HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 pm 

Dudes, there's a new, free Quake 1 episode made by Machine Games. :o

https://twitter.com/machinegames/status ... 50752?s=09

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:09 am 

I've really just fallen in love with the fact that Quake, Wolfenstein, and (especially) Doom are relevant as fuck now.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:53 pm 

Super Mario RPG now released on Wii U. I'd snatch that up if I had a Wii U - it's a great game.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:54 pm 

I would too if I had a Wii U, but honestly I've beaten it probably over 15 times since it's one of my all time favorites. I still have the SNES cart.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:40 am 

FYI, there's a Bioshock Collection coming out in September that includes remastered versions of the first two games (Infinite is also in the collection, but not remastered). If you already own Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and/or Minerva's Den on Steam, you'll get upgraded to the remastered versions of the respective games for free. So, if you're interested in that but don't own the games on Steam, you may want to pick them up for cheap in the current Steam sale then get the free upgrade later.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:22 pm 

Ignore the reviews, The Technomancer is really really good. Spiders finally struck gold, this is the best action RPG I've played since Risen 3 and possibly the coolest sci-fi setting I've seen in a game like this. And the atmosphere and creature designs are so emphatically French, at times it feels like I'm playing inside of a Moebius comic. I'll write more about the combat and RPG elements once I'm a bit further in the game, but it's looking very promising so far.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:56 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Ignore the reviews, The Technomancer is really really good. Spiders finally struck gold, this is the best action RPG I've played since Risen 3 and possibly the coolest sci-fi setting I've seen in a game like this. And the atmosphere and creature designs are so emphatically French, at times it feels like I'm playing inside of a Moebius comic. I'll write more about the combat and RPG elements once I'm a bit further in the game, but it's looking very promising so far.

Oh, alrighty then. Do keep us posted.

P.S: Just found out that GMG brought out a 25% off voucher on this game, so I decided to pull the trigger on it. User reviews on Steam are sitting at "mostly positive" with quite a large sample, so it's probably not as bad as Metacritic's score makes it out to be.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Last edited by yentass on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:48 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
FYI, there's a Bioshock Collection coming out in September that includes remastered versions of the first two games (Infinite is also in the collection, but not remastered). If you already own Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and/or Minerva's Den on Steam, you'll get upgraded to the remastered versions of the respective games for free. So, if you're interested in that but don't own the games on Steam, you may want to pick them up for cheap in the current Steam sale then get the free upgrade later.

Holy shit, that's awesome. It's been quite a while since I played them, so that sounds like a great excuse to dust them off. People don't talk about Minerva's Den a lot but it's actually really cool, very worth playing, and a good challenge. The new weapon is sweet too - a fuckin laser.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:24 pm 

So it looks like my PS3 decided life was no longer worth living. That's cool, not like I just started a ten day vacation and had unprecedented free time for the first time in years at my disposal or anything.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So it looks like my PS3 decided life was no longer worth living. That's cool, not like I just started a ten day vacation and had unprecedented free time for the first time in years at my disposal or anything.

My computer that I just replaced did something similar--when I got my oral surgery done and had a full week off of work to do as I pleased, it decided it was gonna start overheating as soon as I started playing any game. Life sucks, and then you die.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:14 am 

yentass wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Oh, alrighty then. Do keep us posted.

P.S: Just found out that GMG brought out a 25% off voucher on this game, so I decided to pull the trigger on it. User reviews on Steam are sitting at "mostly positive" with quite a large sample, so it's probably not as bad as Metacritic's score makes it out to be.

Have you tried it yet? I LOVE the RPG elements; it's still an action RPG, but it has probably the largest amount of non-combat skills and skill checks I've seen in an aRPG since... fuck... New Vegas I think? And the combat is really tight, it's much closer to Dark Souls than it is to Witcher 2/3 combat, which is a big plus in my book. Really great so far; voice acting isn't exactly AAA but it's a huge step up from all previous Spiders games. The music reminds me a lot of Alexander Branden's masterpiece: the Deus Ex OST.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:51 am 

If anybody cares, there's around eight minutes of footage from the System Shock reboot.

