Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jaredsin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm 

ever since i was little i've loved mythology and folklore, especially that of norway. and since getting into metal a decade ago, I've grown to appreciate many forms of cultural art. that being said would it be totally fucked up for a black american to wear a Mjolnir necklace? would that be offensive to a cultural?

it was a minor debate between a friend and i at maryland deathfest. weird or not? whats your opinion?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:24 pm 

Symbols have different meanings from person to person. Take the Confederate Flag for instance. In southern states it is primarily presented as a symbol of heritage and pride. However there are those who insist it is a racist symbol. It has been used for both, and various other reasons in addition.

The Mjolnir is no different.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:25 pm 

I'm inclined to say that perhaps it would be a bit odd in some fashion. I mean, if you like it and you know what it stands for and thats something you agree with then thats fine I suppose but if you arent of some descent in that region and there fore dont share the history of what it stood for at the time then one could argue that theres no reason for you to identify with it since its not apart of your heritage.

EDIT; and yes, as Rexx said, symbols meanings change over time but I guess what I'd be refering to is its original meaning more than anything. Which to me, is a symbol that was worn in defiance of the growing presence of Christianity in the region and obviously as some tribute to Thor.

DeathCroak
Professor R. H. Gumby

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:03 pm 

It's an ancient symbol. So the argument that it is a racist symbol is stupid, since it's only been adopted by racial seperatists very recently. I wouldn't see a problem with it, everyone wears crosses, even if there not from the middle east.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm 

jaredsin666 wrote:
... would it be totally fucked up for a black american to wear a Mjolnir necklace? would that be offensive to a cultural?

its a symbol of faith dude, and no more wrong than christians wearing crosses outside of the mediterranean.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:12 pm 

jaredsin666 wrote:
ever since i was little i've loved mythology and folklore, especially that of norway. and since getting into metal a decade ago, I've grown to appreciate many forms of cultural art. that being said would it be totally fucked up for a black american to wear a Mjolnir necklace? would that be offensive to a cultural?

it was a minor debate between a friend and i at maryland deathfest. weird or not? whats your opinion?

As my Gothi once told me, if you feel the call it doesn't matter what color your skin is.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.