Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
forestcorpse
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 2404
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:11 pm 
 

Some new photos from a smal walk I had two days ago:


First a contribution to the mushroom 'fetish' here :P
Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 1305
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm 
 

Top mushroom pic reminds me of one of those Super Mario Bros. shrooms where if you eat them you grow twice as big. In reality, that one probably would just kill you. Or make you feel like you're twice as big, then kill you. I dunno, now I'm all nostalgic for my old Nintendo.

I plan on posting some more pics soon from a trip out to California, after I sort through them.

Top
 Profile  
Necroghast
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm
Posts: 505
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:40 pm 
 

I'm going to Scotland tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have some awesome pictures to share when I get back.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6489
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:53 pm 
 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Top mushroom pic reminds me of one of those Super Mario Bros. shrooms where if you eat them you grow twice as big. In reality, that one probably would just kill you. Or make you feel like you're twice as big, then kill you. I dunno, now I'm all nostalgic for my old Nintendo.
Actually, it's not completely lethal, but very harmful to kidneys and liver. In some regions it has been used by shamans as a drug, but most certainly somehow prepared to lower its toxicity. There's actually a legend that sámi shamans fed them to reindeer and drank their urine.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
mrchris
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:32 pm
Posts: 954
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:56 pm 
 

Roxbury, NY. Taken in mid 2005. Second image has the mountain enshrouded in fog in the early AM hours which makes for an awesome view (and photograph!). Last image is late afternoon/early evening when you can see down the mountain by 9-9:30am

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
_________________
The Brutal Video Vault

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:46 am 
 

Necroghast wrote:
I'm going to Scotland tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have some awesome pictures to share when I get back.

Lucky bastard! Take lots of photographs!

Some weeks ago in Chamonix, France:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
Necroghast
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm
Posts: 505
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:40 am 
 

Guys, my camera battery is dying and I forgot my charger. Shit.

Well, I have gotten a lot of good photos (hence why the battery is dying) so I'll make sure to post the best when I get back.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6115
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:36 pm 
 

Eh whatevs I'll post some from my recent sumatra trip

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Yeah, basically the only non-surfing activity I did the whole trip was feed the camp's monkey a huge amount of beer. Good trip, in other words
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
Tachal_Dhal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 pm
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 pm 
 

Here's some recent shots kicking around Alaska. It's been a busy summer...



Granite Tors on a long dayhike northeast of Fairbanks
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Caribou from a remote fly-in work camp (translation: I was getting paid :D
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Dall sheep in Denali National Park last weekend
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Mt. Sukakpak, in the Brooks Range, way above the arctic circle
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Close up of Sukakpak
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Highest peak in North America, Denali (Mt. McKinley) on the flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage (again, getting paid :D :D :D
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Denali from the ground. I guess only about 10% of the tourists get to see the thing on a really clear day... Sucks for them.
Image
By heathen000 at 2011-09-01

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 1305
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am 
 

I absolutely LOVE Alaska. If it wasnt for the crummy weather, only two hours of daylight in the winter, and isolation (not much entertainment, not many touring bands pass through there) then I'd probably live there!

Top
 Profile  
Diligent Son
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:55 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am 
 

Nunavik:

Image

British Columbia:

Image

Manitoba:

Image

Quebec:

Image

Top
 Profile  
Tachal_Dhal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 pm
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:35 pm 
 

Here's something a little different: the southern Utah desert last spring.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
Tachal_Dhal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 pm
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:08 pm 
 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I absolutely LOVE Alaska. If it wasnt for the crummy weather, only two hours of daylight in the winter, and isolation (not much entertainment, not many touring bands pass through there) then I'd probably live there!


It's an adjustment to be sure (I grew up in Seattle). The cold's not really any big deal, but the overall length of winter can be rough, as can the frequent cloudiness and drizzle in summer. 2 hours of daylight is an exageration: there's about 7 light hours at winter solstice in Fairbanks (including twilight), more in Anchorage, with around 4 hours of actual sunlight. There's plenty of entertainment in the cities, particularly Anchorage with some fun local metal bands, but nothing of extremely high quality at the moment. If you can force yourself to like bluegrass and hang out in the woods with crusty hippies, you'll be fine... The best touring metal band we got this year in Fairbanks was Unearth, with hometown dudes Turbid North opening (they're in Texas now). Shows were never a big part of my social life, so I'm alright with flying out to a festival once a year to get my fix. Rites of Darkness this year!

Anyhow, here's what AK's really about: WINTER......AHHHHHH......

