Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:27 am 

Well, I mostly play Requiem, so I'm not so sure about Mage. I've played some Changeling, too, which is fun.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:31 am 

Mage: The Ascension is one of my absolute faves from the WW camp. It's really, really cool.

Lately I've been getting into Scion though. Original and exciting!

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:33 am 

Scion does look very promising.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:34 am 

It's pretty fun. I've had a similar idea for an RPG for a few years, to be honest. I just wish they'd incorporate more pantheons and religions into the game. Maybe with some future expansion books.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:37 am 

I'm liking the look of the Norse pantheon (the most metal of pantheons) but the voodoo one also has a sort of dark charm to it.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:38 am 

I tried playing 3rd Ed. for a while, but since I've moved to the West Coast I kind of lost the desire to find new people to play with.
I wanted to try the Call of Cthulhu themed game, maybe someday...

Maltherion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 am 

I longed to get into it throughout my youth (really! but I'll spare my tale..), but really never got a chance to start playing until shortly before I got married. My husband's been running a 4th Edition campaign for a few months. 4th Ed.'s a leap (though in which direction is debatable), but it's coming along pretty well.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 pm 

invoked wrote:
I tried playing 3rd Ed. for a while, but since I've moved to the West Coast I kind of lost the desire to find new people to play with.

Are you referring to Cthulhu Tech?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 pm 

Here's what we do: one of you guys who has a lot of experience as a DM and can run a good campaign... make one, and grab a few people from here (including me), and we will play online. There are apps for that, with dice-rolling and character sheets and maps and everything. D&D, World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, anything. Let's do it.

I've tried to set this up a few times, but it looks like Rexxz, Nightgaunt and myself are too busy (and in my case lazy) to DM. Anyone with a lot of free time care to give this a shot?

Last edited by HellBlazer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Here's what we do: one of you guys who has a lot of experience as a DM and can run a good campaign... make one, and grab a few people from here (including me), and we will play online. There are apps for that, with dice-rolling and character sheets and maps and everything. D&D, World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, anything. Let's do it.

I've tried to set this up a few times, but it looks like Rexxz, Nightgaunt and especially myself are too busy/lazy to DM. Anyone with a lot of free time care to give this a shot?

This could be pretty cool. I don't think I'm experienced enough to DM, but I'm certainly willing to participate if you can get this off the ground.

UncleYaris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:31 am 

I just recently got the latest books for it because I've always been a D&D fan (well, RPGs in general), but I never had a chance to play it. I am hoping to get a few sessions up this summer though :)

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 am 

thomash wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:

I've tried to set this up a few times, but it looks like Rexxz, Nightgaunt and especially myself are too busy/lazy to DM. Anyone with a lot of free time care to give this a shot?

This could be pretty cool. I don't think I'm experienced enough to DM, but I'm certainly willing to participate if you can get this off the ground.

I'd be more than willing to participate once a week (not that I'd be particularly wanted, in any case) if someone does step up to DM.

Even if I'm not a part of it though, adding Skype to the mix would be pretty sweet, especially if the DM is a good orator.

okram_09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:53 am 

i always wanted to play D&D, i already am into warhammer 40 k, which is kinda metal related too, with Bolt Thrower doin heaps of songs and artwork related to it. D&D id say plays an important role mainly in power metal and black metal. if you read varg vikernes' biography on his website, he talks about how he used to always play it and during the big fear in the norweigen media of black metal, the news reporters used to make up lotsa stories like that many black metal musicians went into the woods to sacrifice babies to satan, when actually it was varg vikernes and the members of other bands went into the woods to do roleplay battles with wooden swords XD

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:39 am 

okram_09 wrote:
i always wanted to play D&D, i already am into warhammer 40 k, which is kinda metal related too, with Bolt Thrower doin heaps of songs and artwork related to it. D&D id say plays an important role mainly in power metal and black metal. if you read varg vikernes' biography on his website, he talks about how he used to always play it and during the big fear in the norweigen media of black metal, the news reporters used to make up lotsa stories like that many black metal musicians went into the woods to sacrifice babies to satan, when actually it was varg vikernes and the members of other bands went into the woods to do roleplay battles with wooden swords XD

...Varg just earned a lot more respect from me.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:26 pm 

