Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 am 

I'm just glad Capcom decided to finally give a middle finger to Blanka. Fuck that fucking asshole! Most of the characters included seem to be based around solid fundamentals first. Characters to me, like Blanka and Dhalsim are based around gimmicks and trickery and other bullshit that's like, "oh you have to block on this side or you'll always get hit with this move! And by the way, there's next to no indication of where it's going to hit so good luck trying to block it!"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm 

Old news apparently but it has been resurfacing on GAF and... well, my mind is blown :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:41 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I'm just glad Capcom decided to finally give a middle finger to Blanka. Fuck that fucking asshole! Most of the characters included seem to be based around solid fundamentals first. Characters to me, like Blanka and Dhalsim are based around gimmicks and trickery and other bullshit that's like, "oh you have to block on this side or you'll always get hit with this move! And by the way, there's next to no indication of where it's going to hit so good luck trying to block it!"

I'm iffy on that. It's sort of fun to have a shenanigans based character on the roster. The problem is fighting against one can feel annoying but it seems like that's supposed to be the point. Blanka isn't going to be a top tier character, but he is supposed to break someone's mental fortitude.

Dhalsim would be the same way with his keep away game. You're supposed to get impatient with Dhalsim and move in but you'll keep getting smacked around for not doing it correctly.

Neither character is broken, but they both get in your head if played well. I think Blanka is off the Street Fighter V roster with Laura in there, but Dhalsim might make it.

Morrigan wrote:
Old news apparently but it has been resurfacing on GAF and... well, my mind is blown :P

Hah hah that's funny. It's not like what Capcom lifted was even essential to potraying the action on the scene. It's like plagiarism for plagiarism's sake.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:01 pm 

There's a demo out for Indivisible. I'm downloading it now.

http://indivisiblegame.com/?page=3

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:28 pm 

There was a demo/prototype since day 1.

It's absolutely shameful how much this campaign is struggling despite having a stellar prototype, the devs being experienced, and the game looking so good. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:06 am 

This should put a smile on anyone's face, I'm not even a big Zelda fan but this is really cool:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:29 am 

It makes it so much better that it's Colbert too.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:30 pm 

The free promo CD that came with Skyward Sword still gets plays in the house.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:42 pm 

Just firing up Hearts of Stone. It's good to be back!

Also, turns out Tyranny's Tides of Awakening is a pretty good soundtrack for the base game's pre-menu cutscene :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:51 pm 

captain_che wrote:
Just firing up Hearts of Stone. It's good to be back!

The graphics are still really nice.

That's about all I have good to say about it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:45 pm 

The new guitar hero is fucking infuriating. It's kinda neat to have a challenge again but fucking hell.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 pm 

I didn't care much when Triforce Heroes was announced but it's gotten pretty good reviews and might be fun to try out if another friend decides to buy it as well. It'd be nice to dust off my 3DS. But come on, when the hell are we going to get more news on Zelda Wii U?! :???:

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:08 am 

So Vivendi is trying to take over Ubisoft. I hope it doesn't happen, Ubisoft is one of the only big third-party publishers still pushing out mid- and low-budget games.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:39 am 

Fatal Frame on the Wii U is pretty cool. I don't get this feeling of intense dread and isolation. Like many modern games, it comes with a tutorial section that just sort of takes away any feeling of horror. It's scary but not terrifying.

The best part is the Wii U gamepad feels intuitively like a camera and works well with the game.

The worst part is it's a digital download only game and it takes up a lot of space on the Wii U. You can pretty much only afford to download this and one other Wii U game. I got Windwaker HD for free with Mario Kart and downloading Fatal Frame now only leaves me with 3 gigs left.

Nintendo really dropped the ball having the Wii U with such a small hard drive and making this a digital download only game. But if those aren't an issue, Fatal Frame does look really promising.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
The new guitar hero is fucking infuriating. It's kinda neat to have a challenge again but fucking hell.

The live footage looks horribly cheesy :lol:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:52 pm 

Razakel wrote:
might be fun to try out if another friend decides to buy it as well.

Just checking: you know you can't play it with only two players, right?

Quote:
But come on, when the hell are we going to get more news on Zelda Wii U?! :???:

I'm not expecting anything before next year, personally. Maybe at the Game Awards, I guess.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:44 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Razakel wrote:
might be fun to try out if another friend decides to buy it as well.

Just checking: you know you can't play it with only two players, right?

