Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 am 

Out of curiosity, are there any fans of the series or its follow up Vampire: The Requiem?

I personally like playing as the clans: Brujah, Tzimisce, Tremere, Malkavian, Lasombra, and Giovanni. I've also played the videogame adaptations, too, with Bloodlines being my preferred of the two.

Admittedly, I haven't looked hard enough, but I've yet to encounter band lyrics that reference the game despite its underground popularity. Does any know of any? Or is anyone fan of the games? Discuss...

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:31 am 

I had a girlfriend that picked up a couple of the books and was looking into it. That was the first and only time I had ever heard of it up until now.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am 

Just ended replaying the game last week.As a Malkavian,i liked their more insane behaviour :).

You need the latest fan-patch tofully enjoy the game though,cause without it the game is almost unplayable.
On a naughtier note:Try the nude patch for it also :D

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
Just ended replaying the game last week.As a Malkavian,i liked their more insane behaviour :).

You need the latest fan-patch tofully enjoy the game though,cause without it the game is almost unplayable.
On a naughtier note:Try the nude patch for it also :D

Been there, did that. The patches fixed LOTS o' bugs. It's been awhile since I've played V:TMB.

Some of the nude patches look like shit, though.

BaronBlitzkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:20 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
Just ended replaying the game last week.As a Malkavian,i liked their more insane behaviour :)

Yeah, Malkavians are fun. I probably insulted a lot of NPCs accidentally because of the weird dialog options. Playing as Nosferatu is also hilarious just for the normal people's reactions to their ugliness.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 pm 

I play Vampire: The Requiem. I liked Masquerade, but Requiem I think has vastly improved the setting. It's made it moodier, more mysterious and generally more open ended. I was annoyed that Masquerade specifically states that the Old Testament version of world history was correct, complete with Great Flood. In Requiem, most of the deep questions about vampiric condition, origin and so on are intentionally left unanswered. It has put the focus far more on character development, the politics, horror and psychology.

In general, the game has moved into a more drama/horror/mystery region, abandoning much of the pulpiness of Masquerade, which was more of a typically action-oriented RPG rather than a storytelling-oriented one.

As for bands, one I know of is Ancient. They also have a notoriously bad music video that occasionally pops up alongside Call of the Wintermoon and so on.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 pm 

I hate the NWoD, actually. I much prefer the older. Even more than that I like the Dark Ages setting, for Vampire it works wonderfully. I have the first and second editions of those.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:56 pm 

Bah. NWoD all the way.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:57 pm 

It's really terrible, though :(

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:57 pm 

In what way is it terrible?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:01 pm 

Well, the huge core facet of the oWoD was the apocalyptic theme. That was ever-pervasive throughout nearly every single detail as far as the cosmology, world building, politics and setting goes. That is sorely missing in the nWoD.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 pm 

I played the old Masquerade game back in my early days at college, we actually had a club for it that met at the student union. I only belonged for about a month, sometime in the early part of the Spring semester of 1999. I was one of those annoying, artsy Toreador clan members, and went around a lot with my guitar playing Spanish and Italian classical works in between my various encounters. I barely remember any of the details of my character aside from that, but I met the guy who now plays bass in my band while playing it. He's now the dungeon master in the D&D games I'm involved in. :D
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:05 pm 

Oh, well, that just comes down to how you play the game. It can be apocalyptic if you want it to be. Have you read many of the actual specific gamebooks? The Vampire rulebook, Chroniclers guide? They specifically tell you that they left the things like origin and end result unexplained because they want the storyteller to fill that in as he sees fit. If you want to play it apocalyptically, you do that, it's your game. They made it as a fairly blank slate.

I personally don't much like the apocalyptic thing. I guess I'm more keen on the "big black" approach to the future than the prophetic end-is-nigh thing. Is there an end? Who knows.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 pm 

See, that's where I call BS. Every person who has ever played any PnP RPG knows that they can play the game any way they want. I'm talking about the company's laziness or unwillingness to provie more to the consumer. That's the whole purpose of these books. Otherwise they could just publish the rules system without any fiction behind it and market that off as if it were an equal product.

But I digress...

"After the release of Eve Onlineā€™s expansion in March, the company will focus on creating another multi-player game based on the popular World of Darkness fictional universes created by White Wolf."

o.O I wonder how that will come about. EVE is very, very well made even if I don't personally like it.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm 

Dude, there are heaps of books for NWoD currently out. There is a ton of information. There is all the possible apocalyptic prophecies you could want. The Chroniclers guide has like twenty different styles of playing the game, some of which completely alter the theme, canon and rules, and they're all fully fleshed out discussions of the art of storytelling. They provide the information, you just have to choose which parts of it to use. Laziness is not the word, I've got so many of the books just for Vampire that I haven't even finished reading them all.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 pm 

I'm speaking about creative and intellectual laziness, not work productivity. I'm fully aware of the nWoD canon and source material.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:14 pm 

How is that creative laziness? They've pumped out a ton of books with all sorts of different takes. You can't expect them to give you the whole thing on a plate, they want you to think about it yourself more.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:16 pm 

It's not about the quantity, I'm talking about the quality. The can churn out as many books as they want, none of the ones I've read were interesting.

the oWoD didn't give everything to you on a plate either, and it was far better.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 pm 

Have you read all the books? They explore a lot of different ideas, most if not all of which are made up of some truly intriguing concepts. It's not like they're churning out a hundred pages of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" and stamping a title on it. There's quality and quantity.

As for quality, I completely disagree. I've played tons and tons of RPGs and other nerdy things, and I've come to the conclusion that NWoD is one that really stands out to me. But I've also discovered that a stalwart few of the hardcore OWoD fans have thoroughly entrenched themselves, and it looks like I've encountered another. So it's sort of a pointless discussion. Besides it's entered the realm of nitpicking. All I can say is that it's entirely subjective. I played both kinds and I enjoy NWoD a whole lot more as I feel more open to exploration with it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.