Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
schezoid_edd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:15 am 

I can only speak english and our own language, tagalog. But our school curriculum have elective foreign languages, spanish and japanese in our 4th year. I prefer japanese though (I really like their alphabets).

krampus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:59 pm 

I am miserably useless in all languages except English. I can survive and take care of business and flirt/bar chat in French, German and Japanese.

Considering I want to be a flight attendant after my stint in Japan is over next summer, I should really get back to studying at least one of those.

MacabreBanquet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 am 

My native language is Russian and I can speak fluently English and Hebrew. I've studied a bit of Arabic but it didn't go as far as reading, counting and a couple of very common words. I can understand a bit of German, Japanese, Ukranian, Bulgarian, French and Polish. My dream is to learn at least 2 Scandinavian languages - either Nordic (both bokmal and nynorsk) or Suomi or Icelandic or Dannish. Those of you who speak fluently on those languages, is it hard to learn them?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 pm 

For any native Spanish speakers, what would you say is probably the most distinct dialect in the language?

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:27 pm 

Obviously English, near-fluent in Spanish, I know tourist French, some phrases in German, I can understand Catalan but not write or speak it, and I can read Portuguese, Italian, Occitan. Also, some domestic Gaelic.

Also, just got a book about Esperanto, which I am going to go and have a look at now.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 pm 

I want to hear what Gaelic sounds like.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:28 pm 

I speak Dutch, as it's my native language, and I'm good at English. I'm also starting to get better in Spanish, seeing as it's my main course in university. I'll take up French next schoolyear as well, and I can understand German but barely speak it.

Quote:
For any native Spanish speakers, what would you say is probably the most distinct dialect in the language?

I'm not a native speaker, and I don't know exactly what you mean by distinct, but to me the most special 'dialect' is the High-Peninsular Castilian variant, which is the standard for Spain. The way they pronounce the 'c' and the 'z' (a lot like the 'th' in English), and the loud 'j' tone (which also exists in Dutch) really appeal to me.

krampus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:31 pm 

SWAFFEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6