Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:47 pm 

I smoke a pack a day of Marlboro reds. What do you smoke?

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:35 pm 

I quit smoking back in February, but my go-to was always Peter Jackson Smooth (Now known as John Player Plus Smooth).

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:09 pm 

I've never heard of that brand.

I'm trying to reduce my smoking to less than a pack a day now. I don't think I can give up nicotine completely.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 pm 

It was a pretty brutal 3 or 4 days cold turkey, but after the 4th day it was a lot easier. For me, at least. I believe that brand is mostly a Canadian brand.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:15 pm 

MiamiJustice wrote:
I've never heard of that brand.

I'm trying to reduce my smoking to less than a pack a day now. I don't think I can give up nicotine completely.

Same here, there are times when I can resist smoking for a couple of hours, and then there are times when I think "I can't see myself not smoking in a situation like this" (like closing all my tabs after a hard day of work)

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm 

Quit some 1,5 years ago. Been eating nicotine gum ever since. Believe me, it's worth it, though sometimes it feels that it's not. The addiction just never completely goes away. I used to smoke North State, mostly.

MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 pm 

Nicotine gum is too expensive for me and the taste doesn’t last. I used to live off of it when I quit before several years back.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:36 pm 

I used to smoke a lot, my go to were Belmonts. I liked De Maurier a lot too.

But I remember my dad's black teeth and I didn't want my mouth to be gross so I cut it. Switched over to juuls, which I hear are still bad for your health but at least my mouth is fine.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:37 pm 

I rarely if ever smoke anymore (if I get the craving I may end up smoking the equivalent of a pack every couple of years or so), but I just about always smoked either Unfiltered Camels or Lucky Strikes

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 pm 

Last time I smoked a cigarette was just before COVID hit. I was shitfaced at the bars with a homie. He snagged one off a friend that worked at one of the places we frequent. We split it, finished our beers, then went to his place. When we got there I threw up.

Nicotine always has been really hard for me to consume. I tried it all- cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco. And I have a vomit story or two for each one. Thank god, wouldn't want to get hooked on that stuff, pretty telling that literally every post has been about people trying to cut down or how they have cut down.

I did like American Spirits though back in the day. Didn't smoke them a lot, but maybe like once a week if that when I went to community college.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:33 am 

Used to, quit a few years ago*. When I did it was usually Camel Blue (people who were around before the law forced the name change would correct me and say they were "Camel Lights", and my go-to joke was "Come on that's false advertising, they weigh exactly the same", nyuk nyuk). That was mostly because they were cheaper than my actual favorite, which was American Spirit (either the yellow or the black, depending on how stressed I was).

* - Asterisk because I just switched to vaping, which I'm well aware is infinitely douchier and will probably still give me lung cancer, but at least I smell like cherries instead of an ashtray now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:01 am 

Smoking is weird. When you're in the grip of the addiction, it's hard to imagine a satisfying life without it. But when you're not, you wonder how people even want to do that*

When I used to smoke, I mostly smoked rolls. Whatever was locally available to where I was at the time, but past favourites were a rum, and a green tea blend.

* The stink being a big part of it, point to Bastardhead

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:18 am 

In the worst of my teenage years (meaning, 1-2 years ago), I used to smoke in my room and put the butts in glasses of water as they were less messy than the ashtrays I had. The room would stink of damp, burnt tobacco, infused with god-knows-what kind of chemicals. I only stopped when one day I woke up with slight pain in my chest when breathing in. Some people of course are immune to the effects ("my grandpa smoked a pack a day and lived to 90!"), but at that point I didn't want to take the risk if I was one of those guys or not. I've stopped smoking since July 2019, and I miss exactly nothing about it.

