Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:00 am 

Mass Effect had amazing music. Mass Effect 2 had really great themes that played at specific parts. Every piece of music that plays between going through the Omega Relay and the credits rolling is absolutely fantastic. Even stuff like Omega's theme, Jack's mission and Grunt's loyalty mission had fantastic music. Mass Effect 3 had a larger emphasis on the synths like the first game, mixing in the more orchestral, booming sounds from 2. Also, there was a shitload of reused music from Mass Effect which just felt weird.

DD, Clint Mansell was originally said to compose the entire game, but he ended up doing the main theme, which is good, but a huge departure for the universe. The people who did the rest of the music also worked on 2 and it's DLCs, (Sam Hulick, Sascha Dikiciyan and Cris Velasco).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 am 

Dunno if anyone really cares, but I just wanted to say that Bloodborne has more or less taken over my life the last week. I can't believe I hated it... I was ready to smash the thing, upload a video of me burning the disc to youtube, etc... but now I am completely sucked in. It's still fucking hard, but I can manage it now. I've worked out how the game goes and what to expect (to an extent) - that first area I think was just purely designed to weed out non-hackers. Definitely going to get Dark Souls at some point.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:31 am 

I try not to compare ME1 with its sequels because it feels like a completely different game for me, even when it comes to the soundtrack. The music in ME1 was largely used to describe the various locations, like for example the sense of majesty and wonder at the Citadel and the Presidium, the shady businesses going on in the Wards, the deadness of some of the planets (Therum and a few others), the corporate corruption going on in Noveria (the music there reminds me a lot of Deus Ex), and so on and so forth. There's so much focus on the locations that it left us with only one recurring (and badass) character theme, which is Saren's. This is evident when you compare the track titles for ME1 with the ones for ME2. Having said that, I don't have a problem with the quality of any of the tracks, but I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit to being annoyed by the TUUT. TUUT. TUUT. TUUT. C-sec music every time I took the elevator down to that place. Every. Goddamn. Motherfucking. Time. Holy fuck, can we get the Virmire track in here just this once pls pls pls? :cry: Again, it's not the music that's necessarily bad, it's just that the lack of variation when you have to go to that place for X number of errands can be stroke-worthy. It makes it reach a point where it would start sounding like the beeping of an EKG machine.

ME2 avoided that problem by generally not using music when you're not on a mission (I refer back to dd's notion of cycling the music on/off, except here the game does that for you).

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:56 pm 

Turner wrote:
Dunno if anyone really cares, but I just wanted to say that Bloodborne has more or less taken over my life the last week. I can't believe I hated it... I was ready to smash the thing, upload a video of me burning the disc to youtube, etc... but now I am completely sucked in. It's still fucking hard, but I can manage it now. I've worked out how the game goes and what to expect (to an extent) - that first area I think was just purely designed to weed out non-hackers. Definitely going to get Dark Souls at some point.

The transformation is complete!

*evil laughter and thunder*

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:51 pm 

Turner wrote:

Nice! Whatever happens, don't give up. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 pm 

Fucking LOL
http://home.woot.com/plus/steam-summer-sale
(Screenshot in case it's taken down:)
Spoiler: show

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:38 am 

How appropriate for a steamer to deliver such a sick burn.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:10 am 

I'm not sure who posted this article here a few years back, but I keep coming back to it every time a "big" new title is about to hit shelves and it proves to be 100% correct every goddamned time. So whoever did, I thank you: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KrisGraf ... Auto_V.php
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:36 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I'm not sure who posted this article here a few years back, but I keep coming back to it every time a "big" new title is about to hit shelves and it proves to be 100% correct every goddamned time. So whoever did, I thank you: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KrisGraf ... Auto_V.php

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Who could it have been? ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:12 am 

Ahhh, I thought it might have been you but wasn't 100% sure.

The 'hype bubble' is one of the few ways in which video games differ significantly from other forms of popular entertainment. You'd be hard pressed to find people who wildly declare "X movie, despite it not coming out for at least 5 more months, will definitely be Movie of the Year." Yet how frequently was the marketing term "GOTY" bandied around months--if not years--before the release of GTAV or TW3? And what about the fanboys attacking reviewers who deigned to give GTAV a lowly 9/10 before they even played it themselves?

The only film corollary I can think of were all the death threats critics received on RottenTomatoes for giving The Dark Knight Rises anything below a perfect score, despite TDKR not even being out yet. God, what a bunch of fools they must've felt like. Hopefully.

Otherwise though, this "hype culture" crap seems to be almost exclusive to video games. Anyone have any idea for why exactly that is?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:20 am 

Also: Apple products.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 am 

Guess I'm a little late to the ME-series soundtrack discussion, but the main Suicide Mission theme is my favorite track from any game soundtrack ever. The ambient/dub fan in me really liked the background music in the Noveria hub too.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:19 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Ahhh, I thought it might have been you but wasn't 100% sure.

