Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:42 am 

That was quick.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:09 am 

Interesting fight. Overeem didn't rush in or anything, he just advanced slowly for the clinch and Brock just seemed to freeze in place instead of doing anything to avoid it. Sad to see Brock Lesnar retire though.

Dos Santos vs. Overeem is going to be one hell of a brutal fight. Overeem wants to destroy JDS so bad.

By the way, that Diaz/Cerrone fight had some funny moments.

Herb Dean: You may touch gloves...
Cerrone: (ಠ_ಠ)
Diaz: (ಠ益ಠ)_|_
Herb Dean: ...or not.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:08 am 

I finally got to see UFC 141 yesterday (Saturday) after the UFC.tv crash debacle, and I was happy to see that I was wrong on Lesnar/Overeem.

He gave it his best effort, especially coming off of a debilitating disease, but Brock Lesnar is simply not a mixed martial artist. He was super classy n defeat to Overeem, and I give the man his due for having the stones to even get in there.

All around good to excellent card. Once again, I suck at picks, lol.
Obliteration

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 pm 

I still want to see Tate sit on a girls face. I really don't care who.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:07 am 

Damn, Cyborg, I am disappoint...
Obliteration

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:27 pm 

Explains her beautiful singing voice.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:36 pm 

It really isn't that surprising.

Last.fm

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 pm 

Lol @ Anthony Johnson. Dude's a dick for putting the Belfort fight in jeopardy. In case folks don't know, he came in 11-12 lbs overweight at the weigh ins yesterday.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 pm 

Aldo looked alright. Used that awesome Aikido influenced ancient Japanese cage grab to good effect. :lol:

Not the best PPV on paper or in practice, but someone got kicked in the face so I'm sure most of the fans got their $60 worth in their minds.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:33 am 

I suppose UFC 142 delivered after looking like a shitty card on paper, but there seems to be a bit of weirdness that doesn't necessarily sit right with me. It seems the rules were very oddly enforced that night.

-Rumble/Belfort: Not talking about the weight issues-that falls solely on Rumble. But the standups by Mirgliotta were oddly timed, seemingly in Belfort's favor. I don't think Rumble had the stamina after the weight/dehydration issues leading into the fight to grind on the ground for 3 rounds as per his normal strategy, so I'm not necessarily saying that he was screwed. But the very quick standups and clinch separations seemed to favor Belfort as a striker for the sake entertainment value and spectacle over sports legitimacy.

-Aldo/Mendes: Mendes was working his strategy as a wrestler shooting for a takedown when Aldo grabbed the cage to prevent it. This went unpunished by Yamasaki, which directly lead to the fight ending knee from Aldo. Was it a game changer in Aldo's favor? Probably. Should Aldo have been warned and had a point deducted? Probably. All the more puzzling considering...

-E. Silva/Prater: Same ref, extreme side of the spectrum call. The shots were clearly back of the head. Yamasaki erred in waiting until Prater could not continue after 4 back of the head shots and DQing Silva as opposed to stepping in after 1 or two shots to break up the action and deduct a point. I suppose the action happened so fast and in the heat of the moment, this possibly was the right call, but this fight makes the case for instant replay in MMA (Jones/Hamill makes a similar case) for when possibly controversial calls are too close to make as they happen. Plus, Joe Rogan was totally out of line in calling out Yamasaki after the fight.

So you have funny business in three of the five (60%) main card fights. It makes me wary that the rules are so bizarrely enforced in areas where there is no athletic commission oversight (mainly international cards). I hope this is not the case for UFC 144 in Japan, which looks like a stellar card on paper. I do acknowledge that there is loose/nonexistent consistency of rule enforcement in the States, but more than half of the fight card having rule glitches in an area where there is no commission jurisdiction seems like more than a coincidence (couple that with the seemingly stacked matchmaking favoring the Brazilian fighters in Brazil).

Otherwise, this was an aesthetically pleasing night of fights, despite the card looking terrible on paper.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Tavares/Stout on the undercard, which seemed to have questionable judging favoring the local Brazilian fighter. It was surely a close fight, and I could see a split decision or possibly even a draw (Sherdog writers Breen, DeSantis, and Nelson scored it a split decision favoring Stout in their live play by play, for one example), but for a unanimous decision with no announced scores favoring the Brazilian fighter in Brazil seems far too convenient.
Obliteration

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:37 pm 

While I personally disagreed with Joe Rogan's perspective on the blows to the back of the head, I don't fault him for pursuing something like that vociferously. It calls to the public eye the issue that MMA has defining the area of "the back of the head" that has been debated about for years. Hopefully this pushes the ABC to sit down and come up with a single definition used across North America (and ultimately the world).

