Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:58 pm 

Sonnen tested positive for PEDs after 117.

lol

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:36 am 

No rematch for him. Looks like it's going to be a while before Silva fights anyone unless they cancel the Okami vs Vitor or give Nate and undeserved shot.. Or Silva could fight in other weight classes, he already said he was going to stay at middleweight from now on though.

Mjollnir91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:33 am 

To be fair to all martial arts professions, if you are a master of your art, it generally means you can adapt to the situation and fighter and respond accordingly. But in terms of my fav, Muay Thai ftw :) such a brutal and hands on way of training

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm 

Winner of Vitor vs Okami is getting Silva next apparently, which would likely push his next title defense to February I'd guess. Though Vitor does have a history of finishing fights quickly.

Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:08 am 

yentass wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
UFC should teach him a lesson by scheduling him to fight Brock Lesnar.

What's the point? Silva will win.

After watching Chael Sonnen take Silva down and GnP him for 23 mins, has your opinion changed? If it was Brock Lesnar hitting him, he wouldn't have lasted nearly long enough to throw up a last ditch triangle at the end of the 5th round. Brock Lesnar would beat the living shit out of Anderson Silva.

Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:18 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Winner of Vitor vs Okami is getting Silva next apparently, which would likely push his next title defense to February I'd guess. Though Vitor does have a history of finishing fights quickly.

Now it's Vitor vs. Silva and Okami vs. Marquardt.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:56 pm 

Scorpio wrote:
yentass wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
UFC should teach him a lesson by scheduling him to fight Brock Lesnar.

What's the point? Silva will win.

After watching Chael Sonnen take Silva down and GnP him for 23 mins, has your opinion changed? If it was Brock Lesnar hitting him, he wouldn't have lasted nearly long enough to throw up a last ditch triangle at the end of the 5th round. Brock Lesnar would beat the living shit out of Anderson Silva.

Silva has a chance if he can land a good strike before Lesar takes him down. Brock don't like to be hit and responds poorly to it. Once Lesnar takes him down it's definitely over though.

Also, not MMA, but K-1 is 10/2. Interested in seeing how Overeem does, and how bad Arlovski gets owned. I hope Arlovski doesn't get totally destroyed. Arlovski's fighting career hasn't been going to well lately, I don't want to see him retired.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:32 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:

Also, not MMA, but K-1 is 10/2. Interested in seeing how Overeem does, and how bad Arlovski gets owned. I hope Arlovski doesn't get totally destroyed. Arlovski's fighting career hasn't been going to well lately, I don't want to see him retired.

Really, Arlovski is going to K-1? Didn't know that. Lol, got a feeling this will not end well for Arlovski.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 pm 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
Really, Arlovski is going to K-1? Didn't know that. Lol, got a feeling this will not end well for Arlovski.

The K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16. He's in as a replacement. It's probably going to be ugly for him.

Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:

Silva has a chance if he can land a good strike before Lesar takes him down. Brock don't like to be hit and responds poorly to it. Once Lesnar takes him down it's definitely over though.

A very slim chance. He couldn't even KO Chael Sonnen and Brock Lesnar took everything Carwin could hit him with. Silva is much more technical than Carwin, but I think Carwin must have significantly more punching power. He is 280 lbs. and he crumpled Mir like a piece of tin foil. Lesnar would just blast Silva with a double 30 seconds into the fight and it would end on the ground. Don't get me wrong, Silva is a great fighter, but he's overhyped if people are giving him a good shot against Brock Lesnar. Machida would have a better chance to beat Lesnar, IMO, because he has better takedown defense.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:09 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
SymposiumOfSickness wrote:

The K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16. He's in as a replacement. It's probably going to be ugly for him.

Yeah, I mean the guy got outboxed by Bigfoot Silva in his last fight. It'd say it's going to be real ugly for him.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am 

Arlovski needs to move away from his striking only attack not further towards it.

TheNonBeliever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:24 pm 

I've been trainning for 1 year and a half Taekwondo ITF and MMA with Florida's A.T.T and so far since I've been into it Iyoto Machida and Chuck Liddell are my favorites.

