Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
So I just spent all day running around Blighttown looking for a different way out after reaching that locked gate at the top...Didn't realize until watching a walkthrough that I had to go into the spider web to find the boss! I just thought that webbing was a weird lump that was part of the background... :grumble: At least I leveled up a couple times from the sheer number of zombies I killed.

This brings me to a very important point - when you feel stuck in the game or just don't understand something, ask. Do not read the wiki, do not watch walkthroughs. I did this mistake when I was playing the game, and along with the answers I was looking for I also got a bunch of spoilers I absolutely didn't need.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 am 

Well since you are all hooked up on Dark Souls again and yentass gave me carte blanche to ask, here goes: I am stuck in the Duke's Archives. I just freed Logan, made the shortcut back to the beginning of the stage and bought all the sorceries that he sells. I read a walkthrough that said I should now find a door to the Crystal Cave, but I'm not sure I'm on the right track.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 am 

Spoiler: show
You're at the right place, just not at the right room. There should be two rooms in this section, you need to head to the more spacious one. You'll note a peculiar, window-blinds-looking thing on the floor - that's actually a staircase, and the lever to lower it is right next to it. I've missed the lever on my first playthrough as well.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:17 am 

Blighttown :<

I played that once. Never again. Master Key for the win.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 am 

Pussy.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am 

yentass wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
So I just spent all day running around Blighttown looking for a different way out after reaching that locked gate at the top...Didn't realize until watching a walkthrough that I had to go into the spider web to find the boss! I just thought that webbing was a weird lump that was part of the background... :grumble: At least I leveled up a couple times from the sheer number of zombies I killed.

This brings me to a very important point - when you feel stuck in the game or just don't understand something, ask. Do not read the wiki, do not watch walkthroughs. I did this mistake when I was playing the game, and along with the answers I was looking for I also got a bunch of spoilers I absolutely didn't need.

I don't intend to abuse it and only wanted it for pathfinding purposes...running back and forth among Blighttown's dead ends for 3 hours had gotten a bit...frustrating. :P

Thiestru wrote:
Also, the lack of ability to pause is irritating as hell, and a very cheap way to add 'difficulty' (it doesn't, it just pisses the player off).

I think pausing would make it way too easy to break the game, though; you could just hit pause during a tense boss fight to give your fingers a rest or see which way the boss is swinging and the game would immediately become artificially easy. Finding a safe spot in the environment once you've cleared it of enemies isn't that hard.

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Blighttown :<

I played that once. Never again. Master Key for the win.

Things got a lot easier once I worked my strategy out. When I was in the sewers I two-handed the gargoyle halberd to kill the fat crawling things in two hits, then switched to the Uchigatana to pick off the mosquitoes, and rolled fast enough that I could get through the muck without getting poisoned. Up at the top levels I learned how to kite enemies of the ledges or just do a 6-hit Uchi combo to kill the pink zombies before they could even land an attack.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:30 pm 

Metal Gear Solid 5 is the only game I've been super excited for in a long time. Maybe it's just a result of having fallen out of following many contemporary games/franchises, but it just looks so good.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm 

yentass wrote:
You're at the right place, just not at the right room. There should be two rooms in this section, you need to head to the more spacious one. You'll note a peculiar, window-blinds-looking thing on the floor - that's actually a staircase, and the lever to lower it is right next to it. I've missed the lever on my first playthrough as well.

Cool, man, I'll check it out right now!

EDIT: Yup, that's it! I saw it within two seconds of entering the room (I must have entered and waltzed around that room like a trillion times). Thanks man!
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm 

Took Queelag down in about 5 tries. Definitely the easiest boss for me so far (I could hit her four times for about 400 total by double-handing the gargoyle halberd each time she did the lava-spewing attack), so I was surprised at the number of "I can't take this" messages strewn about her grounds.

I found the Chaos Servant outpost thanks to a well-placed message and joined, netting myself a sweet new fireball spell. :D

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:00 am 

So I'm now past the Taurus Demon, but I keep getting killed past the bridge
with the dragon.
I can't seem to find a bonfire, so every time I die I get sent way back. It's quite annoying. Oh well, at least I'm past the Taurus Demon.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:58 am 

Witcher 3 is looking pretty damn awesome. Though I'm not so sure about the armour design. Witcher 2 had some of the best looking armour I've ever seen in a game, yet the one in the Witcher 3 previews just looks.. odd. Not sure about it. But besides that, super fucking excited for it. Oh man!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:53 am 

Thiestru wrote:
with the dragon.
I can't seem to find a bonfire, so every time I die I get sent way back. It's quite annoying. Oh well, at least I'm past the Taurus Demon.

