Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 am 

Posting because it's the 20000th reply and I thought that would be cool. Also: playing Tiberian Sun again, and what a game. I'm nowhere near the master of it that I am at Red Alert 2, though. But yeah, love that dark atmosphere, the somewhat unusual tanks/people etc. at my disposal and that cool mix between cheesy as fuck sci-fi and actually quite cool post-apocalyptic stuff that it is. Wonderful game, and what a shame 3 sucked so much. Haven't played C&C 4, can't really bring myself to do it.

KANE LIVES IN DEATH, etc.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:19 am 

3 was good, 4 was VERY average.

Tiberium Sun was/is indeed the tits though. Such a cool game, just gotta remember to drop concrete when playing against Nod!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 am 

Tiberian Sun / Firestorm rules. I still have my copies that I bought in 2000. Have it installed on my comp and played it last year in full. It's easily the best one in the sub-series and to me one of the top ones in the C&C series in general.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 am 

LOVE those early C&C games, I just recently re-bought the original Command and Conquer and Red Alert retaliation on the PS1 (because who still has a working windows 95 anymore? sucks though because the playstation controller doesn't work nearly as well as a mouse). Tiberian Sun will always be one of the best RTS games ever, and in general one of the best games ever, it's up there with Gothic 1 and 2 on my list, both of which I still play on a frequent basis.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:59 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
I have no idea what my "greatest gaming achievement" would be.... if I ever beat Dark Souls at level 1 (I'm only at Anor Londo yet), would that count?

I thought we were talking the ones the game companies say you do.

Nah, of course not. In-game achievements and trophies are stupid arbitrary bullshit. ;) I mean actual achievements. I can't really say I have one. Winning a few Demon's Souls PvP tourneys? lol, nah, really not that impressive.

I beat Alundra without any help back in the day. It's not hard like NES games or anything but it was pretty challenging overall, with some dungeons having maddening puzzles, so I was pretty proud of myself, especially since I'm fairly bad in most games. If a game has a hard mode I almost never use it, but I did beat Silent Hill 1 on hard without much difficulty (after beating it on Normal beforehand of course). Also the first two Gears of War games on Insane, but I played them coop with HellBlazer.

Oh, and the only 8-bit game I've ever completed is Phantasy Star (not counting the Game Gear Shining Force games which ran on 8-bit hardware but were closer to Genesis-style games than Master System in terms of difficulty and interface). I played it on emulator but I never cheated or anything, and drew all the dungeon maps by hand myself. It's not really hard so much as it requires a lot of patience, but for some reason I was really motivated. Maybe that counts as an achievement? I dunno... I'm bad at games. :D

Quote:
Beating Ninja Gaiden [...] If you die on the final boss in Ninja Gaiden you start all over again on the final world. The hard as nails final area where everything knocks you off the ledges to your death, traps you in the corner and hits you all over till you die, and so on. Yep if you die on the final boss you have to do that all over again. Once in my life and never again.

Haha yeah I remember when HellBlazer did that years ago. I think he stayed up til like 6 in the morning and finally beat it.

Quote:
Beating a game used to be an achievement. Now it's mostly given you're going to beat a game.

Not with me, but that's usually just because I get bored with it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:08 pm 

I cannot decide whether I enjoyed Tiberian Sun or Tiberian Wars more. I definitely preferred the bleaker atmosphere of Sun, music too. Gameplay might give an edge to Wars, even if the main campaign became an extreme pain in the ass once the Scrim showed up (I was never able to finish the Nod one).

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm 

Scrin, dammit :grr: .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:36 pm 

Final Fantasy 7 is now for sale on Steam.

Gonna buy that shit and play it again. One of my top 3 favorite games.

Also, has anyone played Brutal Doom? I saw a preview for it on youtube and it looks pretty damn cool.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:56 pm 

I reinstalled Medal of Honor: Allied Assault yesterday, and I feel 10 years younger already. :D

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Also, has anyone played Brutal Doom? I saw a preview for it on youtube and it looks pretty damn cool.

It's pretty cool. Everything is beefier, really; new attacks for some monsters, you get a full auto-rifle instead of the crappy pistol, the gore is satisfying, fatalities.

