Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:43 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Ew, jumping in Souls-like games. I'm not sure what it's like in Bloodbourne, but I lost count how many times I died in Dark Souls and Lords of the Fallen by jumping, landing on the platform, and then the idiot doing an unnecessary roll and taking a little tumble off the cliff. Grr. Did they fix that in Bloodbourne?

I don't recall needing to do much "platforming" in Bloodborne, in comparison to some nasty item placement in Dark Souls. There's a few parts here and there but yeah, it didn't stand out as much to me. "Shit... I gotta hope I make this jump".

But I fully agree with Morrigan, I've accidentally jumped a ton when I just wanted to purely sprint. Seems really sensitive.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:40 pm 

Any Dragon Quest fans here?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:31 pm 

(contains ending spoilers)

Pretty good. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:01 am 

Yep, another good one by Honest Trailers. :) Shame about the spoilers, I'd like to show it to some folks but ehhh.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 am 

The Darkplace gag made me spit beer.

JediSpam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:44 pm 

any counter strike players up in here?

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:12 pm 

JediSpam wrote:

Fun story: My freshman year in highschool I took a programming class. The teacher, however, was retiring that year, and showed up totally baked to class every day, so all we did the entire semester was play Counterstrike and Starcraft. I got to be pretty great at them.

Don't play them much anymore. I mainly stick with TF2 now, since it's much more laid back.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:16 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
The Darkplace gag made me spit beer.

Needed maggots...

...maggots...

...maggots...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:31 pm 

:lol: that's so perfect.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:37 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
JediSpam wrote:

Fun story: My freshman year in highschool I took a programming class. The teacher, however, was retiring that year, and showed up totally baked to class every day, so all we did the entire semester was play Counterstrike and Starcraft. I got to be pretty great at them.

Don't play them much anymore. I mainly stick with TF2 now, since it's much more laid back.

:lol: Sounds like my Sophomore or Junior (forgot) year of High School! I was taking a computer animation class, but the teacher was ALWAYS out (she taught photography at the same time, and honestly was totally cool with us just BSing around) so we would do the projects quickly, and then play Counter-Strike for the rest of the week :lol: It was so much fun.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:38 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yep, another good one by Honest Trailers. :) Shame about the spoilers, I'd like to show it to some folks but ehhh.

Whoops, I guess you edited my post. I didn't even know that myself and didn't mean for that to be spoiled when I watched it myself, but I guess I don't really care. The plot is full on bonkers no matter how you cut it, not sure it helps explain... anything... haha.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:35 pm 

Greetings frienemies! That was a really short perma ban, I'm a little disappoint :cry: BTW :tongue: Also I love you guys, in the most hateful kind of way <4

In other hopefully unoffensive completely my opinion which is probably wrong news! I picked up the PS4 DSII: SOTFS and it is quite impressive. There are a ton of differences I have noticed that feel way smarter and more thought out, they did a great job with updating the graphics as well. There were a ton of areas where I was getting ready to deal with what I knew from the original game only to be surprised. A lot more friendly and unfriendly NPCs, some areas reduced quantity of enemies and instead there is 1 badass in their place.

The very beginning of the game still feels like the same old thing, but once you get a little further you really notice the extra layer of polish and new additions. Lighting is a lot better and some of the areas look like they visited a beauty makeover salon (that's what I did this last week too). I'm enjoying it more this time than when it was first released even. PvP also seems way better, like not laggy as all hell where you get backstabbed by an enemy that's across the room. I finished first playthru, but am just getting into the DLC areas and not going to NG+ until I'm done with everything in NG. 1/.9 would recommend.

P.S. I never even got an amusing and soul crushing response to my email to the phenomenal cosmic webmasters unhindered by itty bitty living space, also sadness. Maybe I will get rebanned if you guys read it :beer:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:35 pm 

Yeah a bug will get patched. Shocking news. You sure showed us!

...Also, you really don't know when to shut the fuck up and stop being mega-butthurt, do you? Jesus fucking christ... :lol: well okay, if you want to get banned again so bad, so be it. Maybe, just maybe, next time you'll stop being the biggest, most annoying passive-aggressive drama queen I've seen on this board in a long, long time.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:49 am 

I finished Never Alone in 3 hours. It's a short game which makes the price I paid totally worth it. Free for PSN+ It also has clips from an Inuit documentary that lasts about 30 minutes total. So it's an independent game that tells the story of an indigenous people. It's a hipster's dream.

As far as gameplay it's a puzzle platformer and it's OK. Not good and not bad.

I used a Gamestop coupon to snag me Dragon Age Inquisition and The Evil Within. Hopefully they're both good. They seem like my type of game.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:52 pm 

If you're alright pausing and issuing commands to you party, playing DA:I on Nightmare with Friendly Fire turned on will give you about the best "classic" RPG experience ever put on (any) console. If you'd rather not pause, I'd still recommend you play it on at least Hard. Normal and Easy basically just let you mash buttons to win except for boss battles. It's unfortunate but it's not difficult to see why they did that.

