Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:06 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

And yeah, that's totally menacing. Sigh.

Needs a NSFW sign, made me jump when I opened it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Yes a few extra idiots will buy the games & a few extra people probably will not buy them for the same reason. Perhaps some of these companies are worried that the actual game sucks so they need to put hotter women in it. Some companies have actually figured out that they don't need that to sell a game if it's actually a good game. I'm indifferent on the situation I'm just trying to give some thoughts/insight on both sides. Yeah It's fucking stupid that characters like the Amazon in Dragon's Crown and various fighters in MK/Street Fighter "decided" to go into deadly hand to hand combat practically naked, but that's just how it is. It's just as bad in Hollywood and TV, take the fast n furious movies for example. A bunch of idiots racing cars illegally swarming in women because they're just so badass, yeah that's how my everyday life is too when I race someone at a stoplight. Sorry that's a bit off topic, now I'm going to go find more games to buy just because they have hot women in them.

This is a very basic and naive argument. Firstly, people aren't 100% rational all the time, yourself included. Secondly, these factors are called nudges. You may be shopping around, looking at stuff, and factors like hot women, cool graphics, a big sticker saying "5.99 only!", and tons of other tiny things that subconsciously nudge and drag you into purchasing it.

People might not buy something JUST for one reason, so isolating it and seeing how stupid it is might make sense to you, but a look at the bigger picture is necessary.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Kojima is so full of contradiction. On the one hand, he wants his work to be taken seriously, with his "important human themes" of genes and memes and stories of child soldiers and war is hell blah blah blah. On the other hand he has these convoluted clusterfuck of plots that would make most Anime writers blush, he clearly has a hard-on for all these war gadgets he "laments" so much, and silly nonsense like the B&B crap and a dude who shoots bees at you, and this new character whom he admits was designed that way just to sell more figurines.

Anybody can manipulate the camera and zoom in for a naughty view. Wouldn't ignoring all the dialog, back story, and set up of 4 awesome villains to just one zoomed in camera pose be objectification in itself? Ignoring everything else about the character and fixating on one physical aspect. That's not a good thing right?

Sort of like if someone were to post this.

Spoiler: show

And completely ignore Vamp as a character.

When you first see the B&B corps they're absolutely menacing. There is nothing sexy about psychopaths with access to high technology. I don't find that hot. Does anyone? Does anyone want to be locked in a room with a member of the B&B Corps? With the exception of The Boss, who is more awesome than all four put together, they're more threatening than just about any other Metal Gear character.

And the convoluted story of Metal Gear is silly. I always thought the over top villains was kind of Bond-esque and cool.

Edit:

Here is the B&B Corps I know and love.

Last edited by Kahalachan on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
There is nothing sexy about psychopaths with access to high technology. I don't find that hot. Does anyone? Does anyone want to be locked in a room with a member of the B&B Corps?

You'd be surprised...

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

:o ... what a ass

Last edited by Necromaniac99 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:08 am 

somefella wrote:

This is a very basic and naive argument. Firstly, people aren't 100% rational all the time, yourself included. Secondly, these factors are called nudges. You may be shopping around, looking at stuff, and factors like hot women, cool graphics, a big sticker saying "5.99 only!", and tons of other tiny things that subconsciously nudge and drag you into purchasing it.

People might not buy something JUST for one reason, so isolating it and seeing how stupid it is might make sense to you, but a look at the bigger picture is necessary.

Thanks captain fucking obvious. People seem to be good at focusing on JUST one thing in this stupid argument though. Ugh why did I throw myself into this when I don't even fucking care about this topic? Will this ever end? I'm playing NI NO KUNI AND IT FUCKING RULES!!! :finger: :guns: :puke: :argue: :brick: I'm done

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
Anybody can manipulate the camera and zoom in for a naughty view.

Uh, no. The point is that once the boss has removed the armour, if you take out the camera the character will stop and do a sexy pose just for you. Do you not get that? Also, apparently, if you play a certain song from an equipped iPod they will even dance for you (which also gives a trophy)... :nono:

Quote:
Wouldn't ignoring all the dialog, back story, and set up of 4 awesome villains to just one zoomed in camera pose be objectification in itself? Ignoring everything else about the character and fixating on one physical aspect. That's not a good thing right?

