Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 am 

I played a bit, it seemed kinda cool, but too actiony and polished for where my current VG interests lie...

It probably gets better though, I really only played a tiny bit.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 am 

Did you try not killing anyone / going undetected?

I still have to play the second half of the game, but I've been too preoccupied with more flashy and accessible experiences like Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood lately.

@Ozzy what resolution do you play at?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 am 

Far Cry 3 is awesome.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:17 am 

YOU FINISHED DOWNLOADING IT ALREADY????

I hate you.

I'm only at 6.2% :(.

And I'd usually buy it but I mean... Ubisoft.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 am 

Done three hours ago :P

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:23 am 

:grr: Urge to kill... rising... :grr:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 am 

Very eager to play the new Hitman, as worried as I was about the new style looking, from the gameplay trailer I saw, at least, like the last Splinter Cell game. That said, I enjoyed Conviction.
As I've got the mental development of a 2 year old, I've been having a deliriously fun time playing the new WWF or WWE or WTFever game with friends. Nothing quite like throwing your friend through a table and doing your best Ultimate Warrior impression.

Dishonored DLC is on the way, admittedly the first pack is only going to be in the vein of the challenge levels on the Arkham games, which isn't a bad thing, at least in my mind. More excuses to feel like a dirty magic-wielding steampunk ninja? Bring it on. Story based DLC is planned for the new year, though.

This is all a moot point, as I've loaned the damn thing to a friend!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Very few games are truly unique, and those which were often were abandoned (Mirror's Edge comes to mind).

No way, they're working on Mirror's Edge 2! :hyper:

...Supposedly... :grumble:

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm 

They ''announced'' that a couple of years ago and there's absolutely no news. And anyway, if they do release it I doubt it'll be as good as the first one.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm 

It pops up in the news once in a while (most recently last week) to confirm development is apparently still going on... but yeah, absolutely no details. I don't have much "Faith" (ahem) in EA to produce it as the game it should be, but we'll see.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:
@Ozzy what resolution do you play at?

1980x1080 (highest my screen can go).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:16 pm 

As long as they keep the combat out of it, I'd welcome a new Mirror's Edge. Just give things to climb over!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm 

I think the combat portion was a pretty good element. Plenty room for improvement but the general idea wasn't so bad. I also like the fact that you play a small woman beating up security personnel (she's Asian though, of course) :lol:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 pm 

I need to checkout Mirror's Edge, but not until I get some more money. Luckily I have a silly backlog (for me) including Bioshock, Ico, Shadows of the Collosus, Metal Gear Solid 4, Dragon Age: Origins (although I might buy the PC one instead if I don't get to it before I have my computer), Borderlands 2 DLC. Still need to beat Halo 4, Brotherhood, Dishonored, Ninja Gaiden 2 (on normal because I'm lame. I got to a point on hard where I was just like, fuck this, and started over on normal) and Bayonetta. I don't really care if I never play Dante's Inferno again but the achievement/goal oriented gamer in me just wants to beat it.

DI is a pretty mediocre game, I think I enjoyed it as much as I did because 1) It was one of the first PS360 games I bought, and I only got the 360 a few months ago. So I had standards that were from the days of Dreamcast and Xbox 1 and 2) I never played any God of War, but after watching some GOW gameplay I can totally see how DI is a shameless ripoff.

My TV is marketed as being 720p but it supports 1080p input--does this mean 1080p content is being downscaled to 720p? And if that is the case, does that mean that playing at 720p for the performance increase will have a negligible difference from the same game at 1080p, in terms of image quality?

I do not have a "real" monitor so the TV will be what my PC is hooked up to, and by the time I buy another one it will probably be 4K :P.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 pm 

Honestly I think the Mirror's Edge would make way more sense if she had a pistol or a knife or a baton or SOME kind of weapon. It's silly that she's somehow strong enough to use these huge assault rifles she picks up off of fallen guards with accuracy, yet a small pistol would somehow weigh her down too much. I understand they didn't want to make it a full-blown shooter, but then they shouldn't throw so many shooty enemies at you, and make it so guns are 1) very effective, 2) you can't use them while running and jumping all over the place, you know, THE MAIN DRAW OF THE WHOLE GAME. If they tuned it so you had a small pistol and could shoot your way out of minor mistakes, but not more than a guard or two, I think it would be perfect. Also if they didn't want it to be too snipey they could just make the pistol's accuracy kind of dick at long range.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 am 

Damn, Capture the Flag on Halo 4 is fun. Would be amazing with an entire team mic'd up, IMO.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am 

I haven't nearly played enough Halo 4 online yet. I adore Regicide and Dominion.
Have they started adding more playlists yet? The lack of free-for-all gametypes pissed me off a little.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 am 

Absolutely loving Far Cry 3. And I fucking hated 2.

I may even buy this. Crazy, I know.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 am 

Anyone got Miasmata yet? It just appeared on GOG so I'm assuming it's decent. Open-world survival horror, looks quite similar to Amnesia in the outdoors. Trailer looks epic.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 am 

Anyone considering a console version of Far Cry 3 might want to check out this GiantBomb Quick Look. The first half is on the xbox 360, the 2nd half on PC. The PC version obviously has better IQ, but the xbox's framerate is... far from ideal. If it's the only way you have of playing the game, you might should still pick it up depending on your own tolerance for fps and fps consistency. The game does look so freaking awesome that one might enjoy it despite performance issues. I won't be able to tell you until I have my new PC built. :P

Speaking of performance, I dug into Dark Souls a bit more and noticed a lot of slowdown on the 360, especially when enemies throw firebombs at me. Does the PS3 version have any slowdown or is it simply a result of portage?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 am 

