Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:34 pm 

I'm getting my first car soon and my price range will probably be 5k-10k so I was wondering (under normal circumstances, no technicalities) what would be a good car in that price range. I personally want a 70's Corvette Stingray, but I'm not holding my breath on that. So what are some good cars for that price?
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:06 pm 

Your best bet would be a little Honda or something like that, smaller car that's known to be dependable. I wouldn't try for anything flashy or badass at this point. And at 5k-10k you'll most likely have to get a used one, so make sure it's not a lemon, check the CARFAX report or have someone you know, who is good with cars, have a look at it.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:31 pm 

You could either buy something Japanese and gay, something American and decent or something German and awesome. Old BMW's and Mercedes-Benzes are available in that price range and can be very dependable, although rather costly to maintain but this is offset buy it rarely actually breaking down.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:48 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
You could either buy something Japanese and gay, something American and decent or something German and awesome. Old BMW's and Mercedes-Benzes are available in that price range and can be very dependable, although rather costly to maintain but this is offset buy it rarely actually breaking down.

Yeah Japan has been making some of the most strange and pointless cars for a while. Granted they generally have good MPGs, but still they look like shit. I want something that looks semidecent, and is reliable, and BMWs were on my list for consideration, though I have heard Mercedes-Benzes have a tendency to crap out on you (I don't know personally, just what I've heard from car afficionados).
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:30 pm 

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:

Yeah Japan has been making some of the most strange and pointless cars for a while. Granted they generally have good MPGs, but still they look like shit. I want something that looks semidecent, and is reliable, and BMWs were on my list for consideration, though I have heard Mercedes-Benzes have a tendency to crap out on you (I don't know personally, just what I've heard from car afficionados).

Not really, no. M-Bs can be very reliable, solid as rock actually. Well, that depends on the model. Don't go buying a first generation ML-class (the shitty round-ish SUV) or you'll probably regret it. E-class, S-class and G-class models are all rock solid machines made to withstand almost everything and 10-year-old or so ones aren't very expensive (G-classes haven't been around in North America long enough to be affordable yet). E-classes and S-classes (pre-2000) have often been known to reach 1 million kilometres.

There are a few comments about M-Bs in this thread (mostly mine), you may want to check it out: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=50733

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:47 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:

Not really, no. M-Bs can be very reliable, solid as rock actually. Well, that depends on the model. Don't go buying a first generation ML-class (the shitty round-ish SUV) or you'll probably regret it. E-class, S-class and G-class models are all rock solid machines made to withstand almost everything and 10-year-old or so ones aren't very expensive (G-classes haven't been around in North America long enough to be affordable yet). E-classes and S-classes (pre-2000) have often been known to reach 1 million kilometres.

There are a few comments about M-Bs in this thread (mostly mine), you may want to check it out: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=50733

Thanks for the link.

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am 

Well, I would avoid anything American for now, until the auto industry stabilizes. Even with used cars you might run into problems finding replacement parts should they break down, and American cars are basically made to shit the bed on you.

Japanese and Korean cars get good mileage and are inexpensive to repair because parts are so plentiful and they're rather simple designs.

European cars look cooler, drive better, and can get comparable mileage, but if they do break down they will cost you more to fix. BMW's and Volvos are probably the most reliable cars if you're looking for a workhorse. I'd avoid Mercedes-Benz because of repair costs alone, through the roof.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:33 am 

Mercedes-Benz may be expensive to repair but they're also extremely reliable. And I doubt the costs differ much between BMW and M-B.

As for American cars, they've gotten to be very good during these last few years (ironic that the industry is in trouble now...), probably better than most Asian cars.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:35 am 

My first car was a little KIA Rio....that bitch has 120,000 miles on it and I bought it for 69$ a month...and you'll be hard pressed to find one for more than 89$ a month. I've put a minimal amount of work into it and while I've upgraded (merely because of my job started paying more) I still have that little Rio and it still runs like day one.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:39 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
My first car was a little KIA Rio....that bitch has 120,000 miles on it and I bought it for 69$ a month...and you'll be hard pressed to find one for more than 89$ a month. I've put a minimal amount of work into it and while I've upgraded (merely because of my job started paying more) I still have that little Rio and it still runs like day one.

