Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:49 am 

8 of 49 head shots.. god damn, I could have swore more than that landed. I may need to watch the fight again.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:49 am 

sickening, there will be a rematch but I doubt shogun can execute a game plan as flawlessly against a fighter like Lyoto again, and he shouldn't even have to. Fuck those judges.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:50 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
8 of 49 head shots.. god damn, I could have swore more than that landed. I may need to watch the fight again.

In a lot of Machida's flurries where it looked like he was doing damage the replays showed a lot of them actually missed or barely grazed shogun, watch the fight again.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am 

for those who didn't see but want to:

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Lyoto_M ... 14&tid=100

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:54 am 

Sakuraba might have just broken Zelg Galesic's knee, and in about 2 seconds flat from when he cranked it to boot.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:25 am 

Ouch. Still, you've got to love Sakuraba, he is a living legend.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:00 pm 

Hail the God of Muay Thai!

Apparently Sakuraba did in fact break Galesic's leg.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:07 pm 

I watched Ubereem vs JT DVDs, that was some serious 'air' that he caught. I thought he was going to 'Mario' JT and bounce on out of the Octagon.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 am 

So, how many of you are going to watch Fedor vs. Rogers this Saturday? I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:37 am 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
So, how many of you are going to watch Fedor vs. Rogers this Saturday? I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Here already? I'll probably get an invite to watch it at a friends house.

kronos116
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 am 

I thought Fedor's performance tonight was very unimpressive compared to how he's performed before. that and Rogers is insanely tough.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 am 

Rogers was a tough, big opponent. Fedor got bullied a little bit, but he was never in danger of losing the fight, with the slight exception of the GnP shots he took on the ground in the first round. Broken nose means jack shit.

Fedor did what he does best: won the fight.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

kronos116
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:29 pm 

you're right, but that wasn't the same Fedor I saw smash big Nog for twenty minutes

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:30 pm 

Fedor's dominance is illegitimate as far as I'm concerned, until he stops fighting cans.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:41 pm 

my brother does mma, here are a few videos of his fights and training. he's the one with the last name Johnson.

gray trunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsjgmVsI ... 2D&index=0

camo/tan trunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRP2_fdA ... 2D&index=1

training with Nogueira; black shirt/shorts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1PKhp1- ... 2D&index=2

i'm not sure how far he's planning to take his fighting career, because he would have to give up everything else in life just to train enough to be as good as he would want to be. but he has been teaching classes lately, and even flies around the country teaching airline pilots how to defend themselves in the case of hijackings. he got into MMA after he returned from the Marines, but he's been into many martial arts and self defense styles as far back as i can remember. couldn't tell you his overall record, but i've seen him win both times i watched him fight.

Hexenmeister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:38 pm 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:

I set my DVR to record it but the main event ended up going over time, so my recording stopped just as Fedor and Rogers got into the ring! :annoyed:

Fedor is THE man though. He's only like 5'11" and has a terrible physique compared to other MMA fighters, but he's a friggin' juggernaut and appears to have absolutely no fear. He's a humble guy too, unlike so many of the conceited douches who make up the sport.

http://templeofsnakes.blogspot.com

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Fedor's dominance is illegitimate as far as I'm concerned, until he stops fighting cans.

Rogers proved he's not a can last night. He may not be elite, but he's no Hong Man Choi.

kronos116
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
my brother does mma, here are a few videos of his fights and training. he's the one with the last name Johnson.

gray trunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsjgmVsI ... 2D&index=0

camo/tan trunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRP2_fdA ... 2D&index=1

training with Nogueira; black shirt/shorts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1PKhp1- ... 2D&index=2

your brother trains with Nogueira? that's crazy!

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 pm 

Leify wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Rogers proved he's not a can last night. He may not be elite, but he's no Hong Man Choi.

Not only that, but Fedor has fought and beaten quite a few formidable opponents. Cro-cop, Arlovski, Nogueira twice. He hasn't made his legacy by fighting scrubs.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 pm 

Leify wrote:
rexxz wrote:

He's the guy who changes tires at Wal-Mart.

ThrashingMad wrote:
Not only that, but Fedor has fought and beaten quite a few formidable opponents. Cro-cop, Arlovski, Nogueira twice. He hasn't made his legacy by fighting scrubs.

Yeah, no one is denying what he's accomplished, I'm simply challenging his apparent dominance in the sport currently since he hasn't done anything noteworthy in quite some time.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:37 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Leify wrote:
rexxz wrote:

And he recently destroyed a Sambo-trained former UFC heavyweight champ in seconds. He hits hard enough and accurate enough to ruin a lot of fighters' nights.

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:39 pm 

Yes, the tire salesman that's well known as a sloppy brawler proved he was legit by sweeping sambo uber-champion commie faggot and that does not reflect poorly on said faggot whatsoever.

Also lucky for you that he fought the tire salesman and not the linear K-1 god of the universe or your precious delusion would have been shattered when Fedor would have literally been beaten to death.

Gungnir88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:42 pm 

rexxz wrote:

Rogers is ranked higher than Carwin, so maybe it's Brock that is fighting cans. Also Carwin and Rogers basically have the same record (About 10-0)with one major win and Rogers's win is more significant: Arlovski > Gonzaga anyday.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 pm 

Who said anything about Brock? I know Brock is fighting cans, we don't need to bring him into this though. However, it can't be denied that Fedor has been avoiding any legitimate threat to his legacy for some time.