There's an alternate path that takes you underneath the bridge and away from the dragon. Can't remember where it is offhand but it shouldn't be too hard to spot.I think you have to get like a quarter of the way up the bridge-the dragon won't attack you before that point, then there's a staircase on your right.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
with the dragon.

There's an alternate path that takes you underneath the bridge and away from the dragon. Can't remember where it is offhand but it shouldn't be too hard to spot.I think you have to get like a quarter of the way up the bridge-the dragon won't attack you before that point, then there's a staircase on your right.

Yeah, I've been taking that path, but I either get poisoned by the rats and die, or I die as soon as I get to the Undead Parish. I would really like to find a fucking bonfire right about now. I'm running low on supplies.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:14 am 

You're getting damn close. Once you get past that mechanical bull-thing in the parish there are only a few hallways before the next bonfire.

As far the rats, you can try kiting them out to that open area under the bridge so there's more room to fight; sometimes only the first one will follow you and sometimes they'll fall off. If you fight them in that sewer area you have to be a bit more judicious about timing and aiming your rolls.

I just lobbed fireballs from the bridge to kill the bull, but I don't think you have to kill it to progress.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:05 pm 

Being the big Final Fantasy head I was until the abomination that is FF12 came out I'm only playing FF9 for the first time, I like it. I like the ability element to the gameplay as opposed to the junction system or materia system. Different but cool, while I'm enjoying playing it and I've done 30+ hours and am on disc 3 I do have some gripes. First gripe is the music, it's just not as memorable as other FF games and secondly it's quite easy.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 am 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Being the big Final Fantasy head I was until the abomination that is FF12 came out I'm only playing FF9 for the first time, I like it. I like the ability element to the gameplay as opposed to the junction system or materia system. Different but cool, while I'm enjoying playing it and I've done 30+ hours and am on disc 3 I do have some gripes. First gripe is the music, it's just not as memorable as other FF games and secondly it's quite easy.

FF9 was the last solid Final Fantasy, in my opinion. However, you're right, it is a rather easy game. It's kind of one of those games you play once or twice, feel ok about, then just forget about.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 am 

Obsolete post

Last edited by yentass on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I don't intend to abuse it and only wanted it for pathfinding purposes...running back and forth among Blighttown's dead ends for 3 hours had gotten a bit...frustrating. :P

I didn't imply you intend to abuse it, it's just that by just skimming the text/video to find your point of interest, you might run into a lot of other information that you would have preferred to discover by yourself. It happened to me a lot of times when I played it. Also, on an unrelated note - how did you get into Blighttown?

Thiestru wrote:
Yeah, I've been taking that path, but I either get poisoned by the rats and die, or I die as soon as I get to the Undead Parish. I would really like to find a fucking bonfire right about now. I'm running low on supplies.

Next time time you make the descent from the bridge, you might want to look around a bit better and find a shortcut to a previous bonfire.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:50 am 

I found the shortcut to the previous bonfire, and I got past the mechanical bull, but there's still no bonfire in sight. I found a key in one of the rooms past the bull; is that for that gate? I didn't get to find out, because I'm getting killed by this knight dudes, the tall ones with the kite shields. Back to fucking Undead Burg again. I'm really getting sick of this.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:01 am 

Thiestru wrote:
I found the shortcut to the previous bonfire, and I got past the mechanical bull, but there's still no bonfire in sight. I found a key in one of the rooms past the bull; is that for that gate? I didn't get to find out, because I'm getting killed by this knight dudes, the tall ones with the kite shields. Back to fucking Undead Burg again. I'm really getting sick of this.

The guys with the red cloaks? You only need to fight the one in the corridor where theres a spear armed soldier on the other end.

Make sure to avoid the front entrance of the church (with the big stairs and gate to where the bull was) and head straight on to the courtyard instead, where you'll find two sword armed and one crossbow armed undead soldier. Theres a path leading away from the church and into a tower, where you'll find your next bonfire. From there you can explore the church.

