
, just so many details i did not pick up on when i was playing it but which makes the game that much better

and on difficulty how does it compare with other souls inspired games? for me the bosses so far are more difficult than the bosses in dark souls 2 but the game seems easier but that also might be because i got experience from playing dark souls 2

sorry i post a lot i am just pretty obsessed with this game

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 am 

captain_che wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I dunno, it doesn't exactly seem OP in either game, it's just a kinda easier way to get yourself set up at the start of the game if you're having trouble. I'm not a fan of dexterity weapons in general but I can appreciate its use for someone who's overwhelmed by the game's fuck-off difficulty. The Souls games are so carefully designed. It just floors me. The moments of accessibility are just as cunningly placed as everything else...

I played Deprived for the first time in this one and working out what niche I want to fade into has actually proved really difficult. Now that I've settled in I've decided I'm playing a muscleman cleric/tank. I got my strength to 16 so I can wreck shit with a raw Claymore, and I'm now going to leave it and focus on wearing heavy armor and being able to take a million hits. Might two-hand the Zweihander or some other comically large weapon when it comes along but for now I just need to find someone that can sell me miracles.

Not strictly tied to this thread but is there a better video game level than the Valley of Defilement in Demon's Souls? It's so terrifying the whole way and it's madly hard and that ending is equal parts creepy and moving.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:50 am 

just got up to
Abyss Watchers
first phase was easy enough but the 2nd phase completely destroyed me

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:19 am 

Here's an idea for spoiler tags... maybe before each spoiler tag, use the initials of the place/boss name/etc. so we can guess? If I know what the initial means then I know I can click safely and all that. See below for an example.

SatanicPotato wrote:
just got up to
Abyss Watchers

That boss (A W boss) made me legit rage, haha. Took me... I don't know, close to 10 tries. :(

Think I was underpowered though, I fought them before entering the C of the D
Cathedral of the Deep and the boss was a ridiculous pushover there in comparison

Xlxlx wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

I don't wanna spoil anything, of course. I'll just say "that's what you get for trying to be a nice person" and be done with it. Although..... Very tiny hint:

Look around in your inventory.

Well...
I notice I've had the curse item a long time ago, not sure when, but I only notice my face getting zombified after I turned in the Abyss Watcher Cinders on that throne? But, well, two things I noticed; my poor decrepit sorcerer friend is dead (related to him giving me "true strength"?) and, visiting Velka's statue, I paid some souls to remove my zombification. But I still have the curse item. Weird...

captain_che wrote:
I disagree. If you've done even minimal exploring you can level it at least twice immediately, and if you took the fire gem as a starting gift you can throw that on it. If not, decent stat-scaling instead. Plus it's quick and it's got bleed. The thing is a beast and to introduce it so early in the game makes it, at least since I've been using it, pretty definitively OP. It just dices everything to pieces.

Okay, so you make the... starting levels a bit easier. Big whoop? I have the uchi now, at +4, my dex is at 30 or so, and it's not "dicing everything to pieces" in later levels. It's serving me well but it doesn't OHKO everything and I can still die. And it has low durability, almost broke on me twice and one time mid-battle. I scrambled to replace it with another weapon (equipping it would make me overburdened so I avoid it), my starting scimitars, which were not that outclasses. They did a little less damage and has less range but were still serviceable.

It's like saying the Drake Sword in DS1 or the Fire Longsword in DS2 is OP. lol, if you think it is you'll get a wake-up call later...

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Here's an idea for spoiler tags... maybe before each spoiler tag, use the initials of the place/boss name/etc. so we can guess? If I know what the initial means then I know I can click safely and all that. See below for an example.

SatanicPotato wrote:
just got up to
Abyss Watchers

That boss (A W boss) made me legit rage, haha. Took me... I don't know, close to 10 tries. :(

Cathedral of the Deep and the boss was a ridiculous pushover there in comparison

that is a great idea, on the AW boss
i read its very difficult for a pyromancer /sorcerer because you have such a small window in which you can attack in the 2nd phase i didnt even manage to damage him during his 2nd phase yet

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:20 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

You're talking about C S
Crystal Sage? A pushover? I don't want to find out how difficult is A W then...

Anyway, just to add to an ongoing reply chain basically, I also play shieldless - I rather dual-wield. It's a playstyle I adopted since DSII, and while it significantly boosts your playtime (took me around 70 hours to beat vanilla DSII, where the median was 50; not exactly a good metric though, since I play needlessly brashly), it's a) totally doable, and b) the rewards feel that much more rewarding in the end. It is counter-productive in DSIII though, I gotta say - since powerstancing is no longer an option, doing so effectively blocks out the weapon arts mechanic (the two weapons I auditioned for my off hand either allow for blocking/light striking or light striking/parrying) unless I choose to two hand one of the weapons.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:48 pm 

No, I was talking about a different boss who was far easier than the one you are talking about, but C S (he's the boss of Sacrificial Road) is also pretty easy. Though he got me once the first time when
in his final phase he duplicated and I got stunlocked by a bunch of magic projectiles. Oops.

But yeah A W is pretty damn hard I thought.

As for dual wielding, yeah powerstancing is gone :( You basically need to find a "paired" weapon to dual wield now. So when you press triangle you dual-wield the pair instead of two-handing it. So far I've found paired scimitars, daggers, some sort of curved short swords, and hammers. I hope there's a pair of katanas down the line... dual kats was so damn fun in Demon's Souls. :D

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:54 pm 

finally beat the C R G with my pyro build, considering its impossible to aim you got to get your timing right but i somehow managed it with a bit of luck

10 hours in and around level 60 or so, i dont know how i managed it but i completely missed fighting C S so i will try to locate it and then maybe worry about my fight thing A W

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:29 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
captain_che wrote:

Okay, so you make the... starting levels a bit easier. Big whoop? I have the uchi now, at +4, my dex is at 30 or so, and it's not "dicing everything to pieces" in later levels. It's serving me well but it doesn't OHKO everything and I can still die. And it has low durability, almost broke on me twice and one time mid-battle. I scrambled to replace it with another weapon (equipping it would make me overburdened so I avoid it), my starting scimitars, which were not that outclasses. They did a little less damage and has less range but were still serviceable.

It's like saying the Drake Sword in DS1 or the Fire Longsword in DS2 is OP. lol, if you think it is you'll get a wake-up call later...

So...you're arguing with me but also agreeing somehow? All I said was that as an early-game weapon it seemed OP precisely because it was an early-game weapon, at least when I used it. And it felt to me like more than a few 'starting levels.' Anyway, I don't know how it performs late-game since I ditched it after the C.S. boss encounter.

But after beating the game once already I think it could be used throughout, and a quick look around some other boards confirms that more than a few people have used it for most, and in some cases all, of the game.

So, anyway, OP at the start. Just my opinion.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:03 pm 

i decided to change my pyro to a pyro/sorcerer/miracle/hex character just so if a boss is immune or resistant against something i got other stuff, got much closer to beating A W when i was using heavy soul arrow

actually having a much better time against A W than C S

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next