It's really colorful, methodical and a little creepy. They're in talks to bring the game to the PlayStation 4, so color me way more curious.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:55 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Have you tried it yet? I LOVE the RPG elements; it's still an action RPG, but it has probably the largest amount of non-combat skills and skill checks I've seen in an aRPG since... fuck... New Vegas I think? And the combat is really tight, it's much closer to Dark Souls than it is to Witcher 2/3 combat, which is a big plus in my book. Really great so far; voice acting isn't exactly AAA but it's a huge step up from all previous Spiders games. The music reminds me a lot of Alexander Branden's masterpiece: the Deus Ex OST.

As of this post I only managed to finish the prologue, so I didn't exactly have the chance to test the RPG elements of it. Combat-wise it feels like it's its own thing mostly (although I didn't play any of the Witchers, so that's a point of reference I don't have), or rather - it's a more polished and versatile version of the combat mechanics in Mars: War Logs, which by themselves took quite a few cues from Dark Souls to be honest; this iteration blurs out some of said cues but introduces others, so I totally get where you're coming from. I didn't notice anything remarkably bad about the voice acting nor anything remarkably good about the soundtrack this far.

All in all, the little I've seen so far is fairly decent, and I can only imagine it getting better the further I go, so my hopes are up at this point.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:17 pm 

Yo fuck Path of Exile. I fired it back up recently and went back to regular difficulty to try out that Ascendancy content. Tried that Lord's Labyrinth dungeon out - twice I was careless and got killed by traps and had to start the entire dungeon all over. Third time I was really careful with the traps, slowly worked my way through the whole place (enemies were a joke but the traps are annoying) then got one-shotted by Izaro's second form.

Went back in there tonight and kicked Izaro's ass the first two times. It was a cakewalk. Slog my way through the entire fucking dungeon only to have it disconnect as it's loading the third Aspirant's Trial area. What the fuck is this, 1997? Seriously considering uninstalling. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:47 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yo fuck Path of Exile. I fired it back up recently and went back to regular difficulty to try out that Ascendancy content. Tried that Lord's Labyrinth dungeon out - twice I was careless and got killed by traps and had to start the entire dungeon all over. Third time I was really careful with the traps, slowly worked my way through the whole place (enemies were a joke but the traps are annoying) then got one-shotted by Izaro's second form.

Went back in there tonight and kicked Izaro's ass the first two times. It was a cakewalk. Slog my way through the entire fucking dungeon only to have it disconnect as it's loading the third Aspirant's Trial area. What the fuck is this, 1997? Seriously considering uninstalling. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

Yes, better spend your time on better games...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:55 pm 

Weirdo teaser for something called "Scorn".

Doesn't really show any gameplay, although if the game itself ends up being just as creepy and atmospheric as this trailer, then I'll definitely be interested. Plus, Giger visuals = instant cool.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:43 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

My computer that I just replaced did something similar--when I got my oral surgery done and had a full week off of work to do as I pleased, it decided it was gonna start overheating as soon as I started playing any game. Life sucks, and then you die.

Update: I fixed it the same way my dad fixed me when I was a kid, by yelling at it until stopped horsing around.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:26 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
If anybody cares, there's around eight minutes of footage from the System Shock reboot.

That demo is available on Steam for everyone, you know...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:54 pm 

ATTN BastardHead, Zelkiro, stickyshooZ, and other FF(6) fans... this is for you (warning: contains supreme nerdness)

:D

Spoiler: show
Yes, I actually made this. I am playing Sabin, and Edgar is played by Kahalachan.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:16 pm 

Now do the whole thing. :V

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:29 pm 

I'm impressed! Now just find a way to recreate all of Sabin's Blitzes and all of Edgar's Tools and I'll buy each of you takeout :p

Nice touch using the music from Zozo at the start, by the way. Perfect representation of the surroundings.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:41 pm 

While I'm nowhere near endgame ridiculous madness builds or anything yet, I've started to tweak out my Path of Exile dual wield marauder to turn him into a proper murder machine by linking together some cool shit. Build is focused on maximizing DPS with axes and leeching life from enemies to keep myself alive.