Also it forces the issue a little as far as to what responsibility the UFC should have in sanctioning and making decisions such as changing results in overseas events where no commission oversight is present. They do not want to for legal reason, I assure you of this. However I'd like to see them farm out such decisions to someone, even if its a shell organization they create and fund.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 am 

FirebathDan wrote:

-Aldo/Mendes: Mendes was working his strategy as a wrestler shooting for a takedown when Aldo grabbed the cage to prevent it. This went unpunished by Yamasaki, which directly lead to the fight ending knee from Aldo. Was it a game changer in Aldo's favor? Probably. Should Aldo have been warned and had a point deducted? Probably. All the more puzzling considering...

Lead directly to the knee KO? C'mon man, I think you're overstating things here just a little. Aldo defended like 8 out of 9 takedowns. Mendes had nothing for Aldo, that much was clear. Not to mention, after the cage grab Mendes went for the exact same takedown, scored it, and Aldo popped back up literally seconds later. That KO was inevitable. Jesus, the way people talk about it, you'd think this is the first time cage-grabbing has ever happened in MMA.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 am 

Wholly agree with FirebathDan on all cards, although I wouldn't say that the fence grabbing by Aldo was any sort of a game changer. Punishable, sure, but Aldo was in control for most of the fight anyway and that knee came at the very end of the round, not after the grabbing incident.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 am 

@SymposiumOfSickness I'd have to watch the fight again, but I remember the chain of events as such: Mendes shoots, Aldo holds the fence preventing the takedown, Mendes attempts to shoot again and Aldo catches him with the knee. I could be wrong or have a cloudy memory, in which case I'll gladly retract me statement. My point though was it was known going in that Mendes was a grinder looking to take it to the ground and the illegal fence grab nullified that possibly affected the outcome of the fight. It's also equally possible that the fence grab had no impact-Aldo is a known beast with his TDD.

(EDIT: With regards to the above paragraph, by multiple accounts including multiple posts here and researching play by play reports on the web, I had the chain of events surrounding the cage grab wrong; the fight ending kneee came a bit afterwards. So I retract that. But my point below regarding rule enforcement inconsistencies and the seeming "hometown" bias still stands)

As far as "you'd think this is the first time cage-grabbing has ever happened in MMA" goes, I know it isn't and it probably won't be the last either. But I'm not talking about those other times. I'm talking about this time. The rule seemed to be lackadaisically enforced in this particular instance (tying into my overall point of favoring the Brazilians in Brazil when there is no athletic commission oversight).

@godsonsafari My beef with Rogan in this case is that Zuffa has worked exceptionally hard to legitimize the sport of MMA since 2001, and has made great strides now with the FOX deal. In order to treat MMA as a legit sport, it has to be comparable to other legit sports. Could you imagine if Troy Aikman or whoever waltzed onto the field and questioned a ref's call during a live NFL broadcast? The NFL commissioner's office would be all over his ass! Rogan needs to keep stuff like this to interviews (when he's being interviewed, not his post-fight ones) or his blog or something similar. His concerns are legit and should be voiced. His actions on Saturday, however, were amateurish and makes the sport of MMA look amateurish-it was not the time or place to voice such concerns IMO.
Obliteration

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 am 

Rogan was doing his best Larry Merchant/Jim Gray impersonation out there. I'm not at all upset that he took umbrage with something and raked an official over the coals for something he felt was incorrect. Assuming you buy into the mohawk as the proper interpretation of the back of the head, you'd be justified in doing so.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Brazilian UFC 142 bias

I would definitely agree with that. That BS Stout/Tavares decision is pretty indicative of such.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 am 

My picks for UFC on FOX 2:

Evans/Davis: Gotta go with Rashad Evans here. Davis is a superb wrestler and has beaten some top flight competition (Gustafsson, Stann, Boestsch, and even Lil Nog), but I just see Rashad as a much more experieiced and complete mixed martial artist and he's coming in with a nasty demeanor, hungry and motivated to finally earn his shot and settle his beef with Bones Jones.

Sonnen/Bisping: Fully rooting for Bisping, knowing Fael Sonnen will very likely grind his way to a victory.

