Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:30 am 

So for a post NOT about women or misogyny...

Any thoughts on Alien Isolation?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:38 am 

I'm currently watching a let's play of it, since I'm far too much of a pussy to play it myself, and so far it's looking pretty damn sweet. The lighting in particular is really good and moody and even though the Alien hasn't made an entrance yet, the atmosphere is still really tense. It's looking good.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 am 

I thought Australians were immune to fear of living creatures...
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:56 am 

Yeah BSS, you're a disgrace to your nation! :-P

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 am 

To be fair, he's from Tasmania, which I don't consider a part of the country.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 am 

Not to mention that we don't even have all the big scary animals the rest of the country has.

Anyway, I just watched another scene in Isolation that involved sneaking past a group of humans... yeah, easy to tell what the weak parts of the game will be. That broken AI, man. From what I saw, they can spot him in complete darkness and hit him every time once, and then the next time they won't even see him with a goddamn flare out. Hopefully the Alien's AI is better.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:19 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to equate the two even though I think you are exaggerating just a teensy bit. But to say it doesn't exist a la Morrigan's post below is being disingenuous.

But I didn't say it didn't exist. I said it was a false equivalence.
Quote:
I think this kind of abuse is unfortunately commonplace on the internet where edgy teenagers are rampant.

If you think this is limited to teenagers, you are sadly mistaken.
Quote:
I'm not saying that none of this isn't coming from "Gamergaters" but I don't think it's as prevalent as people say it is.

And you base this on your careful and attentive following of the events...? Here's another good summary for y'all: http://www.clickhole.com/article/summar ... y-cha-1241

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
And Morrigan's posts are a pretty good example of why this whole controversy is so ultimately pointless. It consists of two "sides"

Let me stop you right there. That is simply not the case. There are no two sides. Enough with the false equivalences already.
There are a bunch of assholes who do nothing but either harass women in gaming and/or act defensive and say they aren't doing it. And there's everyone else. It's really that simple. You would know this if you had actually been paying attention. It was never about ethics in journalism. Right now, the only other thing Gamergate is doing is trying to perpetuate itself.

It's the "teach the controversy" nonsense all over again. Except instead of pushing a creationist agenda in schools, or pretending climate change isn't real, their agenda is to harass and silence women's voices. Meanwhile the rest of the world shake their head in disgust.

I find it somewhat comical, however, that you flatly declare that "both sides" generalize about the other, which means you're also generalizing, which makes you a... hypocrite? :lol:

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Any possibility of anything productive coming out of these "movements" died a long time ago.

What "movements"? If gamergate is a movement, then yes, it never did anything productive because it was rooted in misogyny from the very start (the first use of the hashtag on Twitter was by Adam Baldwin trying to demonize a female indie dev). If you mean the movement of feminism, then I beg to differ.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:39 am 

Morrigan wrote:
It was never about ethics in journalism.

I think it was for all of 10 minutes before someone realised a WOMAN (was that Zoe Quinn? I didn't follow it all that closely to be honest) of all people wasn't being ethical. It seems like some people just can't handle women doing things. Pun definitely intended.

It was nice of the Escapist (the only games journalism place I visit anyway) to disclose their dealings with publishers and whatever and hopefully a few other outlets will do the same. It's really not that hard.

The whole SJW thing that sort of came from this greatly amused me as well. I just don't understand how "Social Justice" could possibly be perceived as a bad thing.

Anyway, I've finished Bioshock and moved onto Bioshock 2. So far it seems like pretty much the same game, which is fun enough, but buck I hate this new hacking minigame. The minigame in the first game did get a little tedious, but at least you had to think about it slightly. This one is all about reaction times and I suck. Suck like a fox!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
I just don't understand how "Social Justice" could possibly be perceived as a bad thing.

Haven't you heard? Liberals are destroying your freedom of speech with political correctness! Soon people will have to go to jail just for spreading the truth about Obama being a Kenian Muslim! Goddamn Muslims, der terk er jerbs!

Same thought process.