Last edited by BlindTortureKill on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:02 am 

Praise the fucking sun! I made it to the next bonfire. :hyper:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:01 pm 

yentass wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

I didn't imply you intend to abuse it, it's just that by just skimming the text/video to find your point of interest, you might run into a lot of other information that you would have preferred to discover by yourself. It happened to me a lot of times when I played it. Also, on an unrelated note - how did you get into Blighttown?

Valid point. I took the Valley of the Drakes to get in.

I really like that I have some freedom now in what to tackle next; either Sen's Fortress, Demon Ruins or New Londo Ruins. Though the boss in the Demon Ruins keeps demolishing me, so I might work on the other two first.

Thiestru wrote:
Praise the fucking sun! I made it to the next bonfire. :hyper:

Congrats! That run to the second Undead Berg/Parish bonfire is pretty tough when you're new, but you're on your way to some cool new areas. Though I plowed through the kite shield knights pretty easily with my fireball. Pyromancy for the win!

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Valid point. I took the Valley of the Drakes to get in.

And THAT'S why taking the master key as a starting gift was a bad idea. There's a proper way to get into Blighttown and that wasn't it. Did the same mistake on my test playthrough (a.k.a. my first playthrough that I eventually scrapped due to figuring out some essential mechanics too little too late) as well.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I really like that I have some freedom now in what to tackle next; either Sen's Fortress, Demon Ruins or New Londo Ruins. Though the boss in the Demon Ruins keeps demolishing me, so I might work on the other two first.

Without venturing too much into spoilers no one asked for, the freedom you have is somewhat of an illusion, as you'll be forced to revisit two of the three places you've listed. With that being said, there's a huge advantage to simply exploring at this point, since once you run into roadblocks (you'll understand when you get there) - at least you'll know where you need to return to, so do take notes about points of interest.

Also, a rule of thumb in this game is that if a fight (or fights) is way too hard - maybe you shouldn't be there yet... with that Demon Ruins (Ceaseless Discharge I assume?) being an exception :wink:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:27 pm 

Well, I realized it was possible to kill Ceaseless Discharge by hiding behind that pillar of rock and wailing on his tentacle when he lashes it, but I had just gotten done with Queelag and wanted to explore a bit more before jumping back into boss-fight mode. It was funny to be taken down a few pegs with him after saying "man, Queelag sure was easy."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:39 pm 

Thiestru, what equipment are you using? It's not weird to struggle early on, but you definitely seem to struggle more than the average. As a tip, make sure you take your time and block or evade attacks and chip in at the enemy rather than mashing blindly and depleting your stamina. I don't know if that's what you're doing, but man if Undead Parish knights are giving you so much trouble, I fear for your sanity later. :lol:

Edit: then again now you've surely found the blacksmith, and you can spend those souls on upgrades for your weapon, which will make things much easier from now on.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:07 pm 

Quick Dark Souls break: Stalker series is on sale on Steam for $5 each. A lot of people talk about Shadow of Chernobyl, which is a good game, but Call of Pripyat is the series' best by far. Check it out if you haven't; the sale reminded me that I'm already late on my annual summer playthrough. :P

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:37 pm 

Sure about that? Because I don't see anything of the sort.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 pm 

Looks like the sale must have just ended. It apparently had been going on since Friday but I'm guessing it stopped at either noon or one for whatever time zone Steam runs off here in the US.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm 

All the Dark Souls talk here makes me even more excited for DS2. Really hope it gives that same feeling of adventuring into the unknown that the first game did.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm 

Speaking of - To those who have played both, how would it be to play Demons Souls after Dark Souls? I could get a PS3 for pretty cheap from the pawnshop here, and I'm so enthralled with Dark Souls now that I want to play everything in that style that I can.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:09 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Quick Dark Souls break: Stalker series is on sale on Steam for $5 each. A lot of people talk about Shadow of Chernobyl, which is a good game, but Call of Pripyat is the series' best by far. Check it out if you haven't; the sale reminded me that I'm already late on my annual summer playthrough. :P

SoC has the far better story and feels overall more complete and varied, but CoP beats it in the gameplay department and is much more polished and not as ridden with bugs and glitches (no idea how SoC compares to that after v1.0004 though). There are some amazing mods for SoC, so definitely get it if you haven't played it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:04 pm 

All this talk about Dark Souls made me pick up the game again too. I rushed through many bosses which I had a hard time before without dying even once this time, a nice feeling when you are a shitty gamer like me.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Speaking of - To those who have played both, how would it be to play Demons Souls after Dark Souls? I could get a PS3 for pretty cheap from the pawnshop here, and I'm so enthralled with Dark Souls now that I want to play everything in that style that I can.