Maia/Weidman: Hard to pick. Don't really know much about Weidman aside from being undefeated and finishing 5 of his 7 fights. Despite that, I'm going to pick Weidman over Maia-I just feel Maia is totally overrated. This guy is heraled as some sort of submission wiz, but hasn't submitted anyone since Feburary of 2009 (ironically enough, the even more overrated Jael Sonnen). He's gone 4-3 since then with all of his wins coming via decision-a very poor record for a supposed sub ace. Not very impressed with Maia, and I'll take the up and comer here.

A decent undercard too, but it's not really making me lament the fact that I don't have cable TV (i.e. no Fuel or FX). I kinda alreadly miss having the prelims on Facebook, but it is what it is, I suppose.
Obliteration

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 pm 

For those who are confused at "back of the head" and how it is managed by mma refs....in the Prater fight there was no more than ONE illegal strike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI9NmwGcPi4

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:22 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
My picks for UFC on FOX 2:

Evans/Davis: Gotta go with Rashad Evans here. Davis is a superb wrestler and has beaten some top flight competition (Gustafsson, Stann, Boestsch, and even Lil Nog), but I just see Rashad as a much more experieiced and complete mixed martial artist and he's coming in with a nasty demeanor, hungry and motivated to finally earn his shot and settle his beef with Bones Jones.

Sonnen/Bisping: Fully rooting for Bisping, knowing Fael Sonnen will very likely grind his way to a victory.

Maia/Weidman: Hard to pick. Don't really know much about Weidman aside from being undefeated and finishing 5 of his 7 fights. Despite that, I'm going to pick Weidman over Maia-I just feel Maia is totally overrated. This guy is heraled as some sort of submission wiz, but hasn't submitted anyone since Feburary of 2009 (ironically enough, the even more overrated Jael Sonnen). He's gone 4-3 since then with all of his wins coming via decision-a very poor record for a supposed sub ace. Not very impressed with Maia, and I'll take the up and comer here.

A decent undercard too, but it's not really making me lament the fact that I don't have cable TV (i.e. no Fuel or FX). I kinda alreadly miss having the prelims on Facebook, but it is what it is, I suppose.

I'm going with Evans *IF* he lets his hands go and doesn't let his ego force him into trying to outshine Davis in the wrestling dept. - he won't out-wrestle Phil. Sonnen is going to slaughter Bisping, and then carry on with some weird shit about Anderson, WWE-style. Maia will win because he is Maia and his bjj is ridonculously scary.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 pm 

As for Dan's comments on grabbing the fence, I agree ten thousand %, but it's nothing unique to Brazil or solely indicative of a slant towards hometown fighters there: it sucks dogshit overall. Guys like Bisping, Evans, Lesnar while he was in, even Leben ALL have had multiple fence grabs that haven't been picked up on. Shit, Rashad in particular is horrifically bad about that cheating shit.

Either refs need to call it each time, every time - or they should just remove it as a violation...pick a line and stand in it, ya know?

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 am 

My UFC 143 picks:

Herman vs. Starks: From what I remember about Starks' performance at UFC 137, I'm gonna go with Herman. No vested interest in this fight on paper on my part.
Jorgensen vs. Barao: Young Guns is my favorite bantamweight, he destroyed Ken Stone with ease and had a few memorable fights in the WEC, so naturally I'm going with Jorgensen.
Koscheck vs. Pierce: Don't like him, but Koscheck is the only logical answer here.
Nelson vs. Werdum: Personal preference says I gotta go with iron chinned Roy Nelson, but I could just as easily see Werdum taking this.
Diaz vs. Condit: Way closer than most people are predicting ("Diaz is gonna roll right through Condit with ease!"), I still give the edge to Nick Diaz in a hard fought war. But if Diaz allows Condit to find his rhythm, this could be over in a flash.

Looks like I'm watching this show at a movie theater in 3D tonight rather than at home on my TV. Should be interesting. I had an awesome time at the movie theater for UFC 121, but that was non-3D hi-def. I wonder just how much impact the 3D will have.
Obliteration

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm 

I see Condit being a lot like Lawler, and getting beaten up much the same. He'll land something on Diaz, but I'm pretty doubtful that one or two shots he lands will be enough. He just isn't a strong wrestler, and that's how you beat Diaz.