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 pm 

WEC in 2 days. What a card!

Quote:
Preliminary Card
Bantamweight bout: Demetrious Johnson vs. Nick Pace[1]
Bantamweight bout: Antonio Banuelos vs. Chad George[1]
Featherweight bout: Tyler Toner vs. Diego Nunes[1]
Lightweight bout: Chris Horodecki vs. Ed Ratcliff[1]
Featherweight bout: Mike Brown vs. Cole Province[1]
Featherweight bout: Zhang Tie Quan vs. Pablo Garza[1]
[edit]
Main card
Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick[1]
Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop[1]
Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia[1]
Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone[1]
Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo (c) vs. Manvel Gamburyan[1]

Any of you guys want in here, http://mma-tracker.net just pm me.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:13 am 

WEC always delivers. This will help me forget about 119.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:59 am 

Is the WEC event PPV or on verus?

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:50 am 

I don't think it's free. They won't put Aldo/KoreanZombie/Garcia/Varner-Cerone rematch/etc on free tv. This will get some buys.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 pm 

Aadil wrote:
I don't think it's free. They won't put Aldo/KoreanZombie/Garcia/Varner-Cerone rematch/etc on free tv. This will get some buys.

It would make a great PPV, if it wasn't coming on Versus.

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:42 pm 

That's great. I wasn't aware.

Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
waiguoren wrote:
It most certainly proves that outside of theatrics, a lot of Asian martial arts such as kung fu and tae kwon do are pretty much useless when it comes down to fisticuffs at the end of the day.

I know a lot of masters who would disagree. A lot of the tecniques are meant for serious lethal defense (breaking necks, dislocating arms, stopping hearts) all of which are typically not allowed in sports.

If someone could get into the cage and perform a technique that stopped Shogun's heart before he rendered the person unconscious with a barrage of punches, kicks, and/or knees, it would be legal. The thing is that no one seems to be able to do it and the people who say they can do it don't want to try. Take that for what it's worth.

By the way all joint locks are legal in MMA except for small joint manipulation, which means fingers and toes. Neck cranks and arm locks are legal. There have been plenty of submissions due to arm locks in the history of MMA. Neck cranks are rarer because they are harder to do but they've happened multiple times.

Edit: I think I just replied to an old post. Server hiccups have me discombobulated.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:27 am 

Damn, Arloski dropped out of K-1 final 16. I guess he came to his senses.

Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:05 am 

Overeem won. I feel bad for the guys who have to fight the Reem early. You know they're gonna get fucked up. Overeem or Semmy should win this tourney. I know Semmy won by a split, but it's hard to pick against him. I think his kicks will carry him past Overeem should they meet.

I'm happy with Semmy or Overeem winning. They both get a lot of hate from the K-1 people. At least it won't be that spoiled brat Badr Hari's year. They were desperate for their golden boy to win in '09 but fortunately Semmy destroyed him. Fuck K-1 and their anti-clinch bullshit. Semmy and Overeem would own if they had proper rules.

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:05 pm 

That was a badass looking Ubereem. Anyone catch WEC 51? TEHZOMBIE went to sleep ;( Aldo is one scary 145 pounder. Never thought I'd say this.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:45 pm 

Scorpio wrote:
Overeem won. I feel bad for the guys who have to fight the Reem early. You know they're gonna get fucked up. Overeem or Semmy should win this tourney. I know Semmy won by a split, but it's hard to pick against him. I think his kicks will carry him past Overeem should they meet.

I'm happy with Semmy or Overeem winning. They both get a lot of hate from the K-1 people. At least it won't be that spoiled brat Badr Hari's year. They were desperate for their golden boy to win in '09 but fortunately Semmy destroyed him. Fuck K-1 and their anti-clinch bullshit. Semmy and Overeem would own if they had proper rules.

Overeem's gonna be all "Tiger, Tiger" and then that'll be it. :lol:

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 am 

Aadil wrote:
Anyone catch WEC 51?