The 'hype bubble' is one of the few ways in which video games differ significantly from other forms of popular entertainment. You'd be hard pressed to find people who wildly declare "X movie, despite it not coming out for at least 5 more months, will definitely be Movie of the Year." Yet how frequently was the marketing term "GOTY" bandied around months--if not years--before the release of GTAV or TW3? And what about the fanboys attacking reviewers who deigned to give GTAV a lowly 9/10 before they even played it themselves?

The only film corollary I can think of were all the death threats critics received on RottenTomatoes for giving The Dark Knight Rises anything below a perfect score, despite TDKR not even being out yet. God, what a bunch of fools they must've felt like. Hopefully.

Otherwise though, this "hype culture" crap seems to be almost exclusive to video games. Anyone have any idea for why exactly that is?

Because the total investment in video games is higher. $60 for the game and a few hundred for the system, whereas a movie ticket is around ten bucks. People need to put more effort into convincing themselves that the purchase was worth it.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:35 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

The Dark Knight Rises deserved less than perfect scores. It was the worst of the trilogy, but still a good movie. Like Dark Souls 2 is the worst of the Souls series but still awesome!

Yeah fanboys are dumb as all hell to complain about GTAV getting less than perfect scores when they haven't touched it. I didn't like the single player campaign story. It sucked. That's enough to dock it some points.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:26 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
Because the total investment in video games is higher. $60 for the game and a few hundred for the system, whereas a movie ticket is around ten bucks. People need to put more effort into convincing themselves that the purchase was worth it.

It's not just that. "Gamer" is a much stronger identity than "film buff." While filmgoers may feel very protective of certain IPs (Star Wars being the obvious example), gamers in general are much more possessive of the gaming industry at large. There's also a much stronger "us vs. them" attitude among gamers - either you're a gamer and you "get it" or you're a noob who doesn't deserve to have opinions on games, much less write anything about them.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:38 pm 

Bought the new Need for Speed yesterday... bit of a disappointment. It's very pretty, and the driving is actually pretty fun, but there's too much fast and the furious culture crap going on. It doesn't have that feel those first few NfS games had back on my old pentium, haha. Seems it's all about racing for "respect points" that you can spend on getting mad decals and paint jobs. Boy racer-fodder.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:22 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
I didn't like the single player campaign story. It sucked. That's enough to dock it some points.

^The heist/robbery story was better than the actual game you start as, I wanted to play through that story first, but then I'm some unlikeable boring street crim involved in a crooked deal? Stuck on some lame boring mission of stealth. I wanted to shoot people and blow shit up, not tip toe to avoid being seen by a person. Incredibly undeserving of the glowing reviews it received.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:33 pm 

Most modern racing games seem so bland. Sonic All-Star racing was a great take on the Mario Kart formula for PC, (and so was Blur, except the port sux hard), Pure was great fun, Burnout Paradise was alright and I'm still waiting for a good price for Trackmania 2. But on PC that's almost all we've got as far as worthwhile arcadey racing games unconcerned with useless realism go, whereas there seems to be a never ending stream of new "Boring Rally Simulator 2015"s and "Sports Car Fetishist GTR"s clogging up Steam sales. I don't want to learn the subtleties of manual gear shifting. Reality is super lame, particularly regarding motorized vehicles. I want to go over ramps at 500 km/h and shoot heat seeking missiles at my noob friends while splitscreening.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:53 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Yeah fanboys are dumb as all hell to complain about GTAV getting less than perfect scores when they haven't touched it. I didn't like the single player campaign story. It sucked. That's enough to dock it some points.

Anybody complaining about scores in a sweeping, overarching fashion ("fanboy" or not) is dumb as hell because reviews SHOULD be used to find a reviewer you generally agree with and a reviewer who you don't always agree with. That way you can weigh your personal interest against both and see if the game is a good fit for you.

Regardless, Grand Theft Auto V is a godsend after the tragic piece of garbage IV was. God that game sucked all sorts of shit. I'm glad they learned to inject the fun back into Grand Theft Auto. And yeah, story has never been Rockstar's strong-suit. They get a couple of ideas they want to play around with but don't really develop a traditional story "arc" to make it work within. Max Payne 3 suffered the same problem.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:19 pm 

So Vaati's been accused of plagiarism again: http://kotaku.com/plagiarism-accusations-shake-up-dark-souls-community-1716528025.

