Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:51 am 

Stalker Complete is all you need. I can't even fathom playing both this one and Clear Sky without it. The third game really doesn't need it, though, as it's pretty well polished as it is.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
Despite the fact I record a fair amount of various gameplay, I'm surprised I never uploaded Demon's Souls in HD. That has since been rectified. Here's my spellsword build playing the Valley of Defilement, since the archdemon there is my favorite boss fight.

The diarrhea level in HD! Why do you like those bosses? lol

Entered NG+ on my new run. Got all the rings. I always hate killing NPC's in these haha, never doing that again... Got Fake Allant on my second try which was awesome. Still one of my favorite bosses in the whole series. The Blue Dragon probably killed me more this time actually. I think last time I just sucked it up and shot 1000 arrows at him to take him down, but I didn't want to do that this time. Still was a pain in the ass being just about purely STR melee focused though, so both my dex and magic were worthless against him. Just had to get by and hope to take down Allant.

I did get the Northern Regalia, but some of my stats aren't high enough to use it right now. Does the additional magic damage add up to making it better than a maxed Crushing Claymore?

Right now I'm going to focus on getting INT to 18 or 24 to have fun with magic finally. What exactly is the Magic stat? Does it boost both Int/Faith?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:48 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Stalker Complete is all you need. I can't even fathom playing both this one and Clear Sky without it. The third game really doesn't need it, though, as it's pretty well polished as it is.

I'll check it out, thanks! I'm open for more recs if any of you has any.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:56 am 

Complete has always sounded like the best one to me. I had to play vanilla Stalker myself since it was on my old rig that couldn't do much, still was an amazing experience. So I'll have to replay it with Complete someday.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:13 pm 

Just be aware that (most) side quests in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl are 100% optional and just give basic supplies as rewards. Usually you'll just get surplus ammo or some food or medkits or something - useful, but not "thanks for killing those monsters for me! here's a unique awesome gun you can't get any other way!" type shit. Don't feel like you're missing out if you skip some.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:48 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
That's what I did just now. Got me 3 AAA games for $20. Pretty nice deal. Get on this while it lasts this weekend.

What games did you get?

Quote:
Despite the fact I record a fair amount of various gameplay, I'm surprised I never uploaded Demon's Souls in HD. That has since been rectified. Here's my spellsword build playing the Valley of Defilement, since the archdemon there is my favorite boss fight.

5-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrqxGqnmwr0

5-2 (found a blue phantom there so yay!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd77OSBZ5rQ

5-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcXJ87ryQcc

5-2 revisited for story purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9XlvBt1ySE

Awww should have gone with Firestorm to OHKO the bosses, for maximum laughs ;)

Xeogred wrote:
The diarrhea level in HD! Why do you like those bosses? lol
He said archdemon, so he was referring specially to Maiden Astraea. Not hard to see why she'd be his favourite boss, she's by far one of the most interesting and memorable encounter.

Quote:
Entered NG+ on my new run. Got all the rings. I always hate killing NPC's in these haha, never doing that again... Got Fake Allant on my second try which was awesome. Still one of my favorite bosses in the whole series. The Blue Dragon probably killed me more this time actually. I think last time I just sucked it up and shot 1000 arrows at him to take him down, but I didn't want to do that this time. Still was a pain in the ass being just about purely STR melee focused though, so both my dex and magic were worthless against him. Just had to get by and hope to take down Allant.

I did get the Northern Regalia, but some of my stats aren't high enough to use it right now. Does the additional magic damage add up to making it better than a maxed Crushing Claymore?

Right now I'm going to focus on getting INT to 18 or 24 to have fun with magic finally. What exactly is the Magic stat? Does it boost both Int/Faith?

Magic uh... boosts your magic power. Unlike in Dark Souls, intelligence doesn't do that, INT only increases your maximum MP and spell slots (basically INT became Attunement, and Magic became INT). The higher your magic stat, the stronger your offensive spells (as well as Magic Weapon and Light Weapon, but not Curse Weapon) will be.

