Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm 

DarthVenom wrote:
I recall a DKC Trilogy OST set that Nintendo Power sold through its catalog in the 90s, but I don't even want to think about what that would cost now.

There is a soundtrack for the 3rd game but it costs $50 in eBay, so that's out of the question and soundtracks for the first game that look very suspicious so I'm not paying for those.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:08 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I know what you mean, but sometimes nothing is better than an awesome JRPG to break up the constant shooting, killing, hack n slash type games. I'm going to pick up Xillia soon, but I just got into Ni No Kuni recently and it may be totally un-metal, but it's a freaking awesome game both graphics and play style wise plus it is actually quite challenging at times.

Very true. The nice thing about the Tales series is that the combat is a lot more engaging than many turn based games (which can still be very fun, but I get tired of them faster now than I did when I was growing up), and the nice thing about Xillia in particular is that it avoids a lot of JRPG pitfalls. The story is given in reasonable amounts over the course of the game instead of through tons and tons of dialogue and cut scenes. It makes it a lot more pleasant to play when you have characters chatting *while* you run on the world map, etc.

I've had Ni No Kuni for a while, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Other things keep getting in the way. But it does look quite promising.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:09 pm 

Has anyone played Majyuuou? It was only released in Japan for the Super Famicom, but patched roms exist with English translations (King of Demons). It's often described as having similarities to both Castlevania and Contra. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

Another game I haven't played in ages is Demon's Crest. I imagine most already know and love this one. I really need to give these two another play through sometime soon.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:45 pm 

VoidOfEternity wrote:
Very true. The nice thing about the Tales series is that the combat is a lot more engaging than many turn based games

:nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 pm 

Playing Secret of Mana again. Never gets old. So much fun whacking things.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
VoidOfEternity wrote:
Very true. The nice thing about the Tales series is that the combat is a lot more engaging than many turn based games

:nono:

I suppose I should clarify that I mean many modern turn based JRPGs, which I just haven't been able to get into lately (though admittedly not just due to the combat).

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm 

I see Smooth McGroove has made a bunch more videos since I last checked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy0a41vRU0w

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 am 

Traded in Star Ocean The Last Hope International for Dragon's Crown. Well worth the trade. I couldn't bring myself to finish Star Ocean. It was just too long and sucky. Pandora's Tower kind of sucked too but it's way shorter. I probably wouldn't have finished it otherwise.

So top 5 console JRPGs this generation are....

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Ni No Kuni
4. Eternal Sonata
5. The Last Story

5th place is really only 5th place cause everything else wasn't good.

Dragon's Crown is nice. It's kind of embarassing to play. The worst is the female monk with her legs spread out. And the other art is over the top so the sorceress isn't as silly as I expected cause the dwarf is just huge and bulky and the fighter has an itty bitty head and a giant body.

But man there's a few of those cutscenes that are embarassing. Just like shake your head and laugh.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 pm 

Kahalachan, did you ever played Resonance of Fate? I'd say its one of my favorite JRPG in this generation and probably the best Tri-Ace game yet. Really deep combat system and nice setting, unique game.

So, unlike I previously said, had to get Dragon's Crown import and its been great fun so far. Though I dont see why anyone should feel embarrassed about it. Art style is really gorgeous and not just because female assets but in general, its really well made. This might be one more title to my top JRPG list, but we'll see.

Anybody here play Final Fantasy XIV ARR? For me this was unexpected but I really enjoy this game. Tried the 1.0 version on PC when it got released but now I see how broken and unfinished crap it was. This feels like totally different game. MMORPGs are usually not games for me and I certainly don't even like them but maybe its just that XIV is really beginner friendly, thus it was easy to pick up. Story seems interesting so far and FFVI magitek armor trailer was such a huge tease for fans, definitely something to look for to achieve. PS3 version that is, works much better than on my PC and controls with pad is easy to learn. It seems I'm gonna spend much time to this.