Not to be a thread whore or anything, but this post would fit better here: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=50733

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:43 am 

Ooph, my bad yo.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:54 am 

It's ok I suppose, this thread's pretty much replaced my old one anyway.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:02 am 

Get a Mitsubishi. Japanese cars go forever and ever and ever with relatively few problems, and in my experience, Mitsubishi has proven to be among the most reliable. Had very few problems with my 2000 Magna, and it may just outlive me :P

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 am 

I would get a japanese used car, honestly. Best value for your money. A used Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, etc. are good buys (reliable, cheap, good mileage). If you want to feel cool I guess you could buy a Civic, but all the ricers drive the price up. I don't think buying a M-B/BMW would be a good use of your money. It'll go farther with a japanese car.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:55 am 

If we think about the hard value of the money, buying a German car is by far a better idea. They cost massive amounts of money when new and then proceed to lose much of their value, although the quality justifying the initial price still remains. Therefore, if you want your money to go get the best actual value, a BMW, Mercedes or even an Audi (although slightly worse than the other two) would be the number one choice.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:40 pm 

Isn't Porsche German? Probably wouldn't find one in good shape in my price range, but I can wish can't I?

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:54 pm 

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
Isn't Porsche German? Probably wouldn't find one in good shape in my price range, but I can wish can't I?

Porsche is indeed German. After a quick search I actually found a few cars in your price range. 911s are the best and as such, under 10k you'll only find QUITE old ones (70's and early 80's) in questionable (actually, they're just older so it's more risky) state.

Otherwise, if you'll accept a Porsche just because it's a Porsche, you can go for a 944 model (something of a Boxster/Cayman ancestor) for that price range, and you can get one from around 1990.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:21 pm 

The 80's and 70's models of the 911 don't look to bad.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:11 pm 

Check out the lcoal police auctions, Crown Vicks go for pretty cheap if your the first and only bidder.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:44 pm 

iAm wrote:
Check out the lcoal police auctions, Crown Vicks go for pretty cheap if your the first and only bidder.

That, and I could imagine how much fun it would be to drive one around freaking people out thinking that it's an undercover car until they see who's actually driving it.

My Last.fm

bradtheimpaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:59 am 

I got a 2003 Honda Civic with about 60,000 miles on it a year ago for around $7k (it's still completely stock aside from my iPod adaptor because I'm not a douchebag.) I love the car. 36mpg highway and reliable as fuck.

Make that comparison again and someone else will do it for you.

2Chaste2Curious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:16 pm 

I recomend a gremlin or a pinto.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 pm 

2Chaste2Curious wrote:
I recomend a gremlin or a pinto.

I recommend you stop this trolling if you wish to last long.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:20 pm 

Get yourself a gas guzzling monstrosity. Something completely impractical. The first car you buy should be one you reminisce about for years. Even though buddy was probably joking about the Pinto it is fairly common to stuff a 302 into them. A 5.0 L Pinto/Bobcat would be fun to drive around and something you could brag about for years.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited by neonchipmunk on Tue May 26, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
Get yourself a gas guzzling monstrosity. Something completely impractical. The first car you by should be one you reminisce about for years. Even though buddy was probably joking about the Pinto it is fairly common to stuff a 302 into them. A 5.0 L Pinto/Bobcat would be fun to drive around and something you could brag about for years.

I'm pretty sure that a good-looking gas guzzling monstrosity would be much better. I mean, a Pinto, no matter what you put in it, will still be a fucking Pinto.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I mean, a Pinto, no matter what you put in it, will still be a fucking Pinto.