Way to miss the point. Besides, the back story isn't even told by these characters themselves, they're told second-hand by Drebin; they have no voice of their own. And these characters are completely vapid. They have these horrific traumatic stories, but that's all they have; they are empty shells, reduced to insanity, completely one-dimensional. They have no personality and no real motivation. They are so flat that even their names are stolen from MGS1 (Wolf, Raven, Octopus and Mantis) and 3 (Crying/The Sorrow, Raging/The Fury, Laughing/The Joy, Screaming/The Pain). Not to mention their weapons/attack patterns are derived from MGS2 bosses. Kojima was so lacking in imagination that he literally recycled assets from previous games.

This quote from a NeoGAF poster summarized the shittiness of these bosses, and the writing in MGS4, perfectly well:

"Laughing Badger watched her whole family killed by badgers. She still hears the screams of the badgers in her sleep, badgering her mind. The evil badger spirit lives on in her, consume by rage, where all she can do is laugh. She also has to dress in very tight outfits and we got sexy official 3D renders because badgers killed her whole family."

If you don't get why it's super fucking creepy that a woman traumatized to insanity from her childhood in war-torn Africa purposefully shows her (skintight suit) ass to the in-game camera , then I don't know what could possibly convince you.

Quote:
Sort of like if someone were to post this.

And completely ignore Vamp as a character.

How is that relevant to what I'm saying? If during the Boss fight, she started posing sexily for your camera and flashing her tits like a stripper, you'd think "oh it's not objectifying 'cause the Boss is otherwise cool"? Or would you not think "wow, way to degrade a formerly awesome character into a stupid sex object"? Or maybe you'd just go "hurr hurr she's hawt", or maybe "ewww an older woman with saggy tits, do not want", for all I know.

Sick6Six wrote:
Thanks captain fucking obvious. People seem to be good at focusing on JUST one thing in this stupid argument though. Ugh why did I throw myself into this when I don't even fucking care about this topic? Will this ever end? I'm playing NI NO KUNI AND IT FUCKING RULES!!! :finger: :guns: :puke: :argue: :brick: I'm done

The stupid, it burns.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 am 

2D games from major publishers aren't dead yet! Check out two of the games Ubisoft has just announced, both running on the fantastic Ubi-Art engine (Rayman).

Child of Light, a JRPG/platformer hybrid of sorts.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War, a puzzle/adventure game set in World War I.

Both look very interesting, original, and gorgeous to boot.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 am 

I've been enjoying Diablo again.

Not II or III, since I've got a shitty $200 comp, but a mod for the Hellfire expansion of the original. I'm a sucker for mods, and this because English is the second language of the makers and the bad English really is enjoyable. Not to mention crazy new monsters everywhere, and heaps more unique characters.

I used to really dig the Tyranid mod for Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. I love DIY software shit, especially this, which is only really enjoyable with another player.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
2D games from major publishers aren't dead yet!

I wouldn't celebrate just yet, seeing the output fitting that particular niche was and continues to be almost exclusively Ubisoft's (a.k.a. probably the last major publisher willing to take risks and not opt for the safe money) and not a sweeping trend.

The games sure look pretty though.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 am 

apparently Dishonored: Game of the year edition is being censored in Australia and only rated MA 15+, i thought we had an R18+ rating

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/ ... b%2bdjp8Yt

first one is Original and the game of the year edition says Modified where original was

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/ ... %2bdjp8YtZ

not sure if modified means something else but this is a joke if its censored

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Uh, no. The point is that once the boss has removed the armour, if you take out the camera the character will stop and do a sexy pose just for you. Do you not get that? Also, apparently, if you play a certain song from an equipped iPod they will even dance for you (which also gives a trophy)... :nono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl0t41ISbvY

That's pretty much how pop singers or models look.

Looks more like a silly easter egg depicting someone threatening as a celebrity.

So no I don't get that. It looks more funny than sexy. The characters never show revealing poses to you. You have to purposely manipulate the camera for that and not finish them off in human form. And any pervert can do that to any female character.

Sure the B&B aren't the deepest characters, but they're still fun and threatening bosses that I don't really see as sexy at all.

This is a sexy pose in a skintight outfit.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

Nothing sexy about it, more like anatomically impossible (might actually be the stupid perspective that makes it look like a Twister-freak-accident though).

Also you realize that pop singers and models try to look sexy all the time?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm 

Back Stabbath wrote:
I've been enjoying Diablo again.