It requires you to use mouselook though.

Brutal Hexen is being made (haven't played the beta yet), not sure when it's going to be completed. The guy that does those mods made a youtube comment sometime in December saying he wanted to have it finished within a month, but as far as I know, it's still not done.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:30 pm 

Brutal Doom is my absolute favorite Doom mod, and I've played a lot of them. As Foulchrist said, it requires mouselook and you also need to turn off autoaim too I believe. Just avoid jumping (generally in maps made without jumping in mind), that shit cheating.

While you're checking out Doom mods, check out Action Doom and Action Doom 2. The first one is basically a first person Contra+Metal Slug and the latter is a first person Final Fight. The first one requires a specific version of ZDoom though or some scripted events don't work, keep that in mind.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:18 pm 

Anyone interested in Dragon's Crown? Considering pre-ordering it. I'm pretty sure I won't play as the sorceress, since those jiggling boobs are gonna be so distracting :lol: i watched that class breakdown on IGN and I think the elf or warrior sound like my best picks. Game looks gorgeous and sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully it'll be less repetitive than Muramasa and more balanced than Odin's Sphere, anyway.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 pm 

I thought Dragon's Crown was released already? I've been hearing about it for quite some time, figured it was out by now.
If it is on the same level as Muramasa, as repetitive as it was, I'll still enjoy it a lot. My first choices for character will probably be either elf or amazon.

Those fucking characters designs though :lol: To say nothing of the sorceress and amazon's tits'n'ass, the fighter and dwarf have the upper bodies the size of a truck.

On an unrelated note I've picked Dragon's Dogma for the first time yesterday, having lots of fun so far.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 pm 

Looks like the new Civilization 5 expansion unlocks in an hour or so. Hopefully it'll be good. I've spent more time on this game than I'd care to admit (same goes with all previous installments, really).

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:38 am 

Marag wrote:
I thought Dragon's Crown was released already? I've been hearing about it for quite some time, figured it was out by now.
If it is on the same level as Muramasa, as repetitive as it was, I'll still enjoy it a lot. My first choices for character will probably be either elf or amazon.

Those fucking characters designs though :lol: To say nothing of the sorceress and amazon's tits'n'ass, the fighter and dwarf have the upper bodies the size of a truck.

On an unrelated note I've picked Dragon's Dogma for the first time yesterday, having lots of fun so far.

The Amazon is semi-realistic. I was watching nature documentaries on youtube last night and came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFf5K75UWjQ

Look how big that butt is on that native Bushman....Bushwoman? And WTF at the girl riling up cheetahs like that. Stupid.

I'll wait for Dragon's Crown reviews. My playstyle would probably prompt me to use the elf or sorceress. If combos are fun, elf. If magic is fun, sorceress.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 pm 

Looks like this will be Rockstar's magnum opus. Perfect game to end this console generation with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 pm 

You know what would be cool? A game that's a mix of fighting and rpg. Like say you can go around and explore caves, dungeons, etc. ( general fantasy rpg faire) but actual battles would be in a fighting game style (tekken, king of fighters, street fighter, etc.). But you could equip your characters with different armor, weapons, etc. all giving usable and giving advantages in the fight. Now, that would be the shit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
You know what would be cool? A game that's a mix of fighting and rpg. Like say you can go around and explore caves, dungeons, etc. ( general fantasy rpg faire) but actual battles would be in a fighting game style (tekken, king of fighters, street fighter, etc.). But you could equip your characters with different armor, weapons, etc. all giving usable and giving advantages in the fight. Now, that would be the shit.

BastardHead, February 10th, 2011 wrote:
You know what kind of game I would play to death or design if I had the know how? One of those corny RPGs that I love so much, but with a battle system akin to a fighting game. Like instead of a turn based battle system or a real time MMO type thing, the screen would shift to a completely different perspective and turn into something like Marvel VS Capcom when you entered fights. You could switch out characters at will, but fighting would be fast paced and based on your skill in conjunction with your character's level. Instead of spells, you learn new special moves. Like you start with a simple hadouken after a few levels, and by endgame you could have an arsenal of complex combos and screen filling meteor showers. This could also add a huge challenge since this introduces the ability to block, which would add much more strategy in how aggressive you try to attack. Seriously, I would play a game like this until the world ended, it sounds awesome.

