* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:03 am 

PDS wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
In SotN news: INVERTED CASTLE MOTHERFUKKERSS :hail: Though, uh, not all latter-day Castlevanias are this easy, are they? I'd hope not. I feel like I'm barely trying here...

Ehhhh... they are about the same really. Circle of the Moon gets credits for having one of the hardest final Dracula forms (in my opinion) and it takes a while to learn the pattern. But other than that... Harmony of Dissonance is easy...Aria of Sorrow... pretty easy... Dawn of Sorrow: Easy. Portrait of Ruin, Easy. Ecclesia: Said to the be hte hardest of the handheld Castlevanias, but it was mostly easy when I bought it 8 years ago...when I was 11-12.

No joke on CoTM. I breezed through the game and power leveled near the end to get some good cards or something, but Dracula was killing me in two hits. It was intense.

There's no real middle ground with CV. You either get cake walks (the Metroidvania's), or go home crying to mommy brutality with the traditional ones. The NES ones are pretty funny because of how deceiving the big health bar is, it basically translates to 4-5 hits max and that's all you can take.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:11 am 

OK. So if anyone was wondering, or was on the fence about the Halo: Master Chief Collection, which has only had issues with the online component since it's release. The patch that was just released had a beta test before it was release and actually has fixed most of the issues that the game has been having. You find games within 30 seconds and the hitboxes for H2 are fixed.

It's not all the way there but I played about 10 games tonight and it is a lot of fun.

Biggie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:10 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's just sad the game very nearly breaks down when it comes to the actual, you know, gameplay.

The combat is not great, but does its job. What I don't appreciate are the crap healing mechanics. So Geralt needs to set up shop & daintily sip on the potions before/after combat, & can't quaff it down while swinging a sword.

... You wot?
Reminds me of the first encounter with Letho (Chapter 1). I lost count of how many times my piss weak Geralt died to the bald dude & his gayass energy shield before I called "fuck this", drank some regen before the bullshit cutscenes & winged it from there instead. Urgh.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Most are probably at least a little harder than SotN. Order of Ecclesia especially can be pretty challenging at times.

Have fun with Galamoth though.

Will do! :thumbsup: Yeah, it feels a little weird not even having to really change my approach or equipment in any meaningful way from boss to boss. No need for any healing measures usually, either. Oop, here's a boss, no worries, I'll just shrug off a few hits and whack away at it for a bit until it dies. That usually works. Theeere we- oh hold on.... had to double jump a couple times on that one. Ok now it's dead.

So far I've almost exclusively used the holy water vials as my auxiliary weapon. Makes a lot of situations quite a bit easier.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:27 am 

I never beat Circle of the Moon. Couldn't beat Dracula. And the game was pretty challenging overall, from what I remember.
HellBlazer wrote:
Have fun with Galamoth though.

Galamoth can be cheesed, though. But if you don't cheese him he's really, really difficult, almost out of place in the game hah.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:18 pm 

Sounds tough, I might even have to use a potion!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I never beat Circle of the Moon. Couldn't beat Dracula. And the game was pretty challenging overall, from what I remember.

I'll have to second this. That game was out for blood.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:20 pm 

I found Order of Ecclesia really, really difficult. Also happens to be one of the best in the series, though. I really liked the string of Castlevania handhelds from the GB Advance to DS-era. Clearly the series works best as a sidescroller, since I really couldn't get into the Lords of Shadow games. Just really unoriginal pretty adventure games that came off as a God of War rip-off to me, with surprisingly bad controls to boot. I still think SotN is my favourite. Yeah, it's not very challenging, but it's just so damn fun to play.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:04 pm 

Biggie wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
It's just sad the game very nearly breaks down when it comes to the actual, you know, gameplay.

The combat is not great, but does its job. What I don't appreciate are the crap healing mechanics. So Geralt needs to set up shop & daintily sip on the potions before/after combat, & can't quaff it down while swinging a sword.

... You wot?
Reminds me of the first encounter with Letho (Chapter 1). I lost count of how many times my piss weak Geralt died to the bald dude & his gayass energy shield before I called "fuck this", drank some regen before the bullshit cutscenes & winged it from there instead. Urgh.

I don't mind that you can't use potions in combat, although I far prefer the Risen1/Gothic1&2/Severance/Souls way of forcing a semi-lengthy animation penalty for doing so. However, the fact you have to slowly kneel and watch a 10-second drinking animation and lethargic brow wipe every. fucking. time. you want to use a potion (which you'll be doing a LOT of on the higher difficulty settings) is mindblowingly bad design.