But before that, Amnesia AMFP finally available next week! Most anticipated game of the year yet, cant believe its finally the time.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 am 

I wanted to get into Rome 2: Total War but it's got a pretty bad launch. Heard guys like me with rec settings can't even play it since it's graphically unstable. Suuucks. Would be playing the crap out of that right now, instead of watching youtubers who can scrounge with titan video cards play instead.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am 

satanic_neumann wrote:
Kahalachan, did you ever played Resonance of Fate? I'd say its one of my favorite JRPG in this generation and probably the best Tri-Ace game yet. Really deep combat system and nice setting, unique game.

Never tried it. It didn't look interesting to me. I'm surprised you said it has a nice setting and is unique. Cause it looked like it was just set in modern times with guns.

For now my backlog is clear. So it's just casual multiplayer for me until Grand Theft Auto V comes out.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 am 

What about the PS1 classics you're not playing? :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 am 

I'm not counting portables. :P I still have Soul Hackers, Fire Emblem, and Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3DS. And all the PS1 classic JRPGs.

Portables take forever since I only dabble a bit at a time.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:10 am 

You can play PS1 games on the PS3...

edit: what about Deus Ex? You beat that yet?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am 

The Tales games are fun but I've never finished one.

Phantasia was good but I got stuck somewhere.
Symphonia I got pretty far with.
Destiny had one hell of an insane encounter rate.
Graces... still working on it here and there I guess.

But the biggest issue with these games for me are the stories. They're not worth a damn. The character interactions are good but the stories are so bare bones I lose steam after awhile. You'd think with how popular (the right place at the right time maybe?...) the series has become over the years they'd get some good writers on board or maybe try not to be so kiddie. The settings are always about as generic as they come too. They play it way too damn safe.

If they want to do war stuff how about getting the Suikoden staff on board, since Konami doesn't give a fuck. That PSP game sure looked awesome...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 am 

Is anyone else trying to download/sign up for the Dark Souls II beta and getting not eligible message? :grr:
Probably because it's only available to Europe so far... They didn't really make that clear. I just want a lot of good players to own the beta so they make it more difficult :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm 

Tales of games are so worthless, ugh. Can't believe there's like 13 of them.
Sick6Six wrote:
Is anyone else trying to download/sign up for the Dark Souls II beta and getting not eligible message? :grr:
Probably because it's only available to Europe so far... They didn't really make that clear. I just want a lot of good players to own the beta so they make it more difficult :)

Yeah doesn't work for me either. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm 

The first commercial for the Xbox One is out.

I get what they were doing with this. They know gamers already know the deal with the system, so they're targeting people who don't already know about the system and the various things it can do. They've already made it known that the marketing and focus around the Xbox One will be less that it's a game console and more of an entertainment hub, and if that's what they think will get more people to buy it then more power to them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 am 

Xeogred wrote:
But the biggest issue with these games for me are the stories. They're not worth a damn. The character interactions are good but the stories are so bare bones I lose steam after awhile. You'd think with how popular (the right place at the right time maybe?...) the series has become over the years they'd get some good writers on board or maybe try not to be so kiddie. The settings are always about as generic as they come too. They play it way too damn safe.

Yeah, I can agree with you there. Though I feel this is a pretty big issue in a lot of modern JRPGs, and many of them don't even have particularly good characters. The Tales series is one I tend to go to more for the combat, which endeared itself to me with Tales of Phantasia originally, rather than strong stories. Some of the games that use a similar battle system (Summon Night: Swordcraft Story on GBA, for instance) can put some fun spins on it but I haven't really been really impressed with the story in a JRPG since Panzer Dragoon Saga years ago.

Similarly, though not an RPG, I recently finished Killer Is Dead, which was a bit of a mess of a game, made worse by the dull and incoherent story and some amazingly obnoxious characters.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 am 

I've been playing through Skyrim and I made the mistake of way overdoing it with the crafted stuff. For a long time I was wearing Steel Plate with some basic enchantments and Skyforged Steel war axes as my weapons, then once I got my crafting perks up there I made some ebony armor and weapons. Earlier today I hit 100 in both smithing and enchanting, so I enchanted myself a ring, amulet, gloves and armor with +smithing, popped a blacksmith's elixir or whatever and made a full set of daedric armor and two dragonbone war axes. I then went over to the enchanter and slapped double enchants on each (ramping up 1h damage, sneak, magic resist on my armor and jewels and putting absorb health/stamina on one axe and fiery soul trap/fire damage on the other) and now I'm just a total beast and it's kinda sad. I cranked the difficulty way up but everything is still ludicrously easy to kill. Fire and electric mages still hurt a little (I'm a nord, so frost ones are just a joke) but again become superficial if I use Unrelenting Force to knock them down or Whirlwind Sprint to close on them fast.