Gungnir88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:50 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Who said anything about Brock? I know Brock is fighting cans, we don't need to bring him into this though. However, it can't be denied that Fedor has been avoiding any legitimate threat to his legacy for some time.
You are aware that the only fighter to have fought more top ten ranked fighters than Fedor is Big Nog right?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:57 pm 

You're aware that has nothing to do with what I said, right?

Gungnir88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 am 

rexxz wrote:
You're aware that has nothing to do with what I said, right?
You are arguing he's fighting cans, i'm arguing otherwise. That was a valid point to make.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 am 

*Undersized guy fights in the most shallow weight division in the sport and only fights b-level fighters, washed up schmucks, or fighters that have already been figured out*

*Is the BEST EVER*

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:21 am 

rexxz wrote:

He's also the guy who gave the generally agreed #1 MMA HW a tougher fight than the majority of the champions have given said #1 HW.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:25 am 

He's not the #1 heavyweight please stop perpetuating this silly propaganda

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:51 am 

I generally don't include Chubby-Anderson-Silva in my HW ranking, so Fedor gets the top spot.

Oh wait, Silva used to work at McDonalds, he's a can. Right, thorgrim?

Last edited by Leify on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:02 am 

kronos116 wrote:
your brother trains with Nogueira? that's crazy!

i'm not sure which of the brothers it is, or how he hooked up with him. but i know that Nogueira was around for some local MMA matches, and they've been doing some stuff together for a little while now.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 am 

How about someone whose striking doesn't consist of throwing retarded haymaker counters and who recently got swept by a tire salesman and previously mounted endlessly by a 5'11 roided out LHW and looked like dog shit against Fujita and Hunt. And ducked Pedro Rizzo, and was shielded from Ricco Rodriguez. Maybe someone not like that makes your HW list compiled whilst under the influence of PCP

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:21 pm 

Uh, as far as the Rogers fight goes, he got "swept" while throwing on a kimura, that he ended up very nearly locking in from his guard. With a 50 lb weight advantage, it's not surprising Rogers could explode out of the kimura. I hear lifting tires builds core and hip strength.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm 

speedemon86 wrote:
How about someone whose striking doesn't consist of throwing retarded haymaker counters and who recently got swept by a tire salesman and previously mounted endlessly by a 5'11 roided out LHW and looked like dog shit against Fujita and Hunt. And ducked Pedro Rizzo, and was shielded from Ricco Rodriguez. Maybe someone not like that makes your HW list compiled whilst under the influence of PCP

Coleman has always been a good wrestler, no shame in being out-positioned by the guy. Fedor still manhandled him both times with beautiful armbars.

Fujita got a good (lucky or not) shot in, dazed Fedor, and then what? Fedor returned the favor, stunning him on his feet and then finishing with a submission.

Fedor tried to take Hunt down, but Hunt was a lot bigger, so he ended up on bottom. Same thing happened in the Choi fight. Hunt went for a kimura from the top. Seemed like he was close to getting it, but in an interview Fedor said he didn't think it was; given Fedor's track record of humility, I'd wager it wasn't a close attempt, but even if it was, he didn't get it. Fedor reversed the situation and kimura'd him.

Just because he doesn't look invincible every second of every fight doesn't mean he isn't worthy of the majority of the praise he collects. Fact is, he's undefeated with a long list of worthy opponents. I've never liked his freakshow fights a la Zuluzinho and Choi, but those are not indicative of his career at large.

Best fighter in the world? Best P4P fighter? Unbeatable? That's all bullshit hype and unquantifiable, but it doesn't negate the fact that he's done some remarkable shit and has yet to acquire a single blemish on his record. All the other MMA legends lost at some point. Maybe we'll be able to say the same about Fedor eventually, but at present he's 31-0.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:14 pm 

Arona =/= Coleman (does coleman look 5'11" to you?!).

Oh, and of course Brett Rogers, and even the legendary Heath Herring. Listen, I don't care who you are or what your record is, when you look lik bunk against those three fighters, you are not the best fighter at the time, in the world, in a week, at all. He's just some other good fighter with an almost entirely fabricated "legacy", and you need to get over it. His supposed heyday was beating Nog and Crocop, where the former were all narrow-margins, and the latter is a well-known one trick pony. So Fedor has essentially only beaten one great fighter, and that was over five years ago. Then he decided it was a lot easier to beat good fighters after they've been solved/gotten old. You might as well go apeshit over Tito Ortiz while you're at it.

But WINNING IS EVERYTHING OF COURSE RIGHT GAIZ.

Then let Overeem deliver sanity unto you.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 pm 

I should have pegged you as an Overeemite, speedy! If Alistair comes out strong Fedor will take him down and throw on an armbar or some other submission. That's the future, it's gonna happen.

My bad on Arona, saw LHW and assumed Coleman. His fight with Arona was way back in 2000 though, he's evolved since then.

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:20 pm 

Yeah, you think so? You think Overeem will fail on the ground where a tire salesman succeeded?

You're insane, and the argument is lost. Thanks for the concession.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:08 pm 

His guillotine won't save him.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 pm 

I'd give Overeem +100 on the betting lines as far as his odds go (50/50).

Winning Euro ADCC isn't exactly the hallmark of top of the food chain jiu jitsu, and his chin hasn't been hit solid since he went HW, though Remy did score a knock down on him (whether it was significant is debatable).

That said, I'd be shocked to see Alistair tossed around or dominated by Fedor. Overeem != Rogers in the clinch or in striking. Overeem by gay entrance music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next