If such a thing exists, please point me to it.

Apparently there is no such thing :(
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:03 pm 

Holy shit dude, it sucks that their isn't but I'm seriously happy I'm not the only guy who wants a game like this! I think the inclusion of magic could be down with great effect (having to do certain combos to do certain spells, etc.)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:33 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Looks like this will be Rockstar's magnum opus. Perfect game to end this console generation with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Huh, lots of interesting features. I found none of those three main characters likeable, but then again I'm usually swayed when I'm playing the game. The three-story seems like a neat endeavor but I don't know if a GTA game is the best to go for it. Not only that, but it would have been more proper to allow the switching / controlling of characters during missions and not just as a whole game crutch. The game itself looks great but we'll see just how much can actually be done and whether we'll want to actually do any of it (hunting, really?).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
HellishHound wrote:

You know what kind of game I would play to death or design if I had the know how? One of those corny RPGs that I love so much, but with a battle system akin to a fighting game. Like instead of a turn based battle system or a real time MMO type thing, the screen would shift to a completely different perspective and turn into something like Marvel VS Capcom when you entered fights. You could switch out characters at will, but fighting would be fast paced and based on your skill in conjunction with your character's level. Instead of spells, you learn new special moves. Like you start with a simple hadouken after a few levels, and by endgame you could have an arsenal of complex combos and screen filling meteor showers. This could also add a huge challenge since this introduces the ability to block, which would add much more strategy in how aggressive you try to attack. Seriously, I would play a game like this until the world ended, it sounds awesome.

Well, 2+ years seems like a reasonable time to acquire the know how, so what have you been doing with it? Get to it! :P
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:10 pm 

HellishHound wrote:

I don't know of a game that fits your criteria perfectly, but the closest that come to mind are:
- Guardian Heroes: 2D fighting game-styled combat in a side-scrolling adventure with branching paths and light stat attribution (no equipment though)
- Demon's/Dark Souls: not Tekken-like fighting, but it does require decent timing with hits and dodges, it has and stamina management (so you can't just spam attacks and button mash), each weapon type has a different moveset (in terms of speed, range, type of swing (horizontal vs vertical vs thrust etc.), weight of the hits, combo capability, knockdown and/or stunlock capability, etc.), and it of course has the full RPG dimension.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 pm 

Downloaded Crash Bandicoot from PSN, wow that game is really hard. Much harder than Crash 2 or Crash 3 seriously!!

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
HellishHound wrote:

Not sure how much this will help, but here goes.

A pair of games exist for the DS called Draglade (second one was never released in the US) that combine side scrolling / beat 'em up / fighting with some RPGs elements. Additionally, there's an import game called Croket! on the DS that mixes Strategy RPG battles with the combat being a Smash Bros-like fighting game.

The aforementioned Guardian Heroes is a solid idea for the branching paths and stat boosting. Related to it is Code of Princess on 3DS. You can also try the recently released Project X Zone crossover for 3DS, which uses Strategy RPG gameplay with what appear to be fighting game-esque moves (but I can't completely verify that).

Also worth considering is the Final Fantasy Dissidia on PSP, Flying Dragon on N64, the Dungeons & Dragons Capcom side scrollers (beat 'em up RPGs). There's also Fist of the North Star and other Dynasty Warriors games, which combine beat 'em ups / fighting with RPG elements, albeit not in the way you describe. Maybe the Tales series, though the fighting in isn't particularly complex.

None of these really meet your criteria 100% (and some aren't super great), but some of them might scratch the itch for a little.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 pm 

The new GTA V trailer is amazing. I can't wait for September.

Hopefully it can get released in Australia without any changes, the Aussie classification cunts seem to get all antsy when drugs are involved.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm 

Yeah, it looks fucking epic!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:50 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
The new GTA V trailer is amazing. I can't wait for September.