So, gaming. Been playing Warioland 1&2. Would it be going out on a limb to call them the best GB(C) games ever? Admittedly I remember them being a lot harder, but the series still has some of the most innovative gameplay ever. You can tell by how much the puzzle mechanics have been imitated in platformers ever since. The concept just doesn't get old.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
It was never about ethics in journalism.

I think it was for all of 10 minutes before someone realised a WOMAN (was that Zoe Quinn? I didn't follow it all that closely to be honest) of all people wasn't being ethical. It seems like some people just can't handle women doing things. Pun definitely intended.

The worst part is that... she wasn't being unethical. She isn't even a journalist, she's a developer, and the accusations against her were debunked as completely false. The only journalist she did briefly have a relationship with, never even reviewed her game, and her game is free anyway so it's not like she SLEPT WITH HIM FOR MONEY FOR HER GAME or whatever idiotic mental gymnastics gaters come up with. And of course, the journalist in question was never harassed, doxxed, threatened, etc.

Okay, I spent way too much time talking about this, but now I just have to post this... :lol: (source)
[Breaking Bad final episode spoilers!]
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Image Image

Perfection. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:48 pm 

By the way, posting this here as well as the Dark Souls threads, in case someone who hasn't played it yet is interested:

Dark Souls leaving GFWL, entering Steamworks next month

So, if anyone was still refusing to play the GotG because of GFWL, well, come November (no date specified yet, hopefully it's the 1st... xD), you won't have anymore excuses. Go!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:52 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The worst part is that... she wasn't being unethical.

Oh right, that is ...well I choose it to be funny for my own sanity.

Just bought Civ: Beyond Earth but I'm busy all damn weekend! Can't wait to sink another far-too-many-hours into another Civ game.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:52 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

:hyper: That's fantastic news! Soon the dying will commence.

Last edited by inhumanist on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:10 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
The whole SJW thing that sort of came from this greatly amused me as well. I just don't understand how "Social Justice" could possibly be perceived as a bad thing.

tumblr. tumblr fucked up everything.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm 

Eh. Irrational, zealous notions about what social justice should entail are a thing on that website, to be sure. But as usual with loud minorities it's completely blown out of proportion. When you give everyone with internet access a free platform to present their ideas to the masses, it'll always result in some misguided idiots suddenly getting attention. Now Tumblr happens to be a kind of sociotope where a progressive mindset is prevalent, so their idiots are people who subscribe to social justice memes without having really understood the reasoning they're based on, leading them to fallacious conclusions like assuming white "cis" males to be sexist, racist and homophobic until proven innocent.

To the idiots of 4chan and Reddit this is infinitely worse than birthism or homophobia because in their minds those groups are harmless crazies everyone's ignoring anyways. But "SJW"s are supposedly aided in their conquest of people's minds by the omnipresent political correctness, so they are perceived as an actual menace. Nevermind that's the complete opposite of reality, where right wing irrationals have real life political power and the social justice irrationals have to pretend they're saving the world by exchanging rants about properly gendered pronouns on the internet.

Last edited by inhumanist on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm 

I'd rather take a ranting person about how everything is offensive than an angry misogynist though, so there's that.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:37 pm 

Me too, but just to play devil's advocate, there definitely are some gormless, prattling, unthinking masses prone to violence on the feminist side, where stifling discussion of any POV that is in opposition to theirs is the only way to address it. But see, I think that this is more representative of the people themselves than the movement they represent; they're prone to extremism, for various psycho-and-sociological reasons. You know those kids who proudly walked around school with D.A.R.E. shirts and reported any student smoking a half-joint of reggies just outside school grounds to the principle and now, less than a decade later are seeking meth rehabilitation? Exactly the same thing.

I'm not educated enough on the Gamergate issue to determine if it's comparable, but I do think Morri is maybe being just a liiiiiittttllle bit on the reductive/"whitewashing the opposition" side of things. Those three women on HuffPo Live Ohrwurm posted (link here) indicates that there are semi-rational people who think Gamergate isn't exclusively an attack on women and feminism as a whole.

Personally, I think the well was poisoned from the get-go and Gamergate isn't the place to talk about journalistic ethics at all. But I also don't think every single point every single person ever raised throughout it was inherently bad.

