Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:25 pm 

I got a Absu - Tara CD a few days ago. But it cannot be played in my computer CD-rom. It seems that the CD is a little thicker than the others. I can be read with my portable CD player, but loading time is bit longer than usual. The CD is made in E.U. Does anyone here have the same problem with the Tara CD? Thanks!!

Imret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 am 

I just dug out my copy of Tara and tried it on three different cd players I own, with no problems. I have not tried it on my computer's cdrom, as it is having issues at the moment =/

-WhiskeyRebel

PlanetPieface
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am 

It was made in a factory that used a different formatting than an average cd drive.

yfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 am 

PlanetPieface wrote:
It was made in a factory that used a different formatting than an average cd drive.

So it's probably a pirate CD?

PlanetPieface
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 am 

yfg wrote:
PlanetPieface wrote:

Yes.

yfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 am 

PlanetPieface wrote:
yfg wrote:
PlanetPieface wrote:

Yes.

Thanks!!

The_Beholder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:45 am 

I have the same problem with my copy of Angelcorpse's "Hammer of Gods" (the '99 re-release I think), which was also released by Osmose. I can't play it on any PC's CD-ROM drive, but plays ok on every normal CD player.
Haven't checked the thickness as you say. Nor I haven't tried on my new laptop, but I don't think it'll work.

Where did you bought it? I don't think it's a bootleg but rather a shitty factory chosen by Osmose at that time.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 am 

The_Beholder wrote:
I have the same problem with my copy of Angelcorpse's "Hammer of Gods" (the '99 re-release I think), which was also released by Osmose. I can't play it on any PC's CD-ROM drive, but plays ok on every normal CD player.
Haven't checked the thickness as you say. Nor I haven't tried on my new laptop, but I don't think it'll work.

Where did you bought it? I don't think it's a bootleg but rather a shitty factory chosen by Osmose at that time.

Same thing has happened with a multitude of my CDs, including said Angel Corpse CD, "Life is Killing Me" by Type O Negative, and "Drudenhaus" by Anorexia Nervosa. I can't explain the phenomenon, but shitty factories sounds like a plausible excuse.

Pallando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:37 am 

yfg wrote:
I got a Absu - Tara CD a few days ago. But it cannot be played in my computer CD-rom. It seems that the CD is a little thicker than the others. I can be read with my portable CD player, but loading time is bit longer than usual. The CD is made in E.U. Does anyone here have the same problem with the Tara CD? Thanks!!
Osmose had some shitty copy-protection agenda around that time. Many copies of Immortal's At the Heart of Winter are the same.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:48 am 

That explains most of my predicaments. But, what can be said about "Life is Killing Me", a Roadrunner release?

Dismal_Deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:53 am 

Same also. My copy of 'Tara' won't play on any PC, as well as my copies of 'Frost' and 'Monumension' by Enslaved. So aye, perhaps like someone mentioned, something to do with Osmose trying to prevent copying etc.

yfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 pm 

Dismal_Deity wrote:
Same also. My copy of 'Tara' won't play on any PC, as well as my copies of 'Frost' and 'Monumension' by Enslaved. So aye, perhaps like someone mentioned, something to do with Osmose trying to prevent copying etc.

Thanks everyone!!! Now I could explain why the CD cannot be played on my PC. And the long loading time of my portable CD player is because the player had a multifunctional CD player. Many thanks!!!

Btw, I bought my Tara CD from an online mailorder shop which concentrates on the second hand CDs. I didn't think they don't have ability to tell which CD is bootleg.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.