Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
maesedelta7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm 

First of all...

LOTR trilogy: It inspired me into writing my first novel 8 years ago, and shortly reading the first book on that time, I truly found my love for everything epic in movies, literature and music, and I've been keeping that passion since then. Aware of the changes the adaptations would take, I still like the outcome, and there hasn't been a new fantasy on movies that has surpassed it... that is for me, of course.

The old Star Wars trilogy. A cultural treasure for so many fans, so many cherished memories for the older fans. It will never lose its magic and power.

Other trilogies:
Evil Dead
Mad Max

And from George A. Romero's:
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

That was for not counting the fourth one, which isn't bad really, but I prefer mostly the previous one, being the best of them all Day of the Dead *salutes to Bob* XP

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 pm 

pseudodraconis wrote:
Saruman and Grima didn't go to the Shire because the director felt it would be too much after the huge battle in Gondor. That's why they just kill him off in Isengard. Kind of a cheap death, I thought. I don't know why Tom Bombadil wasn't in it. I was most bothered by Elves and Helm's Deep and the portrayal of Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor, to an extent. And giving Arwen a ton more screen time than she deserved, as well as dragging out Eowyn's infatuation with Aragorn. Didn't he pretty much tell her right away in the book that he wasn't into her? In The Two Towers they have them making googly eyes through half the fucking film. Despite all of that it's still good. But Back to the Future still ranks as top trilogy for me. What was wrong with the third one? I've always wondered how the hell he made a new time machine out of a train in the 1800s.

Yeah, I know why he did it in theory, but I mean, in the extended version they added pointless shit instead of including in something like that and good ole Tom Bombadillo? That was what pissed me off. Faramir's portrayal pissed me off to no end! I usually abstain from talking about it, but he's entirely different in the movie than the book, and there's no call for it. And yes, there was that added love interest thing for Hollywood's sake, but yeah, it's all tolerable because they didn't skimp on the meat of the story and the acting and the lines were quite well done. Also, the casting was generally brilliant.

Back to the Future 3 rather fell flat after the first two. I still watch it at times, but it never held my interest like the two. But yeah, no idea how he did the time machine train. But that's scifi for ya, haha.

Zanklot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:40 pm 

Give it a rest already. LOTR movies may not have every hobbits pubic hair from the books, but i still think that Jackson & co. did an okay job and treated the source material with a LOT more respect than Hollywood usually does. Things could have turned out much, much worse. Remember Earthsea?

TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:25 pm 

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars have my vote....and if you ignore the latest sub-par addition to the series, the Indiana Jones trilogy kicks ass.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm 

Indiana Jones would've made a brilliant dilogy. The third one was pretty mediocre, I'm not sure why I'm the only one who seems to think this around here.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:58 pm 

I like Star Wars and LotR, but I find them overrated. Right now I can't say what is my favorite trilogy, but it wouldn't be those. Star Wars is great, but it's basically a sci-fi movie for non sci-fi fans. And the first three Star Wars are like the only really good movies George Lucas made, euh the first is the only good movie he directed. Out of the 3 originals, beside the story, he only directed the first. Hell it took him 22 years to make another movie after Star Wars. The others are not so good (particularly episode 1), and all the others he made are supposedly shit or not that bad. Seriously, he's one of the most overrated director ever.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:33 pm 

7IHd wrote:
Yeah, I know why he did it in theory, but I mean, in the extended version they added pointless shit instead of including in something like that and good ole Tom Bombadillo? That was what pissed me off. Faramir's portrayal pissed me off to no end! I usually abstain from talking about it, but he's entirely different in the movie than the book, and there's no call for it. And yes, there was that added love interest thing for Hollywood's sake, but yeah, it's all tolerable because they didn't skimp on the meat of the story and the acting and the lines were quite well done. Also, the casting was generally brilliant.

Faramir was different in the films because no moviegoers want to see Jesus on screen unless he's getting skinned to death and hung up on a hill. Which is fine, since Faramir was pretty much the least believable character in the book. Tom Bombadillo, on the other hand, was the most annoying character in the book. Glad he was cut.

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:35 pm 

Terminator is fucking awesome. The new one was disappointing, but it doesn't mar the original trilogy.

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE

Fuck yeah, Schwarzenegger!

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:07 pm 

Zanklot wrote:
Give it a rest already. LOTR movies may not have every hobbits pubic hair from the books, but i still think that Jackson & co. did an okay job and treated the source material with a LOT more respect than Hollywood usually does.

