Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:20 am 

Stephen57 wrote:
Every few years I go back to "Age of Empires 2" and I'm currently in one of those periods. Sometimes you need to destroy entire cities with canons.

AoE II is great! I see there is another expansion coming out soon, too. I really need to get that one working with Linux - it's the only game in my Steam library that I've had trouble with for some reason.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:53 am 

Stephen57 wrote:
Every few years I go back to "Age of Empires 2" and I'm currently in one of those periods. Sometimes you need to destroy entire cities with canons.

Same for me but with age of mythology, I've spent countless hours in that game. Prostagma
Cautiously excited for the remake

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:24 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
The more I play Lies of P the less I like it. It's honestly not a good game and I decided I wasn't having much fun and uninstalled it. I should have trusted my gut when I played the demo and didn't think much of it. Now I feel like I've wasted 50€ and 20 hours of my life.

Long story short, it just copies every From Software Game in the worst way possible. The red blocking stuff they copied from Sekiro doesn't work at all. It's unreliable and unfair. The weapons are all hideous and have weird move sets that feel useless. The shinobi arm they ripped off from Shekiro is completely useless too and haven't used it at all.

Overall combat against uninspired enemies is super bland then you'll suddenly find spongy enemies that insta-kill you with unblockable attacks. You can't block those attacks because the system they implemented is a lottery, there is no way to learn it. It just doesn't work. Sekiro was flawless in thar regard, the system worked and was demanding but very rewarding. This combat system just feels like a chore and doesn't reward you. Doing a perfect block means nothing, you have to perform like 10 in a row for it to be even remotely useful. You will also randomly get hit while evading, which feels super clunky and unreliable.

The story is also dumb as fuck. The game lore and maps are inconsistent too, The industrial revolution stuff doesn't mix really well with the medieval crap they try to pull off, and then there's some stuff that is supposed to be Lovecraftian in style that is just super bland mutation/sickness enemies. Some of the robots are also hideous, what where they thinking?

It's like they tried to mix Dark Souls, Sekiro and Bloodborne into one and they managed to get everything wrong from each of them. This is a 4/10 game at best.

Thank you very much for this detailed write up.

I'll wait till they offer this as a free monthly game.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:06 pm 

I'm sure I'm going to have a shitload of minute-to-minute fun while simultaneously getting incredibly annoyed by the story of Rebirth whenever I get to play it.

Unfortunately my tax return wasn't enough for a PS5 so I'm gonna have to wait a while to actually be able to play it myself.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SlimeGod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:21 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm sure I'm going to have a shitload of minute-to-minute fun while simultaneously getting incredibly annoyed by the story of Rebirth whenever I get to play it.

Unfortunately my tax return wasn't enough for a PS5 so I'm gonna have to wait a while to actually be able to play it myself.

If I do say sir your previous remake rant was spectacular and I would really enjoy a sequel

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:43 pm 

Couldn't disagree more about Lies of P. It's one of the better Souls-likes out there and one of the best games of last year. Complaints about the combat sound like, sorry to say, a skill issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:05 pm 

I've been playing Helldivers 2 for the past two weeks and it's been a a while since a game gave me so much fun.
Fire walk with me"

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:55 am 

I'm absolutely getting my moneys worth out of Unicorn Overlord. Tactical RPGs are still relatively rare, so when a banger is dropped its freaking awesome.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:52 am 

Yeah, I checked out the demo for Unicorn Overlord after seeing the trailer for it, it seems really thoroughly excellent from my couple hours of play so far. Will probably be my next game purchase. I saw a comment somewhere that said it "scratched that Fire Emblem itch" and I think that nails it for me.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 pm 

I just entered the second region (used loosely as you get a choice of where to go) and I'm still surprised, fourteen hours in at the introduction of more new systems.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:22 am 

I'm kind of newbie with a PS3 and found myself playing Dark souls 1 and then 2 and then Demons souls and.... and I'm stucked with all the rest with very few exception (Skyrim, dragon Age, Dragon's dogma) while I'm not really obsessed by dragons & swords (my first gaming models were Half Life 2 & far Cry 1)

I've tried so many games among famous (Assassins creed, Uncharted, GTA) and terrific, I've tried what they call "adventures and heroic" to find clicliclic and overinstructing games (clic x or that to make the system doing something you will only look at)

any recommandation for PS3 with I don't know, complex games?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 am 

