Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:40 pm 

I made a thread about pet snakes, but it meandered into other kinds of pets. Because of this, I've decided to create a thread specifically about pets in general. I also got the idea to make this from the Band Member Stories and Work Stories threads. If you've got any pet stories, please put them here. Sometimes a pet story can be quite hilarious!

Here's a story involving my pet snake, Mitch. One day, I was going to feed him a live mouse (like I usually do once every ten days) when I opened the cage and he poked his head out of the top. I tried to get him back into his cage, but I knew he was really hungry, so I tried to sneak my hand behind him to pull him back into his cage. Just as I got close by his backside, he immediately turned around and snapped at me. Now, generally, ball pythons don't bite people unless they're really hungry. In this case, they don't really see you very well and misjudge your hand as a potential meal. That's exactly what happened with Mitch and I.

gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:10 pm 

One time my buddy/roommate made the mistake of taking in a stray cat. It was quickly raped by the neighbors cat and had a litter of like 6 kittens. One day about 3 weeks later we came home and the kittens were all feasting on a rabbit they had somehow ganged up on and killed. It was pretty cool. But one by one the kittens got eaten by coyotes, and one got killed by our buddies dog. That one wound up in a shoe box in the yard and we tried to make a time lapse of the kitty corpse rotting. Got lazy and gave up, plus it smelled like a turd pickled in ball sweat. Only one survived, his name is Bones. Pretty badass killer these days

Last edited by Morrigan on Mon May 18, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post (trolling)

droneriot
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 pm 

About a month after I did alcohol detox in 2009 my parents showed up at my apartment with a puppy, "so I wouldn't be alone all the time." Pretty big leap of faith they took considering my fucked up state at the time. Turns out it was one of the best things to ever happen to me in my whole life. Best dog in the world.

Right now she's really getting on my nerves chewing on one of her toys, though. It's an ex-massage ball, and she chewed on it so much there's a little hole in it, so every time she bites down air shoots out. Well, air and dog drool. I still love her. :P

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 pm 

droneriot wrote:
About a month after I did alcohol detox in 2009 my parents showed up at my apartment with a puppy, "so I wouldn't be alone all the time." Pretty big leap of faith they took considering my fucked up state at the time. Turns out it was one of the best things to ever happen to me in my whole life. Best dog in the world.

Right now she's really getting on my nerves chewing on one of her toys, though. It's an ex-massage ball, and she chewed on it so much there's a little hole in it, so every time she bites down air shoots out. Well, air and dog drool. I still love her. :P

That's adorable. Glad she helped you out - what breed?

From a snake perspective, a good friend of mine in college got two ball pythons (he was a few years older than me and had an apartment). He was a bit of a goofball and liked real-life trolling, so to speak, so he eventually bought a double baby stroller and would push his giant pythons around in it downtown just to weird people out. One night we were going to the same party and met down the road - and sure enough, he had his stroller, pythons in tow. He pushed it up to the deck where everyone had gathered, at first getting concerned looks from those who thought he had an actual baby in there, then took one of the pythons out and draped it over his neck. Screams and a parting akin to the Red Sea ensued.

My mom recently adopted a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever - Its owner had it tied up in the backyard, rarely interacted with it and never trained it, and were planning on shooting it because they didn't want to pay the $60 fee to drop it off at the shelter. My mom's quite skilled at rehabilitating poorly-treated animals, and said dog (who she named Natasha; it didn't have a name before this) is already doing much better, except if she gets outside without a leash. Because she has literally no experience in being outside offleash/off tie-out, she'll just dart around like a wild animal. It's strange because she won't actively run away from you like a scared wild animal or feral stray dog, but she won't make any effort to get close (because calling her name is a moot point, obviously) - she just sort of stays at a few dozen yards away until she feels like coming back. Never seen that sort of behavior in a dog before.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward

droneriot
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:47 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
what breed?

Your guess is as good as mine. Unknown mix, probably half black lab.

Acidgobblin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 am 

I actually just a got a cat. A little over a year ago, I had to get my rottweiler Henry put down. He was almost ten and had serious kidney failure; I'd had him since he was 18 months, got him from an animal shelter and loved him so fucking much. Me and my girlfriend had a period of mourning and then thought we were ready to bring another animal into the house. She's a tiny little black cat named Brenda who is currently hiding under the bed. :)

...Bluelight...

