Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:12 pm 

Welllll I got pretty burnt out on D3 a while back and haven't really been playing many games since then. Basically the problems with D3's endgame are:

1) A lack of interesting builds. Basically the only endgame-viable builds are centered around the handful of sets, and there's not really much flexibility at all outside of those. Really limits play options
2) A ridiculous curve in terms of gear/character progression at endgame. Basically the whole game you feel like you're constantly getting more powerful, which is neat, then when you hit the level cap and start adding on Paragon levels you don't notice how tiiiiiny those upgrades are because at that point you're doing things like completing armor sets and getting insane new bonuses that skyrocket your character's power at the level cap. But once your set is complete, the only meaningful upgrades are getting better rolls on your items or trying to get Ancient versions of them, which are just a bit better. Doing this is an extremely tedious grind.
3) There's just....not much content. You can do all of the stuff that's already in the regular campaign at high torment difficulties, which literally alters nothing about the gameplay except gives the monsters more health and makes them do more damage. You can run Nephalem Rifts at high torments, which are just randomized dungeons with a boss that spawns near you after you've killed enough stuff. The bosses are also random and none really seem to have particularly notable mechanics that need to be addressed. Then there's the main thing to do - run Greater Rifts. These are exactly the same as Nephalem rifts (i.e. just random tilesets from the game with random monsters) but with higher monster density and a timer to complete them in 15 minutes. There's a thing to choose higher levels for them but this is basically just a tweak on the normal torment difficulty slider thing.

I got my barbarian into Greater Rift level 61 or 63 or something like that solo, but he kinda has hit a brick wall because he just needs to do more DPS to clear them fast enough to go further. The biggest DPS boost I could get would be to get an Ancient version of my weapon, but just grinding out enough materials to gamble on one is a chore so just...ughhhh.

SO!

I checked into Path of Exile since it's been a while since I played. My Facebreaker Ice Crash marauder is still basically the same, though an upcoming patch is gonna boost his DPS significantly, which is cool. My witch character which I've built following a build guide changed a lot with the addition of a new channeled skill called scorching ray, so it plays way different now but is just as stupid powerful. It was cool following a build guide to experience what the game can be like with a super powerful character, but I think I might fiddle around with trying out my own build again for my third character. There's a huge new expansion coming out this summer that DOUBLES the actual campaign from five acts to ten, including way more story stuff, which I'm definitely looking forward to.

Basically this game just shits all over D3 in terms of things to do and interesting challenges at endgame. Tons of content, including the endgame map bosses and just running challenging maps mods, so many build options and so much theorycrafting, etc. The main complaint is that the XP loss on death still just kinda feels like a slap in the face.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:31 pm 

i feel like i fucked up big time by getting an xbone because all this awesome shit keeps coming out for the ps4. i wanna play bloodborne!

i mean the reality is i don't play much video games anyway (for whatever reason i always just come back to medieval 2: total war) but damn, i feel like i am missing out.

i've got a couple games for the xbone but i just always play mad max because, cars and smashing and beating people up and shit.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:50 pm 

My strategy/RTS-junkie friend played M2TW more or less regularly for like 6 years and has the game down to a science. It's frightening.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:17 pm 

yeah i'm pretty much there. i got into europa universalis IV which is great but unfortunately runs a bit shit on my laptop.

i think a big part of the appeal of M2TW is that you can leave it running all day on the campaign map and nothing will happen unless you end a turn so, it's an easy pace.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:52 pm 

brainbomb wrote:
i feel like i fucked up big time by getting an xbone because all this awesome shit keeps coming out for the ps4. i wanna play bloodborne!

i mean the reality is i don't play much video games anyway (for whatever reason i always just come back to medieval 2: total war) but damn, i feel like i am missing out.

i've got a couple games for the xbone but i just always play mad max because, cars and smashing and beating people up and shit.

mad max is such a fun game imo, i had to get an xbox one but the playstation 4 has about 20 great exclusives and the xbox one has about 1 or 2

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I checked into Path of Exile since it's been a while since I played. My Facebreaker Ice Crash marauder is still basically the same, though an upcoming patch is gonna boost his DPS significantly, which is cool. My witch character which I've built following a build guide changed a lot with the addition of a new channeled skill called scorching ray, so it plays way different now but is just as stupid powerful. It was cool following a build guide to experience what the game can be like with a super powerful character, but I think I might fiddle around with trying out my own build again for my third character. There's a huge new expansion coming out this summer that DOUBLES the actual campaign from five acts to ten, including way more story stuff, which I'm definitely looking forward to.