But yeah I_A_V, Adam Baldwin fucking sucks. Firefly is very nearly ruined for me now. :(
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 am 

I've been curious about what all this #gamergate shits been about, and since I don't have anything better to do on a Friday night (or any night, really) I decided to ask google. Google says (in more or less words) #gamergate is a bunch of fedora-clad good guys who are damn tired of being "friend zoned" by left wing feminist militants and they want their shitty mid November blockbuster shit games to be untouched by the feminist menace and her influences. The term "gaming community" means Xbox live, right?

Seriously though, as soon as I read somone's ex "gf" was cheating on their "bf" was the main rallying cry for this, I basically lost all interest. Anybody that's going to get all hyped up and threaten a James Holmes-esque assault on feminists over something as petty as a free game called depression quest has more free time than me.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 am 

Some of these bosses in Bayonetta 2. I'm only at Chapter 4. Good lord.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:53 pm 

I didn't even finish the first chapter of Bayonetta 2 and I'm loving it. Exactly what I hoped for. Gorgeous visuals, Bayonetta herself included, a button mashing frenzy, side challenges, and just fun all around fun exploration in gorgeous and stylistic areas. I didn't try the online portion but it seems interesting. You bet halos and the more you bet the harder the coop challenge is but the more halos you can win in return. I'll definitely want to try that out after I beat it. But alas, I won't have time to play much this weekend since I work so at work I was playing some Resident Evil 2.

And wow.......I never played this before but this is classic survival horror just like Resident Evil. When I have one clip left, I don't want to enter an area full of enemies. Once I took down a pack of dogs with a knife and had to spam a few herb combinations to stay alive. I see zombies scattered about but I realize I should just run around them and conserve my ammo. Puzzles and hidden objects. It's just a wonderful classic horror game to play for around Halloween.

Bayonetta 2 and Resident Evil 2 combined finally took me away from my Dark Souls 2 DLC playing frenzy lately.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:07 pm 

I watched my friend play a lot of Bayonetta 2 last night... it looked legit, I'll have to get this one.

Fun fact: Kamiya (Bayonetta creator) was the main director for RE2 I believe. That game had the full dream team when you see the credits role, Kamiya, Inafune, and Mikami. None of them were attached to RE3 (I think Inafune might have been a producer but that's it) and it shows, haha. Kamiya was probably off doing Devil May Cry and Mikami on RE4, bigger and better things. RE3 is an obvious step down, but still worth a run and the backdrops are gorgeous. The only thing I knock on RE2 about is the short length, but if you do both campaigns I guess it adds up and it's very replayable anyways. The mansion is incredible and sets it apart from the rest, but I do like the grittier industrial environments of RE2 a lot.

Speaking of RE, I was coming here to post this anyways... the lost RE save room theme anyone?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm 

Played Bayonetta 2 yesterday at a friend's house and, let's just say that before that I wanted a WiiU. After that I need a Wii U.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 pm 

I have no idea what gamergate is and reading through the last few pages convinces me I am better off in my ignorance.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:27 pm 

Yeah. Just play games and have fun.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:36 pm 

What?! That's unthinkable! We must argue about it for 17 more pages!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 pm 

I've been pretty much ignoring all the Gamergate stuff. There will always be horrible people in every community. The sad thing is, it paints us all to be like that to the outside viewer. It's kinda reminiscent of my country actually!

The boss fights continue to impress in Bayo 2. The one in Chapter 10 felt like something that should be at the end of a game. I don't even think I'm halfway through the game yet. I don't want to blow through his game too quickly.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:16 pm 

I was also surprised how good my friend was doing with the gamepad. I've got a pro controller though so I'll be using that regardless. It's a shame the game utterly bombed in Japan, but if my friend is correct the first game only had an English dub, so maybe that completely ruined the series' chance in Japan from the start. Hopefully the second does well over here. I just wish Platinum could hit a bit of luck someday, haha... I predict their Legend of Korra(?) game will do well though. Bayonetta 2 has polish where it counts though and maybe they just really know how to budget their games accordingly, so they keep barely getting by.

That is one thing this gen did right across the board... the Xbone, PS4, and Wii U Pro controllers are absolutely fantastic. No idea which I'd pick as a favorite, they all rock.