Also, don't collect shards. Seriously, don't do it. The rewards are minimal and the tedium is so immense it'll make you hate the game.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the living hell out of what I've played of Scholar of the First Sin, although Pillars is still the more alluring title right now.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah a bug will get patched. Shocking news. You sure showed us!

...Also, you really don't know when to shut the fuck up and stop being mega-butthurt, do you? Jesus fucking christ... :lol: well okay, if you want to get banned again so bad, so be it. Maybe, just maybe, next time you'll stop being the biggest, most annoying passive-aggressive drama queen I've seen on this board in a long, long time.

:lol:

Classic case of can't-shut-the-fuck-up-itis. Maybe he got it from darkeningday? ;)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:21 pm 

But I never wanted to be banned. It just happened naturally! :P

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:26 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I picked up the PS4 DSII: SOTFS and it is quite impressive. There are a ton of differences[...]

That's good news because DS2 was such a let down for me and I was really hoping the changes might improve the game.

But I'll be stuck on Bloodborne for a while. Two trophies left!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:00 pm 

I'm having a ball with Bloodborne. Whenever I decide to play something else (which may be in the distant future :lol:), should I look into that new version of Dark Souls 2? Or go back and actually finish DeS and DS?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 pm 

Jesus fuck, I don't know what it is but I always have a harder time with The Pursuer than I do with any of the DS1 endgame bosses.

The two times I tried summoning someone for help they shot the ballista at me instead. :annoyed:

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:59 pm 

I'm thinking of getting vanilla DS2 at some point because I've heard some unsavory stuff about SotFS (mostly it being a big ol'e cashgrab), and IDK if the DLC even works with it

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:10 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Jesus fuck, I don't know what it is but I always have a harder time with The Pursuer than I do with any of the DS1 endgame bosses.

The two times I tried summoning someone for help they shot the ballista at me instead. :annoyed:

Neat boss, though for some reason I can't get him to appear on the platform. :(

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:07 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
I'm having a ball with Bloodborne. Whenever I decide to play something else (which may be in the distant future :lol:), should I look into that new version of Dark Souls 2? Or go back and actually finish DeS and DS?

I'd go with option C) Beat all three.

@MorbidEngel: Huh? Pretty sure it includes all the DLC.

I won't argue it's probably not a massive change or worth the upgrade for some people, but to have it on the PS4, better framerate, and some changes, I have no problem double dipping for DS2. Huge game and these games are gonna be timeless for me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:09 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
I'm thinking of getting vanilla DS2 at some point because I've heard some unsavory stuff about SotFS (mostly it being a big ol'e cashgrab), and IDK if the DLC even works with it

What system will you be playing it on? If you have a PS4, XBONE or a modern gaming PC, SotFS is absolutely the one you should be going for. However, if you're playing on a PS3 or XBOX360 and can pick it up used on the cheap, that might be your best bet. But keep in mind that the getting all 3 DLC packs will run you an extra $30 on top of the cost of the base game.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:31 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
these games are gonna be timeless for me.

Ditto, with the possible exception of DS2 but the PS4 version might solve that problem, based on what people have said in this thread.

Anybody heard anything about From rereleasing DeS or DS? Artorias and Ornstein and Smough are in my top-five boss fights.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:07 pm 

The theory I've heard that sounds best as to why we only got DS2 "remastered" but not the others, is because the higher quality textures/assets were already mostly there from the PC release.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:39 am 

Welp, I beat Bloodborne. I spent 2 hours last night doing chalice dungeons; then 30 minutes beating the game. I guess I was that close before I left for my little trip.

The chalice dungeons are underwhelming right now. Maybe once I understand them more and how they work they'll be more intriguing. The ending (the entire ending sequence mind you, not just the "ending") was also somewhat underwhelming.

Overall the game is a step forward in terms of combat and setting. From Soft is really starting to carve it's niche regarding this genre but this game was surprisingly light on content. I beat Bloodborne in about a fourth of the time it took me to beat Dark Souls... and I hate to sound like that hipster... but it was pretty easy too. I died a lot, lot less than I did in any Souls game and no one boss took me more than a dozen tries.

(Granted, speedy dex builds built for dodging were always my Souls forte. I didn't rely on turtling at all so Bloodborne felt very natural for me.)

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:24 am 

NG+ is trash. The enemies have too much health and fights get ridiculously boring. Chalice dungeons so far are fine, but chests keep giving more Chalice Ritual materials like ritual blood. These dungeons provide little incentive but too much means to continue. I just started a new DEX character who will be using the rapier and Evelyn. Hopefully it won't be as boring as my STR build.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 am 

NG++ feels like nothing so I may start a new character myself to get the last ending I need.