Nah, I was checking out Bellator 31 on the same night. Caught that horrible judging travesty of the Frausto/Aguilar fight; it was close but Aguilar edged Frausto out. I don't know what the judges were thinking-and I was rooting for Frausto. Either way, Frausto is gonna get murdered by Fujii in the tourney finals-and I say this still rooting for Frausto.
Obliteration

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 am 

Noons Diaz II, is going to be epic. Strikeforce has put on some solid shows in the last few months.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Aadil wrote:
Anyone catch WEC 51?

Nah, I was checking out Bellator 31 on the same night.

WEC > Bellator.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:43 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
Aadil wrote:
Anyone catch WEC 51?

Nah, I was checking out Bellator 31 on the same night.

WEC > Bellator.

Well, I dig women's MMA so...

In all seriousness, I do enjoy women's MMA a great deal since I started following the sport (which admittedly wasn't too long ago). The women tend to fight a lot harder than the men, and I feel that it's because they have something to prove-to be seen as legit and to show that they should be taken seriously (which they should). Since Zuffa shuns women's MMA, and Strikeforce is on paid TV (I ain't fucking shelling out for Showtime), Bellator it is. I root for Zoila Frausto (even though I know the Aguilar decision was horrible and Fujii is gonna manhandle her) in particular because the fight with Rosi Sexton at Bellator 23, which ended with a spectacular knockout, impressed the hell out of me.

I also feel that the men that fight for Bellator tend to fight harder for similar reasons-they need to prove their worth to the big show.

However, I do try and catch WEC whenever I can. I prefer it because it features the lighter weight classes, which tend to put on more animated fights compared to the heavier weight classes. Lots of striking, quick grappling, and submissions without the huffing and puffing of when the heavier guys gas out.
Obliteration

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:26 am 

Brock Lesnar can't take a punch for shit. Wow, he's not a fighter. It's really amazing he has done so well. Cain hit him with a short punch and Brock does somersaults backwards across the ring on wobbly legs. The guy can't take a punch.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:30 pm 

The Giant has fallen. We are free now.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:28 pm 

UFC 121-totally, shockingly awesome.

Firstly, I struggled with putting down the $50 for this card-I never usually buy PPV's, but this card was almost too good to pass up. I was watching UFC Unleashed leading into the live prelim show on Spike, and I caught an ad and noticed that certain movie theaters were hosting the event. A quick Google search, and 5 minutes later I was en route to a movie theater 15 minutes away. This alone was awesome in every possible aspect; 20 foot screen in Hi-Def, surround sound, and comfy theater seating. For $15. Unbeatable in every way. Seriously, if you guys can find a theater that shows the next event, I highly, highly recommend it.

Here's my thoughts on the card, top to bottom:

Lawlor/Cote: Decent fight, nothing too noteworthy. A decent fight to kick off the prelims.

McGee/Jensen: Court McGee is looking better and better. The first round was a little slow, second round picked things up, and the third round was just explosive on McGee's end. He could be a contender with a few more fights under his belt.

Schaub/Gonzaga: Totally disappointing effort by Gonzaga. I was hoping he'd take that arrogant asshat Schaub to the ground and submit him with ease (I don't root for fighters, but there are some fighters I'll always root against). Why he tried to play Schaub's game and stand and trade with him, I'll never know.

Ortiz/Hamill: Glad to see Tito lose, maybe he'll get cut. Good first round by Tito, but even better second and third round by the inspirational Hamill. Decent grappling match overall.

Sanchez/Thiago: Excellent bout; Diego looked awesome. Glad to see him back to his winning ways, despite the Jesus-freakery. Some tremendous sub attempts by Thiago. Amazing stuff.

Shields/Kampmann: Absolutely underwhelming debut for Shields. Again, why Kampmann tired to play Shields' game, I'll never understand; he was winning the standup (where Shields is mediocre). Shields is all hype; after that showing in no way does that warrant an automatic title shot for Shields.