Koscheck is getting old, Pierce is a solid, unspectacular fighter who can wrestle well, I dunno. I guess Kos is the safe pick. Another contender bites the dust.

Werdum should beat Nelson. Its a question of who the better grappler is, and that answer is Fabricio Werdum, who became seriously underrated for losing to Dos Santos and then managed to have some pretty impressive wins in Strikeforce that people underrated for no good reason.

Don't care about any of the other fights. My guess is that Barao loses because he's facing a wrestler and Brazilians suck against wrestlers.

Anderson Silva
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:52 am 

I'm glad Condit won, shame he's going to get 50-45'ed by GSP though. I hope he catches him with a flying knee or something.

And K-1 Werdum looked good tonight, hope he fights Mir next. I think he'd beat him.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:30 am 

Anderson Silva wrote:
I'm glad Condit won, shame he's going to get 50-45'ed by GSP though. I hope he catches him with a flying knee or something.

And K-1 Werdum looked good tonight, hope he fights Mir next. I think he'd beat him.

No controversy for me; Condit was the clear and rightful winner of that decision. Nick "Eric Cartman" Diaz can take his ball, go home, and cry about it some more.

And Mir/Werdum would be brilliant.
Obliteration

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:38 am 

These no brain fucking judges. 49-46? What the fuck is that shit? Way to close of a fight for the cards to read that. Diaz was robbed big time. WAR DIAZ!

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 pm 

I meant to clean up my grammer and cursing issues in my prev. post using edit but didn't catch it in time. MMA is my passion and I was heated lol, I do apologize. :)

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 pm 

Anderson Silva wrote:

Holy shit, Anderson Silva posts on MA!!!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:34 pm 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
Anderson Silva wrote:

Holy shit, Anderson Silva posts on MA!!!

L-O-fucking-L

@LiveForDoom; Even though we disagree at the matter at hand (I personally had it 48-47 Condit-with him taking rounds 3,4, and 5-and I agree with the overall decision in Condit's favor), I don't think anyone around these parts cares about cursing (so long as it is not directly abusive to another poster, I suppose). :headbang:

EDIT: Let me add that my experience in the movie theater in 3D for the fight card last night was meh. 3D doesn't do shit for me personally, and the colors were way off (all the white dudes appeared red, which was truly psychedelic in Scott Jorgensen's case), which the theater manager tried to attribute to a bad feed from the UFC (which I know is bullshit from my years in A/V-it was a bad cable somewhere in the theater). Best part about it was we got Anik and Florian on commentary all night as opposed to Goldie and Rogan.
Obliteration

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
Anderson Silva wrote:

No controversy for me; Condit was the clear and rightful winner of that decision. Nick "Eric Cartman" Diaz can take his ball, go home, and cry about it some more.

And Mir/Werdum would be brilliant.

TRUTH!!!!! OMG with all the crybaby bs from the Diaz nuthuggers....at BEST, I thought Diaz took rd. 2, and that is IT. Some people do not seem to understand that just because you're going forward/backward that this means something about controlling the fight. Also, slipping a punch (or for that matter, getting out of a potentially shitty situation) is NOT "running away"....idiots harped on that same shit with Machida and several others. I personally (you may or may not agree) think that just standing there so Derp-Derp (Diaz, Rampage, whoever...) can wail on you or trade until someone falls is a fuckin' colossally stupid idea. But to some that defines fighting, apparently.

Agreed with Mir/Werdum.....the Jits Blitz for that fight is going to make my brain explode.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:07 am 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:

TRUTH!!!!! OMG with all the crybaby bs from the Diaz nuthuggers....at BEST, I thought Diaz took rd. 2, and that is IT. Some people do not seem to understand that just because you're going forward/backward that this means something about controlling the fight. Also, slipping a punch (or for that matter, getting out of a potentially shitty situation) is NOT "running away"....idiots harped on that same shit with Machida and several others. I personally (you may or may not agree) think that just standing there so Derp-Derp (Diaz, Rampage, whoever...) can wail on you or trade until someone falls is a fuckin' colossally stupid idea. But to some that defines fighting, apparently.

Agreed with Mir/Werdum.....the Jits Blitz for that fight is going to make my brain explode.

Wait, didn't you know? You're a pussy if you don't stand directly in front of your opponent and let him punch you. Also, Condit is obviously a faggot and not a real fighter!!!! Just look at this fag's record.

