Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:06 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Oban 14 year is my favorite of the single malt scotches, it is so smooth and so enjoyable...

I've had a distiller's edition of Oban that was excellent...eventually I need to get a bottle of the 14 on my shelf.

Quote:
Laphroaig 10 year and Talisker 10 year are also awesome.

Indeed. I think I prefer the Laphroaig quartercask over the 10, which can put hair on anyone's chest, including the queen of freakin' England.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:29 pm 

Got to try some Japanese single malt a couple days ago. My friend had a short tour in Japan and got to visit a distillery while there. Japan has some very credible whiskies which, although distilled with similar techniques as scotch, has its own unique identity.

Also got to try a Rosebank for the first time.
:headbang:

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 am 

I quite like scotch, Jack Daniel's Gold Label is indeed fine shit. However, I don't usually drink when I'm alone, and I usually drink with the purpose of getting completely wasted. Taste wise, however, whisky is my second choice, and my favourite drink would definately have to be Jamaican-style dark rum, Appleton Estate or (!!!) Captain Morgan's black label.

I've only tried Absinthe once, didn't quite like it, tasted too minty. Stroh 80, however, that shit is good. Ever found yourself in an unsilent storm in the north abyss, frozen by icewinds, and the wind sweeps through the moonless sky (a reflection of a sulphur fire). Bring out that 160 proof Austrian rum!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 pm 

Jack Daniel's isn't scotch, it's bourbon.

I've tried one of Suntory's single malts as well. Definitely unique and recommended to any whiskey fan to try at least once.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:31 pm 

Anthelnor wrote:
I've only tried Absinthe once, didn't quite like it, tasted too minty. Stroh 80, however, that shit is good. Ever found yourself in an unsilent storm in the north abyss, frozen by icewinds, and the wind sweeps through the moonless sky (a reflection of a sulphur fire). Bring out that 160 proof Austrian rum!

I tend to have my Absinthe imported from Spain. I've had other brands before, but Spanish one's tend to taste the best. I'm not a big fan of aniseed, but I'll drink it. The only time I've ever hallucinated on a drink was on Absinthe after having a bottle of the 80% Spanish brand. I was talking to a chair for an hour before my sister came over and asked me what the hell I was doing.

Stroh is fantastic though. I remember the first time I had it ... My god. It was my first experience with alcohol that strong. Anyone remember the love song from Top Gun? 'Take My Breath Away'? That's exactly what drinking Stroh does. It hurts, but its a very nice drink.

Now, the worst I've had is Poteen. An Irish brand of moonshine whiskey. 90% and is simply deadly. I've had two bottles of it now, in the space of a year. It smells kinda like vodka, but tastes different. It has an abnormal effect on me ... I don't feel drunk on it, just tingly, but its obvious I am drunk.

I'm thinking of purchasing some Everclear, if I can find some to import. Its either 95% or 100%. I forget which. I also managed to find the ale I've been looking for for an eternity - SA Gold from Wales. :D

Next stop - Glenfiddich single malt whiskey, as I hear its quite nice.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:45 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Not bad, but I really do think that Glen Livet and Glenfiddich are by far not the best out there. I've enjoyed the 12 Year old special reserve, but wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

I tend to enjoy most whiskey's. In fact, the only one I've ever disliked was Jim Beam. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a really expensive bottle because I tend to drink a lot when I do drink. I'd rather buy lesser known spirits for more - like Poteen.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:29 pm 

No sense in spending 70 pounds on a good bottle of scotch if you can't really taste it after the third drink from it. Might as well save the dough and get some Grants, which I find to be a good cheap blend.

My more expensive bottles tend to get a sip here and there and will be on my shelves for years.

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:39 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Now, the worst I've had is Poteen. An Irish brand of moonshine whiskey. 90% and is simply deadly. I've had two bottles of it now, in the space of a year. It smells kinda like vodka, but tastes different. It has an abnormal effect on me ... I don't feel drunk on it, just tingly, but its obvious I am drunk.

I'm thinking of purchasing some Everclear, if I can find some to import. Its either 95% or 100%. I forget which. I also managed to find the ale I've been looking for for an eternity - SA Gold from Wales. :D

Dude, Everclear is 95% (100% is pure ethanol), and if you actually buy it for drinking, that's just fucked up. I don't drink Stroh to get drunk, I drink it cause the full-body burn is fucking wonderful and I love the taste. Btw NEVER MIX SPIRITS hehe!!