I'm still just not feeling this combat at all, especially the way movement works. It feels clearly designed for a controller, where you can fine-tune your speed with a joystick. Dragon Age: Inquisition had a similar problem. I hope Witcher 3 will correct this but given that it's coming out on both of the big current-gen consoles at the exact same time as the PC release, I have my doubts.

EDIT: Speaking of...

Combat DEFINITELY looks improved, although that "random encounters" bit bother me more than a little. If there are infinite respawns that aren't dynamic to the world, immabee pissed.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:43 pm 

Galamoth isn't ringing a bell for me. Is he the one in the catacombs/skeletons place? I recall some giant bone/skeleton/dinosaur thing or something down there that was absurdly and randomly really hard, but yeah not sure.

@Under: Do you have access to a Wii? I really want you to play a traditional CV after this to see your reaction... I'd say the same to others here.

Not that I have a hard on for hard games, but I'd love to see some reactions here with people dabbing into the classic styled games. I'm about to finish up Chronicles which is pretty awesome, this is probably one of the coolest mixes of Simon's theme for sure:

Just look at how badass this level looks, Anor Londo anyone? Silver Knights everywhere hah.

I'd say this one makes the cut to my favorites, probably in 4th place after Rondo of Blood, Super IV, and Bloodlines. The NES games are great, but I'm a bigger fan of the 16bit+ ones here.

Just remember Under when you get to the old ones, the Belmont's are apparently so fucking badass and strong that they merely walk on their quest to kill Dracula.
(ie the controls, but I think it's part of the CV charm).

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm 

Unrelated to (most) console gaming, the division of EA responsible for Simcity and Spore (Maxis Emeryville) is dead. It looks like a combination of a shitty last release (Simcity 2013 was largely panned), sinking financials, and the pending release of the much more anticipated Cities: Skylines by Colossal Order/Paradox has outright killed the studio. It's funny how this news just comes out a day after the media embargo for Cities: Skylines footage came to an end (and has seen very positive reactions from city-builder fans).

In a way it's a little bittersweet. I spent a fair bit of my younger days playing around on Simcity, and then Simcity 2000/3000/4, but I suppose all good things must come to an end.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:53 pm 

Thought they were dead 10 years ago. :P
(not that it's anything to laugh about)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:56 pm 

Yeah, unfortunately they're another good example of EA brutalizing an acquisition. I wonder if Bioware is next for the chopping block.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 pm 

Thankfully Bioware's stuff are big sellers... so maybe they still have a bit more free reign. Then again I thought SimCity always sold like hotcakes? Who knows.

Still, I don't think EA are nearly as bad as Ubisoft thesedays and of course, Activision is the worst. If Ubisoft owned Dead Space or Mass Effect, we would have gotten 18 games last gen instead of 3. I hope you guys are ready for Watch Dogs 87!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:02 pm 

Simcity 2013 sold a lot of copies despite being generally panned by fans (especially at launch).

But with this news on Maxis, cancellations of a couple other games, and the fact that Shadow Realms was also shelved due to executive meddling this last month, it certainly suggests that EA is currently cutting and reorganizing.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm 

Reorganizing? Nah, just EA being EA:
http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-st ... 1689498614

Spoiler: show

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:40 pm 

Yep, all it'll take is one flop.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:09 pm 

Is the allegation that EA buys smaller competitors to close them? Because four of those EA kept alive for a decade or more after buying; Maxis they kept alive for almost two decades. Hell, I assumed they went out of business years ago, I was shocked when my friend told me there was a new Sims out.

I think it's much more likely EA are just terribad at management and basic accounting, which is about par for the videogaming industry. I read an interview with someone in the industry last year who said that most of the studios are one flop away from insolvency. Not just being dropped by their parent company for not selling as much as their greedy corporate masters would like, but from actual bankruptcy. Which, when you think about the huge amounts of money these companies make, really implies they have a spending problem.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:13 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

That already happened. It's called The Old Republic.

Anyway, gah, quest design and writing in Witcher 2 is SO goddamn good. I mean, I remember it being good, but I don't remember it being quite THIS good. I really can't think of any game that could beat it on this front. Planescape and Kotor2 are close, but I still think Witcher 2 is still the strongest.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:26 pm 

@Earthcubed: It's true, turn over is insane too. From the few things I've heard from friends that have friends or connections to people that have been in the business, it just sounds godawful on every level. Great pay I guess, but long hours and zero job security. I've also heard this more than once, but those who work on games kind of stop playing them altogether because they have no time for it or the work kills the hobby. Glad I ditched the idea of game design after taking a few courses, sounds like one ticket to hell. I'll just play them thanks.