Hopefully it can get released in Australia without any changes, the Aussie classification cunts seem to get all antsy when drugs are involved.

its got banned(and then censored) in Australia written all over it pity but i hope not

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 pm 

Remember how Fallout 3 was refused classification because morphine was in the game, and all Bethesda had to do was rename it into Med-X? Turn the marijuana dispensaries and smoke shops into incense shops. Now you got yourself a game that you can sell in Australia!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 am 

Well I know Demon's/Dark Souls, and while I've only played the first one, it's definitely not the kind of thing I was hoping for (though they are cool (never got Morri level obsessed though :p)). And I'm a giant fan of Koei's Warrior games (Dynasty, Samurai, and Orochi), but again, not what I described, obviously. It's a neat idea and I'd love to see somebody give it a whirl. Sadly the closest I've ever seen to my vision is the Konquest mode in Mortal Kombat: Deception.

Actually... one of my friends works for Netherrealm Studios now....
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:45 am 

Damn, I was totally gunna suggest MK:D, as that is also the closest I've seen to what you guys described.

I REALLY want to get some component cables + digital audio port for my Xbox so I can replay some games. Mortal Kombat: Deception, Black, Crimson Skies, Enter the Matrix, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory all need some re-lovin'!

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:16 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Remember how Fallout 3 was refused classification because morphine was in the game, and all Bethesda had to do was rename it into Med-X? Turn the marijuana dispensaries and smoke shops into incense shops. Now you got yourself a game that you can sell in Australia!

hopefully they just change a few names around

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 am 

They should just rotate names so you end up with marijuana injections and smokable prozac.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 am 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Downloaded Crash Bandicoot from PSN, wow that game is really hard. Much harder than Crash 2 or Crash 3 seriously!!

This should help you out...a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-h4M4Aetg

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:57 pm 

Looks like GTAV and Carcass' "Surgical Steel" are releasing the same day (N. America anyway). Not sure which to give my attention to first on 9/17.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:41 pm 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... urn-Of-DRM

The stupidity of people never fails to amaze me.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:54 am 

I'd recommend going to the petition's page and read some of the supporters' quips. Not all hope is lost, I assure you.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:04 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

That would take the fun out of it though :( I finally passed the level I was stuck on :-D I played and passed Crash 2 and Crash 3 but I am seriously struggling with this. The save system kills me because it's so infrequent whereas in the sequels you can save as much as you want. I have passed both Abe's Oddysee and Exodus and I can tell you they're hard but Crash 1 is magnitudes more difficult.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:16 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

That would take the fun out of it though :( I finally passed the level I was stuck on :-D I played and passed Crash 2 and Crash 3 but I am seriously struggling with this. The save system kills me because it's so infrequent whereas in the sequels you can save as much as you want. I have passed both Abe's Oddysee and Exodus and I can tell you they're hard but Crash 1 is magnitudes more difficult.

The save system in Crash 1 is a bit of an asshole. The fact that you can only save by finishing a bonus round (which vanishes after you beat it) or via a gem means that the game essentially has a perishable number of saves. You'll find yourself quitting out right after getting a gem, usually, rather than setting your "okay, I'll stop here for today" schedule at your leisure.

Oh, that's another thing. In Crash 1, you can only get a gem if you complete a level without dying, in addition to getting all the boxes; compare this to Crash 2 and 3, which removed the no-dying stipulation. It sounds on the surface like a reasonable challenge, but it gets pretty maddening when you start missing those tricky jumps by like a pixel and then you have to start the whole level over.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm 

I don't recall that about the saves, but I think I had passwords back then cause I didn't even have a memory card. :lol: Crash 1 was my first PS1 game. Then we got Legacy of Kain, and that was unplayable without a memory card so we had no choice but to get one, and after that, Wild ARMs and FF7. Ah, the memories...

Speaking of PS1 classics, Happy Suikoden Day, everyone!

(Wait, what? Yep: http://kotaku.com/today-is-suikoden-day-746660185 )

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Speaking of PS1 classics, Happy Suikoden Day, everyone!

(Wait, what? Yep: http://kotaku.com/today-is-suikoden-day-746660185 )

I spent all day at work, unable to celebrate :(

I have Suikoden III, maybe I should get around to getting past the first chapter one of these days...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504 ... 940  Next