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am 

I have two cats, Mokoma and Horna, both members of The Unsullied. While the original idea was to settle for the tortoise we still have, due to asthma and such in the family, Mokoma one day appeared by being found under the deck in front of the house. He stayed after it turned out that he doesn't seem to have an owner, and was still a very small fist-sized kitten... yet still fully capable of biting all four of his canines through my palm when he was given a shot of IV antibiotics the next day. To this day, I have no idea how he ended up there, and I suspect the firstborn ordered it as a custom placement job from some kid in the neighborhood. And since nobody got any ill effects from the ball of fur, we later got Horna from the local rescue shelter. He's a big boy, about 7 kg, but sweet and social as hell. Horna loves to scare my current girlfriend by pouncing stuff when the not expected, the amusing bastard he is.

Also had a dog, but the ex-wife took it along when she moved out. Good riddance, even if he was a harmless and friendly idiot.

Two decades ago, my friends had gerbils. They named one of them Napero, after me naturally, but the fellow turned out to be an asshole and a nuisance, so Napero got the center of the stage when the feeding time for the two pythons they were babysitting had their feeding time. They only told me later about the unfortunate event that turned the sweet furry Napero into a constrictor snake turd with tiny shards of bone in it.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 am 

The cat stories remind me of my uncle's cat, Larry. He largely avoids me, but that's mainly 'cod he's not familiar with me. My cousin told me this story about him jumping at her from behind the treadmill that they had in their basement.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:14 pm 

These days I have a cat, but I also used to have two goldfish. I also used to have two hamsters (mother and son) but they were constantly fighting and one day the son ended up killing his mother.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm 

I thought I'd lost my dog the first day we got him. He disappeared for quite a while, and wouldn't come running out no matter what noise we made at the door. (This was all we could do as he hadn't caught on to his name yet.) We had pretty well resigned to putting up "lost dog" signs around the neighbourhood, when we heard a whimpering coming from inside the couch :scratch: Turns out he had jumped up onto the fold-down table in the middle of the couch, eaten my lunch while I got up to the washroom, then fallen down and gotten stuck under the couch. This made him the perfect successor to our old dog, who had a penchant for digging himself partway under a fence in the backyard then giving up and getting stuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm 

My cat has been missing for a day and a half now. :(
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:11 pm 

Napero wrote:
I have two cats, Mokoma and Horna, both members of The Unsullied.

The...pillar as well as the stones?

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Awwww...... :aww:

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:38 pm 

When I was living with my lady we had a house that had some very questionable activity going on in it. One night, before falling asleep, we heard the piano playing on its own. We both nearly had a heart attack and quickly jumped up from bed to see what it was... it was the cat we had adopted walking on the keys :lol: . She was feeling adventurous and wanted to see the tarantulas we had on top of the piano. Cats *eye roll*
Mesmur (Funeral Doom)

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:51 pm 

Yeah, cats can be unpredictable. My dad told this story about a cat he had to babysit for this lady, a Siamese cat named Peter. He was the meanest cat he ever met. He wouldn't let you pet him, 'cos he'd scratch and bite each time. Fortunately, there's other cats that aren't quite as bad.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:42 am 

A few years back I lived in a house with my GF of the time and our cat Loki. The people next door got a little black kitten which we discovered was called Panther. Anyway, this thing was just full-on. Over a while it made itself completely at home in our house, despite us owning a cat ourselves. It started one night when I was sitting at my computer and I felt a cat jump up into my lap. Looked down and thought "Hey, you're not my cat". Next step along the line was when it would climb in through an open window and get into bed with us at night. Eventually it got to the point where we caught it trying to steal bacon out of the hot frying pan on the stove. We started referring to it as Panzer rather than Panther, as it kept invading our living space with zero fucks given.

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:45 am 

Hah, my friend's neighbors had a cat like that. It would spend almost all of its time at my friend's house, only going back to its own house for meals and possibly go to the bathroom. It spent the night at my friend's house about as often as not. Also, they never learned the cat's name but it looked exactly like a cat version of David Bowie so they just called it David Bowie Cat.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Any luck yet? It's been a few more days. I hope it comes home soon!

~ RIP Terry Jones

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:10 am 

Nothing :( :( :(
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 am 

That's really upsetting. I hope your cat gets found soon.

Reply to topic