Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 pm 

Today I noticed a Wikipedia article on speed metal. A lot of it was unsourced, so somebody deleted most of it, and now it has less than what I think would be a basic amount of information on said Metal subgenre.
I added a few brief lines to it, but I'm hoping somebody here who knows more about speed metal than me could help expand it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Metal

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 pm 

I once got banned from wikipedia for 'vandalizing' the article on "New wave of american heavy metal".

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 pm 

Kutulu wrote:
I once got banned from wikipedia for 'vandalizing' the article on "New wave of american heavy metal".

Hehe... that's wonderful.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:45 am 

I use wikipedia pretty much every day, not for music reference though.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:12 am 

I made (and still do most of the maintenance for) this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senmuth
Hehe, foreskins.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:24 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
I use wikipedia pretty much every day, not for music reference though.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:05 am 

I have an account but only use it for adding stuff in the discussion; I am not involved in any editting of the articles. Have done this two or three times over the course of several months... so I rarely use the account.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:18 am 

That's pretty sad it got deleted, because it was a really good article, true, there was a few bands and things that could have been added, but it was really good. Someone must have taken some time to write that, and before that good one, there was some pretty bad article which included a lot of thrash.

Motörhead did indeed play some speed metal and their name means "speedfreak", although it's really a reference to the drug speed, and not all their stuff was speed metal, some of it was more grinding, which led to them influencing grindcore. Lemmy's voice is also not typical of speed metal, it usually has higher pitched vocals. Although newer, Exciter are a very important band in this genre, and the song "Fast as a Shark" by Accept should also be mentioned. I'm not really sure how to source this, even the official websites don't have a lot of info. You might want to look through interviews, but it's tedious.

I don't write to Wikipedia. I noticed earlier someone had tried to perpetrate a fraud or whatever they call it by implying the Exploited were Nazis, providing some quotes (which you couldn't read online anyways) from some book. I am glad they erased that, but I don't see why the article on speed metal got erased, it was probably some idiot who insisted that thrash metal is speed metal and couldn't take it. I don't really know how it works, maybe you can write them and say someone "vandalized" the earlier article or something.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 am 

Quote:
Also according to Allmusic, speed metal eventually toned down its intense tempos and evolved into thrash metal.

:durr:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:59 pm 

Most accurate corrections I have made to Wikipedia articles were reverted, there are trolls on the site who won't let anyone touch their pet articles. I will occasionally add articles on notable bands that don't have an article, or add releases that have yet been added, but there are again trolls who will mark articles for deletion because they don't like the band's record company, or style, or some other irrelevant reason.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:48 pm 

Now, if any of you want a wonderful alternative to wikipedia, that is essentially a wikipedia parody, go here: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:21 pm 

diabolikon wrote:
Now, if any of you want a wonderful alternative to wikipedia, that is essentially a wikipedia parody, go here: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Better yet, there's Encyclopedia Dramatica. Then again, I don't go there anymore. Last time I went, I got a virus. ;_;

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:38 pm 

ED was mildly entertaining when I first became a /b/tard. Then later I realised that that spouting memes at people wasn't funny and I stopped reading ED.
Hehe, foreskins.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:44 pm 

Crick wrote:
ED was mildly entertaining when I first became a /b/tard. Then later I realised that that spouting memes at people wasn't funny and I stopped reading ED.

ED's articles on people are hilarious.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 am 

Who doesn't use wikipedia?
I bet even the teachers in school who don't allow it for sources and whatnot even use it!

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Quote:
Also according to Allmusic, speed metal eventually toned down its intense tempos and evolved into thrash metal.

The Hessians consider speed to be thrash, and thrash to be crossover.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 am 

I am AlanZhan, but the only article I have been actively involved in is the Megadeth one. Me and a couple other people got the Hard rock tag taken off, but apparently it's back.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:20 am 

If I want the general gist of a topic I use wikipedia, but if I am doing research I will not even go near wiki and end up trawling through the most boring journal articles you could ever imagine. Scientists may be smart, but most of us really need to learn how to write an article that doesn't induce the spooning out of the eyes

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:42 am 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
I bet even the teachers in school who don't allow it for sources and whatnot even use it!

The problem with wikipedia is that pupils tend to copy and paste an article and hand it in as their whole 'assignment'. One source is never enough.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 pm 

I find that Wikipedia seems to have a handful of "editors" who elevate their self-importance about any given topic to ridiculous levels and become "information tyrants", as if they're the sole judge of what is useful or relevant information on any given topic.

A lot of the writing on Wikipedia is pretty awful, particularly on band entries.

