Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
travisvid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 am 

I want buy a steren tool to repair, clean or polish some of my collection rare CDs to survive over the years in most perfect condition as is possible, there lot of scratches and other things, I try each process in a example CD and this works good!, but I don't know... what is your suggestions guys?

Is the second time I want to get another one, because my friend stole me the other one...

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 am 

All those machines do is cover your discs in little scratches. All you need to keep CDs clean is a lint-free cloth - the type used for cleaning eyeglasses or TV screens are perfect for this - and some isopropyl alcohol. Spray with isopropyl, wipe centre-to-edge across whatever muck is on the disc, and that's it. Seriously, don't bother with cleaning machines, they're just a scam designed purely to make some asshole money.

wrathchild_88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:18 am 

If you want it your CDs to look better, I guess one of those things would help in the illusion of the CD looking new(ish) if there's some quite big scratches. But if they're scratched to the point of skipping or not working properly, then they are unlikely to be able to fix that. But if they're just dirty then take chaossphere's advice.

I mean I haven't read up on these machines, but presumably all they do is grind down the plastic to the level of the scratches so that it's smooth again. That'll only work so many times or with scratches so deep. I've had a couple of PS2 games that I took to some game shop to try and fix the scratches and they still didn't work.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 am 

Resurfacing a CD is something I'd only do as a last resort... they look awful. Really bad in terms of aesthetics. Not something you should just do for the hell of it... blowing on the CD is all it usually takes to get dust of... Keeping them clean and protected is as simple as only handling the edges and always keeping them either in the case or in the CD player tray.

You should only buff (scuff) the surface with one of those if the CD is too scratched to read.

Also, I'd suggest just using Brasso and a lint-free cloth to resurface a CD if you're intent on doing it... It works just as well, and the results are just as ugly, but it's also cheaper than buying some kit to spin the disc around for you.

Reply to topic