Never liked this guy and his videos are sooooo boring.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:33 pm 

Holy Jesus fucking Christ I hate youtube.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:58 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Most modern racing games seem so bland. Sonic All-Star racing was a great take on the Mario Kart formula for PC, (and so was Blur, except the port sux hard), Pure was great fun, Burnout Paradise was alright and I'm still waiting for a good price for Trackmania 2. But on PC that's almost all we've got as far as worthwhile arcadey racing games unconcerned with useless realism go, whereas there seems to be a never ending stream of new "Boring Rally Simulator 2015"s and "Sports Car Fetishist GTR"s clogging up Steam sales. I don't want to learn the subtleties of manual gear shifting. Reality is super lame, particularly regarding motorized vehicles. I want to go over ramps at 500 km/h and shoot heat seeking missiles at my noob friends while splitscreening.

Haha, nailed it. I have one of the Trackmania games (Valley) and it's super-dumb, but super-fun. About 3-4 years ago a mate of mine bought a steering wheel setup that looked like the inside of a car, and a copy of V8 Supercars (probably wasn't a hit outside AUS/NZ... or inside). Bored me to tears but he was obsessed with it. I also want super-cool sceneries. I don't want a carbon copy of an actual racetrack in Adelaide.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:12 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Holy Jesus fucking Christ I hate youtube.

YT is perfectly fine, once you learn to filter out anything that is actually said there. However:
Kotaku, about Vaati, wrote:
“(...) he’s earning $5,569.41 per month through Patreon donations.”

What. I mean..... Fucking hell, I thought sport stars and big name actors were overpaid. This guy is making drug kingpin levels of cash by speculating on video game lore. Holy shit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:40 am 

You think that's bad? PewDiePie is literally a millionaire and all he does is scream over himself playing.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:41 am 

Yeah, it's insane how much you can make with YouTube. GameGrumps, The Game Theorists, even CGPGrey all have ridiculous amounts of revenue from streaming and making videos.

And, understandably, it can be addictive to watch.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:48 am 

Derigin wrote:
Yeah, it's insane how much you can make with YouTube. GameGrumps, The Game Theorists, even CGPGrey all have ridiculous amounts of revenue from streaming and making videos.

And, understandably, it can be addictive to watch.

Except don't most of them make money from ad revenue? Vaati's money is all donations (which is just absurd).

I just feel bad for the guy that wrote 'The Paleblood Hunt'; prose-wise it's garbage but in terms of analysis and interpretation it's pretty amazing. I'd be devastated if I poured so much time and effort into something like that only to see it stolen and monetized by some douchebag YouTuber.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:51 am 

Morrigan wrote:
You think that's bad? PewDiePie is literally a millionaire and all he does is scream over himself playing.

Oh, but that guy doesn't count. He's not a content creator so much as a self-aware, brain cell-murdering, cash-devouring disease.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:48 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Oh, but that guy doesn't count. He's not a content creator so much as a self-aware, brain cell-murdering, cash-devouring disease.

Someone has a bone to pick. I don't like Pewdiepie, but the guy did raise 1Mil of charity last year. All he does is a persona, sure it is an annoying persona but at least he recognizes that all he does is just scream at video games.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:54 am 

Alright, what I said was a bit too harsh, yes. Charity or not, though, in a just and caring world, people wouldn't become millionaires by screeching over video game footage.

Although, all things considered, maybe that speaks more about the audience than anything.....

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:59 am 

I have a sort of small saying that is a modification of an existing one: "Money is wasted on the rich", among millionaires there is Trump, the Nestlé guy who thinks that humanity has no right to water, and Pewdiepie.

He speaks to a specific group, and really, if you watch any Q&A panel for big youtubers, from gamers like Game Grumps and Markiplier to just general bloggers or people at Vidcon, those people are the height of creepy, obsessive behavior and socially awkwardness.

Edit: well that would be the vocal majority and stuff. But then again. The type of socially awkward people, from watching thosetype of videos, sort of believe that they are closer to these people then they actually are.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Last edited by PDS on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 am 

PDS wrote:
Money is wasted on the rich

Warren Buffett and Bill Gates would like a word.

Last edited by captain_che on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:03 am 

It's too annoying to always say "Money is wasted on the rich with a couple exceptions of the philanthropists, NASA heads ext"

Gates, buffet and that Saudi prince are a minority

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:07 am 

PDS wrote:
Gates, buffet and that Saudi prince are a minority

Strongly disagree.

But anyway, this:

Xlxlx wrote:
Alright, what I said was a bit too harsh, yes. Charity or not, though, in a just and caring world, people wouldn't become millionaires by screeching over video game footage.

Although, all things considered, maybe that speaks more about the audience than anything.....