It has some uses for a quick overview of a given subject, but it's far from the main source of information on the internet. More like "facts for dummies by dummies"

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:23 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
MaliciousAwesome wrote:

The problem with wikipedia is that pupils tend to copy and paste an article and hand it in as their whole 'assignment'. One source is never enough.

the c/p syndrom is not limited to Wikipedia...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

OMGItsEvy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:52 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
MaliciousAwesome wrote:

I can understand if people use the external links and type what they've researched in their own words; however, c/p articles word for word is by far the dumbest thing anyone could ever do. Especially, when someone never uses archaic words.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:03 am 

AlbertMond wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Better yet, there's Encyclopedia Dramatica. Then again, I don't go there anymore. Last time I went, I got a virus. ;_;

Yeah, but Encyclopedia Dramatica is lame. Uncyclopedia is much more in your face, and if I'm not mistaken, the page was banned from New Zealand for instigating corruption and overall bad behavior among the inhabitants. Not sure about it, but if it is true, man, that's cool.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:07 am 

Nochielo wrote:
AlbertMond wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

Yeah, but Encyclopedia Dramatica is lame. Uncyclopedia is much more in your face, and if I'm not mistaken, the page was banned from New Zealand for instigating corruption and overall bad behavior among the inhabitants. Not sure about it, but if it is true, man, that's cool.

I'm guessing you got this information from Uncyclopedia.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:43 am 

AlbertMond wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
AlbertMond wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

I got it from Wikipedia. It does sound strange. I'll check it out again.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 am 

I only learned yesterday that there was a Star Wars version of this site called Wookiepaedia.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 am 

Uncyclopedia is better because it doesn't have any 4chan bullshit like Encyclopedia Dramatica does.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 am 

AlbertMond wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
AlbertMond wrote:
diabolikon wrote:

They were pulling my leg last time. It's still similar, but it's not banned. Check this out, straight from Wikipedia (and a few more controversies):

In May 2006, The New Zealand Herald reported on school officials, including the headmaster of King's College, stating that Uncyclopedia and Bebo were "cyber bullying menace[s]". This was prompted by one Epsom Girls' Grammar School student's name and cellular phone number, along with an offensive message, being posted to Uncyclopedia without her knowledge. The individual in question stated that students commonly added full names and photographs to their own pages, drawing concern from several schooling establishments.[34] The report contributed to the imposition and reworking of the website's vanity and cyberbullying policies, which were only loosely enforced beforehand.[35][36][37] Uncyclopedia has also been criticised for racist humor and general hatefulness,[38][39] but Huang claims that racist articles are pulled.[40]

The article on The Lake District was criticised in June 2007 as being offensive by councillors and tourism bosses, who called for stricter regulations on the site. The story was reported in British local newspaper the North-West Evening Mail,[41] but no policy changes were made as a result of this. In fact, the publicity generated by the issue prompted the Lake District article to be featured on Uncyclopedia's main page.[42] In a similar incident in November 2007, Uncyclopedia's article on Northern Ireland was criticised by Northern Irish politician James McCarry who branded the site "disgraceful" and vowed to, along with help from Moyle Council, "get it removed". The article is still on the site. Ardoyne councillor Conor Maskey and Portadown News creator Newton Emerson opposed McCarry, saying people should be more relaxed about the website. This story was reported in The Belfast Telegraph.[43]

A similar incident occurred in April 2008, when civic leaders of Telford, Shropshire, UK lashed out at an article calling the town “a world leader in the production and reproduction and re-reproduction of Chavs”.[44] Another article, this time about the Shropshire county town of Shrewsbury says the town is only famous for being the birthplace of Charles Darwin, and includes insults towards the residents describing them as monkeys who have evolved into sheep.[45]

In January 2008, the Malaysian Internal Security Ministry issued a directive alerting newspaper editors not to trust Uncyclopedia. It said the article concerning Malaysia contained "untruths, insults and ridicule" and was demeaning to the country.[46][12] Uncyclopedia's users found this statement more humorous than serious, and subsequently parodied the directive in an UnNews article.[47][48]

The site uses a similar layout to Wikipedia[49] which may cause confusion to inexperienced users, by mistaking the content as factual.[50][51]

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 pm 

diabolikon wrote:

Yeah in it is in almost evry language that wikipedia is.
:lol:
I totally love their pages about metal, thras, black, metalica.
Fucking hillarious!!!

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:13 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Quote:

So according to Wikipedia Motorhead is faster than Exodus?

o_O

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:36 am 

Nochielo wrote:
A similar incident occurred in April 2008, when civic leaders of Telford, Shropshire, UK lashed out at an article calling the town “a world leader in the production and reproduction and re-reproduction of Chavs”.[44] Another article, this time about the Shropshire county town of Shrewsbury says the town is only famous for being the birthplace of Charles Darwin, and includes insults towards the residents describing them as monkeys who have evolved into sheep.[45]

Whoah. I never knew Uncyclopedia had true material.
Nochielo wrote:
In January 2008, the Malaysian Internal Security Ministry issued a directive alerting newspaper editors not to trust Uncyclopedia. It said the article concerning Malaysia contained "untruths, insults and ridicule" and was demeaning to the country.[46][12] Uncyclopedia's users found this statement more humorous than serious, and subsequently parodied the directive in an UnNews article.[47][48]

Lol. Those Malaysians. Ever heard the Malay language? Pretty retarded.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.