Doesn't it have download play? I'm fairly certain it has download play.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:25 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Doesn't it have download play? I'm fairly certain it has download play.

It does, but that doesn't change what I said; you still need three players to play the game in multiplayer. Though yeah, Razakel should note that you don't actually need multiple copies of the game for local play.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:35 pm 

Yeah, I read that wrong, my bad.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:09 am 

Seeing as how it's probably too early for a Dark Souls 3 thread I'm curious to see if anyone has preordered the game? I'm thinking about doing it but I've looked into about 5 different retailers and they all have different shipping dates... kinda confusing. :scratch:

Azmodes wrote:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:38 pm 

Looking forward to that one despite the fact that I didn't get on with Dark Souls 2. I'm hoping the level design is up to snuff in this game, I found the later stages in DS1 a bit lacking, which was continued in the second game. I'd say everything up to and including Anor Londo in the first game was perfect. Second game is really fucking patchy for me. I have to be honest, I started to get really bored with it around the Shrine of Amana.

A bit of a random thought, the end of the year is looking a bit disappointing for me. Probably going to get Fallout and Xenoblade. I'm barely excited about anything beyond those two.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:51 pm 

Pity you stopped 'cause Dark Souls 2's DLC has amazing level design, some of the best of the whole game.

Edit: not much of interest for Q4 for me either, to be honest... Bloodborne DLC of course, and maybe Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter which is finally coming out in a few days. And uh... that's about it as far as games with solid release dates go.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:57 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Looking forward to that one despite the fact that I didn't get on with Dark Souls 2. I'm hoping the level design is up to snuff in this game, I found the later stages in DS1 a bit lacking, which was continued in the second game. I'd say everything up to and including Anor Londo in the first game was perfect. Second game is really fucking patchy for me. I have to be honest, I started to get really bored with it around the Shrine of Amana.

A bit of a random thought, the end of the year is looking a bit disappointing for me. Probably going to get Fallout and Xenoblade. I'm barely excited about anything beyond those two.

Divinity: Original Sin >>>>>>>> all of those

I can't speak to the quality of the console port of the EE, but we'll know in like 2 days. Tactician mode in particular is looking spectacular.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:41 pm 

So. I've been very interested in Mordheim: City of the Damned for PC as of late. It's basically the tabletop Mordheim game (a module of sorts within the Warhammer Fantasy strategy game) adapted for PC but with a few tweaks to optimize for being a video game - My friend's a hardcore fan of tabletop Warhammer Fantasy/40k (he showed me the PC game this weekend) and confirmed that none of those tweaks simplify or needlessly change the gameplay from the tabletop version. It's in early access on Steam right now but is apparently remarkably well-developed following a recent major update that removed most of the early performance issues. I'm especially interested in how they're handling movement - rather than the customary hex-grid or point and click, you control a character on its turn and can actually free-move using WASD, with each movement "space" represented by a circle - when you leave that space another circle appears at the border of where you left, and you can continue for as many spaces as that unit can move. If you want to backtrack, you just go back to that border where the newest circle appeared and pick up an indicator left when you crossed to the new circle. Makes it incredibly easy to determine exactly where you unit to go, which is essential given this game's heavy focus on buildings and terrain.

I'm probably going to buy it tonight and start skirmishing with my friend, but any other fans here are welcome to hit me up.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:04 pm 

Started playing Bloodborne tonight, didn't have a chance to get into it much but it seems cool. Looking forward to delve into the depths.

Azmodes wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:03 pm 

This might not mean much to most people here, but I never cared much for the Souls games and I liked Bloodborne plenty from what I was able to play. Had to stop because I no longer have a PS4 and never got very far because I wasn't conditioned by Souls to play the right way, but it was plenty of fun.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:29 pm 

For the JRPG fans who are on console only, the prototype/demo for Indivisible (Valkyrie Profile x Metroidvania) will be available for free on the PS4 next Tuesday! :)

http://www.destructoid.com/lab-zero-to- ... 8280.phtml

I would strongly urge you try it out and back the project if you like it. The campaign is struggling right now, yet the prototype is solid, game looks really cool, and the developers are experienced with a solid and transparent reputation.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:13 am 

Kinda wish I could play Bloodborne before I get onto DSII since the changes in 2 sound annoying and the change in art style/monster focus sounds like a good way to freshen it up, but I probably won't be getting a PS4 for like three years.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:31 am 

I don't know why people rag on DS2 so much; I thought the game was fine and the DLC were fantastic. The only major thing I didn't really enjoy was the movement between bonfires, it made the game feel very disjointed.