Northern Regalia won't be too useful on a STR build, unless you encounter some annoying troll that spams Warding in PvP, but that appears unlikely. A Crushing Claymore with Curse Weapon will be stronger and have more reach at 40-50 STR. NR is strongest when you're at pure Character Tendency (pure white or pure black) and it's best used on a VIT gouging build. On a pure STR build I wouldn't waste the points to use it, anyway.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:52 pm 

I HAVE NO EVIDENCE

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:57 pm 

That's what confused me a little with Magic, INT, and Faith, etc. That clears that up. I did get Curse Weapon, excited to use that when I can.

failsafeman wrote:
Just be aware that (most) side quests in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl are 100% optional and just give basic supplies as rewards. Usually you'll just get surplus ammo or some food or medkits or something - useful, but not "thanks for killing those monsters for me! here's a unique awesome gun you can't get any other way!" type shit. Don't feel like you're missing out if you skip some.

Haha yeah I was stacked when I finally decided to be done with them and run through the rest of the game. They are definitely mostly pointless, but it's a decent excuse to explore more of the world and get some rewards. I wonder how quick the game can be just running through the story.

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:02 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I HAVE NO EVIDENCE

What an earth are you babbling about, dear? Throw him back into the peanut gallery, I say!

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:38 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Kahalachan wrote:
That's what I did just now. Got me 3 AAA games for $20. Pretty nice deal. Get on this while it lasts this weekend.

What games did you get?

Quote:

5-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrqxGqnmwr0

5-2 (found a blue phantom there so yay!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd77OSBZ5rQ

5-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcXJ87ryQcc

5-2 revisited for story purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9XlvBt1ySE

Awww should have gone with Firestorm to OHKO the bosses, for maximum laughs ;)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's cut because they actually improved the boss fights so stealth and hacking works if you upgrade that route. And it has some DLC and NG+ and other good stuff.

So I sold my copy of Deus Ex for the improved version.

I also sold Borderlands 2 and Tomb Raider to Gamestop and got the digital versions. It's nice to not have to swap out discs and easily play them if I want.

So Deus Ex is the only new game I got, sorta. So based on the amount I spent and what I sold, I pretty much spent $10 extra for the Director's cut of Deus Ex.

And yeah firestorm would've been funny but since this video is for show, might as well let people see what the bosses do :P

Edit:

Morrigan wrote:
NR is strongest when you're at pure Character Tendency (pure white or pure black) and it's best used on a VIT gouging build. On a pure STR build I wouldn't waste the points to use it, anyway.

Also to add, the only other build I can think of using the Northern Regalia would be one that specializes in the Blueblood sword. You don't want to waste too many points on luck, which is where the sword gets its scaling, so the only other weapon that will be as damaging, with a fair amount of stats already spent on luck, would be the Northern Regalia with pure character tendency.

My Blueblood sword character has the NR as backup.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:35 pm 

One thing I don't get about Demon's is how the stats level sometimes... is it dependent on your soul level or something? IE, for whatever reason one time STR isn't going to go up any points, but if you boost another stat then look at STR again, it'll go up that next time. If that even makes sense. Seems funky.

NG+ isn't a joke.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 pm 

Depends on your equipped weapon since it shows by how much your weapon attack rating increases. Diminishing returns after 40 STR, though still decent at 50 but it really tapers off after 50.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:35 am 

Gastjale wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
I HAVE NO EVIDENCE

What an earth are you babbling about, dear? Throw him back into the peanut gallery, I say!

:lol: Morrigan triggered the word filter and I quoted it for future reference but she edited both her post and mine because she's a big meanie!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:40 am 

But you have no evidence, you even admitted it yourself!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:22 am 

I don't know what I'm talking about, but I do know that Morrigan is the bestest evar, wait, why are you looking at my posts?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 am 

:lol: I imagine it was the "for maximum laughs" line? Ahahaha.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 pm 

Damn :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is some Orwellian shit right here. Hilarious.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am 

Guys,

I would like you could recommend me some video games for pc. RPG like NWN or stuff like that would be awesome - not to play online exclusively; just to kill some time playing the story mode but if it has the online feature, the better. Shooters like the ol' Quake 3 are also welcome and more gory/dark rpg like ol' Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Heavy Rain would be nice as well.

