Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DloppyFick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:06 pm 

I've recently downloaded a huge-ass file (about 2.5 GB) and I've beeen rolling-around the idea of forking-over anywhere from $10-14 on a flash drive. The one I have in mind is a Black PNY Tech. 4GB Attache Flash Drive and it should cost around thirteen bucks (I'm also hoping to find an in-store coupon because I'm trying to scrimp and just going to the store will be easier and quicker for me). I've bought a PNY-brand 8GB flash drive, but its currently being used by everyone I know and their grandmothers (it was sort of an Duodecuple-Dutch purchase) and I need this flash drive on permanent reserve.

My question is, how long would this thing last me provided it would probably only be written-on once, maybe a few more times at most, and be kept in its package in a safe, average-temperature room?

I've also been considering importing a few other files on there aswell, provided they all fit within the 4 GB range. Would this decrease the drive's lifespan?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:19 pm 

Flash drives do eventually die simply because of constantly taking information off, putting it back on, working on it, etc. I'm really not sure. I had a 512GB at one point that lasted me awhile, but it's seriously always good to upgrade once or twice a year. If you're going to be keeping files on it for awhile, you should just get an external harddrive.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 pm 

I have a 2GB PNY Attache that I got four years ago. It still works just fine, and I'm pretty much constantly moving stuff on and off.

In other words, it'll last you long enough.

DloppyFick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
If you're going to be keeping files on it for awhile, you should just get an external harddrive.

How much will something like that cost me?

Also, thanks Ribos :)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:26 pm 

DloppyFick wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
If you're going to be keeping files on it for awhile, you should just get an external harddrive.

How much will something like that cost me?

Also, thanks Ribos :)

http://tinyurl.com/c62bum

sarcasticsmoothie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 pm 

lol that's an awesome site!!!

anyways, you could also consider getting a dvd-r or rw if you plan on adding more later, if you can keep it in decent condition and you don't need to put it in your pocket.

DloppyFick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 pm 

Yeah, I probably should've just said "oh, nevermind" in my last post since I did just that a few seconds after I hit submit :lol:

Anyways, I just the exact model today. It cost a little more but not by much. Got my file downloaded, nothing's fucked-up and now all I have to do is make a label and keep it in safe storage. Thanks for all your input, guys :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.