Also checked out the Killer Instinct season 2 characters last night, Maya and TJ Combo are badass. I'm glad the new devs are handling it well so far. I wish I could like Fulgore but yeah, and Spinal just sucks to me. Definitely impressed with Maya and TJ though so I'm excited to see what the rest of the roster will be like.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:38 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
What?! That's unthinkable! We must argue about it for 17 more pages!

Now to be fair, very few of us have actually been arguing; aside from Ohrwurm's brief stint as Chairmen For The Under-Represented, no one has argued in support of #GG. We've mostly just been discussing it: where it came from, how it happened and what it means.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 pm 

Google this game... HATRED
Watch the trailer. Good grief. Reminds me of something called 'postal' from some years back.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 pm 

Well, that pretty much wrecked the rest of my day, so I may was well wreck all of yours too because misery needs company:

At least it's not really racist, homophobic or sexist like the Postal games. Well, at least not yet.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:08 pm 

Fuck yeah that looks awesome. I'm perfectly fine with this.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:17 pm 

Good lord. I'm almost afraid to say this, but that goes to far? Sure there is the indiscriminate killing of civilians a la GTA and Saints Row (obviously not serious and impersonal) but this takes the whole thing to another level. This just seem to be about killing innocent people who are pleading for their lives in the most depressing setting and in the most violent and personal ways. There's not even a higher goal or reason behind it. What the hell that would even be. Demonic possesion would be sort of valid I guess. Going from the trailer however, I can't see how any sane person would genuinely enjoy playing that game. Not that it should be censored or whatever, but damn.

However I do have to add that his hair looks like a octupus that died of malnourishment. An outreach from the devs to make the game lighter? I don't know.

From the devs:

"Destructive Creations' CEO felt that the trailer's "so called 'shock tactic' [did] its job very well", and added that the industry reaction to the trailer reflected the political correctness—"the way we are told and taught to think"—against which the game rebelled."

:durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr: :durr:

Last edited by henkkjelle on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 pm 

I'm with Henk, that looks way too over the top brutal. Killing for the sake of killing. No depth. There are lots of violent games, some more than this, so the release of it isn't anything to get worried about. Some fucko will take this literally though.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:37 pm 

I'd say there's pretty high appeal to the late-tweens to early-twenties "misunderstood" cis white lower-middle-class male gamers, who definitely make up a fucking HUGE percentage of the market. C'mon, we all have "that friend" who whenever you're over at his place is blasting grindcore out of his craptop speakers while beating the shit out of old ladies and hookers in sandbox games, right? This is just a slightly more cynical (and frank) attempt to tap that market. I have a feeling an entire subdivision of Rockstar Games was dedicated to designing and testing the "sociopathic aspects" of the game. I mean, when you really think about it, this is just GTA with the fat trimmed.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:40 pm 

Really though the only difference between this and say GTA, besides the isometric angle would be that they are more vocal. I mean, how many people have gone on GTA or Saints Row and just decided to run over people and get the highest wanted level? There is no goal or reason in those killings. Really the only thing different is that Hatred has more blood and instead of doing the whole mass-murder thing in a comedic take ala Saints Row, it is just making it dark and gritty. *shrug*

I'll play it, try to do some silly shit and most likely just go back to Saints Row 2.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm 

So do you think there's any difference between cartoon violence perfectly-mimicked violence?

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:44 pm 

Yeah, the tone. No matter what tone, comedic or dark you are still killing people in game. *shrug* What is the different between say, killing people in a dark tone with incendiary bullets and with comedic violence? One is makes killing more trivialized than the other.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:02 pm 

We had this with Mortal Kombat, GTA, Manhunt, even CoD for fuck's sake. We have films that work in far more taboo imagery explicitly. The devs are just using this tactic to sell the game and it's working because it has worked before and it will work again because of public outrages like this. People have once again proved that, when together, they get stupider.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:05 pm 

That and everyone is dissenticized to almost the point of sociopathy

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:09 pm 

That protagonist looks like the anthropomorphic personification of every Slipknot song ever.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626 ... 940  Next