What nicotine basically does, I realized, is that it scoops out a part of your inner peace, and replaces it with a strong desire to smoke. It convinces you that only a cigarette will restore that inner peace, and only then you can relax. It's a tricky thing to quit, but after a few weeks cold turkey that need basically disappears and you're left wondering why the hell did you like it in the first place.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 pm 

I smoked from 16 to 30, and was at least a pack a day from 19 until I quit. Took on vaping and weaned myself off nicotine entirely earlier this year and haven't touched it since my son was born in March.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:10 pm 

I need cigarettes to survive. I really was adamant about quitting, but then it hit me that I have to get back on cigarettes when all I would do on my free time was watch mortal kombat playthroughs over and over again.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 pm 

I dunno man, given the choice I'd pick Mortal Kombat every time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:38 pm 

Feel the wrath of shao khan ;)

I am actually on nicotine gum now, nicorette brand 4 mg. Let's hope this works, because I actually am quitting cigarettes since I last posted this. I can't stand them anymore.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:08 am 

The anti-smoking view from the people in my life seriously has got to stop. It is real annoying for me at this time.

My parents constantly are on me really bad to quit despite the fact one of them still light up and despite the fact that I just started up again not too long ago after not smoking for a long time. Almost ten years. And those years ago I wasn't smoking all that much anyway. The hypocrisy is not good.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:03 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Quit some 1,5 years ago. Been eating nicotine gum ever since. Believe me, it's worth it, though sometimes it feels that it's not. The addiction just never completely goes away. I used to smoke North State, mostly.

Well, I've started to smoke again like year ago, mostly because some shit happened in life. It's an eternal battle, but I've decided not to worry about it for a while. Just loving the smoke + coffee combination now. It's just unbeatable.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:39 am 

I wish I'd never started smoking in the first place. I haven't drink in over three months but I just can't seem to even start thinking about quitting cigarette right now. I'll have to do it at some point though because this is a bad fucking habit and I've been addicted to it since way too long. Like the poster above me, cigarettes and coffee are part of my daily routine and now I can't even enjoy a coffee without smoking. Well... I'm probably doomed since my mother smokes, my grandmother did and my father too when he was still alive.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:09 pm 

I smoked from 2007 til 2018. After a few days out in the desert at a post-apocalyptic festival (Wasteland Weekend), my lungs were so full of dirt and tobacco/tar that I just couldn't think about cigarettes again for a while. I bought a vape, and then after it broke a month later, never fixed it. Things were good.

Then, 2 years later, I joined a death metal band in Fredericksburg, VA. All four of the guys smoked, and I eventually started wanting them again. I picked it back up in social situations - mostly out drinking. It's been back in my life since.

I stopped myself from opening a new pack this last Saturday night, though. I don't have any open packs, and I'm thinking it might be time to knock it the fuck off again.

Camels were always my favorite. I started with Wides, then fell in live with Crush Bolds, and then settled for Crush when the Bolds went away. Whenever I felt like saving money, I'd buy Natives from the rez smoke shop near my home town. I've got two cartons of those right now, which I will hopefully just end up selling (unless I fall back into my wicked ways this upcoming weekend, which is always a high possibility).

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:44 pm 

I smoke occasionally. Viceroy Reds and Pine Blues (bootleg brand from India) are my go-tos.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:00 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:
I've decided not to worry about it for a while. Just loving the smoke + coffee combination now. It's just unbeatable.

That's the right attitude, don't force yourself into things you don't really want to do. The desire to quit is there, just wait until it naturally flourishes again.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:29 am 

Smoked on and off since I was 19, longest I went without one was I think five months, most was at festivals like brutal assault where they're dirt cheap and would smoke 2-3 packs of camels a day. In regular life usually like 10 at the most, I don't see how people who work in say an office would even have time to smoke 20+ a day.

I moved to vaping in August and now only smoke if I'm drinking and I'm offered one, so probably less than 10 in that time. Eventually I want to move off the vape as well, it's even more addictive for me as I don't even need to stand up and go outside to use it, can just use it semi-constantly when working from home on the sofa. Vaping is ridiculously cheap in comparison to cigarettes as well. I turn 30 in June and want to quit that as well around then, I can tell it's doing me no good, combined with my massive weight gain over the pandemic I'm definitely getting breathing and sinus problems, if I quit soon I can hopefully avoid serious long term problems, I'll get some of the lowest strength nicotine ones once I'm out of the 11% ones I have then wean myself off. I don't get any buzz whatsoever from nicotine now so it's not even like it's helping me with reading or anything.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:49 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:
I've decided not to worry about it for a while. Just loving the smoke + coffee combination now. It's just unbeatable.