@Red: Give the chalice dungeons a little time. They suddenly hit this spike and get way tougher than the core game. It's a worthwhile romp at least to get the trophy for taking down the Pthumeru Queen. The dungeon designs end up getting a little cooler and they end up being pretty filled with new unique monsters (still shocked a lot of them weren't in the main game), and even some unique bosses that are crazy. There's also a required dungeon in this path that halves your health and was probably one of the toughest moments in the whole game. Dungeon had 3 bosses, and because of the health limitation they could easily one shot you. Crazy stuff. Loran and Isz looked really cool.

Still, look at how much time you've clocked in? Still not like it's a short game. But at the same time I can see where you're coming from and had the same reaction especially from coming out of DS2 last, which is not even exaggerating... even without the DLC, it's practically twice the size of Bloodborne. I still haven't played Bloodborne online but I'm not hearing great things because of the Bell/Insight thing, and although the smaller number of armor/weapons is great for single player, I imagine people are coming across the same kind of players (looks/weapons wise) online pretty often which could get boring. This is the one plus I can give DS2 which probably has too much equipment... but it ends up giving players so much freedom to be unique. I did a ton of DS2 online covenant/PVP stuff and didn't really ever come across the same kind of players, if that makes sense. Everyone looked unique. Speaking of that, there doesn't seem to be much covenant stuff at all in Bloodborne.

Bloodborne wasn't too hard, but we also have to remember this is the 4th game now... so many of us at this point are just naturally going to be better at these. I do think they dropped the ball with the bosses for the most part though. Was very easy to take down most of them in one go for me. DS2 and Bloodborne seem to have tougher mobs and throw more enemies at you in the levels, so that aspect might be tougher than the first two games, but the bosses are definitely dialed back quite a bit. Never really felt the dread that the bosses in Demon's and DS1 posses. I pretty much destroyed everyone in my Bloodborne NG+. Even Mergo ends up being cake when you realize you just need some patience during the duplication part.

Also, now that I'm taking bigger breaks in between finishing up Bloodborne for now... the music is definitely a step down. It's good in-game, but I think it's easily the weakest OST of the 4.

The chalice dungeons could be the start of something that they take further and improve upon. Though honestly, I'd rather have a bigger core game than those. So I wonder what they'll do next time.

Overall I guess I'd say I probably like Bloodborne and DS2 equally, these two do a lot right but come with some flaws. Still some of the best though, but it's going to be pretty much impossible to top Demon's and Dark.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:15 pm 

New Mortal Kombat is amazing. Never been a huge fan but a lot of my friends are really getting back into fighters (seems like the whole genre is gaining ground again).

Finally got PS Plus too... so after getting it I have to ask, is it only the free stuff that you obviously can't keep? Makes sense. But now, can I take advantage of PS Plus prices for downloadable games, and keep them forever? I hope so and that'd be a nice perk.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:54 pm 

What? You keep the free games. They're free games, not timed demos or something.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:14 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
Welp, I beat Bloodborne. I spent 2 hours last night doing chalice dungeons; then 30 minutes beating the game. I guess I was that close before I left for my little trip.

The chalice dungeons are underwhelming right now. Maybe once I understand them more and how they work they'll be more intriguing. The ending (the entire ending sequence mind you, not just the "ending") was also somewhat underwhelming.

Overall the game is a step forward in terms of combat and setting. From Soft is really starting to carve it's niche regarding this genre but this game was surprisingly light on content. I beat Bloodborne in about a fourth of the time it took me to beat Dark Souls... and I hate to sound like that hipster... but it was pretty easy too. I died a lot, lot less than I did in any Souls game and no one boss took me more than a dozen tries.

(Granted, speedy dex builds built for dodging were always my Souls forte. I didn't rely on turtling at all so Bloodborne felt very natural for me.)

Chalice dungeons are really boring at first. I think they are meant to be played as soon as you unlock their respective chalices, I guess doing Pthumeru depths 1-3 after beating BSB would be actually challenging but by the end-game they'll be piss easy and therefore boring.

However, depths 4 and 5 are another matter, and this is where they get more tense and more interesting. The bosses get really vicious too.

As for the main game, saying "it's getting easy" and then following up by something referring to "a dozen try" is kinda funny. :P Personally no main game boss took me remotely that many tries (the only ones that did are the last 2 bosses of the Defiled Chalice Dungeon), and most of them I got in one try. So I could bitch about the bosses being too easy but I don't think you could get away with that. :P

Personally I found most of the bosses too easy, but the normal enemies to be more dangerous than most Souls games. I lost more bloodstains than in any other previous games (I include breaking the protection/sacrifice rings here), but I got bosses more easily. There are also surprisingly few fatal falls. Most of my deaths in Dark Souls 2 (outside of the DLCs) were from falls, I think. :lol:

DeathspellDelta wrote:
NG+ is trash. The enemies have too much health and fights get ridiculously boring.

