Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThulsaDoom1990
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:55 pm 

Due to a short little psychotic episode I had sommatic illnesses and brought myself to the hospital a few times and over the course of about a year had around 5 or 6 brain Cat scans.

I also had two chest x rays I think and one abdominal x ray and cat scan--The last two were valid as I was having unexplained bloody shit and thus got the first chest X ray and abdominal CT and had to undergo a colonoscopy cause they recognized a mass in my lower bowel area. And the second Chest X ray came as I awoke with a severe burning in my chest that wouldn't go away with stomach medication or tylenol.

Anyone ever had a CT scan or PET scan? Anyone know a good oncologist? I figure from all this I should just get checked for every type of radiation induced cancer annually.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm 

shit man. I have had plenty of x-rays for my back and I actually take peoples x-rays for a living. If i were you, I woudln't worry about the radiation induced cancers because the amount of radiation you are exposed to is cut down to a minimum. I'm an x-ray tech and the amount of radiation is metered and filtered. It would take an enormous dose of radiation to give you any type of genetic effects.

ThulsaDoom1990
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:16 pm 

rabidmadman wrote:
shit man. I have had plenty of x-rays for my back and I actually take peoples x-rays for a living. If i were you, I woudln't worry about the radiation induced cancers because the amount of radiation you are exposed to is cut down to a minimum. I'm an x-ray tech and the amount of radiation is metered and filtered. It would take an enormous dose of radiation to give you any type of genetic effects.

The hospital I went to I think gave me too much--The last brain CT I got I asked the tech how much the dose was and he said "82 miligray"

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:49 pm 

well 1 Gray = 100 rad. So 82 mgy x 1gy/1000mgy x 100rad/gy = 8.2 rad. That isn't a lot at all. There are techs that I work with that are in their 70's and you can imagine how much radiation they've been exposed to over the years...so don't worry.

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 am 

About 5 years ago I went in for a follow-up x-ray for pneumonia and they found a mysterious mass about the size of a quarter in my lung. In the next 2-3 years I probably had 20+ x-rays and a CAT scan (as well as breathing tests, an ultrasound and tests for dozens of diseases) The mass vanished shortly after.

Anyways, if that many x-rays didn't cause any problems, you should be fine.
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 am 

I've had a few because I got bleeding on my brain after an intense bashing.
Nothing to be scared of, chances are that you might even get cancer just walking outside, you'll never know.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 am 

Cyrax666 wrote:

That explains a lot. :)

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 am 

Yeah if it makes you feel any better, back in school they taught us that 1 chest x-ray is equivalent to a flight on an airplane with regard to radiation magnitude.... So those that are flying on business trips daily, are being exposed to more radiation than you without even knowing it...

mds2
BBQer of Souls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 pm 

I had 5 CT's in a 2 month period this last year.

Surgeon fucked up my emergency appendectomy.

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 am 

overkill666 wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:

This explains more.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 am 

Cyrax666 wrote:
overkill666 wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:

This explains more.

This is funny for reasons I can't explain. It's just one of those irrational "HEY LOOK SOMEONE BROUGHT IN A PICTURE OF A FORUMGOER HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA" moments.

DrBusey
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm 

Both of my parents have been working in cat-scan/x-ray for the past 20 some odd years. I've gotten my share of scans as well and the radiation really is negligible. But then again, I could just be talking gibberish since I'm the zany child of two irradiated folks :D

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm 

Cyrax666 wrote:
overkill666 wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:

This explains more.

I just came.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 am 

I work as a radiologic technologist as well. As others have said the amount of radiation you've received is negligible. 5 or 6 brain scans wouldn't have much of an effect since the brain is extremely radioresistant compared to other organs in the body so most of the dose you would be receiving would come from low-energy scatter radiation rather than the primary xray beam. Chest xrays on average are only about 0.25 mR and abdominal xrays are only slightly higher but not enough to worry about. Radiation protection is important to limit the amount of radiation administered to people, but really unless it was a case of equipment malfunction or operator error there wouldn't be anything to worry about. And as rabidmadman said there are other activities such as flying in planes regularly that can be attributed to more radiation dose than xrays

ElyTigerclaws
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 pm 

I had a few cat scans when I was younger, around 9 or 10, after I was rushed to the hospital while having a seizure. Don't really remember them. Luckily, the seizures only lasted about 6 years and I hope they never come back. I haven't been warned about any long term effects from the radiation, but I don't seem to be having any problems 10 years later. Though I only had a few cat scans...

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:22 pm 

My cat scratches me when I try to scan it.

ThulsaDoom1990
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:48 am 

Had another Brain CT (got punched hard in the head).
Am worried more about losing my hair in the future cause of the radiation to the head than cancer, tbh.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:20 pm 

Hair loss is a symptom of acute radiation sickness which a CT scanner isn't going to give you. The amount of radiation needed to produce that effect is something closer to nuclear fallout. Medical x-rays being attenuated by your hair isn't going to do anything

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:45 pm 

I wouldn't worry about it from that many, I've certainly had a lot more xrays and shit in my time. They used to give me chest xrays just about every time i coughed, and I haven't gotten cancer yet.

I got to see my dad's chest CAT scan a couple days ago, it was pretty gnarly because he has emphysema. I don't think I've ever had a cat scan myself though.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.