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:14 am 

I'm almost finishing AC Black Flag on my PS4 and am looking for another game to play. I have Unity laying around here but I don't think I want to play another AC game right after Black Flag. So any recommendations? I'm looking for an RPG. Haven't played/finished any RPG's for ages before Black Flag. Was always playing COD but I'm getting a bit sick of that.
The Witcher 3 looks really nice, but it's fairly new and so it's still a bit pricey.
Bloodborne looks great too and can be found cheaper but every review tells it's quite hard and I'm not a hardcore gamer. In the past I haven't finished games because of it being difficult and frustrating. But I don't know how persistent I am now.

Any other recs? preferably cheap but if a newer game is way better I'm willing to pay more.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:27 am 

Turner wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Haha, nailed it. I have one of the Trackmania games (Valley) and it's super-dumb, but super-fun. About 3-4 years ago a mate of mine bought a steering wheel setup that looked like the inside of a car, and a copy of V8 Supercars (probably wasn't a hit outside AUS/NZ... or inside). Bored me to tears but he was obsessed with it. I also want super-cool sceneries. I don't want a carbon copy of an actual racetrack in Adelaide.

I think in general most racing games suck ass unless you can wreck your opponent but I'd play the hell outta Power Drive 2000:

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:03 am 

That DOES look pretty cool. Perhaps it goes a *bit* too far with the retro thing, but still looks fun and just like a whole heap of driving. No having to collect respect points you can trade in for energy drink decals you can put on your car for the paul walker memorial drift rally

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:16 am 

Jasper92 wrote:
I'm almost finishing AC Black Flag on my PS4 and am looking for another game to play. I have Unity laying around here but I don't think I want to play another AC game right after Black Flag. So any recommendations? I'm looking for an RPG. Haven't played/finished any RPG's for ages before Black Flag. Was always playing COD but I'm getting a bit sick of that.
The Witcher 3 looks really nice, but it's fairly new and so it's still a bit pricey.
Bloodborne looks great too and can be found cheaper but every review tells it's quite hard and I'm not a hardcore gamer. In the past I haven't finished games because of it being difficult and frustrating. But I don't know how persistent I am now.

Any other recs? preferably cheap but if a newer game is way better I'm willing to pay more.

If you're looking for an RPG, there's pretty much only Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, and Witcher 3 right now. I mean you also have Lords of the Fallen and Bound by Flame and they're likely cheaper, but they're quite mediocre, I'd recommend you pay a bit more and get yourself a quality game instead. These two are not worth bothering with unless you've already exhausted every other option and are still starving for an action-RPG or something.

Oh, I guess there's Dragon Age Inquisition and Diablo 3 if you're into that? Diablo 3 is the opposite of hard, and from what little I saw of DA:I (thanks to Kahalachan's shareplay) even on Hard it seems brain-dead easy. If you prefer the JRPG style, maybe Child of Light or Pier Solar?

I'd suggest you just git gud and play Bloodborne or Dark Souls 2 of course. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:08 pm 

It's upsetting that the absolute hardest difficulty of games today is the rough equivalent of "Normal" from games just a half-decade ago. DA:I (Nightmare), W3 (Death March), Watch Dogs (Realistic), Risen 3 (Ultra) etc. were all buckets of fun on these settings, but anything below that was just... boring. Even worse are the games that DON'T have difficulty settings, so you're forced to play the GTAs and every AC game on either idiot-mode or not at all. FROM games seem truly anomalous in this respect, as triple A games that provide a decent challenge on a single 'default' difficulty.

FWIW, DA:I on Nightmare with Friendly Fire on was by no means "brain-dead easy" at all. It's also, from what I can tell at least, the cheapest AAA PS4 RPG/RPG-like game right now (Bloodborne and SotFS are $40 new on Amazon, while DA:I is $30; not sure how the prices in the Netherlands would be, though). Though it is true that unlike DA:O and DA2, BioWare programmed DA:I to be a button masher on anything below its highest difficulty.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:17 pm 

Thanks, I'm leaning the most towards Witcher right now. But I may pick up Bloodborne because it's cheaper and just take up the challenge.

What I like about Black Flag is that you don't continually have to work on the story mode. There are a lot of side things going on and things to discover/complete and explore besides the main story. Which one of the two has this the most?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:28 pm 

I haven't played TW3 but I'm sure it's got tons of sidequests, it's an Open-World AAA Game (tm) after all. However, Bloodborne is like, roughly 50% optional content and 50% "mandatory" content as well. Once you beat the first boss (or second, but there's also an optional first boss, depends which you find first I guess), you have several options, it's semi-linear. Progression in Bloodborne is less like Open-World AAA Game (tm) and more like, Zelda or Metroid I guess. It's not story driven though, the story is minimalist and is pretty much a puzzle you need to piece together from tidbits of lore from the NPCs and item descriptions, just like the Souls series. So in a sense the story is optional too, haha. If you want something with a more "traditional" kind of narrative, TW3 or DA:I are probably more suited for you.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713 ... 940  Next