Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

yentass wrote:
Off the topic of Dark Souls - what do you guys make of the recent Phil Fish incident (summarised pretty well in this video; you can't get better than that since Fish made his twitter account private)?

It's too bad, he's a great designer... but damn, what a drama queen. Just fucking ignore people and work on your game. Stopping provoking them in the first place might also help.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:34 pm 

all this talk has made me want to try dark soul's 2, i am not great at RPG's so what would be a good newbie class to start off with?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
all this talk has made me want to try dark soul's 2, i am not great at RPG's so what would be a good newbie class to start off with?

Pyromancer or sorcerer. Magic is easy mode in both Demon's and Dark Souls (though moreso in Demon's, Royalty = OP). If you want to go more melee, bandit or wanderer are probably decent choices.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Pyromancer or sorcerer. Magic is easy mode in both Demon's and Dark Souls (though moreso in Demon's, Royalty = OP). If you want to go more melee, bandit or wanderer are probably decent choices.

thank you, once i complete dishonored i will start on dark souls(will try a harder class afterwards)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm 

To be clear, class doesn't matter so much as you can turn any class into any build you'd like. But for the beginning of the game it's probably easier to start with those.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:23 pm 

thanks, it looks like a massive game

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:02 am 

La-Mulana might be too hard for me. :( I struggled like an idiot against the second boss (well, it's not linear so he might not be the second boss for everyone, but I'm talking about the giant Sakit) and finally took him down and felt like a champ... only to completely get pwned by the boss in the Temple of the Sun over and over again. Gah.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 am 

Well, you made it farther than I did. I only remember killing one boss.

Thrash Til Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:09 am 

Borderlands and Borderlands 2. I enjoy the whole concept of the two games, plus all the pop culture references are amusing.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 am 

Morrigan wrote:
La-Mulana might be too hard for me. :( I struggled like an idiot against the second boss (well, it's not linear so he might not be the second boss for everyone, but I'm talking about the giant Sakit) and finally took him down and felt like a champ... only to completely get pwned by the boss in the Temple of the Sun over and over again. Gah.

Aaaand Ellmac (that was his name apparently) finally down! Onwards to the Spring in the Sky, and now a giant fish (probably Oannes) just pwned me. I wonder how many tries this one will take. :lol: Though overall I found the dungeon much easier than the Temple of the Sun, so maybe the boss will be too...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 am 

Bought the Worms Collection for the 360. Worms Armageddon was pretty much one of the cores of my childhood, so it's a blast to play again.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:16 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
thank you, once i complete dishonored i will start on dark souls(will try a harder class afterwards)

I will do the same I think.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

I will do the same I think.

complete dishonored or start on dark souls? i completed dishonored but i am going to do a low chaos run on it(did high chaos before) its a lot of fun, i also suck at stealth games so its a great challenge for me and very rewarding when i actually complete something stealthily

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 pm 

Yeah, both, I'm also playing Dishonored atm. Stealth & completely nonlethal, just like I did Thief. Thief was a much better stealth game of course, but it didn't have blink and possession which are a lot of fun.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 pm 

So looks like GTAV is not going to be censored in Australia at all which is really surprising considering Saints Row 4 was banned for Drug use (sexual violence as well I guess).

I love how Drug Use has a higher impact than violence.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 pm 

Can't see video game characters doing drugs man, dem kids might go smoke some weed.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm 

They should start reusing these

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
So looks like GTAV is not going to be censored in Australia at all which is really surprising considering Saints Row 4 was banned for Drug use (sexual violence as well I guess).

Maybe the line is how drug use is portrayed. Saints Row is the type of game that would portray drug use as a positive thing by giving the player buffs. In GTA's portrayals, alcohol and marijuana are pretty much just there, while cocaine, meth, and PCP eventually takes it's toll on characters who are heavy users as the story goes on. I recall Niko and CJ being completely against drugs.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:06 am 

There are many things that Saints Row rewards, few of which can be described as "sane" or "non-homicidal" or "possible according to known physics".

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 am 

Adriankat wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Maybe the line is how drug use is portrayed. Saints Row is the type of game that would portray drug use as a positive thing by giving the player buffs. In GTA's portrayals, alcohol and marijuana are pretty much just there, while cocaine, meth, and PCP eventually takes it's toll on characters who are heavy users as the story goes on. I recall Niko and CJ being completely against drugs.

I remember in the 3rd GTA, they blamed drug abuse on why Grove Street broke up instead of running like kings.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:24 pm 

Sen's Fortress...Three days of trial and error and I can practically do the place blindfolded now.

Spoiler: show
Hint: Kiting the lizardmen into the traps makes it waaaaay easier.

Now I just have to beat the damn iron golem up top...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 pm 

Anyone getting Dragon's Crown next week? Looks amazing.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm 

Not next week, but after my month's pay for sure
It better be real good, because I've been hyped for this game since last year.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:38 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Anyone getting Dragon's Crown next week? Looks amazing.

I am. Pretty jazzed about it. Was a huge fan of the old Capcom fantasy beat 'em up / RPGs (King of Dragons, D&D, etc), and this looks like a fantastic expansion of that style of game.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Sen's Fortress...Three days of trial and error and I can practically do the place blindfolded now.

Hint: Kiting the lizardmen into the traps makes it waaaaay easier.

Which class are you using? I beat it on my first try by
using Iron Flesh then going crazy with Combustion/Great Combustion.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:32 am 

Dragon's Crown seems to be really fun game, totally waiting for it but no concrete EU release date yet dammit. Import would be too much of a hassle so I just gotta wait for now.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:09 am 

Y'all need to be playing the new Rise of the Triad game, absolutely fantastic stuff.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm 

Ball Cupper wrote:
Y'all need to be playing the new Rise of the Triad game, absolutely fantastic stuff.