Basically this game just shits all over D3 in terms of things to do and interesting challenges at endgame. Tons of content, including the endgame map bosses and just running challenging maps mods, so many build options and so much theorycrafting, etc. The main complaint is that the XP loss on death still just kinda feels like a slap in the face.

I've also been getting into PoE a lot recently and yeah, especially for a F2P game it's got a bunch of content. You almost need to spend some money on it (the stash tabs) if you're invested in getting to endgame though. I spent far too many hours durdling around not really understanding the game properly with a couple of now failed characters that it's not worth respeccing. Eventually I actually looked at how to actually play the game. If the game had told me that resistances and life/energy shield are almost everything I would have got a lot further than I did initially! Now I've got a arc witch build that's almost really good. She can take down large groups pretty quickly anyway, some bosses can be pretty tough. I could do with some more unique items to get the final boost towards endgame though and for some reason I've decided that it's a single player game and I'd rather not trade for them. So we'll see where that goes... I've had a bunch of the same high level unique armour drop but not an awful lot of high level equipment that'd be good for the build.

As for the experience loss on death, it can be pretty frustrating. One map boss can take like half your xp bar if you're not careful. The last couple of levels I've been taking fairly cautiously, doing lots of t6-7 maps with, well any mod but reflect elemental (fuck I hate that one) rather than trying my luck on 10+ ones.

I'm really excited for the 3.0.0 expansion too. Getting rid of cruel difficulty is probably a good way to go and yeah, so much content!

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
brainbomb wrote:

mad max is such a fun game imo, i had to get an xbox one but the playstation 4 has about 20 great exclusives and the xbox one has about 1 or 2

it's great! yeah, it's repetitive but it's fun. plus, smashing up convoys is a blast. closest feeling in the game to being in the movies.

and yeah that's the problem. ps4 has a ridiculous amount of great exclusives. i'll probably get one eventually, i don't know.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 pm 

It's never a mistake to pick the Sony console, to be honest. Every single generation their library just ends up being superior over the competitors' (though I gotta credit my ol' pal the Saturn for giving it a run of its money ^^), simply because of Japanese game support which is non-existent on the X1.

I guess if you don't care at all about any single Japanese-made game then it won't matter, but then the PS4 is also more powerful soooo *shrugs* Really can't think of a reason to ever buy an Xbox One.

Sick6Six wrote:
WHy is nobody talkin bout Nioh up in here?

Too busy playing it

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:39 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Really can't think of a reason to ever buy an Xbox One.

Which is why the only valid reason to ever own one is "Dish had that one promo and I got it for free."

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

I'm that anomaly that owns both + a Wii U

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:43 pm 

this is going to sound weird but mad max reminds me of forza horizon 3 because driving is just so much fun in both games, i think mad max needed better car customisation they hyped it up to be amazing but it wasnt that great but it still felt like your car, i loved the convoy's

and sadly my brother bought the console, he picked the xbox one so i got an xbox one :P on the new mass effect

the new mass effect looks like fun and i dont care if this makes me look basic but i really wish they would keep the paragon/renegade system purely because ever since KOTOR i have been a huge fan of being as evil as possible, ah well i am sure i can still be a dick in the game i just want recognition that i am a dick(in the game i get plenty of recognition that i am a dick in real life)

and the new prey special edition looks good its got this weird thing

its not big but its not expensive either($110 instead of $100) so i might get that if i can

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:29 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
As for the experience loss on death, it can be pretty frustrating. One map boss can take like half your xp bar if you're not careful. The last couple of levels I've been taking fairly cautiously, doing lots of t6-7 maps with, well any mod but reflect elemental (fuck I hate that one) rather than trying my luck on 10+ ones.

I'm really excited for the 3.0.0 expansion too. Getting rid of cruel difficulty is probably a good way to go and yeah, so much content!

Oh wow, didn't read about that change in 3.0. Sounds like a good choice. I hope they also change the Ascendancy stuff in some way, i.e. not tying it to the Labyrinth. Some builds are just pretty shitty at Lab and it sucks to try to do twitch platformer shit in a game like this. My witch can basically just walk through the traps without worrying about them but my marauder gets wrecked unless I item swap and remove my helmet and shit every time I go through traps. So annoying.

Having two characters with different strengths is nice, though. My marauder is definitely more visceral to play and feels faster for general clearing, and he doesn't care about map mods like hexproof or the one where you can't deal crits because he can't crit anyway. Meanwhile the witch doesn't give a shit about any kind of reflect, but hexproof can be a challenge as it really cuts into her leech. Between the two of them I rarely get map rolls that neither one of them can safely do.