That's the right attitude, don't force yourself into things you don't really want to do. The desire to quit is there, just wait until it naturally flourishes again.

The desire usually rises when throat starts to hurt and wheeze. But no symptoms yet. I like to think my jogging hobby helps in that regard. At least it feels like that.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:03 am 

I dabble. Winfield blues, pack every three days. I smoke when i'm working up north- feel no desire to when I'm home, the wife not liking it a big part.

Everyone else smokes up north which makes it hard and idk.. I really enjoy it! For me, it's either enjoy it, or quit, don't sit in the middle having a dart and feeling bad. When I stop enjoying it, i'll throw it away.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:59 pm 

I smoked fairly frequently from December 2019 to around November 2020, mainly out of boredom. I haven't smoked since but when I did, there were 3 types I usually had, Richmond Blue, Al Capone cigarillos, and these menthol cigarettes that taste like ass. The Al Capone ones were the nicest.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:36 pm 

I have a little D&R Three Sails and Peter Stokkebye Turkish 84 rolling tobacco around for the couple of times a week I feel like a cigarette. I used to work in tobacco shops when I was younger (as in, real tobacconists that sold cigars and pipes). I've tried A LOT of cigarettes. I miss the various Turkish brands the most. No, not Camels and the other American combinations that claimed they were Turkish tobaccos. Actual Turkish cigarettes have wonderful flavor.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:55 pm 

I'm a smoker, at the moment its concurrent with my alcoholism, and the worst part is the shit is way harder to give up for me than booze, I withdrawal from alcohol and I get to a point I don't wanna drink, but cigarettes aren't like that, I get really bad craves sometimes, and I go back and forth about smoking, but I cave in mostly because I get obsessed over relieving the withdrawals, it's just insanely physically satisfying when you're really craving, I'm currently trying to stop drinking, I gave up my ID to my family because I don't have a car and I used to walk an hour round trip to the nearest gas station just to buy the cheapest alcohol I could find, I'm 6 days off that shit, mostly got tired of feeling like shit was crawling on me after I go on week long drinking and drugging benders, and it just gets to a point where its not fun.

Regarding cigarettes I smoke Newports when I first started I like marb reds and light blue American spirits, currently I alternate between Newport and Marlboro menthol blacks because sometimes in my area the Newports get packed badly and burn like utter shit

I smoke a pack a day every day I also smoke to not eat as much so that's another reason it's hard to quit, but I probably smoke less than I use to I know several times Ive smoked 3 packs in a day just all drugged out on adderall and shit

Smoking with a coffee or like a monster, something with tons of caffeine is always tits tho, it feels fucking great lol, as much as I'm really addicted to smoking I still actually like doing it, it's inherently satisfying

Perhaps.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:13 am 

What I found helpful for withdrawals was rolling cigarettes with green tea instead of tobacco. It works, nicotine likes to make you think you like the taste, the act and the image of smoking, so when I did that without actually putting more nicotine in my body I felt some level of psychological satisfaction, admittedly not as strong as with actual tobacco. Still as the nicotine leaves your body you eventually stop feeling the need to smoke.

I used to smoke a pack of Camel per day. Smoking was nice while it lasted but I'm just as content without them. However I would consider rolling up some more green tea just to hang out with colleagues at campus, 80% of which are smokers lol.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:30 pm 

I smoked from 16 to 30, was at least a pack a day from 19 to 30. I switched to vaping and then weaned myself off that, to the point where I was only doing it for flavor and oral fixation for about a year (0% nicotine), and quit altogether when my son was born in 2020.

Picked smoking back up over that summer (after 4 years of no cigarettes) because holy shit the stress of being a new dad and the sole financial provider of the household was driving me insane, quit again by Halloween. Picked it back up last summer, but only at work, and then quit again by grabbing a Vuse. I'm currently working my way back down to nothing again. Gum (not even nicotine) helps, for damn sure.