I missed the boat on this one, I guess I was too young, just barely too young. I did, however, play Diablo II the day it came out at a buddy's house. Daily excursions to his place after school became commonplace. In fact, I'm still playing D2 today. The replay value is endless, mostly because of the nearly endless loot possibilities.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:54 pm 

The B&B Corps video was super disturbing. Anyone who doesn't see that as blatant objectification built into the game by the game developers is jumping through serious mental hoops in order to remain in such a state of denial. Holy shit.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:13 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The B&B Corps video was super disturbing. Anyone who doesn't see that as blatant objectification built into the game by the game developers is jumping through serious mental hoops in order to remain in such a state of denial. Holy shit.

Yeah it's blatant. Not to mention it's super creepy to have this "silly funny sexy dance" on a character who has pretty much suffered the worst possible kind of trauma. Child soldiers and mass executions and child starvation? Sooooo funny. Kojima's so DEEP MAN

Edit:

Quote:
The characters never show revealing poses to you. You have to purposely manipulate the camera for that and not finish them off in human form.

So what? It's still in the game.
Quote:
And any pervert can do that to any female character.

Uh, no? You can't make Sniper Wolf or the Boss pose and dance for you. The fuck are you talking about?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:45 pm 

Any game with an adjustable and controllable camera can let a player zoom in on their butts. That's what I'm talking about. You could do the same with Snake in his skintight armor.

Making them dance is an Easter egg. I don't think people get that.

See, Snake is supposed to use his camera for reconnaissance and surveillance. But there you can use it to film a music video or for a modeling photoshoot. That's the gag.

It's not funny. But I certainly don't see that as having girls be my sex objects to enjoy.

Kojima's attempts at humor or any kind of good gag just flat out suck is what it is.

"This soldier craps his pants a lot. Get it?"

This jab at Kojima is a million times funnier than anything he's ever done.

I think the only times a game legitimately made me laugh is Uncharted and Borderlands 2. I mean literally laugh out loud.

Well Bethesda games have made me laugh a whole bunch, but that's unintentional with their bugs and AI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQW14PVDew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:06 am 

Kahalachan wrote:

I hope they put this as a character skin. It's just too good.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:04 am 

Kahalachan wrote:

Hahaha goddamn.

And I agree about Bethesda games. Some of the bugs in Oblivion are pure comedy.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:20 am 

Nochielo wrote:

BRILLIANT. It's kinda a great Manowar lookin' avatar of a lot of MA users, should be a default avatar for when you get past whatever amount of posts is past "metal newbie".

I am joking. I've always wondered why there are no avatars to spice up these forums, and why the "ranking" names imply knowledge of metal is based on the users amount of posts. This however, is an awesome flaw, like if Fenris joined and had to be a "mall metalhead" or whatever it is until he ran his mouth off enough.

Actually, come to think of it, what game is that from again? A lot of my gay friends are gonna want to play it, for real.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 am 

No game. It's a fan made parody of this, which is a character in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid game.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:22 am 

Damn. I was really hoping it was "Snake Siskin does Dallas" or something.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:32 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Any game with an adjustable and controllable camera can let a player zoom in on their butts. That's what I'm talking about.

And that's not what I'm talking about at all. It's not about being able to zoom on their butts, it's about them stopping what they're doing and going out of their way to pose for you. But since you are in denial, it's no use explaining it further.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 am 

Morrigan wrote:
And that's not what I'm talking about at all. It's not about being able to zoom on their butts, it's about them stopping what they're doing and going out of their way to pose for you. But since you are in denial, it's no use explaining it further.

Or it could be.........some people have different interpretations, perspectives, and views :O Yeah crazy stuff. That can happen.

Singing and dancing and posing doesn't bug me. It's a silly joke to me. I don't share your pessimism about the B&B corps.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:17 am 

Jokes can't be sexist, duh Morrigan.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 am 

I don't really care if someone says sexism or objectification doesn't bother them (it rarely truly bothers me, what bothers me more is the denials and attitudes of people towards those whom it does bother), but to deny that it's there is just pathetic wilful ignorance.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:03 am 

Why is it denial?

It could be honest disagreement. A completely different perspective.

I'm fine with people seeing the B&B corps as sexist objectification and completely accept that differing view and am fine with the debate :) In the reverse however.........we're in denial, ignorant, sexist, and so on.....