Main attack hits with both weapons at once, but I've linked support gems to it that make it do a quick triple attack for slightly less damage, plus a modifier that makes it do splash damage as AoE to nearby targets, and another modifier that heals me per each enemy hit.

I've got an aura that adds ice damage to my attacks as a percent of my physical damage output, which is a huge DPS boost. I've got another self-buff that does the same with fire damage, and makes it so when I kill an enemy, it ignites nearby enemies for a % (around 100%) of the overkill damage I did to the dude I just killed.

Then I've got a skill that does a retaliation attack when I block, with modifiers to make it AoE and curse enemies with blindness. I've got another AoE retaliation that triggers when I do get hit that curses enemies so that if they hit me again they buff my damage and attack speed. I've got a skill gem that casts a blood rage effect on myself that does damage over time to me but makes me go into frenzy mode, and another "cast when damage taken" that puts out a huge bladestorm AoE that heals me for every hit it makes, and also curses enemies so I steal their life and gain damage resistance buffs when I kill cursed enemies.

So yeah, coming up with neat ways to link skills together is pretty damn cool in this game. I can only imagine how nuts it gets trying to link stuff together like that for casters and summoners and stuff.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:10 pm 

@Morrigan

Love it! Now you just need to suplex a phantom runaway train and you'll have Sabin down to a T. :lol:

iamntbatman wrote:

I had that same problem while playing PoE. It contributed to me discarding that game for good. I only needed to beat the first difficulty before I got bored with it anyway.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:16 pm 

Yeah, the instability does suck, but now that I think I have the routine down with that labyrinth it shouldn't be so bad to beat it a couple more times. The main thing I've grown to dislike is just the poor performance; the game DC's every time I alt-tab, and tends to hit a massive lag spike every time I open a strongbox, which in cruel difficulty has led to me dying maybe half the time I open one. Good thing I don't care about playing in a hardcore league.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:33 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Now do the whole thing. :V

We did play the whole game like that! I didn't record much of anything else though. Except for a weird glitch during an invasion a bit later on, but it was mostly to record the glitch itself. I couldn't resist at this instant though, the poor invader falling off like that with the arm-flailing animation was pretty funny.

And yes, we used that gesture every time we defeated an invader or a boss. :lol:

I did take a few screenshots though:

Close-ups of Sabin:

BastardHead wrote:
I'm impressed! Now just find a way to recreate all of Sabin's Blitzes and all of Edgar's Tools and I'll buy each of you takeout :p

Nice touch using the music from Zozo at the start, by the way. Perfect representation of the surroundings.

Yeah, it's a kind of funny song too so I thought it fit well.

I can do some pyromancies and the Demon Fists weapon to emulate Fire Dance (or whatever it was called), some sorceries for Aura Bolt, and the healing miracles for Mantra, but I didn't want to spread my stats too thin so I just kept the occasional pyromancy, with most of my attacks from claws and caestus. Edgar used partizans and pikes, one of which has kind of a "drilling" special attack, the toxic mist spell for the Bio-blaster, and the Avelyn crossbow for the Auto-Crossbow. :)

stickyshooZ wrote:
@Morrigan
Love it! Now you just need to suplex a phantom runaway train and you'll have Sabin down to a T. :lol:

No trains in this game, alas. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:53 pm 

So Pokemon GO is a fucking blast. However, they very clearly have not prepared for the interest it would generate; the servers are crash-prone, the GPS recognition is abysmal, and it destroys your battery life. Still the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since middle school though.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:30 pm 

If i could find it on google play i might try it, but i can't and i can't be bothered going through other stuff

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:20 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So Pokemon GO is a fucking blast. However, they very clearly have not prepared for the interest it would generate; the servers are crash-prone, the GPS recognition is abysmal, and it destroys your battery life. Still the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since middle school though.

I keep passing by other people playing this game on my college campus, lol.