Didn't everyone already admit this??? I don't really know who you're trying to address with this...

MercyfulSatyr wrote:
Terminator is fucking awesome. The new one was disappointing, but it doesn't mar the original trilogy.

The fourth one was no lamer than the third :shrug: In both is the sacrifice of the overall feel of the first two in the favor of more action and special effects.

JohnnyRebel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:19 pm 

American Pie anyone?

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm 

7IHd wrote:
MercyfulSatyr wrote:

The fourth one was no lamer than the third :shrug: In both is the sacrifice of the overall feel of the first two in the favor of more action and special effects.

In any case, number two was completely badass.

caspian wrote:

My reviews.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:28 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Indiana Jones would've made a brilliant dilogy. The third one was pretty mediocre, I'm not sure why I'm the only one who seems to think this around here.

Third one was better than the second one.

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm 

I haven't seen the third one (yet) but I'd presume Temple of Doom would be pretty hard to beat. Not to mention parts of it are pretty metal.

caspian wrote:

My reviews.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 pm 

MercyfulSatyr wrote:
I haven't seen the third one (yet) but I'd presume Temple of Doom would be pretty hard to beat. Not to mention parts of it are pretty metal.

Temple of Doom is the worst of the first 3. I thought this was common knowledge.

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 pm 

Fuck, I liked it. Probably because of the cult. Though of course the first is awesome.

caspian wrote:

My reviews.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 pm 

Oh yeah, Indiana Jones - if you don't count the newest travesty.

Raiders was a classic

Temple of Doom was awesome and probably my favorite when I was a kid

Last Crusade I actually thought was horrendous at first. Saw it again and I thought it was ok compared to the other two. It just felt so silly - yeah, and this is coming from someone who thought ToD wasn't.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
MercyfulSatyr wrote:

Temple of Doom is the worst of the first 3. I thought this was common knowledge.

Yeah. I actually liked the third one a lot, probably one of Sean Connery's best later performances. Definitely not a huge fan of the second movie. It has its moments, but it's not up to par with the other two.

Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm gonna have to say Stars Wars OT as well for my pick. It's the most consistent trilogy in my eyes, I could easily give each movie an A+. LOTR is up there too I guess.

If we were talking "dilogies" though, I could probably list a lot. Terminator, Alien(s), Die Hard, Rambo, etc.

Also, I had no idea there was a third Mad Maxx... :shock:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:54 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Third one was better than the second one.

The second one wasn't as good as the first, but it was amazingly consistent for the fast pace at which it moved; it just never let up the action and remained extremely entertaining throughout. The third was silly, derivative and overly jokey and lightweight, and while I enjoyed it, it really wasn't a great movie.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 pm 

MercyfulSatyr wrote:

Terminator 3 was bullshit. The first film was a classic of sci-fi/horror and the second was a classic of sci-fi/action. They were different, but they were both great. The third, however, was different again and entirely fucking terrible. They directly contradicted the very fucking theme of the series - that being that we have no destiny but what we make for ourselves - by making up that shit about Judgement Day being inevitible. But, hey, who cares, right? So long as it's got a seeeexxxy robot and some more Arnie-related explosions, the audience will lick it right up, right? :nono:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
MercyfulSatyr wrote:

Terminator 3 was bullshit. The first film was a classic of sci-fi/horror and the second was a classic of sci-fi/action. They were different, but they were both great. The third, however, was different again and entirely fucking terrible. They directly contradicted the very fucking theme of the series - that being that we have no destiny but what we make for ourselves - by making up that shit about Judgement Day being inevitible. But, hey, who cares, right? So long as it's got a seeeexxxy robot and some more Arnie-related explosions, the audience will lick it right up, right? :nono:

Same deal with Alien and Aliens I'd say. Alien was awesome horror, Aliens was awesome action, and from there it was just downhill.

prznmtlhed93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Hands down I'll say Star Wars (the three originals of course). Episodes I, II and III were all good enough and I watch them relatively often but IV, V and VI are all flawless masterpieces which perfectly stand the test of time. I truly can't call any of the films my favourite out of the three, they're all so good. The Empire Strikes Back is probably the most epic though.

This

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 am 

MercyfulSatyr wrote:

Not to mention that there are awful contradictions in the timeline, specially considering The Sarah Connor Chronicles series.

Anyway, Terminator 3 should have never existed, and Terminator Salvation should be the 3rd movie.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:45 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
MercyfulSatyr wrote:

Same deal with Alien and Aliens I'd say. Alien was awesome horror, Aliens was awesome action, and from there it was just downhill.