Dunno what I'll make next...that new channeled melee skill looks kind of cool. Maybe a duelist or assassin? Or maybe a bow ranger. Dunno.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 am 

seems like fun

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 am 

Morrigan wrote:

basically, amazon had one of their crazy ass summer deals last summer and an xbone and a shitload of extras were like a little over 300 bucks i think? it was that, an extra controller, a free game (i chose fallout 4), and a $50 gift card (so i snagged mad max and MGS5 because at that point both were like, 20-30 bucks.) it was a great deal. but, yeah, all that aside, PS4 is better. i've always had a playstation so i felt like i kind of betrayed myself.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:08 pm 

brainbomb wrote:
basically, amazon had one of their crazy ass summer deals last summer and an xbone and a shitload of extras were like a little over 300 bucks i think? it was that, an extra controller, a free game (i chose fallout 4), and a $50 gift card (so i snagged mad max and MGS5 because at that point both were like, 20-30 bucks.) it was a great deal. but, yeah, all that aside, PS4 is better. i've always had a playstation so i felt like i kind of betrayed myself.

Damn, that was a good deal, way to go man

Even better considering I was just on Steam, looking up DOA 5 (for research). The price of that game with all its DLC?

Spoiler: show
$1,217.33

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:40 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
brainbomb wrote:

Damn, that was a good deal, way to go man

Even better considering I was just on Steam, looking up DOA 5 (for research). The price of that game with all its DLC?

Spoiler: show
$1,217.33

i just went back to my account to look at what the price was: $261.29. sheesh, so it was even less than i remember.

also goddamn, surely that price in the spoiler must be a mistake. what the fack.

Last edited by brainbomb on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Agreed. I also feel the same way about Nintendo Switch.

Sorry but Legend of Zelda 20 and motion controls ain't a deal maker.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:35 pm 

brainbomb wrote:
i just went back to my account to look at what the price was: $261.29. sheesh, so it was even less than i remember.

also goddamn, surely that price in the spoiler must be a mistake. what the fack.

Ah yes that is indeed a good deal.

As for the DLC thing I'm not remotely surprised.

volutetheswarth wrote:
Sorry but Legend of Zelda 20 and motion controls ain't a deal maker.

Oh, I agree. Honestly the Switch is a joke right now. I'd* cave for Monster Hunter though, I'm dying to get a new one on the big screen. :( So far no news of a new one though, boooo Capcom.

* Hypothetical conditional, because my boyfriend is a Ninty fanboy so our household's getting one regardless :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:45 pm 

Nothing wrong with being a Nintendo fanboy. ;)

I do want to get my hands on that new Zelda! I've been carefully avoiding the spoilers coming out about it.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:48 pm 

The problem with Nintendo games is you need a Nintendo to play them. I've got a PC with a bad-ass graphics card, I don't want to have to buy another system to play a developer's games. And unlike many people, a 486 PC was what I had for gaming as a kid, so Nintendo-stalgia has no hold on me at all. Breath of the Wild might be compelling as a $60 game, but not as a $360 game.

Even still, the Switch's handheld capabilities make it seem less undesirable than the PS4 and Xbone, machines whose very existence I see no real reason for. What are home consoles even for nowadays, in the era of DisplayPort TVs and ubiquitous PC ports?

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:56 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
speaking of Telltale games, has anyone played tale from the borderlands?

Their best game. Seriously, Gearbox needs to hire Telltale for the writing on Borderlands 3.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:55 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Even still, the Switch's handheld capabilities make it seem less undesirable than the PS4 and Xbone, machines whose very existence I see no real reason for. What are home consoles even for nowadays, in the era of DisplayPort TVs and ubiquitous PC ports?