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:05 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
Top mushroom pic reminds me of one of those Super Mario Bros. shrooms where if you eat them you grow twice as big. In reality, that one probably would just kill you. Or make you feel like you're twice as big, then kill you. I dunno, now I'm all nostalgic for my old Nintendo.
Actually, it's not completely lethal, but very harmful to kidneys and liver. In some regions it has been used by shamans as a drug, but most certainly somehow prepared to lower its toxicity. There's actually a legend that sámi shamans fed them to reindeer and drank their urine.


Its Amanita muscaria and its not lethal or very harmful to the kidneys or liver. If you eat a bunch of them you could die (10+ for the recorded cases), otherwise they might make you high and/or sick. Many don't enjoy it, some do, if you wanna try it do some research. It also can be made into a good edible with some preparation, I haven't tried it like that though.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
There's actually a legend that sámi shamans fed them to reindeer and drank their urine.

Uhm... Could you elaborate on this?

Tachal_Dhal wrote:
Here's some recent shots kicking around Alaska. It's been a busy summer...


Tachal_Dhal wrote:
Here's something a little different: the southern Utah desert last spring.


Tachal_Dhal wrote:
Anyhow, here's what AK's really about: WINTER......AHHHHHH......


Niice! Keep them coming!
P.S: I'll upload some from Switzerland this summer and post them here later.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6489
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:54 am 
 

Byrain wrote:
Its Amanita muscaria and its not lethal or very harmful to the kidneys or liver. If you eat a bunch of them you could die (10+ for the recorded cases), otherwise they might make you high and/or sick. Many don't enjoy it, some do, if you wanna try it do some research. It also can be made into a good edible with some preparation, I haven't tried it like that though.

Over 10? That's more than I would've thought.

BasqueStorm: That is in order to make it less toxic/harmful.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:53 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Byrain wrote:
Its Amanita muscaria and its not lethal or very harmful to the kidneys or liver. If you eat a bunch of them you could die (10+ for the recorded cases), otherwise they might make you high and/or sick. Many don't enjoy it, some do, if you wanna try it do some research. It also can be made into a good edible with some preparation, I haven't tried it like that though.

Over 10? That's more than I would've thought.


I was somewhat mistaken, there are few well documented cases. The main one was from the early 1900s where the cause of death is not exactly clear. The person who ate them started suffering violent convulsions and of course the excellent doctors at the time decided it was best to tie him to a bed where he ended up breaking the bed into two and eventually ended up dead. Either way, I can't see why anyone would want to eat that much. In mexico (Pictures coming later when I recover from my trip) one of the people I hunted with would peel small pieces of the pellicle (Skin on the cap) and eat them just like that. I tried a few and found they provided boosts of energy, but after a few pieces I found that it would make me sick really fast if I overdid it.

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:58 am 
 

Some Mexico photos:

Could be Helvella macropus
Image
Image

Lichen sp., on a stone bridge.
Image

Psilocybe cubensis
Image

Trichia sp., a slime mold on what could of been horse dung.
Image

Usnea sp.
Image

Psilocybe zapotecorum
Image
Image

Lichen sp.
Image
Image
Image
Image
(Chemical reactions, K = KOH & C = Bleach)

Panellus stipticus, supposed to be bioluminescent
Image
Image

Top
 Profile  
Necroghast
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm
Posts: 505
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 am 
 

Alright, here are some photos from Scotland:
Most of these are taken in the area around Perth.

Image
Image
Image
^ Tay River (I think)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

And here's one for Byrain:

Image

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 am 
 

Nice pics Necroghast, I don't know the last one.

More Mexico pics.

Trichaptum fuscoviolaceum
Image

Psilocybe angustipleurocystidiata
Image
Image
(Bottom left one is an Inocybe sp.)
Image

Acarospora contigua
Image
Image

Deconica coprophila
Image
Image

Crepidotus sp.
Image

Psilocybe sp. (Still unidentified)
Image

Polyporus arcularius
Image

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
BasqueStorm: That is in order to make it less toxic/harmful.

Sorry. My shitty english's fault!

BasqueStorm wrote:
Niice! Keep them coming!
P.S: I'll upload some from Switzerland this summer and post them here later.

Here we go!

2011/08/06 Chamonix (Aiguille du Midi and Mer de Glace)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiguille_du_Midi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mer_de_Glace

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1977
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 pm 
 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Wonderful pictures

Image







Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:15 pm 
 

Some last ones from Mexico.

Maybe a Boletus sp.
Image
Image

Psilocybe zapotecurum
Image

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:49 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
Image

Nice one!

Byrain wrote:
Some last ones from Mexico.
Maybe a Boletus sp.
Image
Psilocybe zapotecurum
Image

What is this green color under the hat?
The last one is hallucinogenic, isn't it?

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:19 pm 
 

BasqueStorm wrote:
What is this green color under the hat?
The last one is hallucinogenic, isn't it?