Yeah, and what really pisses me off, is how Fox fucked up the whole thing. Alien(3), by its title and Aliens', it's evolution from Alien, it was supposed to be something HUGE. More aliens than the small number they were in Aliens, instead, they devolved even further back than Alien.

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 pm 

Do the three Monty Python movies count as a trilogy?

salmur323
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:00 pm 

LOTR, of course. They're masterpieces, in my opinion.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:21 pm 

Back to the Future Trilogy.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:19 am 

Well, trilogies generally have a continuous plot, so no, Monty Python wouldn't count. Awesome movies, though.

KyleShepard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:20 pm 

The Mad Max series, but mainly because The Road Warrior is the best god damned movie ever made.

schezoid_edd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Back to the Future. Every movie is near flawless, containing an extremely enjoyable mixture of genres even within each self contained film. They have everything one ever needs in a movie: action, romance, comedy, adventure and a basic plot to tie it all together. Pure class, and a lot of fun.

I second Back to the Future. Classic!

Thebom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:21 pm 

Stars Wars definately, but the Mad Max movies are up there for sure. Die Hard until the fourth one happened. Has there ever been a good fourth movie?

Just saw Transformers, if that makes it to three I'm sure it'll make it on the list.

LordOfTerror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:28 pm 

Fulci's Seven Gates of Hell trilogy (City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, and House by the Cemetery) definitely deserve a mention here! Amazing underground horror, especially The Beyond. That movie is a nightmare on celluloid.

Other than that, I grew up on the Star Wars trilogy, love the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and worship the classic Romero trilogy. The Re-animator trilogy gets an honorable mention as well, even if the third one is below the standard set by the first two.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 am 

Thebom wrote:
Stars Wars definitely, but the Mad Max movies are up there for sure. Die Hard until the fourth one happened. Has there ever been a good fourth movie?

The Phantom Menace........no wait.....

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 am 

Thebom wrote:
Stars Wars definitely, but the Mad Max movies are up there for sure. Die Hard until the fourth one happened. Has there ever been a good fourth movie?

...Die Hard?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:32 am 

Nightmare on Elm Street IV, duh.

Anyway, I'd say LoTR is far and away the best trilogy. Indiana Jones would be close were it not for the really annoying women and kid in temple of doom.

..I've always felt that Star Wars (both trilogies) are really overrated. The classic three were sort of decent but not too great, whereas the newest three were absolutely terrible with little to no redeeming factors.

I'd also have to put hte Matrix somewhere in here. The first was really, really good, the second one quality, the third one decent albeit too heavy on CGI and with a disappointing final boss fight (Neo should've just went super saiyan, would've been so awesome). Still, one great movie and two sort of good movies is a pretty OK record for any trilogy. I also liked Terminator a great deal; first two were great and the third was pretty quality, too. Haven't seen the fourth (same with indy).

So, rankings would be:

1.LOTR

=2. Terminator
=2. Matrix
Somewhere around 4 or 5 (probably). Original Star Wars.
999,999. Newer Star Wars.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 am 

A good movie and two okay movies warrants second place on your list? You musn't have very high expectations from film.

Anywho, I thought both Matrix sequels were shit-tastic.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:08 am 

A good movie and two okay movies warrants second place on your list? You musn't have very high expectations from film.

No, I just don't place high expectations on trilogies. Big difference ;)

Also, I can see why people really hate the Matrix sequels- they're certainly not perfect- but despite the cheesy cyber goth-ness of the whole thing they're still relatively unique movies with some pretty damn cool scenes scattered throughout.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:13 am 

They had some innovative special effects, but they always just struck me as frustrating to watch. Perhaps it's because Keanu Reeves has the acting talent of a sack of crushed gravel. It was enough to support him through the first one, but by the time the sequels rolled around I just wanted to kick him in the ribs.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:43 pm 

Wow, I must say that that view that 1 good movie out of three and 2 decent ones is enough to beat out all trilogies but one is one of the saddest things I've seen. You apparently haven't seen the Evil Dead Trilogy.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:02 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Thebom wrote:

...Die Hard?

WORST VILLIAN EVER! :eek:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:31 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Thebom wrote:

...Die Hard?

WORST VILLIAN EVER! :eek:

Hahaha yeah, but to call the movie bad is a huge stretch. It was very entertaining, much moreso than the shitty ass Indy IV or the boring and modern Terminator IV.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next