I guess this is where I remove my geek cowl and admit to playing D&D since I was around 12 or so, playing the original modules (I really liked Secret of the Slavers Stockade and Castle Amber) with my brother who's five years younger. We could blow through an entire weekend doing this. Played one or two other gaming systems here and there, like Rifts. Stopped, started up again, then stopped 'til around 2000 when my friend suggested I run a game for them (and I had just quit my job, so I had the time), so I went with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, which is very underrated, unknown, lacking in magic, and had fallen to the waste barrel in the wake of Warhammer 40K and the other miniature-based table top games. Since the system is lacking in a few things, I combined it with the third D&D system. Six of us play every Sunday night. I'm the gm/dm and we're playing with many of the same characters from 2000 (yeah, they're quite epic now). My brother's character, a human called Zed Hardmarble, goes back to the early/mid '90s, having never died and is probably the most proficient and counted on of all the characters.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Sea_Hag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:36 pm 

I've only played D&D once. My first date was basically playing D&D until 3 in the morning, he was a very "special" boy. It was a rather interesting game. I wouldn't mind playing again. If I recall correctly my step father has some old D&D manuals or something of the sort. I'll have to give them a look now that I'm thinking about it.

:]

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm 

Sea_Hag wrote:
I've only played D&D once. My first date was basically playing D&D until 3 in the morning, he was a very "special" boy. It was a rather interesting game.

I don't say this very often online, but HOLY SHIT that is fucking hilarious!

Sea_Hag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 pm 

thomash wrote:
Sea_Hag wrote:
I've only played D&D once. My first date was basically playing D&D until 3 in the morning, he was a very "special" boy. It was a rather interesting game.

It was a disaster. I felt like a complete idiot for agreeing to go. Needless to say that was the last "date" we had.

Still, interesting game.

bradtheimpaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:34 am 

I have ALWAYS wanted to play but I have never met anyone that played it and I picked up one of the books but it feels like something I would need my hand held through to get the hang of it. Especially if I was trying to start my own game.

Make that comparison again and someone else will do it for you.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:37 am 

Sea_Hag wrote:
thomash wrote:
Sea_Hag wrote:

It was a disaster. I felt like a complete idiot for agreeing to go. Needless to say that was the last "date" we had.

Still, interesting game.

I'm picturing this fellow as the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:20 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:

:lol:

That's exactly what I pictured!

Spacebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:34 pm 

diabolikon wrote:
invoked wrote:

Cthulhu Tech wasn't my cup of tea. Giant robots and shit, cool. Cthulhu, cool. When you put them together, despite how awesome you may think it will be, it tends to be the polar opposite. You end up losing the "zomg zomg I am in a big fuckin' robot crushin' your shit" feeling from the Tech part, and the wrenching madness from the Cthulhu part.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:54 pm 

Spacebar wrote:
diabolikon wrote:
invoked wrote:

Cthulhu Tech wasn't my cup of tea. Giant robots and shit, cool. Cthulhu, cool. When you put them together, despite how awesome you may think it will be, it tends to be the polar opposite. You end up losing the "zomg zomg I am in a big fuckin' robot crushin' your shit" feeling from the Tech part, and the wrenching madness from the Cthulhu part.

I've never played it. I thought it looked like a weird combination. Not necessarily good.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

Sea_Hag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 pm 

Mm, not quite. He was a skinny boy with glasses and a certain nervous tick that drove me bat shit crazy. Although he was fond of a few comics he wasn't obsessed. He was obsessed with anime and obviously D&D.

Speaking of D&D, I literally ripped apart my room to find the figurine I was given as my character. I've seemed to misplace my character sheet with all my stats. However, I snapped a kickass shot of my figurine.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:20 pm 

Well, when someone thinks D&D is a good idea for a first date they're probably going to be spending a lot of time single.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:37 am 

Well, when someone thinks D&D is a good idea for a first date they're probably going to be spending a lot of time single.

Well, for the most part yes. But there are a few girls at my school who really enjoy D&D, one of which I dated, so there's still a portion of the female population for nerds.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:49 pm 

diabolikon wrote:

Well, for the most part yes. But there are a few girls at my school who really enjoy D&D, one of which I dated, so there's still a portion of the female population for nerds.

Lived in three different countries, visited more and I have yet to meet a female D&D player. Odd now that I think about it.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:10 am 

Shallow wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Lived in three different countries, visited more and I have yet to meet a female D&D player. Odd now that I think about it.

I used to work with a girl who played D&D....

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:22 am 

I currently work with a woman who plays D&D and Warhammer. But she has a mustache, so I guess she must be part male or something.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:39 am 

i've never played this thing, but have always been intrigued by it. it's definitely one THE MOST cliche nerd things ever - which is fine. i consider myself nerdy in many other respects, just role playing hasnt been one of them.

so whats the big attraction with this game? i wouldnt mind playing it sometime but dont really know anyone who does it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2