Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:18 am 

Lunar_Strain wrote:

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Trying to be funny or did your father skullfuck you too hard when you were a kid?

Neither. I was sure it was Turks moving into Sweden, not Kurds. Calm down, lose the attitude.

Alright. Sorry for that, I assumed it was another of those "Kurds does not exist, they are nothing but mountain Turks"-comments.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:40 pm 

Just a question because I'm curious: what ever happened to Esperanto?
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:54 pm 

diabolikon wrote:

It was supposed to be a universal language for everyone to learn in addition to their own language, and that sure didn't work out well at all.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:24 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Lunar_Strain wrote:

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Trying to be funny or did your father skullfuck you too hard when you were a kid?

Neither. I was sure it was Turks moving into Sweden, not Kurds. Calm down, lose the attitude.

Alright. Sorry for that, I assumed it was another of those "Kurds does not exist, they are nothing but mountain Turks"-comments.

I'm not ignorant, man. There are alot of people on this board from other countries with whom I've had lengthy conversations with about their culture.

I'm 'culture hungry'. Like a bottomless pit, too. I could go on all day with someone about their culture.

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

Samapico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:31 pm 

metalcore3716 wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

It was supposed to be a universal language for everyone to learn in addition to their own language, and that sure didn't work out well at all.
It was a dumb idea anyway

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:43 pm 

Samapico wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Just like Volapuk.

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm 

Samapico wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Yeah, I translated the Google homepage into Esperanto, it sure didn't look like a language I'd want to learn.

Last edited by Metal_25 on Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:49 pm 

According to Wiki, it contained vocabulary from Romantic and Germanic languages, but with the Phonology of Slavic languages...

... Who and why would anyone construct such a thing?

Volapuk, however, has a funny backround. Apparently, some Catholic priest in Germany had a dream where God told him he wanted him to construct an international language. It contained vocab' from English, German and French.

Unfortunately, Volapuk was a classic example of what we call 'Fail', and it generally replaced by 'easier' constructive languages like, Esperanto, Ido and some weird shit called 'Latino sino Flexione'...

... That last one sounds kinda sexy for some reason.

Last edited by Lunar_Strain on Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm 

metalcore3716 wrote:
Samapico wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Yeah, I translated the gogle homepage into Esperanto, it sure didn't look like a language I'd want to learn.

I tried seeing how a Wikipedia page would look like. Fuck, that language looks so shitty, it even has bits of Turkish and whatnot. Also, having a "j" in almost every word is incredibly annoying.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:
Samapico wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Yeah, I translated the gogle homepage into Esperanto, it sure didn't look like a language I'd want to learn.

I tried seeing how a Wikipedia page would look like. Fuck, that language looks so shitty, it even has bits of Turkish and whatnot. Also, having a "j" in almost every word is incredibly annoying.

Yeah, I'd rather learn Welsh than that. And Welsh has some weird wording, like the town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm 

metalcore3716 wrote:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Pronounced 'Khl-an-fai-r-poo-khl-goo-in-gih-khl-gog-erich-oo-ee-rn-drob-oo-khl-khlant-ee-see-lee-oh-gog-og-okh'.

Yeah, Welsh is alot of hacking and spitting, but when spoken fluently, it's fucking beautiful sounding.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:

Pronounced 'Khl-an-fai-r-poo-khl-goo-in-gih-khl-gog-erich-oo-ee-rn-drob-oo-khl-khlant-ee-see-lee-oh-gog-og-okh'.

Yeah, Welsh is alot of hacking and spitting, but when spoken fluently, it's fucking beautiful sounding.

I actually think Welsh is interesting though.

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 pm 

I am nearly fluent in French although I still have a noticeable accent. I'm able to piece together and understand fragments of written Spanish. It would be interesting to learn a language that isn't Latin-based, but I don't know if I have enough patience for it.
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 am 

I wonder. So many people speaking French.

I wonder what language the majority of MA users speak daily.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:25 am 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
I wonder. So many people speaking French.

I wonder what language the majority of MA users speak daily.

French :p

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 am 

It'd be nice! :P

That may just be wishful thinking, however.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:09 am 

Actually what I mean to say was that I myself speak French as a daily language and I'm pretty sure Morrigan, Evenfiel and Hellblazer do as well.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:19 am 

Quick linguistic question: are there any languages commonly in use today with a smaller alphabet than English? The fact that English is (ordinarily) devoid of accent marks entirely seems to make it the smallest out there.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

VLRhmt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:23 am 

In italian alphabet J, K, W, X, Y are usually considered as foreign letters and à, è, é, ì, ò and ù are always considered simple variants. So the italian one can be considered smaller.

Samapico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:19 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Actually what I mean to say was that I myself speak French as a daily language and I'm pretty sure Morrigan, Evenfiel and Hellblazer do as well.
I'd say a good percentage of users from Canada are from Québec, and these people speak French.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:01 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
Quick linguistic question: are there any languages commonly in use today with a smaller alphabet than English? The fact that English is (ordinarily) devoid of accent marks entirely seems to make it the smallest out there.

I'm sure that if you look at some of the former Soviet countries in Asia, the ones who use their own variant of the Cyrillic alphabet, there are some that actually have fewer letters than Latin based scripts.

Edit: Btw, how are you, man? I haven't seen or spoken to you since Mike's party last.. shit, last summer, actually.