Considering your mention of Half Life 2 and Far Cry, I take it you quite enjoy a first person experience in a more modern or dystopian setting. Have you tried the PS3 Deus Ex games? Or perhaps Fallout New Vegas? Those might be good picks if you're looking for a bit more meaty gameplay in a non-swords & sorcery setting.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:58 am 

It's not the most complex, but if you like action RPGs you might like Shadow of Mordor, I found the gameplay to be quite engaging and the leveling system to be interesting enough that's not just a mindless hack and slash by any means. Admittedly the load times on the PS3 version can be a little much but it's still a quality game. Though you may have already tried it as it is a pretty well-known games. I never really tried too many more obscure PS3 titles so I probably won't be much help beyond that.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:08 am 

Team Ninja always make me feel like this is their last game I will buy then I always buy the next one because I'm dumb. I admit it, it's my fault entirely.

Rise of the Ronin is the most Team Ninja game ever: the combat is pretty cool but everything else is just mediocre. Horrid performance, last gen graphics and animations, uninteresting story and the open world is worst than in any Ubisoft Game. Every second spent playing this game I was wishing I was playing Sekiro or Ghost of Tsushima instead.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:51 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Team Ninja always make me feel like this is their last game I will buy then I always buy the next one because I'm dumb. I admit it, it's my fault entirely.

Rise of the Ronin is the most Team Ninja game ever: the combat is pretty cool but everything else is just mediocre. Horrid performance, last gen graphics and animations, uninteresting story and the open world is worst than in any Ubisoft Game. Every second spent playing this game I was wishing I was playing Sekiro or Ghost of Tsushima instead.

Yea, I heard it referred to as a "Greatest Hits" of all the games you mentioned in a review and I'm done with this. This game has already been made a bunch of times. The ancient Japan setting is becoming stale. They need to change something if I'm gonna spend money on these games.

In a completely unrelated topic, I'm moving towards full on obsessed with Slay the Spire. I never would've believed in a million years that I'd like a video game that is basically playing cards, but here we are. If you're looking for something new in video games and sick of the endless games being created with open maps and pointless never ending side missions you might want to give this game a try.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:33 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Yea, I heard it referred to as a "Greatest Hits" of all the games you mentioned in a review and I'm done with this. This game has already been made a bunch of times. The ancient Japan setting is becoming stale. They need to change something if I'm gonna spend money on these games.

In a completely unrelated topic, I'm moving towards full on obsessed with Slay the Spire. I never would've believed in a million years that I'd like a video game that is basically playing cards, but here we are. If you're looking for something new in video games and sick of the endless games being created with open maps and pointless never ending side missions you might want to give this game a try.

I honestly don't mind the ancient Japan setting, I'm a sucker for a good samurai game. This one is just so-so. Team Ninja really neds to change a lot of stuff and ditch the Dark Souls formula entirely. It doesn't work as good as they think. They also need to spend way more time with each game instead of half-assing each one. I'm surprised Sony paid for such a 6/10 game. I'm so dumb I didn't even buy a CD so I can re-sell it.

I'm honestly considering re-playing Ghost of Tsushima again at this point.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:36 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
It's not the most complex, but if you like action RPGs you might like Shadow of Mordor, I found the gameplay to be quite engaging and the leveling system to be interesting enough that's not just a mindless hack and slash by any means. Admittedly the load times on the PS3 version can be a little much but it's still a quality game. Though you may have already tried it as it is a pretty well-known games. I never really tried too many more obscure PS3 titles so I probably won't be much help beyond that.

Both Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War have some of the coolest combat ever. It's a shame the story in both of them is poorly written fan-fiction.

Currently enjoying the Dead Space remake. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much. The weirdest thing is... the new version looks just like I remember the old one. It's fun how remembering stuff works.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:39 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I honestly don't mind the ancient Japan setting, I'm a sucker for a good samurai game. This one is just so-so. Team Ninja really neds to change a lot of stuff and ditch the Dark Souls formula entirely. It doesn't work as good as they think. They also need to spend way more time with each game instead of half-assing each one. I'm surprised Sony paid for such a 6/10 game. I'm so dumb I didn't even buy a CD so I can re-sell it.