13 KOs
13 Submissions
2 Decisions

He's clearly a point fighter.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 am 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:

Wait, didn't you know? You're a pussy if you don't stand directly in front of your opponent and let him punch you. Also, Condit is obviously a faggot and not a real fighter!!!! Just look at this fag's record.

13 KOs
13 Submissions
2 Decisions

My attitude is this; the W is the W. If you devise a strategy that's legal within the rules to exploit an opponent's weakness, use it. (EDIT: I know SymposiumOfSickness was being sarcastic, this is addressed to everybody)

I'm certainly tired of the "real fighter" or "warrior spirit" argument; the notion that MMA/the UFC serves as a vehicle to simulate an actual street fight died in 2000 at UFC 28 with the adoption of the unified rules (you could even say this was the case back in 1994 for UFC 3 when ref stoppages were added-but that's neither here nor there). MMA is a modernized, professional, regulated combat sport.

If you're (generalized; not directed at anyone specific) looking solely for a street fight/slugfest I suggest seeking out Tank/Ferrozzo 2 on YouTube.

At any rate, to me, walking forward, throwing and landing fewer strikes, talking shit/taunting, getting your takedowns stuffed (save for one), and having your submission attempt defended hardly constitutes "ring control". That's what I saw from Diaz the other night. After finding his groove starting in round 3, Condit peppered Diaz with leg kicks, head kicks, punches, elbows, kness, and spinning backfists. The notion that Condit "threw leg kicks and ran for 25 minutes" is absurd. Yeah he was elusive; so what? Don't they call that "stick and move" or even more anecdotal "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" in boxing?

Saturday night proves that Diaz was hand-fed mediocre opponents tailor made for his style in his post-UFC Strikeforce/Elite XC run (with Gomi being the lone exception-that was an exceptional fight with a fantastic ending, but he fucked that up too by testing positive for weed). I don't care much for Diaz, because I generally do not like shit talkers and unsportsmanlike like conduct, but I will acknowledge that he is an extremely talented mixed martial artist. But I'm certainly convinced that GSP would've absolutely annihilated Diaz had they fought.

/rant, I suppose.
Obliteration

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 pm 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:

13 KOs
13 Submissions
2 Decisions

Lol, exactly....it's horrendous how the Diatards are spazzing.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:55 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:

13 KOs
13 Submissions
2 Decisions

My attitude is this; the W is the W. If you devise a strategy that's legal within the rules to exploit an opponent's weakness, use it. (EDIT: I know SymposiumOfSickness was being sarcastic, this is addressed to everybody)

I'm certainly tired of the "real fighter" or "warrior spirit" argument; the notion that MMA/the UFC serves as a vehicle to simulate an actual street fight died in 2000 at UFC 28 with the adoption of the unified rules (you could even say this was the case back in 1994 for UFC 3 when ref stoppages were added-but that's neither here nor there). MMA is a modernized, professional, regulated combat sport.

If you're (generalized; not directed at anyone specific) looking solely for a street fight/slugfest I suggest seeking out Tank/Ferrozzo 2 on YouTube.

At any rate, to me, walking forward, throwing and landing fewer strikes, talking shit/taunting, getting your takedowns stuffed (save for one), and having your submission attempt defended hardly constitutes "ring control". That's what I saw from Diaz the other night. After finding his groove starting in round 3, Condit peppered Diaz with leg kicks, head kicks, punches, elbows, kness, and spinning backfists. The notion that Condit "threw leg kicks and ran for 25 minutes" is absurd. Yeah he was elusive; so what? Don't they call that "stick and move" or even more anecdotal "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" in boxing?

Saturday night proves that Diaz was hand-fed mediocre opponents tailor made for his style in his post-UFC Strikeforce/Elite XC run (with Gomi being the lone exception-that was an exceptional fight with a fantastic ending, but he fucked that up too by testing positive for weed). I don't care much for Diaz, because I generally do not like shit talkers and unsportsmanlike like conduct, but I will acknowledge that he is an extremely talented mixed martial artist. But I'm certainly convinced that GSP would've absolutely annihilated Diaz had they fought.

