Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 pm 

Can aybody recommend some psychedelic rock or shoegaze in the vein of "Strawberry Wine" era My Bloody Valentine and "A Storm In Heaven" era Verve? I've been looking around the web for months about music that could somehow resemble the perfection of The Verve's early works and I haven't found anything satisfying enough.

thejuiceisloose
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 pm 

I don't think metalheads would know anything about this kind of thing. The guys at this forum might be able to help, though: http://www.shoegaze.co.uk/shoegazeforum/

Every time a Christian dies they are sent straight to the Dachau of the underworld for the sin of Jesus worship!

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 pm 

I tended to drift towards the Slowdive type of shoegazer...but I do tend to think that the early bands that did this sort of thing turned out to be the best of the bunch.

I haven't checked out the Verve before...maybe I always got them confused with the Verve Pipe and got scared.

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:23 pm 

I don't know what the fuck are you talking about, but I recommend you Alcest's last album, i guess is shoegaze

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:28 pm 

I'd recommend Alison's Halo album Eyedazzler to anyone in the department for good shoegaze.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:20 am 

AleXTreme wrote:
I don't know what the fuck are you talking about, but I recommend you Alcest's last album, i guess is shoegaze

:lol:

Personally, I think [not really shoegaze, but somewhat similar] Spacemen 3 would be good to check out. A Place To Bury Strangers [last time I remember] was pretty damn good.

Uh.. how about Residual Echoes? They are actually kinda psych/folk... but they have some parts that remind me of The Verve. Ever listen to Spiritualized or Spectrum?

I'm not too familiar with shoegaze, honestly.. but I know more psych rock/folk.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 am 

I have not listened to either of those albums, but I need to mention monster Magnet and Loop in reference to shogaze. monster Magnet's early albums (Particularly Spine of God) show an awesome shogaze take on stoner rock. Loop is kind of a grunge spaceman 3.

Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:03 am 

Please all bear in mind that I'm not asking general shoegaze requests: I'm specifically looking for bands that at least sound a great deal like early Verve or early My Bloody Valentine or were heavily influenced by those. Thanks for the recommendations though.

EDIT: And if no one has heard The Verve's early work, I SERIOUSLY recommend it. For me it is the paroxysm of shoegaze along with My Bloody Valentine's work. Think a shit load of reverb that makes the music sound huge, many different guitar overdubs, a distinct influence from early psychedelic bands and less emphasis on distortion and noise and you've got the idea. It's truly epic music.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 pm 

Hmm...well that MBV song is particularly jangly and kind of atypical, so similar stuff is hard for me to think of. However, Ride's early material is in a pretty similar vein to "A Storm In Heaven."

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.