BCF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 pm 

I am fluent in French and English, I can express myself equally fluently in both languages. I have been studying Spanish for 4 years in school, I can express myself moderately. I also can speak very basic German.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm 

VLRhmt wrote:
In italian alphabet J, K, W, X, Y are usually considered as foreign letters and à, è, é, ì, ò and ù are always considered simple variants. So the italian one can be considered smaller.

Yea, the italian alphabet consists of 21 letters, and I'm pretty sure it's the shortest one in Europe.

Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm 

I speak French and English perfectly (native), pretty good Portuguese (living there), basic Spanish and acceptable German. I also studied Latin for about 2 years and am currently wondering if I should learn Italian, which sounds nice and should be easy since I have a knack with latin languages.

Was Vincent standing beside you while you wrote that, threatening you with sodomy?

VLRhmt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:50 pm 

You should. "The study of Italian sharpens the mind".

DeathByTheSword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:54 pm 

Marag wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Marag wrote:
I love to study languages, but I usually don't have patience to learn them properly, so I kinda pick up a language to learn, study it for a few weeks and then stop...

I take Spanish and English classes every week school, and i'm somewhat fluent at english, but not very much at spanish(my grades in spanish are higher than the english ones, but what I speak is more akin to the infamous "Portuñol" than spanish.)

And Portuguese is your native tongue? That's pretty ironic that Spanish is harder for you since Portuguese and Spanish were at one time essentially the same language and share alot of mutual intelligibility. I think it's at about 80% m.i.

Yes I know, it's pretty strange.Spanish and Portuguese do share a lot of mutual intelligibility, and lusophone people with no previous knowledge in Spanish can understand them pretty well(don't about the other way, though).I'm not that good at spanish just because I don't like it very much, so I'm not a very dedicated spanish learner, and I don't use it as often I use english.

Totally! I went to Spain sometimes and just spoke Portuguese with an accent and I got along just fine.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:26 pm 

Well, I´m Brazilian, so Portuguese is my mother language, and English won´t be listed for obvious reasons, so... yeah, I don´t speak any other language, but I always wanted to speak Italian.

Jauvekt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:01 pm 

Noktorn wrote:

The Rotokas language has a much smaller alphabet than English does, with only twelve letters: <P T K G V S R A E I O U>. There are languages with fewer phonemes, but I don't know of any that are written.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:03 pm 

Jauvekt wrote:
Noktorn wrote:

The Rotokas language has a much smaller alphabet than English does, with only twelve letters: <P T K G V S R A E I O U>. There are languages with fewer phonemes, but I don't know of any that are written.

Wow, a 12 letter alphabet sounds nice.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 pm 

Apart of spanish and engrish I can also understand Portuguese

Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm 

gomorro wrote:

I have always found it bizarre that the portuguese understand spanish faaaar better than vice-versa.

Was Vincent standing beside you while you wrote that, threatening you with sodomy?

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:55 pm 

Omnivore wrote:
gomorro wrote:

I have always found it bizarre that the portuguese understand spanish faaaar better than vice-versa.

Same thing with Danish and Norwegian people. They seem to understand us really well, but many Swedes I know can't understand shit of what they are saying. Norwegian is easier though.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:06 pm 

I was under the impression that Swedish was the easiest of the three, both to understand and speak. I can already understand quite a bit of Swedish (written only) based on both my knowledge of German and English. Same thing with Portuguese; I can understand pretty much all of it as long as it is in written form, based only on my Spanish.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 pm 

For me, as I speak Swedish, I think it is easier than the other languages. Danish has a lot of swallowing and so, quite hard to hear what they say. I think we speak rather clearly, maybe that's why they understand us well. I once spoke to a Danish guy in Swedish and he replied in English :lol:

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Omnivore wrote:
gomorro wrote:

Same thing with Danish and Norwegian people. They seem to understand us really well, but many Swedes I know can't understand shit of what they are saying. Norwegian is easier though.

I've read somewhere that norwegians understand swedish better than swedes understand norwegian because of TV channels/programs. Swedish TV was much more present in Norway, which helps them understand it better, while norwegian TV wasn't as present in Swden. Same thing with Denmark maybe?
Obviously I have no idea myself, I just read it somewhere. I don't know which of two countries is 'bigger' but that seemed a pretty good explanation to me.

cymruambythwxm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:

Haha, that phonetic pronounciation isnt even close, I can say that place name. Well I should be able to really being Welsh and all. Not a fluent Welsh speaker though but I am learning, its a difficult language though.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:47 pm 

cymruambythwxm wrote:
Haha, that phonetic pronounciation isnt even close, I can say that place name. Well I should be able to really being Welsh and all. Not a fluent Welsh speaker though but I am learning, its a difficult language though.

Then feel free to correct me.

Metaluis90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I'm fluent in Spanish and English...that's it.

I can also speak Hieroglyphics and Braille.

No you can't, Chuck Norris is the only man who can actually speak in Braille

fucking liar.

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
No, I wouldn't marry a dildo.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:50 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
cymruambythwxm wrote:

It would be helpful if he did.

cymruambythwxm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:07 am 

metalcore3716 wrote:
Lunar_Strain wrote:
cymruambythwxm wrote:

It would be helpful if he did.

I could try but thing is in Welsh there's letters like LL, CH and NG which I cant really describe the sound of. Halfway down this page there's a link to someone saying it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpw ... iogogogoch

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next