Which is why it would be an excellent sleeper. Same idea as the Chevettes that people put small block V8s in. It's completely ridiculous but that is the point. What I'm saying is your first car is something you only do once. Have some fun with it. Get what you want not what you should or need.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:34 pm 

My friend works for BMW and has had to replace the engine block on a few BMW's. They're fuckin pieces of shit...just a name. Get yourself an old B body Chevy or Oldsmobile and you'll be set. Fuck Ford....unless you're driving the Mad Max Ford Falcon...

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:59 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I mean, a Pinto, no matter what you put in it, will still be a fucking Pinto.

Which is why it would be an excellent sleeper. Same idea as the Chevettes that people put small block V8s in. It's completely ridiculous but that is the point. What I'm saying is your first car is something you only do once. Have some fun with it. Get what you want not what you should or need.

That's why I'm getting a Mercedes-Benz S600. It's got a huge-ass V12 engine that drinks like Boris Yeltsin and to top it all off the car itself is enormous.

Anyone who works for BMW is bound to have to replace a few engine blocks... it's no different for any other company. How many cars does he actually go through in terms of numbers? I'm pretty sure the ratio is better for BMW than for Chevy and Oldsmobile, although the numbers on BMW will be inflated by the fact that every rich dumbfuck kid who just got his license will have his dad buy him a BMW and he'll drive it to ruin.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 pm 

Well this block replacement is very common in the new BMW 7 series cars for some reason....and that's pretty fucking sad. My brother has a 1996 Chevy Caprice Classic 9C1 with 250k (ex detective car) which runs just as good as these new BMW's. The LT1 and the LS family blocks are really good motors and it is unheard of for them to blow head gaskets. But at the same time, you are probably right. Being that I don't know anyone that worked for Chevy in the 70's and 80's, I can't give you any figures about engine block replacement. However, I think its pretty sad that a 3 year old car requires a new motor for the most part...whereas my 21 year old car is still running on all stock components minus the Radiator/plugs/brakes etc.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 pm 

MattFrost wrote:
Well, I would avoid anything American for now, until the auto industry stabilizes. Even with used cars you might run into problems finding replacement parts should they break down, and American cars are basically made to shit the bed on you.

Your credibility as a viable poster in this thread was lost after this paragraph.

Tell that to my father who has owned nothing but American cars his entire life. I shouldn't have to tell you the Monte Carlo he had for 16 years and traded it in (still running) for a Thunderbird he had for 10 years. Just recently he traded his Ford Taurus with over 240K (miles) on the clock for, you guessed it, another American car.

People say things like you do because they don't take care of their cars and they listen to this shit others who don't take care of their cars say. I can speak from experience since I've owned plenty of American cars in my lifetime and they have never "shit the bed" on me. One of my cars is a 2006 Ford Fusion that is just fine.

As far as not finding parts if they go under...Ford is not in trouble of going under. Oldsmobile closed their doors a few years ago and their parts are plentiful. You are misinformed if you think there is going to be a parts shortage IF something does happen.

With that said, if I was the OP, you can get a GREAT deal on a nice American car because there are people like MattFrost who perpetuate myths and mistruths. I bought a used 2002 Ford Focus for my daughter for her first car and it's a very reliable daily driver that was well under your price range. In fact, you can get a nice later model car in that price range. Be sure to check it out and, like others have said, pull a Car Fax. This won't ensure that the car is clean because some things don't get reported, but this will help you find a clean vehicle or confirm some suspicions if you do have them.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:24 pm 

just get a TOYOTA - theyre known as the most reliable cars, along with NISSAN

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:25 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Yes, they WERE known as one of the most reliable cars until the last few years in which they took a dump in reliability ratings.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:33 pm 

ogmetal wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Yes, they WERE known as one of the most reliable cars until the last few years in which they took a dump in reliability ratings.

didnt realise we were solely talking about very recent models. european ones are unreliable pretty often, with expensive price tags attached to parts. you could always get an SUV to support your troubled economy

:puke:

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:34 pm 

Haha speaking of Toyota, I took my car to the mechanic because I stripped my oil pan and wanted to get it re-threaded (years of overtightening the drain plug...Yes, I know I am a fucking idiot) and he was replacing the head gaskets on a 2005 Toyota Camry...so a 5 year old japanese cars break down before my 21 year old chevy which most people on here think is a piece of shit :)

As long as you take care of your car and read a few reviews, you should be good. Obviously there are a few American motors that were notorious for being shitty motors such as the 1981 368ci Cadillac small block which Is probably one of worst GM V8's to ever come out...and surprisingly one of the Last Cadillac motors before Oldsmobile started putting their 307 in most of the Cadillacs. So don't get an early 80's Cadillac because you will regret it. Get a 68 Fleetwood instead.

As for sports cars, good luck affording a muscle car under your budget. You can afford a G body monte carlo or an 80's F body Camaro in great shape though...but I'm not really a big fan of 80's sports cars (minus the Turbo Regal/Grand National) I like standard no frills vehicles that make great sleepers which is why I drive a box Caprice. Watch Colors with Rob Duvall and you'll know what I'm talking about....

My brother really got me into police cars...so I'd love to get a 69 Plymouth Grand Fury or a Dodge Monaco...and restore them some day.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 pm 

thats more or less true - with some crucial exclusions.

MITSUBISHI is notoriously unreliable. the gearbox and indeed drivetrain as a whole is considered weaker than their Japanaese counterparts for the most part. i know coz i had one. (Evolution I). also, your engine blocks have some weak kinda builds apparently. not built with the same appreciation for hardiness as TOYOTA.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 pm 

To the OP: if you're looking for a good sports car, aside from several valid American candidates, you might also seek out a BMW 635. They look killer, drive well and seem to be reliable enough.
Here's what one looks like:
http://cavecreekjabersauto.com/images/d ... edited.JPG

Otherwise if you're going for something a little more flashy but which should still be relatively affordable (I.E., your price range) you could try out a BMW 8-series (V8 will be less expensive and easier to maintain than V12):
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0510598901/Figura ... inaB12.jpg

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
To the OP: if you're looking for a good sports car, aside from several valid American candidates, you might also seek out a BMW 635. They look killer, drive well and seem to be reliable enough.
Here's what one looks like:
http://cavecreekjabersauto.com/images/d ... edited.JPG

Otherwise if you're going for something a little more flashy but which should still be relatively affordable (I.E., your price range) you could try out a BMW 8-series (V8 will be less expensive and easier to maintain than V12):
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0510598901/Figura ... inaB12.jpg

In my price range and still semi-flashy, sounds good to me

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:32 am 

get an old 300zx. nice, fast, light, and reliable cars with great mpg. just dont rice them, riced out Z's make me sadface :(

or you can get a camaro. early 80s models arent too expensive. lots of power in those 5.0L's but you're going to have to shell out a lot for gas.

get a manual. if you dont know how to drive one get it anyway. if you're a competent driving you should be able to pick up manual fairly quickly.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 am 

Shorgorath wrote:
get an old 300zx. nice, fast, light, and reliable cars with great mpg. just dont rice them, riced out Z's make me sadface :(

or you can get a camaro. early 80s models arent too expensive. lots of power in those 5.0L's but you're going to have to shell out a lot for gas.

get a manual. if you dont know how to drive one get it anyway. if you're a competent driving you should be able to pick up manual fairly quickly.

you better not be talking about the 90's model 300ZX coz theyre heavy tanks. like 1700kg or something (twin turbo) - waaaaaay to heavy for a sports car. you must be talking about the earlier models?

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Shorgorath wrote:

you better not be talking about the 90's model 300ZX coz theyre heavy tanks. like 1700kg or something (twin turbo) - waaaaaay to heavy for a sports car. you must be talking about the earlier models?

lol oh shit. yeah the oooooold ones like the 240z are light. it's late. after a long day of school, work, and heavy drinking my brain is all over the place.

still, Z's are awesome. i drive an 86 z31.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next