Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:18 pm 

As usual, Tyrion was great. Not sure why they focused so much on Robert talking about his first kill, and the ending was a little strange as it didn't end on a cliffhanger. I quite liked Syrio, too, even though I always pictured him having grey hair.

Still no Hodor, was bummed about that.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hodor, said Hodor
yeah, he will be on the 4th episode, i'm sure, i love Littlefinger too, but Renly isn't pretty enough :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:43 pm 

Oh yeah Renly! I pictured him having luxurious hair and bright clothing, at least. All well. Syrio was perfect though, I knew who that was as soon as I saw his fruity ass. I caved in and watched the next week teaser and really if you're current this shouldn't be a spoiler but
Spoiler: show
the tournament should be in the episode fuck yeah! We'll see Gregor Clegane and the Knight of Flowers, can't wait.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm 

The scene with Syrio is officially my favourite. It was perfectly executed. I grinned like a foolish fangirl the entire way through. :D

Why didn't Dany push back Viserys herself? That is a very important scene for her character development. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am 

Morrigan wrote:
The scene with Syrio is officially my favourite. It was perfectly executed. I grinned like a foolish fangirl the entire way through. :D

Yeah, I was very looking forward to that one and was not disappointed. But wasn't Syrio bald in the book? I certainly didn't imagine him with an afro. :D His mannerisms and the scene's chemistry were pretty much perfect though.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:02 am 

Probably my favorite episode so far; many good scenes, and not much that was egregiously wrong.

Still, as possibly the resident series zealot, I'll complain anyway. The only major fuck-up though is Dany not pushing back Viserys. A seemingly small detail, but as Morri said, this is a major turning point for her character: the first time in her life she openly defies her brother. It would have taken ten more seconds of screen time to put that in. I really don't understand those script writers sometimes. They cut that small but significant interaction, but then they go on and invent a fairly pointless and long scene with Robert just basically being an asshole to everyone and talking about kills.

The scene between Cersei and Joffrey is... weird. I mean, she's basically encouraging him to be just like Robert is to her if he wants? Really?

And another admittedly tiny nitpick, while I can certainly understand them cutting Catelyn's sea voyage, couldn't they at least have shown her getting off a ship when she arrives in King's Landing? It's just silly that she arrives in the city around the same time as Ned when she left Winterfell weeks later.

But anyway, Syrio. <3 :hyper:

Azmodes wrote:
But wasn't Syrio bald in the book? I certainly didn't imagine him with an afro. :D

Yeah, but I guess the actor didn't want to shave off that glorious afro. :D

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:22 pm 

Glad to say I'm enjoying the series a lot thus far! Turned out to be way better than I expected. The art direction's very tasteful, acting is solid, and the cinematography and directing/writing are also very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing where it goes! I suppose one of the advantages of having never read the books is that I actually get to be surprised :D.

WhatOnceWas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 pm 

Viserys is the brother right? Isn't it a little too early in the series for a power struggle with that horsemen tribe?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 pm 

yeah he's her brother and the legitimate heir to Westeros as he's saying and no the power struggle is happening at the right moment, remember there's only 10 episodes for a 1000 pages or the like book, each of the books are very thick, especially Storm of Swords, i hope they'll not forget important things

WhatOnceWas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm 

I'll have to pick them up. Pretty sound characters so far.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:56 pm 

Tyrion's performance is just amazing. So far he is one of my favorite characters in the TV series.

CViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 pm 

I really want to watch this serial.. SO FUCKING COOOOOL i saw the images and the comments about this movie.. thats sounds pretty much cool !

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am 

I just watched the fourth episode and I'd say it's the best so far. :)
I like the actor who's portraying Samwell Tarly, such a comic relief ('So... You didn't know where to put it?' :D), I giggled quite a lot during his scenes. I liked Hodor but actor portraying him doesn't seem retarded, Hodor is supposed to simple-minded at least? And of course, 'The Mountain That Rides' was introduced, but I expect to see more of him and more of the tournament in the next episode, this can't be all of the tournament?

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

Die_Fledermaus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm 

I agree - Renly so far is the only character whose apperence I have issue with - I always pictured him with long, straight dark hair. The actor playing him looks a bit forgettable. The scence with Syrio was kinda cheesy I thought (the accent was, uh, a little too weird) but in the end it made a fitting transition to the next episode, and, yes, it pulled on my heart strings.

*SPOILERS FOR 4th*

Just got done watching the fourth - love it! It made up for the rampantness of the third. What does everyone think of Hodor? Big shoes to fill (chuckle) but I think the actor does the "blank stare" pretty well. Hodor, hodor.

I wished they had shown more of the joust - it might have been impossible to fit into a single episode, but so many important characters get introduced there that I was hoping there would be more. Not that I'm complaining - the killing of Ser Hugh was just as I imagined it (actually a little bit more brutal). Gregor looks perfect.