I have a win8 laptop with i7, 12gb ram, Geforce GT 650M 2GB.

Thanks in advance!

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 am 

Kotaro Uchikoshi messaged me on Facebook :) He wrote and directed 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I pretty much told him that my gf got me 999 and Zero Escape for Christmas and I am really enjoying the games and if the third one comes out I'll get it.

He said "Thank you for the message! It looks like you have wonderful great awesome cleverest girlfriend. Please take care of her. ;)"

999 was really good. Each different ending gives you new insight on all the characters, with the good ending obviously giving the most information. It was easily replayable with allowing you to skip what you already played.

Zero Escape has nicer graphics and voice acting but so far I do think 999 has the better story and characters. I haven't gotten far in Zero Escape yet.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:02 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I would like you could recommend me some video games for pc. RPG like NWN or stuff like that would be awesome - not to play online exclusively; just to kill some time playing the story mode but if it has the online feature, the better. Shooters like the ol' Quake 3 are also welcome and more gory/dark rpg like ol' Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Heavy Rain would be nice as well.

Hm, Borderlands has kinda Quake-ish fps gameplay and light RPG elements. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are gory and occasionally dark RPGs with fps aspects, but they don't have online play. Neither do the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games but you should play them anyways for their atmosphere alone. Bioshock is another shooter-RPG mix. So much for rather obvious answers.

Also of the last three games you mention none is an RPG... :???:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:43 am 

Decided to play "Darkest Hour: '44-45'" last night and was pleasantly surprised. An incredibly small, but open community filled mostly with old dudes playing hella real simulators...but yeah, very cool.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 am 

So Grim Fandango came out on Steam today. Soon as I get some cashola, I'm buying that bad-boy. Will be nice to replace my jewelcase version, and not have to use ResidualVM.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
gory/dark rpg like ol' Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Heavy Rain

Paging Shutdown...

Speaking of RPGs, uh... Dragon's Dogma Online was announced. And I'm bitterly disappointed.

The pros:
- Plays like Dragon's Dogma
- World/setting/story is all new
- 4 player party max (has AI pawn if you want to solo)
- Has big updates planned, world starts out as big as expected and will get up to 3x bigger eventually
- Character creation is apparently more extensive (!!!)

And now for the very very bad:
- No plans for Western release at this moment (though to be fair the game *just* got announced)
- Cross-gen on PS3/PS4 (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy) (oh and also PC)
- MMO
- F2P

............Yeah. Not like this, Capcom. Not. Like. This. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:55 am 

Disappointing, but not surprising, considering Capcom's tendency to molest their own franchises. Blegh.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Kotaro Uchikoshi messaged me on Facebook :) He wrote and directed 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I pretty much told him that my gf got me 999 and Zero Escape for Christmas and I am really enjoying the games and if the third one comes out I'll get it.

He said "Thank you for the message! It looks like you have wonderful great awesome cleverest girlfriend. Please take care of her. ;)"

999 was really good. Each different ending gives you new insight on all the characters, with the good ending obviously giving the most information. It was easily replayable with allowing you to skip what you already played.

Zero Escape has nicer graphics and voice acting but so far I do think 999 has the better story and characters. I haven't gotten far in Zero Escape yet.

I found Virtue's Last Reward to be way, way better than 999, even though 999 was already an excellent visual novel. The 'good' ending in Virtue's Last Reward also gives you a lot of info, as well as leading nicely into the third game in the series.

...WHICH WILL HAPPEN, RIGHT, KOTARO UCHIKOSHI?! RIGHT?!? :grr:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:52 pm 

Double post

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:53 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Hm, Borderlands has kinda Quake-ish fps gameplay and light RPG elements. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are gory and occasionally dark RPGs with fps aspects, but they don't have online play. Neither do the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games but you should play them anyways for their atmosphere alone. Bioshock is another shooter-RPG mix. So much for rather obvious answers.

Also of the last three games you mention none is an RPG... :???:

Not only rpgs but also something where a sort of linear story is told and you follow it, do quest and stuff. To me rpg would be NWN or Baldurs Gate, but stuff like Final Fantasy also fits IMO.