I say go for it, there is nothing wrong with that. Demon's Souls is a slightly different experience in which is not an open world and I find it to be easier, but it's an excellent game you ought to play if you are itching for more.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:04 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Thiestru, what equipment are you using? It's not weird to struggle early on, but you definitely seem to struggle more than the average. As a tip, make sure you take your time and block or evade attacks and chip in at the enemy rather than mashing blindly and depleting your stamina. I don't know if that's what you're doing, but man if Undead Parish knights are giving you so much trouble, I fear for your sanity later. :lol:

Edit: then again now you've surely found the blacksmith, and you can spend those souls on upgrades for your weapon, which will make things much easier from now on.

I'm using a set of Knight's Armor (helmet, leggings, gauntlets, everything) and a Battle Axe. I've upgraded the axe to +3, and the armor's at +1. That's definitely helped a lot. Also, I was going through the game without any sort of ranged weapon; when I finally remembered to use the Undead Merchant in the Undead Burg and load up on firebombs, that made the knights much easier.
Now I'm past the Heavy Knight in the Undead Church, went up the stairs, fought the knight at the top, and managed to get the Channeler a good ways down before he killed me.
I went to bed after that; I'm about to start up again. Unfortunately, I'm out of firebombs now, so this'll definitely be an ordeal.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm 

Hey! Didn't look through the recent pages, but if anyone plays Dota 2, feel free to add me on Steam. My screenname is Leung Jan.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
I'm using a set of Knight's Armor (helmet, leggings, gauntlets, everything) and a Battle Axe. I've upgraded the axe to +3, and the armor's at +1. That's definitely helped a lot. Also, I was going through the game without any sort of ranged weapon; when I finally remembered to use the Undead Merchant in the Undead Burg and load up on firebombs, that made the knights much easier.
Now I'm past the Heavy Knight in the Undead Church, went up the stairs, fought the knight at the top, and managed to get the Channeler a good ways down before he killed me.
I went to bed after that; I'm about to start up again. Unfortunately, I'm out of firebombs now, so this'll definitely be an ordeal.

Try to give bow and arrow a shot. Anyway, all this Dark Souls talk made me want to install this game again, doubt that I'll persevere with it though.

Off the topic of Dark Souls - what do you guys make of the recent Phil Fish incident (summarised pretty well in this video; you can't get better than that since Fish made his twitter account private)?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:03 am 

Good riddance.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:48 am 

Anyone else watching the chairty speedrun streaming marathon?
http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

It's really cool seeing these guys doing what they do, especially for a good cause.

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule
There's going to be a Dark Souls run in a few hours which should interest most of you folk. The whole thing is going to be saved and archived for viewing purposes.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm 

Thiestru wrote:

It is possible to kill him via melee if you time your dodges and rolls properly. I got bored of whittling his health away with arrows so I eventually got right behind him and smacked his ass with my halberd for a while; got him after a few tries.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm 

The Channeler didn't prove that difficult. The Gargoyles were a real chore, but eventually I beat them. But once I got past them, I found... nothing.
Except for the bell, of course.
So I went back down, through the church, past the blacksmith, and now I've been trying to kill the scorpion boss. I did run right past him into the Darkroot Garden, once, but I died there eventually too. Now I'm just focusing on this bitch of a boss, because he's pissed me off. Bleh. We'll see how it goes.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

I did that after playing Dark Souls way too much and I really enjoyed Demon's Souls as well. It may be a little easier to complete the first time, however I found the platinum trophy in Demon's Souls to be a LOT harder than Dark Souls because you need to do 3 and a half playthrus and massive amounts of farming plus all this white/black world tendency stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508 ... 940  Next