Sam is great too - I always had the sneaking suspicion the Martin relates to Sam more than other characters - Sam's story is so personal and well developed. I beamed during the warm buddy-buddy scene between him and Jon Snow.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 pm 

good 4th episode, Hodor, Sam and Gregor were cool, BUT WHERE IS THE KNIGHT OF FLOWERS? I hope he gets introduced in the next episode

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm 

I agree that it was the best episode so far, but Hodor is not Hodor unless he looks more like this:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 am 

Just done watching the 4th. *Spoilers ahead*

I was a bit dissapointed that the tournament seemed so rushed. The fact that Ser Hugh got killed almost seemed normal for a joust (although it went brutally slow, wow..) Sam is great, just as I imagined him to be and I get a kick everytime Daenerys stands up to her brother (just like I did with the books) I hate his guts.

Also, did I miss something the first three episodes or was this the first time Theon Greyjoy got named?

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 am 

Great episode... except that once again they have to fuck something up. Sandor tells Sansa the story of how he got burned, and it's significant because he has never told anyone, and he tells Sansa in a drunken moment of weakness and threatens to kill her if she tells anyone. Why oh why did they change this so that it's Petyr telling the story? Makes no sense. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:19 am 

i agree about that, forgot to mention it, it's not like Petyr didn't had enough lines in the episode, but maybe they want to establish a relation between him and Sansa for the future?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:03 am 

Yeah, maybe they'll have an even better Sansa/Sandor scene in the future to make up for it... but somehow I doubt it'll be as good as the original material.

On the plus side, we got Hodor! which is cool (I don't mind that he's older, he was perfect), and GHOST! Finally!

Can't wait to see the rest of the tourney. The scene with the knight of flowers, the Sandor/Gregor fight, and hopefully we'll even see Thoros and his flaming sword. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:52 am 

Morrigan wrote:
On the plus side, we got Hodor! which is cool (I don't mind that he's older, he was perfect)

I love the way he jogs/runs into the room after being called. Made me giggle. :)

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:38 pm 

Ok so new episode spoilers all over the place.
Am I forgetting the books or was anyone else shocked by the gay scene with Renly? I don't remember that at all, just wow. I'm hoping the tournament still isn't over, only 2 jousts so far, but man was the fight scene between Eddard and Jaime fucking righteous or what? I loved it, I thought the dragon skull looked awesome too. I like the guy playing Varys because I wanted to slap the shit out of him reading the book, and I really want to hit the actor when he's whispering all his cryptic dialogue. Well done. The Vale looked amazing too, and I'm really liking all the different armour variations they're coming up with for different Houses. The hunt looms ahead and I'm pretty sure the season will end on the same note as the first book, so we're getting to the really intense stuff! Man it's gonna be such a long wait until the next season!

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 am 

After watching the 5th episode, The Hound is starting to become my favorite character :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:26 am 

I dare say... best episode yet? Action-packed, to be sure.

Pros:
- The Hound / the Mountain fighting. Bad. Ass. :metal:
- Bronn being also badass.
- Varys vs Littlefinger's battle of wits was a bit forced, but still great.
- Poor Jory :(
- Arya chasing cats :hyper:
- Lysa's different than what I imagined, but she's still a creepy, disgusting bitch. *approves*
- Jaime kicking that soldier's ass over the cheap shot to Ned's leg. Nice! And yet somehow very in-character, I thought.

Cons (minor):
- more exposition through silly nudity (Theon / Ros). Way to make sure people don't pay attention to the dialogue guys :lol:
- no Dany / Jon. no time for it in the episode, but still, pity.
- non-canonical "I loved Robert once" Cersei still annoys me, but I have to admit Lena plays her pretty well. I just have to get used to the fact that Cersei's a different character than from the book...
- okay, so Loras / Renly are non-ambiguously gay and very much so, I don't mind that, but why did they make Renly such a pansy? come on now :scratch:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Ok so new episode spoilers all over the place.
Am I forgetting the books or was anyone else shocked by the gay scene with Renly? I don't remember that at all, just wow. I'm hoping the tournament still isn't over, only 2 jousts so far, but man was the fight scene between Eddard and Jaime fucking righteous or what? I loved it, I thought the dragon skull looked awesome too. I like the guy playing Varys because I wanted to slap the shit out of him reading the book, and I really want to hit the actor when he's whispering all his cryptic dialogue. Well done. The Vale looked amazing too, and I'm really liking all the different armour variations they're coming up with for different Houses. The hunt looms ahead and I'm pretty sure the season will end on the same note as the first book, so we're getting to the really intense stuff! Man it's gonna be such a long wait until the next season!

Re: Renly and Loras, minor spoilers from A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords:

They are "officially" gay, it's canon and GRRM has said they were, it's just a LOT more subtle in the books. I didn't mind that they were in-your-face about it on TV and hey, HBO is no stranger to gay sex scenes (see: Six Feet Under :P), but I thought Renly's portrayal as a pansy and being all "eww, blood" was kind of silly.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Die_Fledermaus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:10 am 

*Spoilers for ep.5*

Yea, the Renly/Loras scene threw me for a loop too - but considering that it is HBO I figured they included it so there's a little something for everybody. Bit premature for the sequentiality but eh, whatever, it was cute.

