Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 am 

Thanks! Really digging the HDR setting on the phone camera - really made those colors pop even in cloudy conditions. My favorite was that last shot. I had to climb some pretty perilous stacks of rocks to get that view!

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Clowndoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:56 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Extreme close up of Skull Canyon. What are these pieces of coral doing here? We are at 7000 feet in elevation, and about 700 miles from the ocean. I dunno, geology's weird.

It sure is, but if you're looking for an answer, science offers this: The canyon is a junction of tectonic plates (looking at Google maps, it looks to be right smack on the fault). The land there would have once been under water when the corral died, it would since have been thrust upwards when California joined the rest of America, only to be exposed again as it receded or a glacier came along to carve it open.

Alternatively: Noah's flood.

And why not: Thalès of Milos (circa 500 B.C.) figured that all four elements were just derived of water, and that it's entirely possible for some Californian lake to have just turned to stone.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:10 pm 

Interesting...I did take a geology class once but I wasn't that familiar with how the plate tectonics shaped that particular area. I do know that most of southern Idaho and southeastern Oregon, where the Snake, Bruneau and Owyhee Rivers flow, were shaped by volcanic activity and lava flows.

I did talk to a geologist who said that the black mineral deposit had the same basic chemical structure as tourmaline, but with iron ions instead of lithium in it's molecular structure- or something like that anyway; the iron in the molecular structure makes it black, opaque and essentially worthless except as a conversation piece, but if it had lithium in it, it would be a colored, transparent and valuable gemstone.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:50 am 

Coast (Istria)

>View full album on imgur.<
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

bloodycumshit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:28 am 

^ nice

few pics i took today while walking about

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 pm 

That last picture's real cool, love the way the clouds interact with that tree, super scenic :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38