I had ps3 and well, liked Borderlands, Heavy Rain, Prototype, Darkstalkers, Uncharted, MGS4, GoW Fallout, Red Deth Redemption and such (liked xbox Alan Wake as well) . Was looking something else. Thanks!!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:23 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
So Grim Fandango came out on Steam today. Soon as I get some cashola, I'm buying that bad-boy. Will be nice to replace my jewelcase version, and not have to use ResidualVM.

Yeah, I'm super stoked! But I couldn't figure out why the first video I watched about it on GOG had so many dislikes. Unhappy an already perfect game even needed to be remastered at all? Perhaps angered that the game wasn't released freely for those who bought the boxed copy for $50 in 1998? Oh, or maybe it was because the already flawless soundtrack was needlessly re-recorded with a full orchestra this time, paid for with money that could've been spent improving other elements of the game (like the slightly underwhelming cutscenes)?

Nope.

It's because of #GamerGaffe.

Holy fucking shit people.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:38 pm 

I'm pretty excited about Grim Fandango. Man, the nostalgia! While I'm at it I might also finally get that re-mastered version of Myst, relieve all the memories.

I did make the mistake of scrolling down to see the comments on that video - ergh. Then again, YouTube comments... I don't know why I still scroll down. I wonder if there's a way to create an add-on for Chrome that somehow prevents you from seeing them. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:47 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Nope.

It's because of #GamerGaffe.

Holy fucking shit people.

Why did I click this video and read the comments?

Why, why, why do I do this?

*headdesk*

Calusari wrote:
I did make the mistake of scrolling down to see the comments on that video - ergh. Then again, YouTube comments... I don't know why I still scroll down. I wonder if there's a way to create an add-on for Chrome that somehow prevents you from seeing them. :lol:
Pretty sure there is such an add-on, and I'm really bloody close to installing it. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 pm 

Quote:
they don't have online play. Neither do the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games

I have to correct myself, SoC does have multiplayer. Tried it once, it's okay I guess, but it's a very minor part of the game and I suspect the servers aren't very well populated now. I'm not sure if the other two games have multiplayer at all.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:50 pm 

Calusari wrote:

Morrigan wrote:
Pretty sure there is such an add-on, and I'm really bloody close to installing it. :nono:

There sort of is! Try here and here.

The latter is especially hilarious.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm 

Oh, my word - yes! I've got to try those. Especially the latter - reminds me of one that was making the rounds in Australia a while ago, which replaced any images of our repugnant Prime Minister with pics of cute cats. :lol:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I found Virtue's Last Reward to be way, way better than 999, even though 999 was already an excellent visual novel. The 'good' ending in Virtue's Last Reward also gives you a lot of info, as well as leading nicely into the third game in the series.

...WHICH WILL HAPPEN, RIGHT, KOTARO UCHIKOSHI?! RIGHT?!? :grr:

So far I like it less. The stupid bunny's voice is annoying and the animal puns are bad. 999 had some bad writing with some dumb metaphors like "blood like spaghetti sauce" or something like that but it doesn't grate on me like Virtue's Last Reward.

Another issue I had with 999 is Lotus is supposed to be an older woman but certainly doesn't look like it.

Spoiler: show

It's like fan service trumps realism in depicting a middle aged dancer. No problems depicting Ace like a middle aged dude, but god forbid they make Lotus look like anything over 20. It's especially bad when another character jokes about how old she looks before she talks about her personal life. The player has no idea what they're talking about.

Zero Escape is nice in having more complex puzzles and improved graphics and user interface. I think they gave themselves liberty in having harder puzzles because of the in-game note pad feature, not to mention the 3DS also has a note pad. I also like how it caters to people wanting varying difficulties. The default is on hard and you can change it to easy, with that choice only being for that particular puzzle and the game reverts back to hard. If you want to advance the story the option is there for you, but why not try your best first?

In a way, both games have the same appeal as Catherine. A good story that you can alter based on your choices with the gameplay segments featuring puzzles. This seems to be something Japan does well as opposed to what the West offers like Heavy Rain. There's nothing wrong with little gameplay and lots of story, but don't pretend that interacting with controls to put on make up or brush your teeth counts as gameplay.