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

That already happened. It's called The Old Republic.

:lol:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
From the few things I've heard from friends that have friends or connections to people that have been in the business, it just sounds godawful on every level. Great pay I guess, but long hours and zero job security. I've also heard this more than once, but those who work on games kind of stop playing them altogether because they have no time for it or the work kills the hobby. Glad I ditched the idea of game design after taking a few courses, sounds like one ticket to hell. I'll just play them thanks.

Ever heard that thing about the gourmet chef that can't wait to get home and just chomp down on a greasy cheese burger? I imagine it's kinda like that.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:41 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Reorganizing? Nah, just EA being EA:
http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-st ... 1689498614

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:46 am 

I'm liking the string of remasters coming out recently. Oddworld was always a pain in the ass for me on PC with the divided screens, checkpoints and lousy responsiveness, but I'm seeing what a great platformer it really is with the remake. I'll probably pick up Homeworld Remastered as well since I never finished the original's campaign, although I didn't think there was much to fix about it.

It's certainly a nice change from all the totally unnecessary, childhood-ruining remakes like Gabriel Knight and Monkey Island. I'm still waiting for someone to remake some more old strategy classics, like Colonization or Imperialism. It'll happen eventually like it did with X-COM. They don't make strategy games like they did back then! :old:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 am 

How about a remake of Cyber Empires? That game ruled.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:19 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Is the allegation that EA buys smaller competitors to close them? Because four of those EA kept alive for a decade or more after buying; Maxis they kept alive for almost two decades. Hell, I assumed they went out of business years ago, I was shocked when my friend told me there was a new Sims out.

I think it's much more likely EA are just terribad at management and basic accounting, which is about par for the videogaming industry. I read an interview with someone in the industry last year who said that most of the studios are one flop away from insolvency. Not just being dropped by their parent company for not selling as much as their greedy corporate masters would like, but from actual bankruptcy. Which, when you think about the huge amounts of money these companies make, really implies they have a spending problem.

I don't think it's a spending problem so much as EA intentionally sucking every last nickel out of these subsidiaries, sucking up profits and not reinvesting anything, keeping them perpetually on the brink of insolvency. It's a common predatory corporate tactic - a big umbrella corporation buys up a smaller company and then sucks it dry before dissolving it or selling it to someone else.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:32 pm 

One of the Maxis developers commented on that yesterday, actually. An insider's perspective:
Quote:
Money. It all comes down to money. EA as a corporation doesn't share our sense of obligation out of sentimentality. Hence today's announcement.

The long gap is probably caused by several factors. First was that the expansion for SC4 didn't print cash like The Sims was at the time. Sure it made money, but The Sims had a HUGE (I remember reading 16x) return on the investment. So it got deprioritized to make The Sims 2. Which again made huge returns.

EA has adopted a greenlight gating process. Where by with little or no capital invested they have a few highly talented senior designers/creative types come up with the framework of a game. They develop what they can as proof of concept, usually simple gameplay prototypes and concept art, which is then presented to EA. This sets up a series of gates and reviews whereby they get more money and manpower as it seems necessary and the time to work on the gameplay, engine, and artistic style. This whole period is called preproduction, and can last from a few months to a few years. At some point you go into production, which means you know what you are making, how you are going to do it, how they are going to sell it and hard numbers to back all of that up. Some time after that, when marketing thinks it is right, they will announce the game to the public. From that point on nothing changes from the public facing. Once locked into 'online-only' there was no way of changing it. People complained that the cities were too small but there was no way to address that without compromising the numbers and forecasts when the game was sold to EA's corporate overseers. EA can't be negotiated with at this level, you can't change their mind, you REALLY have to fight to get dates changed etc.

So, during that 10 year wait there was almost 9 years of silence. 3 or 4 of those years had active development of the game that shipped, with another year or more of a small group of creatives. There were other attempts that never made the light of day, and products (Simcity Societies comes to mind) that didn't deliver that 'SimCity' experience.

I offer all of this with the caveat that they don't even tell us (read 'the devs') all of this and some of it is conjecture.

I also don't fault EA with this process. It is meant to minimize risk and it does pretty well at that. EA is a very large ship, it takes a lot of energy and time to get it to change direction. That long process steers the ship and adds predictability. Smaller companies are able to pivot much faster but lack EA's resources and ability to 'play the long game'. All of this stuff happens out of necessity, and all of it comes down to money.

