Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Luisangel91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:04 am 

First of all, I do not know if it is valid to talk about other music websites. If that is the case, I will understand if this thread gets locked. However, I would like to read your thoughts on this particular website.

Basically, although some of you have probably heard of it, it is a site where you can rate music and films, create all sorts of favorite album/film lists and read or write music/film reviews, among other things. I want to focus on music, though. I created an account there not so long ago, and at first glance, the website strikes me as being a very useful tool for discussing and discovering music in a wide variety of genres; you can find just about any band in their huge database. There are also very knowledgeable users who have been listening to music for many years, whose profiles are usually full of great album lists. However, something that I have noticed is that there is also an enormous amount of young people (usually under 25 years old) with a large number of album ratings who seem to also pass off as "very knowledgeable" users, which is something I find hard to believe as their age certainly does not match their number of album ratings and general knowledge in music. Either they have been tediously listening to a huge amount of music in a short period of time or they have just rated music they have not even listened to in its entirety. Be that as it may, they are just users I cannot take seriously. I do not see the point of listening to too much music if, in the end, I am not enjoying it. I see music as a passion and hobby, and not as a chore. Yet, this aura of competition exists among younger users. All in all, I still think the website is great.

Feel free to add something new and share your thoughts on what you think about the website as a whole. You can recommend other similar websites as well. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Luisangel91 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:10 am 

I usually use a similar site for music only called AOTY, Album Of The Year. They even have some metal (Ghost BC and Pallbeare). It just updates you on the latest releases and has the industry ratings from the hipster sites like Spin and Pitchfor. I explore some updates from the site on new releases, mainly indie rock and and such.

Luisangel91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:26 am 

Yahko wrote:
I usually use a similar site for music only called AOTY, Album Of The Year. They even have some metal (Ghost BC and Pallbeare). It just updates you on the latest releases and has the industry ratings from the hipster sites like Spin and Pitchfor. I explore some updates from the site on new releases, mainly indie rock and and such.

I do not think I have browsed it. I might have to take a look at it just to see what it is all about.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:44 am 

The ratings system is skewed in two ways. Well known things are rated based on popularity and obscure things are rated based on the opinions of too small a sample group (which tend to skew high because people usually only bother to rate obscure things that are their favorites). It doesn't have the balance MA has of higher review quality standards off-setting the small sample size when calculating ratings. The community is somewhere between discogs and shreddit...
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Luisangel91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:57 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The ratings system is skewed in two ways. Well known things are rated based on popularity and obscure things are rated based on the opinions of too small a sample group (which tend to skew high because people usually only bother to rate obscure things that are their favorites). It doesn't have the balance MA has of higher review quality standards off-setting the small sample size when calculating ratings. The community is somewhere between discogs and shreddit...

Yeah, I get what you mean. There are some great reviewers on the site, but generally people don't bother to elaborate on their writings and just submit short sentences.

wharton
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:56 am 

I remember there was similar site I made an account though I don't recall the name of site anymore. I like listening to different kinds of music. I do not know to compose either good in criticizing music. What I've notice is that there are people there that they made good music even at young age. However, lets say 12 songs in one album. Not all those 12 songs can be good. As a listener, if I like 8 out 12 songs. I would only give my opinion on those 8 songs that I like and don't mind on 4 songs that I don't like.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:56 am 

It has some incredible lists by autothrall. If you ever feel like you have some holes in your shelf when it comes to Swedish death metal/ Norwegian black metal/ gothic stuff/ whatever, it's all there, categorized and painstakingly indexed. I started making a list or two myself but got bored, it isn't a thrilling website to use so much respect to autothrall's dedication, as usual.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:13 am 

I like RYM as just yet another starting point for my musical explorations. The broader community might not be that great, but you can still find great individual users and lists.

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

Luisangel91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 am 

wharton wrote:
I remember there was similar site I made an account though I don't recall the name of site anymore. I like listening to different kinds of music. I do not know to compose either good in criticizing music. What I've notice is that there are people there that they made good music even at young age. However, lets say 12 songs in one album. Not all those 12 songs can be good. As a listener, if I like 8 out 12 songs. I would only give my opinion on those 8 songs that I like and don't mind on 4 songs that I don't like.

Yeah, I found a couple of those in this website. They tend to have their own music projects which, I suppose, they themselves have added to the database. Usually I don't check them out, though.

sushiman wrote:
It has some incredible lists by autothrall. If you ever feel like you have some holes in your shelf when it comes to Swedish death metal/ Norwegian black metal/ gothic stuff/ whatever, it's all there, categorized and painstakingly indexed. I started making a list or two myself but got bored, it isn't a thrilling website to use so much respect to autothrall's dedication, as usual.

I haven't seen his account, but it sounds interesting. I've come across many metal album lists that are worth taking a look at, mainly by some seasoned metalheads. But, then again, there are these younger users that I mentioned before that seem to only listen to so much music in order to make album lists and compete against others. I just use the site to rate my own music and find new stuff, I do not really make any lists.

CardsOfWar wrote:
I like RYM as just yet another starting point for my musical explorations. The broader community might not be that great, but you can still find great individual users and lists.

One of the first reasons why I joined the site was to fully explore other music genres, which I have done, and you can virtually find experts in different genres who have been into music for many years. There is, for instance, this user called Diction, who has a huge catalog of hip hop albums since the beginnings of the genre, and has been listening to hip hop for about 18 years. His knowledge of the genre is astonishing. Those are the users I personally respect. But then there are these younger users that are a joke.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:08 am 

I'm an user, and I find it a really good vehicle to find new music in any genre, be it metal or not. The lists aren't really that useful for me, the gold is in the charts.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:05 pm 

Lists are only as useful as the list maker in any instance. The exact medium of RYM doesn't affect that at all. RYM fails as a medium in not having enough quality control over user submitted information: ratings, reviews, discussion, etc. The community is allowed to suck, so it does.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Luisangel91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:51 pm 

I am not really involved in the community; just a few interactions with some users here and there. But mostly I utilize it as a means of archiving what I have listened to so far. I don't see the point of making any lists (considering there are a lot of them already, some are great and others are just pointless), and if I did they would probably be personal rather than for others to see, just to keep track of my music. In any case, it has been very useful for me as far as discovering new music goes.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:04 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Lists are only as useful as the list maker in any instance. The exact medium of RYM doesn't affect that at all. RYM fails as a medium in not having enough quality control over user submitted information: ratings, reviews, discussion, etc. The community is allowed to suck, so it does.

There are policies for reviews and ratings, of course, dunno where you got that from.

The genre discussion in the queues are also great, lots of information.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Reply to topic