/rant, I suppose.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Nick Diaz is still an incredible fighter and you can't deny his talent, but a major flaw of his has been exposed. Saturday's fight only showed Diaz's complete inability/refusal to adapt to an opponent that does not play into his strategy of trapping them against the cage and teeing off. Of course the blame for this also lies with his corner. This somewhat baffles me as Diaz is very well-rounded. He possesses a very dangerous ground game, yet expects all his opponents to stand right in front of him and trade punches. Stubbornly relying on one gameplan even when it's clearly not working is foolish. Machida found this out the hard way via Shogun's fist. Fortunately in his case, Machida is starting to utilize more offensive strikes in his fights. Let this be a lesson for Nick.

FirebathDan wrote:
Best part about it was we got Anik and Florian on commentary all night as opposed to Goldie and Rogan.

Heeere Weee Go!

Oh he's dropping down for a leglock Mike!! It looks deep, he's in trouble here Mike!! Oh...no he got out...he's okay...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm 

Diaz rounds 1 and 2, Condit the rest.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 pm 

Anyone else happen to see Cazares vs. Figueroa? Fig's balls took a freaking beating the likes of which I haven't seen since Gonzaga/Tuscherer. The fight was pretty damn good as well, probably the best back and forth of the evening, with both fighters scoring devastating head kicks and near tko's.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 am 

Nahsil, how do you not give the fifth to Diaz? It was pretty even up to the point where Nick took his back and then it was just sub attempts and punches from back mount for the rest of the round.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Nahsil, how do you not give the fifth to Diaz? It was pretty even up to the point where Nick took his back and then it was just sub attempts and punches from back mount for the rest of the round.

Not sure how Nahsil looks at it, but since I scored round 5 for Condit in a previous post, my reasoning is that Condit outstruck & outlanded* Diaz in that round and successfully defended the submission attempt. The only thing Diaz had in that round, in my mind, was the successful takedown.

(*You'll have to select "Round 5" instead of "Total" to bring up the stats for that round. The math is Condit landed 30 of 49 strike attempts (61%) to Diaz's 19 of 47 attempts (41%))
Obliteration

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:31 am 

Quote:

In boxing, you'd call that being "a runner". There are successful runners in boxing - I think of Cory Spinks right away. But people hated Cory Spinks and the networks stopped showing his fights, even after his legs went away and he actually had somewhat entertaining fights. Condit didn't do anything that I'd consider proper counter punching or stick and move action. Strike and run, strike and run, stayed away from anything that would be connoted as a exchange, did nothing to seriously hurt Diaz and end the fight.

Quote:

So let me get this straight: Diaz was hand fed people to make him look good in Strikeforce and EXC, he didn't really beat quality guys. I mean, aside from sending BJ Penn into the witness protection program when Penn was generally still rated in the top 5 of the division, of course. C'mon man, that's ludicrous.

BTW, yes, GSP would have beaten Nick Diaz. He'd beat Carlos Condit too, assuming he can move when get gets back. For both guys, GSP is a stylistic nightmare that would waste them.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
So let me get this straight: Diaz was hand fed people to make him look good in Strikeforce and EXC, he didn't really beat quality guys. I mean, aside from sending BJ Penn into the witness protection program when Penn was generally still rated in the top 5 of the division, of course. C'mon man, that's ludicrous.

Well, let's see:

Gomi-Great win, but he fucked it up with weed.
Aina-Can.
Noons 1-I suppose you can say it's a fluke win for Noons.
Inoue-Medicore.
Corrbery-Can.
Denny-Journeyman at best.
F. Shamrock-WAYYYYYYY past his prime.
Smith-Can.
Zaromskis-Can. Only notable win was a WAYYYYYYY past his prime Saku.
Sakurai-Mediocre.
Noons 2-Decent at best.
Santos-Mediocre.
Daley-Overrated beyond belief. One dimmensional striker, tailor-made for Diaz's style.

So yeah, this 11-1-1 "tear", as Rogan put it, is against hardly noteworthy, sub-par competition. I didn't include BJ because I was talking soley of his fights between his first and second UFC run. BJ is a good win for sure-no argument from me there.
Obliteration

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

That 11-1-1 record matches very well with anyone in the UFC or Strikeforce. Condit's 13 prior fights coming into this bout feature lots of wins over journeymen type fighters, life and death wars with gatekeepers that he won (Ellenberger, and I think that was a gift, also Miura) and lost (Kampmann). His best win over that time period was Dan Hardy, who happens to be a one dimensional British striker. Where have I heard that before? It doesn't matter now because he beat Diaz after Diaz established himself beating BJ Penn in dominant fashion.

Nick is obviously not an invention of record building any more than anyone else is in the sport.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next