I saw that come up on Steam and I must say I am interested... I was so crap at the original, but I still kinda enjoyed it - the idea and the aesthetics. I guess I must have been about 10 at that point though and Doom and Wolf3d were consuming my time and RotT got a bit forgotten, unsurprisingly. Speaking of which, I'm very tempted by at least some of the items in the big Id software sale - but I doubt they've actually changed any of the old games to add decent mouselook or anything.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:54 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Speaking of which, I'm very tempted by at least some of the items in the big Id software sale - but I doubt they've actually changed any of the old games to add decent mouselook or anything.

Don't be silly, there are tons of Doom engine source ports that add more modern features like mouselook to the games (I use ZDoom, personally). They work fine with the Steam version, so I'd say definitely get the Doom pack. Still one of the best pure action shooters around after all these years.

Well actually, I hope you got it an hour ago, 'cause the id day of the sale is over now...

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:06 pm 

If only we could get a good source port for Dark Forces. There exists at least one, but it remains unfinished. :(

A damn shame, because all I really want out of it is the ability to crank up the turning speed far beyond what the game originally limits you to. I bought it from Steam several years ago and found it to be basically unplayable.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 pm 

I've been playing Condemned: Criminal Origins since I got it on Steam's summer sale, and I enjoyed throughly the game's atmopshere, and busting hobo heads with pipes and 2x4 is plenty of fun, but the it's ending is one of the most frustrating i've ever played, it shifts to a horror game with melee combat to a 1st beat 'em up and it's completely terrible from this point onwards. You are forced to play the game as if it was a beat 'em up, and you can tell the engine was not meant to be used like this, your hits and defenses are unresponsive to a fault and require absolute perfect timing with the tougher enemies of later levels, plus any kind of atmosphere is gone when you are forced to confront enemies that appear on every corner.

I still liked the game as a whole despite the frustatring end game, and I look forward to playing the sequel once I find it. Apparently, the combat mechanics has been polished on Condemned 2, so maybe it won't be as a tiresome as the first one in combat heavy situations.

Last edited by Marag on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:12 pm 

Oh yeah, the combat in Condemned 2 is mucho improved. I just wish they made it for PC, as I hate playing first person games with a controller.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:23 am 

Condemned 2 is a great improvement, combat is solid and controls have been streamlined, which is always a big plus. Some great moments to be found too like the part where
the unholiest and most downright evil creature chases you around (a grisly bear), which the game announces by a loud breaking noise and smearing "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE" on your screen before you have any idea what's going on.

Oh, but the endgame. The endgame goes off the rails in ways only surpassed by MGS2's final hours. And it blows.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:09 am 

...and attempt number god-knows at the perfect (all items) Final Fantasy Tactics file begins...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:10 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Oh, you're so going to miss this guy once you're past him...
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
wrathchild_88 wrote:
Speaking of which, I'm very tempted by at least some of the items in the big Id software sale - but I doubt they've actually changed any of the old games to add decent mouselook or anything.

Don't be silly, there are tons of Doom engine source ports that add more modern features like mouselook to the games (I use ZDoom, personally). They work fine with the Steam version, so I'd say definitely get the Doom pack. Still one of the best pure action shooters around after all these years.

Well actually, I hope you got it an hour ago, 'cause the id day of the sale is over now...

I actually use ZdoomGl too, but I found it was quite buggy and crashed a lot. I've already got all the original games, I was just hoping there was an Id-made mouselook update that would be more stable and I would have no problems forking over a few extra quid for some of the best games ever if they were updated properly. But maybe it was silly to hope for that...

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 pm 

:???:

ZDoom has not once crashed on me, and I've never encountered any bugs either.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:44 pm 

Well, I'm down in The Depths now. I've swapped off my Knight's Armor in favor of the much lighter leather armor, since I realized the hard way the importance of being light on your feet. Still holding on to the heavier armor until such time as I get my endurance up higher and can afford the higher weight. Anyway, I'm not a fan of The Depths. I never really enjoyed murky dungeons in video games, and I don't dig these enemies.

Recounting some past experiences:
I dealt with the Capra Demon pretty easily. Most annoying thing about him was the small space in which you fight him. Kept backing myself into corners. The Moonlight Butterfly was... heh, honestly, I took the cheap way out and summoned Beatrice, who kicked the living shit out of that butterfly. All I had to do was roll around and occasionally sneak in a few hits whenever the butterfly landed on the bridge. The biggest pain in my ass so far in the game though? The fucking Titanite Demon by Andrei the blacksmith. He kept killing me because I was so damn slow with that heavy armor, so finally I took off all my armor (I didn't have any lighter armor on me at this point), and that did the trick. It was rather silly watching my naked knight roll around with a shield and a halberd taking potshots at this huge monster. :lol:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:18 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
:???:

ZDoom has not once crashed on me, and I've never encountered any bugs either.

Yeah, you'd have to be giving Zdoom some ridiculous parameters or something to make it crash. I've been using Zdoom for a decade and I've never had problems with the source port itself. The problems I did have were due to buggy scripts from the .wads I was running, basically user error.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:43 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
The Moonlight Butterfly was... heh, honestly, I took the cheap way out and summoned Beatrice, who kicked the living shit out of that butterfly.
l:

Haha Beatrice pretty much wins the fight herself, it's a non-fight if you summon her

And you are not the only one who dislike The Depths. Fucking sewer levels...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508, 509 ... 940  Next