Also folkemon, its not out in the UK yet, sorry.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:53 pm 

Pokemon GO looks like absolute asshole. My friend showed it to me and it's basically just watered-down Ingress and doesn't have any of the shit that would actually make it fun to play as a Pokemon title, i.e. actual pokemon stats and battles. They made a real-world, ARG Pokemon phone game and you just throw pokeballs at wild pokemon and catch them, there's only a single fucking statistic for all pokemon ("power") so there's no strategy or rock-scissors-paper or real RPG elements at all, there are no trainers and worst of all you can't fucking actually fight other people who are playing the game? What a complete waste of effort.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:58 pm 

Is there seriously no battling? What the fudge? Why would they leave that out!?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 pm 

Yeah, it's literally just Ingress. See a wild pokemon? Throw pokeballs at it until it is yours. Find portals (I mean, uh, gyms) and capture them, then stick your powerups (err, pokemon) on there to bolster its defenses. There is literally no pokemon battling of any kind in this pokemon game. I'm guessing the reasoning behind leaving out battling is that they're fucking goddamned idiots.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:24 pm 

That sounds completely freakin' pointless. What's the point of raising Pokemon's defense and stuff if you can't battle anyway? Pokemon without battling. Pfft.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 pm 

You don't raise their defense. Every pokemon only has one stat.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:07 pm 

I could care less about the lack of a battling system; I just think it's cool that I could coordinate my actual locations to hunting different mons - ie where I live in Chicago vs knowing I'll only be able to get certain ones during my yearly trip to northern Wisconsin. If I want to battle people I'll just fire up one of the Gen V/VI games on my DS and cap fools on the net battling system there. (Though I do feel like a lot of the people playing Go are the types who have this nonsensical dislike for anything past gen 1.)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 pm 

So wait you don't even battle? So the hitherto unseen throngs of gangly pale people that are suddenly roaming my town are going gaga over a virtual easter egg hunt?

The world is a wonderful place.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:39 am 

So, new guy here. Pls no burn. Just trying to sneak into the conversation, don't mind me!

Are y'all hyped for a game/games? Which? I must say that I myself am really hyped up about FFXV, Persona 5, Cross Code and Death's Gambit, which should all come next year (FFXV is coming out on September though I think).

Sucks that I need to get a PS4 though, but whatever I guess.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:21 am 

iamntbatman, I'm glad someone came out and said it. Seeing praise everywhere for it, so decided to briefly check out some youtube videos/read the wikipedia article and from what I gather you play easter egg hunt (which actually seems mildly entertaining, and anything that gets you outdoors is good) to find Pokemon which you then play Paper Toss to catch them with (extra Pokeballs costing real money, though I think you can find them for free in the game also) and then you have battles which consist of nothing more than tapping the screen. Shame, all the talk of this had me sorta interested but to be honest, that Ingress game seems way cooler.

I'm somewhat concerned about the combination of stupid people + this game, though. I sometimes have a quick look through TIFU on reddit to find the occasional entertaining story, and within one day of this game being released there are stories of people falling off their bike and narrowly avoiding being run over by a car, causing damage to someone's front garden with their car and losing their job in IT at a bank, among others, because they were busy catching Pokemon. Derp.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:06 am 

NaCl wrote:
So, new guy here. Pls no burn. Just trying to sneak into the conversation, don't mind me!

Are y'all hyped for a game/games? Which?

Obduction
Rhem 5
Syberia 3
Decoherence
The Last Crown: Blackenrock
The Dream Machine Chapter 6
Kentucky Route Zero Act IV

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am 

NaCl wrote:

Are y'all hyped for a game/games? Which? I must say that I myself am really hyped up about FFXV, Persona 5, Cross Code and Death's Gambit, which should all come next year (FFXV is coming out on September though I think).

Sucks that I need to get a PS4 though, but whatever I guess.

Sounds like you'll get along just fine with Zelkiiro (the resident weeb) and I (the resident FF fanatic). I played P4 for the first time this year and fell absurdly in love with it, so P5 is definitely on my list whenever that happens. FFXV looks pretty lame to be honest, but you're talking to the guy who sat through the entire Nova Chrystalis trilogy so I'm sure I'll end up beating it anyway.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am 

Dishonored 2 is the only game I'm really excited about currently. Loved the original.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772 ... 940  Next