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:24 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
I'm fine with people seeing the B&B corps as sexist objectification and completely accept that differing view and am fine with the debate :) In the reverse however.........we're in denial, ignorant, sexist, and so on.....

Because it doesn't really affect you in any way. Imagine arguing with a black guy about racism - for you it's this abstract thing that happens to other people, so to you the outcome of the argument doesn't really matter either way. For him, it affects him every day of his life.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Because it doesn't really affect you in any way. Imagine arguing with a black guy about racism - for you it's this abstract thing that happens to other people, so to you the outcome of the argument doesn't really matter either way. For him, it affects him every day of his life.

I can see that. I'm just gonna back out from here on.

Morrigan and I really butt heads on this. I mean I see the point of view, I just don't share it at all. I see Morrigan as an awesome Demon's Souls player and not an object. My boss, while attractive, is just so damn good at her job and is the linchpin that holds us together. I totally respect her as a professional. I rarely see sexism and am not sexist.

So in reverse, imagine arguing with a little kid who really doesn't see race as an issue and has that fun loving innocence. It's not there for me and has no effect on me.

I would like to validate the emotions of people who are bothered by this and I should do this a bit more when this issue comes up.

So that's all I have to say about that.

GTAV coming out soon. I don't see it as dethroning The Last of Us as my favorite game this year, but I hope to see a game worthy of the hype it's getting.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 am 

Have you considered that, if you don't think the B&B Corps are sexist, that maybe you are sexist but you just aren't aware of it?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
Why is it denial?

It could be honest disagreement. A completely different perspective.

A blind one. I've already explained why they are textbook objectification. It doesn't bother you, fine, but it's so obviously there, that if the B&B photo shoots aren't objectification then nothing is.

failsafeman wrote:

I believe we call that... privilege. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am 

MAN HOW GOOD IS SUPER MARIO RPG FOR THE SNES?

The combat is easy and fun, and it's never really challenging - and the story is fairly standard. But the delivery is really funny, and it was the first time Mario was used as a character, rather than a template. Plus, it's actually a fairly well constructed comedy.

Playing through on my emulator.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 pm 

Looks like no more Monster Hunter or Dragon's Dogma or Street Fighter :(

http://gaminrealm.com/2013/09/10/capcom-152-mil-bank/

While 152 million in the bank doesn't seem like that much, it took more than that to make Grand Theft Auto V.

Nintendo made more than this amount in 3 months.

They got greedy and hopefully with this small remaining budget, they'll put out something the fans love. If not, hopefully they get bought out by someone who shows us consumers more love.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:05 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
MAN HOW GOOD IS SUPER MARIO RPG FOR THE SNES?

The combat is easy and fun, and it's never really challenging - and the story is fairly standard. But the delivery is really funny, and it was the first time Mario was used as a character, rather than a template. Plus, it's actually a fairly well constructed comedy.

Playing through on my emulator.

Man, I really should dust off my cart sometime. I played it only once (had a lot of fun) but couldn't finish the game because my characters weren't strong enough for the final boss. And I couldn't back up to level up some more.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

I believe we call that... privilege. ;)

Actually, there's a more specific term than that.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Man, I really should dust off my cart sometime. I played it only once (had a lot of fun) but couldn't finish the game because my characters weren't strong enough for the final boss. And I couldn't back up to level up some more.

Yeah I played Super Mario RPG a lot as a kid like many of us did. Great game, but it is honestly pretty simple, kind of like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (also a great title). My favorite area was Booster Tower.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Repost : :o :o :o :-P

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm 

God damn it, I want to play Grand Theft Auto V already. The leaked clips made the wait feel even longer. I want iiiit.

Just gonna watch Heat over and over to kill time.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm 

Yeah, I gotta stop watching these leaks or I'll drive myself crazy waiting for the game.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:09 am 

Everybody said all the same stuff about GTAIV, it was garnering perfect scores from gaming websites the internet over, but nowadays most people can agree that it's pretty, but dull and irritating and just generally a piece of bug ridden filth.

So basically I'm not going to get excited about GTAV until it's been out for a few months, and if (and only if) the hype is still as over the top as it is now, then maybe I'll be a little more optimistic. I've just been through this too many times at this point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519 ... 940  Next