1) Exclusives
2) Not everyone wants to build a gaming PC and maintain and upgrade that every few years, getting a console is less of a headache
3) Exclusives
4) Consoles are often cheaper than high-end graphic cards
5) Not everyone has their PC in the same room as their TV/comfy couch/preferred comfort gaming setup
6) Communities for online gamers (one reason I see often that people picked the Xbone over PS4 is "my friends all play ___ on the Xbox and I want to keep playing with them", and that's a fair point)
7) Exclusives

Honestly I can't believe I'd still see "why do consoles even exist anymore lol" posts nowadays. Reeks of "PC master race" bullshit to be honest.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm 

Yeah, basically what Morrigan said. Keeping up with PC gaming standards and constantly changing whateverthefuckery is a huge pain in the ass, not to mention expensive as hell. I'd much rather just buy a console, which will last for years without me having to worry about updating it in any way.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 pm 

You really don't have to update a PC nearly that often. I get a new video card every 5 years or so, and have had minimal problems playing new games at good settings. And it's not like consoles play every game that comes out at a constant 60 fps, either.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm 

I haven't bought a current gen and I imagine they have annoying game/console updates but gaming PCs are not some effortless/budget optimal/quick option.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:35 pm 

Eh. My own PC is about 5 years old and it hasn't been able to play modern AAA games at 1080/60 since about 2014 or so (except games that were still last-gen like Borderlands TPS) which is when the PS4 came out. The vanilla (not pro) PS4 can run MGS5, Doom and Wolfenstein TNO/TOB at a perfect 60 fps, but my PC can't even meet the minimum requirements at all for, say, MGS5 and Doom (and just barely meets them for Wolfenstein based on the minimum requirements posted on TOB's Steam page).

Of course, at the time I had a mid-range card, not a super high-end type of card. Because I didn't want to actually spend more than what I would for a console. Yes, of course you can stay with a decent PC for a few years, but volute is correct in that consoles are simply an easier option for many consumers.

Plus, again: exclusives. :P I got to play Bloodborne, Nioh and will soon play Horizon, Ninty fans get to play Zelda, etc.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:16 pm 

Speak of the devil, I'm playing Doom and I'm running it smoothly until I got to the destroyed Argent Tower, the level I got to after my first excursion in Hell, and I'm only just now getting fps drops.

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:13 am 

TBH it's probably a good thing that Capcom keeps only putting out MH games on handhelds. I mean, what if Capcom made a MH for PC and PS4 with cross-platform play? The money they would make from that would probably be enough for them them to take over the Free World and put an end to democracy.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:18 am 

i know its old speculation but crash bandicoot for the xbox one? i sure as hell hope so

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:35 pm 

Talented Juli wrote:
TBH it's probably a good thing that Capcom keeps only putting out MH games on handhelds. I mean, what if Capcom made a MH for PC and PS4 with cross-platform play? The money they would make from that would probably be enough for them them to take over the Free World and put an end to democracy.

Nah. MH isn't that big outside of Japan, and console gaming is a dying breed in Japan, with handheld surviving and mobile being the new overlord.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:32 pm 

Talented Juli wrote:

Monster Hunter traditionally has only seen great success through its portable entries. While its console ones have had respectable sales, it's portable that sells. Local co-op is also a huge draw in Japan,, and putting them out on mobile also means they can be lower-budget affairs then they would be on consoles and (to a lesser extent) PC.

If it's brought to the PS4, it will sell well for a Japanese console game on PS4, but it is going to lose millions of gamers who don't even own a TV in Japan. Additionally, we will lose out on salty port-begging threads on Capcom Unity and GAF, which isn't worth any amount of money.

Woolie_Wool wrote:
The problem with Nintendo games is you need a Nintendo to play them. I've got a PC with a bad-ass graphics card, I don't want to have to buy another system to play a developer's games. And unlike many people, a 486 PC was what I had for gaming as a kid, so Nintendo-stalgia has no hold on me at all. Breath of the Wild might be compelling as a $60 game, but not as a $360 game.

I own pretty much every console, and I haven't touched them in years because I've got too many PC games. The struggle :(

The Switch's lineup is incredibly disappointing though, especially since owning a Wii U means I can already get the Zelda game.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm 

The Switch in general seems like a damage control reaction to the failure of the Wii U. Poorly developed games, lengthy delays, hardly progressed specs, barely any marketing or late marketing before release, the gamepad is a clear extension of the Wii U gamepad only with removable controllers and better portability, hardly any line-up and "party games", most games were going to be for Wii U anyway, etc.

I don't wanna rag on Nintendo but I'm not going to excuse such a lazy and dismal entry.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 am 

looks good imo

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
The Switch in general seems like a damage control reaction to the failure of the Wii U. Poorly developed games, lengthy delays, hardly progressed specs, barely any marketing or late marketing before release, the gamepad is a clear extension of the Wii U gamepad only with removable controllers and better portability, hardly any line-up and "party games", most games were going to be for Wii U anyway, etc.

I don't wanna rag on Nintendo but I'm not going to excuse such a lazy and dismal entry.