My top 10 cigarettes, in order:
1. Marlboro Blend No. 27
2. Camel Turkish Gold
3. L&M red
4. Marlboro red
5. Camel Light
6. Midnight Dreams
7. American Spirit blue
8. Camel Filter
9. Marlboro Light
10. Pall Mall red

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:13 am 

I smoked for a few years back in the mid-90s during high school, basically your typical smoking in the school bathroom as an act of defiance routine, though I did develop a taste for Newport Menthols for a while. I don't think I ever became addicted to them though since I never smoked more than 5 a day, and usually it was in social situations after band practice or hanging out with friends after school. I basically stopped cold when I started university classes as nobody I knew there smoked and it no longer functioned as an act of rebellion, not to mention I was later diagnosed with asthma and didn't want to take a chance on having an attack.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:20 am 

Not a smoker, but I do have something I'd like to add to the discussion. What do you guys think of the current trend towards vapes and marijuana, and away from cigarettes? It seems like every other person at my high school vaped or smoked weed, but they never seemed to consider any negative effects. If you asked them if they'd ever smoke cigarettes, they'd say something like "no, cigarettes are gross". Always seemed weird to me how cigs have been stigmatized as disgusting cancer sticks, but teens are still okay with taking hits of even more nicotine-concentrated vapes.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:36 pm 

I haven’t smoked a cigarette since 2010. If I were addicted to nicotine, I would just smoke cigarettes. I hate that artificial fruit flavor vaporizer crap. I’ve never done it. I’ve used such devices to inhale cannabis and hashish, and that’s it. That fruity nicotine crap is the worst!

I’d rather be surrounded by secondhand cigarette smoke, than that garbage, I don’t know how anyone can like that shit! It smells horrible! I do not buy the ‘gateway drug’ argument for it, because, the first time I did nicotine, it was cigarettes. Just like how the first alcohol I drank, was red table wine, not sugary nonsense. You couldn’t pay me to touch awful vaporizer garbage.

I liked camel Turkish royal cigarettes, or American spirits. Always full flavor, never light flavor. I smoked a cigar once, and inhaled one hit of it. It was pretty cool. I felt like a hangover, the next day.

I don’t do tobacco anymore. The health consequences just aren’t worth it.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:46 pm 

I started when I was 11, I go from brand to brand. I don't smoke cigs much anymore, I've taken up vaping.

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:16 am 

I smoke cigarettes, but also dip tobacco. Have since the age of 17. Not the best habit in the worse, but stress relieving at the same time. I'm absolutely addicted and never plan on quiting. At least for now. I quit drinking because I no longer enjoy being drunk or even the taste of alcohol too. Tobacco prices are what really bothers ne at the moment. As the government's path towards a great recession is coming closer abd closer.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:05 am 

In the army, a bit.
Clean since 2010.
Quit.
Rejoin my soul with thine

Last edited by Eternal Unity on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:41 am 

I did some "party smoking" for a few years, until I got diagnosed with diabetes and my doctor told me that smoking would make every possible complication 100x worse if I smoked, so I haven't smoked in years.

Regarding weed, I personally can't stand the smell. Worse than normal cigarettes.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:04 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
I stopped myself from opening a new pack this last Saturday night, though. I don't have any open packs, and I'm thinking it might be time to knock it the fuck off again.

Well, I didn't knock it the fuck off last April like I was hoping I might when I posted this.

However, I did knock it off at the end of August, and I haven't had or wanted one since. Great success!

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:53 am 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
I did some "party smoking" for a few years, until I got diagnosed with diabetes and my doctor told me that smoking would make every possible complication 100x worse if I smoked, so I haven't smoked in years.

Regarding weed, I personally can't stand the smell. Worse than normal cigarettes.

Cigaweed. friends of mine smoked it 4 years ago, I sat with them, was tempted, but stood my ground. Smell is awful.
Rejoin my soul with thine

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next