Fun game in general though, and I'm liking a lot of the improvements over Oblivion (mainly the new perk and leveling system which don't feel as hopelessly broken as Oblivion's did). The Thieves Guild missions were pretty cool. The Dark Brotherhood was neat, too, but pretty short and lacking in cool setpiece kills. There was only one really memorable murder, if you ask me. I'm also glad they pared down the Fighters' Guild (err, Companions, which are completely different!) and basically just used it
Spoiler: show
as a setup to introduce lycanthropy

instead of just having it be a bunch of "go there, kill that" missions. I'm working my way through the Mages' Guild (errr, College, which is completely different!) missions now and they're ok so far. I'm only about halfway through the main questline and still have the political story, Dawnguard and Dragonborn to do, plus an assload of side quests.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:53 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I've been playing through Skyrim...

Mandatory question: are you playing it on PC?
1. if yes, then aladeen.
2. if no, do so.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 am 

Yeah, I'm playing it on PC.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:07 am 

Morrigan wrote:
You can play PS1 games on the PS3...

edit: what about Deus Ex? You beat that yet?

Yeah I thought you knew I beat it. I beat it awhile ago. Loved it. Excellent game!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:44 am 

This is pretty cool but also totally freaking me out. *shudder*
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:11 am 

Nah man, I would love to be able to do all that. I would probably shatter both my knees while trying, but hey, you gotta live.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:19 am 

Yeah, but you only live once :oh shit:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:15 am 

Exactly, #YOLO!

It took me an while to realize that video wasn't game footage. Pretty cool.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:53 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Nah man, I would love to be able to do all that. I would probably shatter both my knees while trying, but hey, you gotta live.

I think I can live better without shattered knees.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:36 pm 

I think I can live better if I'm not dead... just maybe. Sick video though :)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:35 am 

Speaking of male gaze video game design, this is a pretty glaring example:

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=9346

I mean... what the fuck happened here? I thought the Metal Gear franchise was supposed to be better than this :ugh: Shit doesn't even make any sense...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:42 am 

They had to make up for Raiden in MGS2.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 am 

I already spent too much time talking about that crap on NeoGAF, but all I can say is, Kojima's a perv but we all knew that already. He just took it to 11 now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:48 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Speaking of male gaze video game design, this is a pretty glaring example:

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=9346

I mean... what the fuck happened here? I thought the Metal Gear franchise was supposed to be better than this :ugh: Shit doesn't even make any sense...

This is the game series where way back in 1997 you could tell a teenage girl from the generic soldier mooks by the wiggling of her ass when she walked, and the game forced you to stare at said ass.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 am 

Fucking lol. And I thought Metal Gear couldn't get any worse in that regard, but it's not surprising. One of the bosses in Metal Gear Revengeance has orgasms during a cutscene. It was only a matter of time before some chick with a mini bikini showed up in the series.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 am 

Y'all forget the best part: Kojima admits he wanted her that way to sell more figurines and see more cosplayers:

Spoiler: show

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/06/kojima- ... eant-sexy/

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 am 

Jesus christ, methinks I spoke from a place of far too much innocence ;). I still admittedly have much Metal Gearing to catch up on. Sounds like it'll be the sexiest mission in the history of espionage.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:00 am 

Didn't Kojima originally want Meryl to be 14?

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:25 am 

Need I remind you guys that female skin is the strongest alloy in the universe.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:51 am 

Thank you again, Japanese developers, I might just have to buy a console again if only for support.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:27 am 

Yeah, institutional rape culture is so very, very funny. :roll:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517 ... 940  Next