Yeah, it's really disappointing. They're releasing it way earlier than they should.

I'll likely get it anyways since PC+Nintendo console is the way to go, but probably not until the holidays when there are actually some games. Probably done buying consoles from the other two though at this point too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:27 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:

looks good imo

I thought it looked terrible, even worse than LotF. Everything looks so bland and drab...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 am 

Morrigan wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

looks good imo

I thought it looked terrible, even worse than LotF. Everything looks so bland and drab...

i must admit i find the outdoor environments boring but personally i like how the combat looks, just my opinion though its not something i am curious about not something i would blindly purchase i just hope the environments have a bit more variety to them, that with the dark souls 3 environmental designers would be great imo

i mean i agree with your point about it looking drab and bland

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:53 am 

In addition to Torment 2 which launches tomorrow, ELEX, Bannerlord and Divinity: Original Sin 2 so far are the only biggish budget games that I pretty much know will be good.

I'm hoping that Prey and Mass Effect: Andromeda will surprise me, but I'm sure as hell not holding my breath.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 am 

if quantum break worth getting for cheap? i am not really all that interested in the tv show part of it and mostly just the video game part

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 pm 

Adding to the console side of the PC debate a few posts back, its harder to hack a console release than a PC one.

I downloaded Hawken last week and finally starting to get decent at it. This is the mech game I've always wanted, to be honest. I blast the ExoSquad theme every time I start it up.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:19 pm 

Beat Nioh last night! What a ride. GOTY easily for now. Horizon might have a shot, but we'll see. If anything the massively glowing reviews make me almost wary... :lol: Buuut Nioh also got plenty of 9's and that was accurate for once.

I still need to clear some post-game optional missions (that T+H duel is asfdsgdfhgfh fuuuuuu) and try NG+ and maybe do some coop, so I'm not even really done with the game, but to reach the credits I clocked in like, 70 hours. Damn. I took my time and explored every nook and cranny though, even went back in past levels to get all the kodama (hey they're not just a stupid collectible, they are cute AND useful :D). I read a free update will include some new stuff like new boss-rush types of missions and... PvP (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Overall it's not as strong of a package as, say, Bloodborne or Souls games. But it's close. Damn close.

I will say this, and prepare to gasp... Nioh probably has the superior action combat mechanics. :eek: I am not saying this lightly, believe me. But it iterated on the Souls concept in such amazing ways, and it's just such a joy to play (they've come a long way since the alpha, damn). I mained the sword + dual swords for the entire game, used the same guardian spirit for like 90% of the game and dabbled into minimal ninjutsu and onmyo magic, so I haven't even explored the other weapons and options yet.

The rest? Well, the enemy variety is rather weak. It could really, really have used more enemy types, that's probably the biggest (and only) drawback of the game. Soulsborne games have superior enemy design and variety, and overall superior encounters and level design. Though I must say the level design in Nioh is still quite strong, each main mission has a tightly crafted level with its solid enemy placement, shortcuts, verticality, secrets, etc. It never quite reaches the highs of Souls levels but it stands on its own just fine.

One more complaint though quite minor: I wish we could have created our character. William's story isn't even that interesting, his personality is almost non-existent, and you could have easily tweaked the story just a bit by having a customizable protagonist and there'd hardly be much of a difference. I don't mind William too much though, at least he isn't annoying or intrusive, and uh, he's easy on the eyes >_>.

So, because of the weaker enemy variety, and slightly weaker level design, and better variety of playstyles (with the greater variety of builds, weapons, and magic) + character creator, I would say that Souls games are slightly ahead still. But Nioh is a brilliant evolution in the same genre. Oh yeah, it has a Diablo-like loot system too, complete with transmogrification, re-rolling properties, etc. if you're into that stuff. Some hate it, some love it, I don't mind it, though I think I prefer the simpler equipment system in Souls.

Oh and for those who worry about it being too hard? I think it's easier than Souls games overall. YMMV, but there are more "crutch" types of options to essentially break the game in Nioh than in Souls, fewer "cheap" ambushes, and because of the smaller variety of mobs, by the time you reach mid-game, you'll be dancing around what you used to think were formerly scary mobs. I'd say the beginning is harder than the rest for the most part, most people bang their head against the first two main bosses and then more or less cruise through until mid-/late-game. It's still plenty challenging though, one boss in particular is brutal and those post-game "duels" are near breaking me...

Anyway. Bring on the DLC!

tl;dr Nioh fucking rules and you need to buy it ASAP :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799, 800 ... 940  Next