Velasquez/Lesnar: Total. Annihilation. Total. Awesomeness. I fully expected Cain to take this fight, but I was not prepared for him to simply batter and dominate Lesnar in one round. Lesnar cannot take a hit-we saw that with Carwin (and shades of in with Couture and Mir 2). Velasquez was cold, calculating, and accurate; technique will always prevail over brute strength. The theater let out a predominant collective groan when Brock took Cain down for the first time, but roared in approval when he got back up to his feet. We were screaming once the onslaught from Cain was unleashed, and were absolutely wild when Herb Dean called it. Never in a million years did I expect Lesnar to be simply manhandled the way he was; I though this fight would go the distance and Cain would outpoint to a decision. Cain/JDS should be amazing.

Madsen/Yvel: Dominant win by Madsen, who needed it badly after accusations of employing the alleged "lay n pray" technique in previous fights. The presumably roid-induced "backne" on Madsen was disturbing.

Roberts/Guymon: Nice anaconnda choke win by Roberts.

All in all, an excellent night of fights and well worth the $15. Would've liked to see the Sam Stout and Chris Camozzi fights, but I'm not heartbroken that I didn't. I will make it a point from here in out to see every card that is in theaters where feasible; it was just an amazing experience.
Obliteration

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 pm 

main even was as expected for me, cain vs. jds should be interesting though, i'm not sure who i want to pick.

lesnar can't take a punch, he automatically goes into panic mode, he needs to have more high level sparring perhaps?

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:08 pm 

UFC and WEC have completely merged. Hopefully we won't get any more shitty UFC cards like UFC 122 will be or 119 was.

Dreadnaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 am 

I was extremely happy to see Brock dethroned at UFC 121. I recognize that he has a legit collegiate wrestling career, that he has great MMA coaches like Erik Paulson, and that he's an imposing physical specimen. That being said, I always thought he was bad for the sport. Let's face it--people in general associate Brock with his time in the WWE. I mean no offense to those who enjoy the "entertainment" of pro wrestling, but it's a sham that MMA doesn't need to be connected with.

Pro-level catch-as-catch-can (Lancashire) wrestling was once a legitimate combat sport and martial art, in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Then, Jack Curley started the wrestling combines, and suddenly "worked" (fake) matches were the norm, and many of the top "competitors" weren't even actual wrestlers. Legit CACC wrestling really took a blow by the 1930s, and the few "shooters" (real wrestlers) were forced to either "show" (do fake matches), or find some other way of making a living. Thus, a fascinating English and American fighting method practically died out. The few legit "shooters", like Karl Gotch, settled in Japan, and if it had not been for them teaching local Japanese athletes the intricacies of catch, the art would probably have died out completely. That's the legacy of pro wrestling, and it's sad.

I don't want to see the same thing happen to MMA. Having Brock in there was a bad sign, IMO. I don't want to see MMA become some friggin' circus sideshow.

Regarding the fight, I'm a little surprised at how few people gave Caine a chance. Caine is a top-notch collegiate wrestler himself, but he's also a purple belt in BJJ, and (obviously) a potent striker. Therefore, he actually has a much better MMA skillset than Brock.

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:20 am 

Brock needs to spar harder, get hit a lot in the gym. AND he needs to pull guard. That guy can't pull guard if his life depended on it. (!)

WEC/UFC. I'm excited for new challenged for Jose Aldo, Ben Henderson, Cerone, Varner, Torres etc. It's going to be fun.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 am 

Aadil wrote:
Brock needs to spar harder, get hit a lot in the gym. AND he needs to pull guard. That guy can't pull guard if his life depended on it. (!)

Pull guard? To do what? It's not like Brock is a known sub expert (his one-off on Carwin does not an expert make). Ground & pound off of his back?

What worked for Brock, and he implemented it in pretty much every fight he won, was a takedown, followed by back control for ground & pound. Again, the sub on Carwin was a fluke.