Lysa was eerie (ha!) as fuck. They gave her this harpyesque look - bare breast, sinewy and strained, up on a dead tree (?) throne -pretty appropriate considering her home. I always imagined her as saggy and overly made-up, but this is far, far worse than I ever imagined. Love that this series has been outdoing my own imagination.

Morrigan wrote:
I thought the dragon skull looked awesome too.

I second this.

Morrigan wrote:
- Poor Jory

I know! First big death of the series for me :aww: Funny that the last thing he ever did before his final fight was stare at pair of breasts.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 am 

Jory dying made me sad. I didn't know his character very well, never read the books, but he seemed like a decent fellow.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:15 am 

I agree with what all people posted here about 5th episode, but I have to take a notice about Theon's flaccid penis immediately after sex, that doesn't seem right to me. :D
I think they force nudity too much, books are also filled with that but, but I don't see the point in the series, in books it's used for characterization and such.
And about Loras-Renly relationship in the books:
It's present in books but more subtly. When Renly gets killed Loras goes mad and tries to kill Brienne, who he thinks is guilty for his murder, showing their relationship was more than friendship. There are other hints about them being gays, but more subtly. I guess HBO wanted to show it more clearly, to characterize Renly for his part in next season.

I expect more episodes to be even better, I can't wait till real action begins. :)

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm 

awesome episode, Renly's relationship with Loras is well done, subtility isn't something that HBO loves. For the rest, i agree with pretty much what Morrigan said and yeah Jaime/Eddard's fight was great so is Bronn (really good casting for him, the rest of the show as well for sure). This episode is really the starting point of the action in the season.
can't wait to see Viserys getting his crown of molten gold!!

preview for episode 6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_6Nqgzskw

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:55 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I dare say... best episode yet?

Definitely.

Morrigan wrote:
- The Hound / the Mountain fighting. Bad. Ass. :metal:

That scene was goddamn awesome. I had to watch it over and over again.

Morrigan wrote:
- Bronn being also badass.

This this this. Bronn is one of my favourite characters and I was really anxious to see him on screen. The casting is great as usual and him slicing and dicing the bandits was indeed appropriately badass. His role as the opportunistic, pragmatic mercenary bastard was nicely conveyed. I'm keen on seeing him interacting with Tyrion in the future, always loved their trade-offs.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:43 pm 

Now I just want a yes or no answer on this. Do they White Walkers ever fight with the free people?

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm 

I saw a picture of Renly, and apparently he doesn't have his long hair? I've only read the first book so far, and I pictured him as being like a more European looking Mitsuhide Akechi (I'm thinking of the Samurai Warriors version of Mitsuhide).

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Now I just want a yes or no answer on this. Do they White Walkers ever fight with the free people?

Spoiler from first 4 books:
No, not really, but action goes into that direction.

Deucalion wrote:
I saw a picture of Renly, and apparently he doesn't have his long hair? I've only read the first book so far, and I pictured him as being like a more European looking Mitsuhide Akechi (I'm thinking of the Samurai Warriors version of Mitsuhide).

Syrio Forel should be bald iirc. Series don't match with books completely.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:40 am 

nasum wrote:
Syrio Forel should be bald iirc. Series don't match with books completely.

You are correct; Syrio is described as bald in the book. They also didn't give Littlefinger his "slimy bastard" goatee.

nasum wrote:
I agree with what all people posted here about 5th episode, but I have to take a notice about Theon's flaccid penis immediately after sex, that doesn't seem right to me. :D

I noticed that, too. Funny how it's difficult to pay attention to other things when there's someone's todger flapping comically around. I call this "Watchmen syndrome."

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

Speaking of all the people who should be bald (like it's an issue), shouldn't Tywin Lannister be bald as well? I seem to remember that from the books. Oh and Morrigan about the Sansa/Hound interaction I believe that they had Littlefinger relaying the information because they were easily able to tell viewers about the Hound and Gregor while they were both on-screen and it took half the time. I never really thought it was that important of an interaction and they already had Sansa talk to the Hound to set up later interactions. And I forgot who the fuck Bronn was, thanks for reminding me! He's fairly important as well.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm 

Tywin and Syrio aren't bald and Renly doesn't have long hair in the TV series, and Bronn isn't dark and slender, but honestly that's the least of my concerns. :P
I wish Tyrion were uglier, though. People are supposed to find him repulsive. I hope they don't screw up Brienne in season 2...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:02 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Great episode... except that once again they have to fuck something up. Sandor tells Sansa the story of how he got burned, and it's significant because he has never told anyone, and he tells Sansa in a drunken moment of weakness and threatens to kill her if she tells anyone. Why oh why did they change this so that it's Petyr telling the story? Makes no sense. :nono:

What's interesting is that they did the Hound/Sansa interaction during the auditions.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I wish Tyrion were uglier, though. People are supposed to find him repulsive.

When your character is a dwarf, it somewhat narrows down the list of potential actors. I think that trading in the ugliness for acting talent in the form of Dinklage is forgivable.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 pm 

I agree, but characters can be "uglified" with make-up, though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:56 pm 

yeah, that's why i'm choosing Charlize Theron to play Brienne :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next