Really? I found NG+ to be actually really easy compared to Souls NG+... I was mowing shit down so easily with my Burial Blade. Are you capping your level or something?

Xeogred wrote:
Finally got PS Plus too... so after getting it I have to ask, is it only the free stuff that you obviously can't keep? Makes sense. But now, can I take advantage of PS Plus prices for downloadable games, and keep them forever? I hope so and that'd be a nice perk.

Err...?
If you buy anything (whether it's discounted from PS+, a sale, or both, or neither), it's yours forever.
If you add a PS+ monthly freebie to your library, it's yours to play for as long as you wish, so long as you have a PS+ subscription. If it expires, you lose access to those games, but if you renew it later, they'll be available again.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:17 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:

Man I think Bloodborne is a masterpiece: more than once the level design gave me the same thrill I experienced with the Firelink Shrine; the combat is vastly improved; the enemies and bosses are fascinating and intimidating. I also thought it was at least as tough as Dark Souls (DS2 was piss-easy). And the lore is much, much deeper than I initially thought.

Plus I can think of at least three items the Bloodborne community hasn't yet figured out, no one has yet discovered the true nature of beasthood, and I don't think we've found all the covenants, so a lot remains to be discovered.

I wish I'd looked into the Chalice Dungeons earlier though since I out-levelled a bunch of them. But at least you can add things to the ritual to make them tougher!

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 am 

Finally got the platinum trophy this weekend. I tried to do my NG++ playthrough as quickly as possible and it surprised me how fast you can finish the game if you ignore all the optional areas. After Rom you can easily get through the rest of the game within a couple hours.

I agree the chalice dungeons are pretty dull at the beginning; I also put them off a little too long and breezed through the first three. Defiled Chalice was damn hard though and Pthumeru Ithyll was pretty tough as well. I'm gonna spend some time with the root chalices since I haven't tried any of those yet, and I'm also starting Scholar of the First Sin which has been pretty decent so far.

On a side note, I wish I had done the Pthumeru Ithyll stuff AFTER finishing my third playthrough, because my platinum trophy screenshot is just a picture of the ending credits. :fuck:

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:47 am 

darkeningday wrote:
MorbidEngel wrote:

What system will you be playing it on? If you have a PS4, XBONE or a modern gaming PC, SotFS is absolutely the one you should be going for. However, if you're playing on a PS3 or XBOX360 and can pick it up used on the cheap, that might be your best bet. But keep in mind that the getting all 3 DLC packs will run you an extra $30 on top of the cost of the base game.

Steam. I'm gonna order a PS3 this week actually (I can get a used 500GB for $190), but I'm still probably gonna get it for Steam.

I know the DLC is an extra $30 though, but since the DLC isn't on the same store page as SotFS ( store.steampowered.com/app/335300/ ) so I don't know if that's included. If it IS, then that's a done deal for me.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:17 pm 

@MorbidEngel -- Yeah SotFS definitely includes all the DLC and apparently some other new stuff that isn't included in the original game at all. Definitely worth it if you don't already own the original game.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:43 pm 

Whoa

I'm getting that then

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:57 pm 

Just beat Shadow of Yharnam last night, and I noticed:

so each time I attempted the fight, I've killed two of the Three Stooges in a different order. But I finally beat the boss after leaving the one with the flaming sword for last, and I swear all he did was try to sidestep me...didn't try to attack me whatsoever, so I cornered him and made quick work of him. Is this supposed to happen like that? Either way, I'm glad I can move forward from that fight...

@Xeogred: will do!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:23 pm 

ingmar birdman wrote:
On a side note, I wish I had done the Pthumeru Ithyll stuff AFTER finishing my third playthrough, because my platinum trophy screenshot is just a picture of the ending credits. :fuck:

Man, I can't imagine giving a single shit about things like that... how do you people get so neurotic? lol

MorbidEngel wrote:
Whoa

I'm getting that then

Yeah, it's a no brainer. Especially if your other choice was the PS3 version, since it won't be 1080p/60fps.

Dragunov wrote:
Just beat Shadow of Yharnam last night, and I noticed:

so each time I attempted the fight, I've killed two of the Three Stooges in a different order. But I finally beat the boss after leaving the one with the flaming sword for last, and I swear all he did was try to sidestep me...didn't try to attack me whatsoever, so I cornered him and made quick work of him. Is this supposed to happen like that? Either way, I'm glad I can move forward from that fight...

@Xeogred: will do!

Could it be the memory leak glitch, maybe?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 pm 

I just want a nice screenshot to show my grandkids someday, you know?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690 ... 940  Next