EA is actually a great place to work these days. In the past there were difficulties (I was part of the EA Spouse/class action) but a lot of that has turned around. They really do want to retain talent and minimize layoffs. Not everyone shares this experience, but I haven't worked back-to-back weekends in almost a decade. EA has a really good benefits package, competitive pay, and a strong sense of progressive public responsibility. Maxis, in particular, the Sims side has what is probably the highest level of gender equality in the industry.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:15 pm 

"Great place to work", but apparently any IP you work on during your free time belongs to EA... :nono: I don't even know how this can even be legal, mind. But fuck, even if they're not as evil as they used to be, they're still greedy fuckers.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm 

I want some Ubisoft and Activision insider stories.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:22 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
"Great place to work", but apparently any IP you work on during your free time belongs to EA... :nono: I don't even know how this can even be legal, mind. But fuck, even if they're not as evil as they used to be, they're still greedy fuckers.

I've a friend that works at IBM and he told me they do the same thing, it's in their contract. Basically any software you get to work on belongs to IBM. It's the main obstacle that prevents us from working together on an indie game. So apparently it's more common than we thought.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:40 pm 

It's like this in plenty of industries, it's pretty common. For example the guy who invented Bratz dolls was working for Mattel when he developed them and as a result there have been ongoing lawsuits over the rights for almost 10 years.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 pm 

Microsoft as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 pm 

That's very typical of non-compete clauses in employee contracts in all sectors.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:14 pm 

Rag on EA all you like, but the fact they've been one of the only major game companies to consistently push for gender and sexuality equality in the industry (both in their games and for their employees) makes them better than most all of the other Big Boys by default, especially given the 'old boys' mentality many game company executives still hold. Obviously their appeals to political correctness are capitally motivated, they are a business after all, but it's still something they absolutely didn't have to do. Did you guys see the lashback the internet collectively fired off at EA/BioWare for DA2, DA:I and ME3? Sure, each of those games had serious issues that were unrelated to the PC stuff, but hop onto Metacritic's user review section: 9 out of every 10 negative review will mention things of and/or related to skeletons.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:33 pm 

Sure, they've made positive social choices in one area. That does not, however, forgive their choices in other areas.

You know that it's entirely possible to agree with one thing a company or a person does, and disagree with another? That one is not dependent on the other? I don't think anyone here would disagree with you there, but it's completely fair to "rag" on the negatives of something on its own accord.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 pm 

Not to mention that seems to be all about Bioware and not necessarily EA in general.

As for non-compete clauses, they make sense when it's about not working for a competitor, but what you do in your own free time is your own fucking business. It's disgusting and I don't even know how that's legal...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:46 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

I'll have to second this. That game was out for blood.

I haven't been able to play in a week but I'm still plugging away at it. The moral of this story is that I've learned the bosses are generally pretty easy (at least he first three were), but the areas leading to them are horeshit frustrating. The Heat Shades on the platforms in the Mechanical Tower were kicking my ass, and now on the way to the fourth boss (I assume) I'm getting utterly spanked by mobs of Blood Swords and Marionettes. I realize I'm not as good at games overall as some of the people here, but if y'all think this is actually piss easy, you're inhuman. There's a lot of challenge here.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 pm 

I guess if I ranked the Metroidvania's difficulty wise, CoTM might be #2 after Order of Ecclesia.

But yeah, good luck with Dracula. :P

I started up Harmony of Dissonance myself tonight and it's pretty awesome. Definitely the worst music among the handheld ones though... yikes. Still can't see it beating any of the other handheld ones, but going into it a bit more open minded and not playing it back to back next to those... yeah it's really not that bad.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:46 am 

Well I finished Painkiller. Really good game, lots of fun. Did the core game on Nightmare difficulty, but had to drop down to Insomnia for the expansion, as they upped the chaos tremendously for it. Problem is, Insomnia feels too easy while Nightmare was too difficult. Meh. Still, very cool game.

I'm thinking of playing either Redneck Rampage, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or Red Faction next, since I'm still in a FPS mood. Any suggestions as to which I should start with?

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:32 am 

Anyone else played the beta for Carmageddon: Reincarnation yet? I finally can run it at a playable (25-35 fps) framerate! :headbang: It reminds me heavily of Carmageddon 2, which I also love.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:02 am 

This Let's Play of Um Jammer Lammy is fucking glorious.

"PaRappa's just going to keep spazzing out until the crowd can settle on a direction to dump him off."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 668, 669, 670, 671, 672, 673, 674 ... 940  Next