I'm honestly considering re-playing Ghost of Tsushima again at this point.

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a physical copy of a game. I don't miss going to GameStop and getting upsold preorders on Triple A games.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:25 am 

hey, thanx for answers, I forgot that thread sorry

I'm stucked with Dark souls and friends on PS3, I've tried many with no success, probably I'm too old for killlkilllkilll

I got good ones on PS4: still Dark souls, bloodborne, but also The Surge, Lords of the fallen, few others in japan style

but for PS3 I'm out of idea: I've tried Shadow of Mordor, not so bad but I've been bored at some point, Fallout3 the music neverending killed me =D

I'm gone with minecraft, afterall that's a complexe game, but the challenge is...mh bilding a house? =D

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:20 pm 

I've upgraded to a PS4 from a PS3 myself in the last year (I usually get the most recent Nintendo system and then the last generation Sony system for budget reasons, but I have a gaming PC as well). Aside from Soulsbornes/action RPGs I play a lot of JRPGs as well so I don't know if that's something that's up your alley. I did have XCOM on the PS3 which is a good tactical RPG but I just never really got that into it - not sure why, maybe I just had trouble getting into the gameplay. It's been a while now since I last played it.

I'd definitely recommend Elden Ring on PS4 as it's the most accessible of the Soulsborne games to those who have trouble with them, since you can pick and choose where you want to go. I don't really play any shooters for the most part (no FPS as they give me motion sickness) so I can't help in that regard. The Last of Us is one I've played some and it's deserving of the hype, that's available on both PS3 and PS4. I'm kind of looking for more PS4 games myself, though I've still got a bit of a backlog to get through so it's not too urgent. I tend to spend a little more time with the Switch at any rate.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 am 

Currently starting another Fallout 4 with a combination of cool mods. Basically Damn Apocalypse, Bullet Time, PANPC and a few other adjustments.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am 

^ That "London" mod (more like a new game I suppose...) seems nice for FO4!

Has anyone played Witchfire yet? Any thoughts?

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:43 am 

Just ordered Elden ring, finally with a decent price. I'm actually playing Bloodborne, a very bit different from others From (Dark souls) with a more fighting approach, which is nice but... not the same feeling!

I've tried The Surge, not so bad but difficulty is a bit hazardous, a lot of (unvolontary) farming so at the end a bit boring.
I've tried Lords of the fallen just a little (first boss) and this one is ok for entertainment, far from DS by the storytelling and for the fight, easier because not so accurate.

This is what I enjoy on PS3: Dark Souls 1, DS 2, Demon's souls - the best to me - Then Risen 1 & 3, Elder Scroll Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Origin & Inquisition (the 2d is a bit boring, too long), and oldtimers Far Cry 1 (2 is ok but so good), Half Life 2.
Adding for PS4: Bloodborne, Dark souls 3
And maybe : Death stranding, Kingdom's come

Others for i'm not so convinced but ok: Red Dead redemption, GTA V, Darklurkers, DeadSpace, Borderlands, Batman series, Minecraft...
Not my stuff: Last of us, Uncharted, Assassin's creed, God of war, Walking dead, Watchdogs, Destiny, Watchdogs, many many poor games including FPS and others

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:55 am 

Lane wrote:
^ That "London" mod (more like a new game I suppose...) seems nice for FO4!

Has anyone played Witchfire yet? Any thoughts?

It's been delayed due to a new Fallout 4 update coming in a few days too.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:08 am 

^ Okay. Let's see how's that, then! I'm close finishing FO4 right now.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:40 am 

Stellar Blade tomorrow :hyper: The demo was so much fun!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 pm 

Holy christ, I just beat Malenia solo with my second Elden Ring character, a strength/dex samurai using Nagakiba with the Unsheathe ash of war. I can safely say that this was the hardest boss I've ever beaten in any video game. I tried many times with my first character (a faith/strength build using Blasphemous Blade) but in the end gave up and used spirit summons. I really wanted to do it solo this time, and I did it, after many attempts. It got to the point where I could fucking crush her phase 1, sometimes very quickly, and on a couple of attempts without taking a single hit. Phase 2 is so much more stressful and chaotic and I never got consistently adept at dodging her entire move set, but I did it, finally, and it feels good.

Now for a break until the DLC drops.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 936, 937, 938, 939, 940