Everclear's only useful for two things - fire breathing, or mixing a litre of it with 5 litres of gatorade, drinking it all, and then pissing it out before you can get alcohol poisoning.

Jack Daniel's is bourbon? I could have sworn at least the red label was scotch. Anyway, I quite like The Famous Grouse.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 am 

Anthelnor wrote:
Jack Daniel's is bourbon? I could have sworn at least the red label was scotch. Anyway, I quite like The Famous Grouse.

Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey. FYI.

Scotch can only be made in Scotland.

Whisky is spelled that way in Canada and Scotland, and "whiskey" elsewhere. I don't know why. It just is.

Now we know.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:10 pm 

Anthelnor wrote:
Dude, Everclear is 95% (100% is pure ethanol), and if you actually buy it for drinking, that's just fucked up. I don't drink Stroh to get drunk, I drink it cause the full-body burn is fucking wonderful and I love the taste. Btw NEVER MIX SPIRITS hehe!!

Everclear's only useful for two things - fire breathing, or mixing a litre of it with 5 litres of gatorade, drinking it all, and then pissing it out before you can get alcohol poisoning.

Haha. A friend and I are going through a phase where we're trying to drink as many 80%+ drinks as possible, just to see what the world has to offer in terms of 'hardcore' alcohol. I drank Poteen to get drunk, all 90% of it. It isn't recommended, but I enjoy doing so anyway. I don't consider myself a foolish person and usually don't take risks, but this is one walk of life where I do go all out. :)

I'd definitely try Everclear and I'd definitely drink it to get drunk. Mixing spirits isn't recommended, no. I once mixed Jack Daniels with an imported brand on 80% Absinthe. That was when I had my hallucinations (or maybe I was just wasted?).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm 

There's not actually enough wormwood in absinthe to cause hallucinations. Any such "hallucinations" you might experience while drinking absinthe are just the results of being drunk.

Everclear is just the most famous brand of grain alcohol. There's really no point in trying more expensive brands, as there's really nothing to taste in it other than alcohol. It's really not worth drinking straight and is only useful for mixed drinks. Even then, the process to make it is quite expensive, so it's usually cheaper just to buy really cheap vodka (which tends to just be watered-down grain alcohol anyway).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
It's really not worth drinking straight

Says who? That's usually all I ever buy when I want hard alcohol.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 pm 

Isn't it the high levels of thujone that cause hallucinations in Absinthe? Whenever I buy Absinthe, I make sure it has a high concentration of thujone. The levels in which I purchase are actually illegal to buy in this country, though you can import (which explains how I get them). Or are thujone and wormwood the same thing?

I disagree with that, actually. The most expensive brand of alcohol I've tried (Poteen) has a very distinctive taste and smell. It has been labelled the 'new Vodka' in fact. I don't actually like Vodka, in fact, I hate it. Poteen certainly has a different taste. They say, in moderation, Poteen can taste like vanilla amongst other things. Its always had a very unique taste to me, one which I've never experienced before and high percentage alcohol always makes my body feel different ... I suppose its just like drugs ... Marijuana makes you feel one way, cocaine makes you feel another, but to more extreme levels.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:43 pm 

We have that here too, it's called moonshine.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:44 pm 

It is indeed. My mother told me about it (she's Irish) and the effects it has, so I just had to try it. :) I genuinely like it.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:45 pm 

Alot of jail juice tastes like it too but stronger.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm 

My friend is picking up the Bruichladdich Octomore for me...it's one of the world's most heavily peated scotches.

Can't wait!

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:58 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
I'd definitely try Everclear and I'd definitely drink it to get drunk. Mixing spirits isn't recommended, no. I once mixed Jack Daniels with an imported brand on 80% Absinthe. That was when I had my hallucinations (or maybe I was just wasted?).

Lol, when I said never mix spirits, I didn't mean don't mix one spirit with another, that kind of experimentation is fun (although I once made a drink that tasted like concrete). What I meant was don't mix spirits with juice/soft drink or whatever, be a man and drink it straight.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

Anthelnor wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Lol, when I said never mix spirits, I didn't mean don't mix one spirit with another, that kind of experimentation is fun (although I once made a drink that tasted like concrete). What I meant was don't mix spirits with juice/soft drink or whatever, be a man and drink it straight.