There are two glaring holes in Brock's overall game, and neither involve pulling guard. One, he needs to spar harder to learn to take a hit (you were spot on with that one). He cannot take a hit for shit right now. Two, he needs to learn what I can only describe as "self control". He comes out of the opening bell wildly, running around like a berzerker, trying to go for some sort of extravangant finish. He ends up getting caught. In the first Mir fight, even after the ref stood them up, he took Mir down, and wildly with reckless abandon went for some ground & pound, leaving himself exposed to a sub. In the Herring fight, he threw that running flying knee right off the bat, and we were all like "ahhh" (big dude with e welterweight move), but what does it matter if he ultimately did not connect? It's showmanship for showmanship's sake, not smart fighting. And in the Cain fight, he went straight for a takedown, and when Cain popped right back up, he didn't know what to do with himself, thus the onsluaght from Cain began. He needs to be more focused and in control rather than reckless and sloppy. Setup the power moves properly, as opposed to throwing them out there and seeing what sticks.

Lesnar calling out Roy Nelson is interesting. Nelson can take some shots; reference the JDS fight. Nelson may be able to sub Brock (don't forget that Nelson's a high level BJJ black belt, despite his apperance) if Brock is a sloppy as he's been. If it stays on the feet, Nelson takes it, as his stiking game is far more crisp and technical, and again, we all know Brock can't take a hit. Brock's only shot-unless he improves his overall game drastically-is his tried and true takedown/ground & pound. I don't think Nelson will be able to outmanuver from underneath Brock if he ends up there.

Quote:
WEC/UFC. I'm excited for new challenged for Jose Aldo, Ben Henderson, Cerone, Varner, Torres etc. It's going to be fun.

Here, here. This merger is great news as the lighter weight classes tend to put on more fast paced and technical fights. I'd be fine with less heavyweight fights if it meant overall more bantamweight-lightweight fights. The lightweight division, post merger, is now more stacked than ever.
Obliteration

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 am 

Every guard situation does not end with a submission. Nor does it involve using "ground n' pound"(unless you call Kenny's lethal elbows from within the guard or something similar).The word guard is self-explanatory if you don't approach it from BJJ's point of view.

Instead of doing this, or covering his face and running away, it's better to pull guard, try to hug/strangle his hands in a defensive technique, untill the round is over or referee intervenes. This is mix martial arts, having a guard is MANDATORY(however basic it may be), if you're going to be holding a title in the sport, where everyone these days is so well rounded.

Of course, opinions vary and people don't necessarily have to agree.

Dreadnaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:01 am 

Aadil wrote:
The word guard is self-explanatory if you don't approach it from BJJ's point of view.

What does that even mean?

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:53 pm 

Dreadnaught wrote:
Aadil wrote:
The word guard is self-explanatory if you don't approach it from BJJ's point of view.

What does that even mean?

No, you know what, I think I know what he's getting at; pull guard and hold onto your opponent as a stall tactic in order to run down the clock or force the ref to separate and stand up.

BJJ's POV: pull guard with the expressed intent of landing a sub or finishing a fight; an offensive position.

Other viewpoints: pull guard strictly in terms of the physical position as a defensive position and stall tactic.

I don't necessarily disagree with Aadil, but I don't tend to think of pulling guard as strictly a stall tactic; I usually think of BJJ experts pulling guard to land a sub of their backs. I guess in some respects, the way Aadil's describing it can be thought of as a variation of what some people call "lay and pray"-holding onto your opponent to stall.

I'm not saying Aadil is wrong, but I will say that I have never seen a instance where someone intentionally pulled guard to stall. Not calling anyone a liar or saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it/heard of it. I usually see that type of stalling off of a single/double leg takedown.

Then again, I am a bit of a MMA noob.

And yeah, something like Kenny's elbows off the back is what I was referring to as ground & pound from the guard. I don't see Lesnar having the gumption or skills to try that.
Obliteration

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 pm 

Lay n' pray is when the fighter-on-the-offensive takes you down and does that. That's extremely looked down upon(including myself). We're talking about the one getting beat up(initially lesnar) to pull guard, instead of running away/hiding face. It doesn't necessarily have to be blocking the onslaught Lesnar's running away from. Sweeps/scrambles etc(which are mma wrestling techniques) can be executed off the half/guard or side-mount positions.

Good explanation to the poster above btw.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next