Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:01 pm 

Swans seem to be a pretty prolific and highly influential band that have been around for a long time. It's just so intimidating looking at their discography and thinking where does one start?

Does anyone know more about the band themselves and how their sound had changed throughout the years and lets say which albums would you say are the "must listen" to albums?

Thanks in advance

Melancholy709
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:15 pm 

Two of my favorite albums are The Burning World and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity. They're both around the mid era. I've never really been a fan of the earlier noisey stuff, and haven't really listened to much of the later stuff, but these two albums are must listens to me.
I believe the more known songs form these are God Damn the Sun and Failure, so try them out.

awheio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:41 pm 

Yup, I second those two albums! The Burning World is a good place to start, as long as you keep in mind that it is the most accessible and easy thing they have to offer. White Light... is somewhere more in the middle. It's quite accessible, but darker and denser. The recent albums have been very good too, and like the previous poster I didn't get into the earlier noisy stuff. It was probably more interesting when done live at that particular point in time...

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:47 pm 

If you do want their early noise stuff, definitely go with Filth. For their latest ingenious/unclassifiable stuff, try To Be Kind.

Soundtracks for the Blind is good too, but it's a pretty big mouthful for Swans newbies. It's over two hours, and goes everywhere from post-rock to industrial disco.

megalowho
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm 

There are probably a few Swans threads floating around, but I'm always happy to chime in, as they're my second-favorite band.

Echoing Melancholy709: The Various Failures compilation has a lot of highlights from those two albums and Love of Life, plus a handful of songs that aren't readily available elsewhere. (Example: "No Cruel Angel".) Its sound quality is slightly better, too. It's a great overview of the middle era of the first incarnation of Swans, but it does leave out a few (though not many) of the better songs from the original albums, particularly from The Burning World. Highly recommended.

I haven't checked out every single one of their live albums, but Public Castration is a Good Idea is an excellent encapsulation of early Swans, and quite possibly the darkest thing I've heard. (Sample: "Coward".)

In my opinion (probably not an unusual opinion), Children of God (sample: "Sex, God, Sex") is by a slight margin their single best album, and it achieves a perfect balance between their early and middle eras; and so far, The Seer (sample: "Avatar") is the highlight of present-day Swans.

awheio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:43 pm 

Oh goodness! I actually forgot about Children of God! Which is silly, because I also once formed the opinion that it's my favorite SWANS album... Whoops.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:43 pm 

I'm really into the mid period - the 2 Skin albums, Children of God, Burning world, White light, Great annihilator. Such awesome records.

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

shwartzheim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:43 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
I'm really into the mid period - the 2 Skin albums, Children of God, Burning world, White light, Great annihilator. Such awesome records.

Best period and best place to begin i think. Pre-Greed/Holy Money I can take or leave. Do love Soundtracks For The Blind though in all its disjointed glory and The Seer is quite a spectacular listen.
Have yet to get into To Be Kind. Not too surprising though. Some Gira material is instant satisfaction, some takes a while and some just isn't that satisfying i guess.

Subterranean
http://www.reverbnation.com/subterraneanaust
http://www.soundcloud.com/subterraneanaust

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:36 pm 

So, just checking... "Getting into Swans" is not a bestiality thread?

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:34 pm 

So I read all the recommendations thanks for being so detailed and I will get on it. And then I got a laugh right at the end lol with the comment above

Reply to topic