If you think that's bad frame-rate, wait till you get to Blight Town.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 pm 

Firebombs didn't cause slowdown on the PS3 that I recall (unless you had like 10 Hollows throwing those firebombs at you at the same time or something :lol:). But it does have FPS issues in some areas... Blighttown in particular. :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 pm 

So I recently aquired the German Steam version of Bioshock and naturally I want to play it in English. So I switch it to English per ini file. Now it seems that not all but some of the English voice files are simply missing in the German version. It didn't seem a big problem because almost everything worked until now. But now just when I
Spoiler: show
meet Andrew Ryan
he's completely silent while the subtitles clearly indicate he shouldn't be. This is of course not tolerable, so I humbly request; could someone with Bioshock installed please upload the files

streams_5_audio.fsb
streams_6_audio.fsb
streams_7_audio.fsb
streams_99_audio.fsb
streams_aivo_audio.fsb

(normally located in Bioshock\Content\Sounds_Windows)
to Rapidshare or another convenient filehoster and send me the links per PM? It would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I ask myself why I even bother buying games :nono:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:15 pm 

So I am finally catching up with the rest of the universe and starting the Mass Effect series, largely after watching my friend play it and hearing him rave about it for the last year or so. Going through my first run as a Vanguard on Veteran difficulty...One hour in and I love it already. Looking forward to this.

(Then I have Dragon Age and Deus Ex HR waiting for me, so I think I'll be busy for quite a while...)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm 

What the fucking fuck?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Yep, my friend just gifted me that in return for me buying him some stuff on Steam a while ago. A little disappointed THQ didn't include the Supreme Commander series, but I can't complain.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:50 pm 

Holy shit, is that legit?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:12 pm 

Haven't you guys seen a Humble Bundle before? :scratch:

I can't say I approve of this latest one, it seems to discard many of the ideals of previous Bundles. The games are Windows-only, they're DRMed (hey, you know I'm a big Steam fan, but still, there has always been a DRM-free option before), and obviously they're from a major publisher, which wouldn't bother me that much except that the money goes to the publisher rather than the devs... :nono: Hopefully not a sign of things to come, though it seems to be selling like hot cakes.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:19 pm 

I like it. Unlike with the other Humble Bundles you don't have to feel bad for paying the minimum and HOLY SHIT ASS CHEAP GAMES!
Too bad I already "own" three of them on Steam.

Besides, what would you do as a Humble Bundle organizer if some mayor publisher offered to do this? Wouldn't refusing be like a giant, pretentious middle finger to all the Gamers who want to legally play those games?

On the other hand THQ could have done this without using the Humble Bundle brand.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 pm 

Thing about THQ is that they're on the verge of bankruptcy. They're one of the few major publishers who treat their amazing IPs with the respect they deserve so I think they deserve some help.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:22 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Absolutely loving Far Cry 3. And I fucking hated 2.

I may even buy this. Crazy, I know.

I take back most of this. I'm already bored, and the absolutely retarded A.I. definitely isn't helping things.

Certainly does look and sound nice, though!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:06 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Thing about THQ is that they're on the verge of bankruptcy. They're one of the few major publishers who treat their amazing IPs with the respect they deserve so I think they deserve some help.

Indeed.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 am 

I haven't played a ton of Far Cry 3 yet but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Definitely better than 2, which I couldn't get into. Loved the first one.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 am 

I haven't played a ton of Far Cry 3 yet but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Definitely better than 2, which I couldn't get into. Loved the first one.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:43 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Hopefully not a sign of things to come, though it seems to be selling like hot cakes.

Don't think there are grounds for being worried yet. We might see similar bundles pop in the future yet I doubt they'll forego their established indie bundle format. I think it'll be GOG all over again, so everyone's a winner.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Haven't you guys seen a Humble Bundle before? :scratch:

Well, yeah, but it was all games I don't want or care about. These seem almost to big to be in the humble bundle.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:00 pm 

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about here. I can see HB's argument being pretty valid about it going against what the bundles are usually about, but most of the games are bargain bin prices anyways. THQ definitely does put out good stuff most of the time and so they deserve the money, but both this new and last Red Faction games dropped in price insanely fast and Metro is dirt cheap too. They're mostly AAA games on that list, but they've been out for awhile and all anyways.

There seems to be a lot of success in some pay-what-you-want ventures sometimes, so hopefully that's the same case here and helps THQ out.

Also Sleeping Dogs is definitely pretty cool, enjoying it so far to pass the time, but I figure next week I'll get sucked into Far Cry 3.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:04 pm 

THQ could definitely use the money. Because of their financial state I'm not sure I'd worry about the integrity of the bundles quite yet.

You could even say THQ has been... humbled. :P

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm 

You'll like Far Cry 3 if you like:
- Simplistic arcade-style gunplay
- Enormous but repetitive environments
- Slaughtering defenseless animals and using their skins to hold your stolen wealth
- A pretty good story permeated with douchebag characters
- Skrillex

You won't like Far Cry 3 if you like:
- Tactical, challenging combat
- Tactical, challenging stealth
- Non-repetitive gameplay
- Not Skrillex

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:52 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
You'll like Far Cry 3 if you like:
- Simplistic arcade-style gunplay
- Enormous but repetitive environments
- Slaughtering defenseless animals and using their skins to hold your stolen wealth
- A pretty good story permeated with douchebag characters
- Skrillex

You won't like Far Cry 3 if you like:
- Tactical, challenging combat
- Tactical, challenging stealth
- Non-repetitive gameplay
- Not Skrillex

This might be the first time I've agreed with you in years.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464 ... 940  Next