I think this genre should blossom more.

Morrigan wrote:
Speaking of RPGs, uh... Dragon's Dogma Online was announced. And I'm bitterly disappointed.

The pros:
- Plays like Dragon's Dogma
- World/setting/story is all new
- 4 player party max (has AI pawn if you want to solo)
- Has big updates planned, world starts out as big as expected and will get up to 3x bigger eventually
- Character creation is apparently more extensive (!!!)

And now for the very very bad:
- No plans for Western release at this moment (though to be fair the game *just* got announced)
- Cross-gen on PS3/PS4 (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy) (oh and also PC)
- MMO
- F2P

............Yeah. Not like this, Capcom. Not. Like. This. :(

Oh god if Monster Hunter 4 is a bad game, Capcom has officially ruined all its franchises. Dragon's Dogma should've gone in the direction of being a darker and more serious Monster Hunter, but this makes me :(

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
So far I like it less. The stupid bunny's voice is annoying and the animal puns are bad. 999 had some bad writing with some dumb metaphors like "blood like spaghetti sauce" or something like that but it doesn't grate on me like Virtue's Last Reward.

Well, if it makes you happy, you're not stuck with the rabbit and his puns. After the first branching path's puzzle room, he says he's told you everything you need to know and then he fucks off. He's only around for the two hours or so of the story, and it took me ~45 hours to complete it, so...lotta gametime without him.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:52 pm 

I'd be willing to pay at least $100 for DD:DA on the PC. And that's really saying something because I famously don't really like: Capcom, Japanese... most things (aside from the people, of course) and console ports that would probably necessitate playing it on a controller. The combat looks just completely amazing, the world huge and detailed and handcrafted and I even dig the art design for the most part.

I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck'n play an F2P MMO, tho. So sad :( .

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm 

Even for someone who plays F2P MMOs (although these days it's only one, really), this is a really disappointing announcement. I was hoping to eventually be able to try that game on PC, given the great things I've heard about it - even if it meant getting a controller (which I should finally get around to anyway) but making it an MMO like this... :grumble:

While on RPGs - a new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer is up. (Well, they're calling it that, though it features as many cut scenes and cinematic parts as gameplay moments.) Parts of it look amazingly intriguing, parts of it bug me in a way I can't quite put my finger on... I don't know. It's still my most anticipated game of the year, but I'm apprehensive, too.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:39 pm 

Anyone excited about Capcom stuff right now obviously hasn't seen how insanely bad Revelations 2 looks. I thought the first was terrible and this looks somehow worse and 8 years dated already. Capcom's stuff early last gen looked ahead of its time and some stuff was awesome (was a big fan of Lost Planet), but it's about the complete opposite now. Revelations 2 looks embarrassingly bad to me.

Anyways, is Planetside 2 good? Been kind of curious about that one.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 am 

Kahalachan wrote:

In a way, both games have the same appeal as Catherine. A good story that you can alter based on your choices with the gameplay segments featuring puzzles. This seems to be something Japan does well as opposed to what the West offers like Heavy Rain. There's nothing wrong with little gameplay and lots of story, but don't pretend that interacting with controls to put on make up or brush your teeth counts as gameplay.

But let's not pretend that games like Heavy Rain are exhaustive of the puzzle-adventure output of "The West" either. I tried 999 about a year ago for a few hours or so and liked the puzzles, but the sadistic anime horror story didn't much appeal to me and I'm not keen on games requiring multiple playthroughs to get the full story either. Still, I'll give it another go some time since it seems to be well-regarded.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 am 

Calusari wrote:
Parts of it look amazingly intriguing, parts of it bug me in a way I can't quite put my finger on... I don't know. It's still my most anticipated game of the year, but I'm apprehensive, too.

I feel the same way. I think I've been hyping it up in my head for so long, that the hype plus the repeated delays is making me really apprehensive. Usually when I get too hyped about something it ends up being a disappointment, but it's also the fact that everything I've read about the game so far has a massive 'this is too good to be true' vibe about it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661 ... 940  Next