Oh, woops. I do tend to mix spirits with spirits, or ... One that I've found to be most potent, beer with whiskey. It tastes quite nice too.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm 

I seriously think Scotland is for whiskey what Belgium is for beer. Other countries may try, but they'll never get even close to the level, so making other kinds of bewerages is a better idea overall.

Laphroiag, Lagavulin, Talisker, older Glengoynes, Scapa and Isle of Yura are all good choices. On the more effordable end of the spectrum, Bowmore and a few other work wonders. So far I haven't found an irish whiskey or a Bourbon I'd really enjoy, and those tend to end up in Irish Coffee in our household. Japanse brands seem to get nice reviews, so I'd be interested in trying them.

Lately I've been preferring the "cask strength" editions, especially Laphroiag. At 56.7 % AVB it's not meant to be drunk straight but with a dash of water, but the marvellous flavoured burning is a really enjoyable feeling, so I drink it straight. I've tried a couple of other cask strength whiskeys, but Laphroiag is the best one.

And the worst whiskey ever is Captain Black. Seriously. It smells like a permanent marker pen, it tastes like a permament marker pen, and it gives you a headache before the glass is half-way through. The fact that it's made in Jordania by a state owned factory might have something to do with this, of course. Truly foul stuff, and probably made of heavy crude oil or possibly fermented camels with nuclear AIDS.

Earthcubed wrote:
You guys would probably like Samuel Adams Utopia; between 40 and 50 proof (20% abv to 25% abv, I shit you not---and it's still beer) and it's aged in bourbon barrels. I'm just saying, though; never had it myself (not sold here :(). Just saying there's fine beer out there that can match most whiskeys in priceyness/classiness. Most, of course. Highly unlikely you will ever find the beer equivalent to a $400 bottle of single-malt, of course, though I have seen a $35 single bottle of 12-ounce beer before.

It would be interesting to know how they have fooled the system there. Most yeasts can get a beer up to 18%, best "normal" strains up to 21%, and to go beyond that, it's either bacteria, some extremely rare strains of special yeasts, or some other methods that essentially mean it's not beer. Perhaps they used the ice beer method and froze and removed some of the water, which is not criminal in puristic sense. If they used anything like distilling or adding stronger stuff, the end result is not officially beer any more.

I'd try it, of course, if someone else took care of the financial matters. :)

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:44 pm 

Napero wrote:
I seriously think Scotland is for whiskey what Belgium is for beer. Other countries may try, but they'll never get even close to the level, so making other kinds of bewerages is a better idea overall.

Laphroiag, Lagavulin, Talisker, older Glengoynes, Scapa and Isle of Yura are all good choices. On the more effordable end of the spectrum, Bowmore and a few other work wonders. So far I haven't found an irish whiskey or a Bourbon I'd really enjoy, and those tend to end up in Irish Coffee in our household. Japanse brands seem to get nice reviews, so I'd be interested in trying them.

I agree that Scotland seems to be the place to go for great whiskies. There are some bourbons I feel are worth the while, such as George T. Stagg (at a stunning 70% ABV) or Elijah Craig 18 Year Old. I also like a good Canadian rye whisky from time to time, but generally speaking I most enjoy a good scotch.

The Japanese whiskies that I've tried are from Nikka and some distillery that starts with an H. Nikka has a great "Peaty & Salty" whisky worth trying. It's at nearly 60% ABV if I remember right and definitely needs the drop of water to open things up.

Quote:
Lately I've been preferring the "cask strength" editions, especially Laphroiag. At 56.7 % AVB it's not meant to be drunk straight but with a dash of water, but the marvellous flavoured burning is a really enjoyable feeling, so I drink it straight. I've tried a couple of other cask strength whiskeys, but Laphroiag is the best one.

I haven't tried a Laphroiag cask strength, but boy do I want to. I've found most cask strengths do benefit from the single drop of water which seems to open up the flavors and improve the aroma. Most. Not all.

I also wish someone would take care of the financial part of trying whisky.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2