I got a little further into Bloodborne and I'm liking it a lot and hoping it make me not so reliant on a great shield when DS3 comes out. I beat what I'm assuming was the first boss in one go so that was cool; also figured how to level up and mess with my weapons so I did a bit of that. The only thing I'm not enjoying is the seemingly endless and directionless feel to the game. Maybe it's just cause it's the beginning but I feel like I have absolutely no idea where I'm supposed to be heading.

Azmodes wrote:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:50 am 

I haven't played it yet, gonna go through Alien Isolation and maybe something bright and friendly and easy first, so I don't want to rag on it baselessly, but a lot of the changes sound exceptionally not-fun, like the super tracking, non-precise hit boxes, tying dodging in with a stat, lack of clever shortcuts, constant mobs, enforced multiple stong enemy fights and multi bosses, so I admit I'm not crazy hyped for it. Sadly I only bought the default version, so I'll need to pay extra for the DLC, how does it compare to the Oolacile stuff from the original?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:35 am 

If you haven't opened it yet I would just take it back as SotFS was only like $35 for PS4 so I'm sure it would be cheaper on PS3.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about with the forced fighting and mobs though? That stuff was all over DS1 as well... care to elaborate. And yeah sure the game play and mechanics are a bit different than the first but they work out just fine once you get used to them. Like I said I have my issues with the game too but they sound far different from what you're describing.

Azmodes wrote:

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:39 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about with the forced fighting and mobs though? That stuff was all over DS1 as well... care to elaborate. And yeah sure the game play and mechanics are a bit different than the first but they work out just fine once you get used to them. Like I said I have my issues with the game too but they sound far different from what you're describing.

He might be referring to DS2's habit of placing bonfires practically right next to the boss room but then placing several enemies in your way. It kind of encourages you to just run past those enemies to get to the boss fog (which you can often see from the bonfire), making those enemies pointless. Matthewmatosis pointed that out in his video critique too.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:36 am 

I was going more that I've heard it forces groups of strong enemies to agro together, unlike say, the giant knights in Anor Londo who you can trigger one at a time, this may not be true it's just what I've heard. DS was generally pretty kind at letting you only fight one tough thing at a time if you were careful (Like that three skeleton dogs standing one behind the other room for instance, or all the Taurus demon's standing in a clump). And for mobs, they were fairly sparce and almost always made of weak die one-shot enemies, I've heard 2 has far more mobs and that they're full of tougher enemies.

Edit: Better way to put it is, people make it sound more like the Large Divine Ember room is a common occurrence.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:36 am 

He's regurgitating the typical DS2 hater talking points he's read on the internet. Some of the criticism isn't completely without merit (though a lot of it is), but even that is greatly exaggerated and tends to ignore that similar, and sometimes even identical flaws existed in Dark Souls too as well, but rose-tinted glasses are what they are.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:44 am 

I'm thinking there could be a lot of exaggeration, I mean, the difficulty in 1 wasn't half as full on as people made it seem (At least before you start intentionally boosting the difficulty, I guess), the fanbase can be notoriously over the top. Just saying my concerns based purely on what I've heard, not actually vilifying or saying it sucks myself, just people have given me reservations. It's good to hear that it's not as grim as others can make it seem. Still thinking I'm gonna want something friendly a breezy first to break up the tones of the things I've been playing.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:39 am 

Matthewmatosis critique of vanilla DS2 was spot-on. Scholar of the First Sin cleared up a good chunk of those issues, though.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:50 am 

Man this second boss fight in Bloodborne is fucking killer. I should be able to breeze on by this guy but he keeps raping me senseless and I can't figure out why. I think I'll just blame the terrain, yeah that's it, all those tombstones in my way damnit

Woohoo killed his ass dead.

Azmodes wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:15 am 

^ Congrats! He's actually one of the hardest non-optional bosses IMO. :lol:

darkeningday wrote:
Matthewmatosis critique of vanilla DS2 was spot-on. Scholar of the First Sin cleared up a good chunk of those issues, though.

How does changing enemy placement somewhat, and item placement, change all that much? Doesn't make sense.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:18 am 

Oh really!? Nice, now I don't feel so bad that he was that hard :lol:

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:23 pm 

Father Gascoigne's really damn tough, yeah, but also fun as fuck to fight. Kind of BB's equivalent of Artorias, only very, very early in the game :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731 ... 940  Next