Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:42 pm 

Lately I've been delving into music that I'd previously brushed aside, and one of the most interesting genres I've come across is post-rock. I know that there are a lot of fans of this sort of stuff here, so I was wondering where I should begin. What are some essential bands/albums? Thanks.

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 pm 

The first post-rock band I listened to was Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It worked for me, so maybe it would be a good starting point for you.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 pm 

Do Make Say Think are the only band I've really ever looked into. Give them a shot.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:55 pm 

My favorite album from the genre is Sigur Rós - (). Incredibly beautiful album; very melancholic, and definitely their "darkest" work, though it's not particularly "dark" per se.

Mogwai's Mr. Beast is also very good. I remember it being my favorite from them, but I haven't really listened to them in awhile, so I should get around to that.

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind is quite awesome as well. I believe they have a small orchestra playing with them on this album. Really cool stuff.

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:14 pm 

Explosions in the Sky is my favorite post-rock band. I assume that by the virtue of having heard of post-rock you have heard of EitS, though. Either way, I love their album All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. Also, their 2005 release The Rescue is available in it's entirety on their website as a free download. It's pretty good, although it isn't what I would recommend as their best.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:14 pm 

I only really know Explosions In The Sky, This Will Destroy You and God Is An Astronaut. As a fellow newbie I'd check out those bands. I understand they're some of the bigger bands in the scene. I enjoy those bands and want to find out more about the genre so will also take any recommendations in this thread on board.

AvengerofTruth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 pm 

It kind of depends on what style of post rock you prefer, the mellow kind or the kind that starts mellow and eventually climaxes (my favorite). I listen to quuite a few bands, so I'll throw in some of my favorites. I'll try to stick to just basic post rock, no genre mixing.

Mogwai is quite good, although th only album I have is Mogwai Young Team. I guess they don't really fit into either of the two descriptions I gave, they're kinda loud and mellow whenever they want to be.

Sigur Ros plays beautiful music, absolutely wonderful. Definitely the mellow kind of post rock. I only have Takk... but it's just delightful.

Sweek is one of my absolute favorites. It is definitely the climactic kind; sounds like it could be from an epic movie scene even. I only have the Unbelievable Cinematic Crash, but let me tell you, that title is an apt description of the music within.

65daysofstatic. Haven't listened to them in a while, but they are definitely enjoyable. I think they had more of an electronic rock sound to them.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:49 pm 

If you're really a babe-in-arms, you ought to try digging around on your own rather than having your hand held from the get-go. I know you won't really do that, of course, but thought I'd try. Regardless, since this thread wouldn't satisfy the requirements for even our own accursed rec forum, I'm going to send you on your way and suggest that you ask your question of a post-rock forum, or some other more appropriate venue.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.