If you mean the instant and strong staining reaction on the pore surface? It spells Azufres which refers to the general location it was found at. This pdf can help explain the bluing reactions in Boletes.
For P. zapotecurum, hallucinogenic is an understatement, a stem fragment was strong...

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:55 am 
 

Byrain wrote:
If you mean the instant and strong staining reaction on the pore surface? It spells Azufres which refers to the general location it was found at. This pdf can help explain the bluing reactions in Boletes.
For P. zapotecurum, hallucinogenic is an understatement, a stem fragment was strong...

Yes. Thanks, Byrain, those reactions are interesting!
About Psilocybes, is there any study about different species and properties?
I just found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe# ... nd_habitat
Thanks.

Top
 Profile  
DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 pm
Posts: 651
Location: Azerbaijan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:57 am 
 

A few years ago in my hometown there was an unusually warm day in December where it rained, and then the temperature dropped so quickly that everything was coated in a thick layer of ice. It was pretty cool (yuk yuk) so I took some pictures.
Image
Looks almost like a photoshop filter, but it's all natural
Image
Image
_________________
Cloud Surfing Media Internet Marketing

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1977
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:31 am 
 

Image

Jupiter, Ganymede on the left (and Europa?)

Image

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6115
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:43 am 
 

Image

Got this from a recent session ..somewhere on the south coast of WA. It's probably the most dangerous wave in the world. All time session, although I got two waves and called it a day, didn't really want to die.
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:04 am 
 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
A few years ago in my hometown there was an unusually warm day in December where it rained, and then the temperature dropped so quickly that everything was coated in a thick layer of ice. It was pretty cool (yuk yuk) so I took some pictures.
Image
Looks almost like a photoshop filter, but it's all natural

Uhm... that reminds me of this:
Image

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:22 pm 
 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Yes. Thanks, Byrain, those reactions are interesting!
About Psilocybes, is there any study about different species and properties?
I just found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe# ... nd_habitat
Thanks.


I didn't see this post earlier and what do you mean by properties? Like effects and potency? There are some numbers of supposed potency of different species on the internet, but those aren't entirely reliable due to species varying in potency as well as the sample being tested varying in age and storing methods. Other then that, there is a lot of information about using different species at places like shroomery, but that is all hidden among countless newbie,"Is this random mushroom magic?" threads... I don't know of any specific studies, but maybe they exist.

Top
 Profile  
Depresjon
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:56 am
Posts: 1
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 am 
 

Aint much.Just 2 pics i took a few days ago.

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
moshforce
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 pm 
 

Image

I took this one with a 'recycle camera' those you use for one time. It's in a simple standard wood in Mol, Belgium.
All my pictures are analoque and it cheers me up that I see a lot more Analogue pictures !

Top
 Profile  
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:50 am
Posts: 5628
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 pm 
 

short links to the free flickr account i use for sharing the odd photo, enjoy 8)

Mt Hobson
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvJxdDV

Waiheke Island
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwi6Xnr
_________________
Selling/swaps viewtopic.php?p=2040422
Wanted viewtopic.php?p=2343125

Primordial loam... ~/^

Top
 Profile  
666Emperor666
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:44 am
Posts: 704
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:15 am 
 

I haven't posted my photos here for a long time. Maybe I'll show you a few now.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1977
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:39 pm 
 

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1224
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 pm 
 

Neoscona oaxacensis (Western Spotted Orbweaver)
Image
Full resolution
Image
Full resolution

Some strange spiny spores (Edit: Pollen grains?) I found on a blade of grass.
1000x, Mounted in H2O, 1μ divisions
Image

Conocybe siliginea, its an European name so these might be something different. C. rickenii is another similar European species which is a synonym to C. siliginea according to some sources and can only be told apart macroscopically. To me, these look to have traits of both...
Image
Image
Image
On the gill edge.
Image
On the gill face.
Image
On the cap surface.
Image
On the stem surface.
Image
Pileipellis (Cap surface), 1000x, Mounted in H2O, 1μ divisions
Image
Spore print, 1000x, Mounted in KOH, 1μ divisions
Image
Image

Pisolithus arhizus
Image

Top
 Profile  
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:50 am
Posts: 5628
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 am 
 

pacman pollen, yaargh! :lol:

Image
_________________
Selling/swaps viewtopic.php?p=2040422
Wanted viewtopic.php?p=2343125

Primordial loam... ~/^

Top
 Profile  
forestcorpse
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 2404
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 am 
 

Nice to see it is activity here, a little while since I have posted, so here are some new photos from my area:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1986
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 am 
 

Byrain wrote:
Neoscona oaxacensis (Western Spotted Orbweaver)

Niice!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 39  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blacklinkz, Nochielo and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group