Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am 

The Monster Hunter games on the 2/3DS are amazing, I bought a 3DS just to play those a couple years ago. If they release a Monster Hunter on Switch I will definitely buy one. The Zelda set in the Link to the Past world was one of the better Zelda games I've ever played also.

I finished my first playthru of Persona 5 at 125 hours! Game of the century!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 am 

Man, you'd think having no kids and working 40 hours in 4 days would mean I'd have extended weekends to just zone out and play games. But no! Somehow I'm always busy so I'm only 30 hours in and haven't even found the target for the third palace yet. I think I'll just quit my job.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 am 

thank you i will look at monster hunter, also zelda is usually fairly reliable so i will look at those games too, on persona 5 i got about 40 hours in, i plan on finishing the rest but i took a bit of a break, with so many new games for me its difficult to focus on just one, i am around the 5th or 6th palace right now, i think i just finished the palace for the redhead party member

just completed outlast 2

also new trailer for the surge which i am hoping is good

for me my main concern was those boring outdoor environments but the indoor environments look much better imo, hardly groundbreaking but they look a lot better than the outdoor environments imo, thanks to bloodborne i am in a soulsish mood right now

a preview

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:24 pm 

Sl1 Manus down, i'm having a stroke :lol:

Special thanks to the silver pendant, the flipping ring and my trusty slow, short and barely damaging battleaxe

...this game is so good when you win :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:36 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Sl1 Manus down, i'm having a stroke :lol:

Special thanks to the silver pendant, the flipping ring and my trusty slow, short and barely damaging battleaxe

...this game is so good when you win :lol:

Congrats! I beat him with a.... light crossbow+15, LOL. Kid you not, everything else had failed, but kiting him safely from a distance is what worked best.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:41 am 

i have not been able to get into Nier automata as much as i have wanted to so far, i mean the only issue i am having is the combat i was expecting something similar to metal gear rising revengence but it doesnt feel that good, it doesnt have the same fluidity or strength behind it, maybe i just suck at the game and its not the games fault it just feels off and i dont know how to describe it

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:49 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Congrats! I beat him with a.... light crossbow+15, LOL. Kid you not, everything else had failed, but kiting him safely from a distance is what worked best.

That sounds insane, i don't think that my nerves can handle a death after fifteen minutes of fight! :lol:

I agree, he's more manageable whe he his far away. The only super dangerous attack is the frontal Dark Bead-like one, it seems faster than his other moves

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:21 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
i have not been able to get into Nier automata as much as i have wanted to so far, i mean the only issue i am having is the combat i was expecting something similar to metal gear rising revengence but it doesnt feel that good, it doesnt have the same fluidity or strength behind it, maybe i just suck at the game and its not the games fault it just feels off and i dont know how to describe it

Don't let the internet hype fool you, that game is extremely boring ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:49 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Don't let the internet hype fool you, that game is extremely boring ;)

lol i know its not your kinda thing :P but i thought it would be my kinda thing but put it this way combat in bloodborne feels a lot better and a lot easier and bloodborne isnt an easy game :P i'll give it a few more hours but i am not feeling it like i thought i would so far though the shooting sections have been enjoyable but considering they are just every so often they are not enough to carry the game

yay i defeated the first boss in bloodborne, sure its not difficult but its a win i'll take

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 am 

i am irritated i was within 2 hits of killing father gascoigne my first go, i screwed myself though because i made him enter beast mode early

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:54 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

Here's a tip - keep track of the chips you have (it's perfectly possible that you're not even aware you've been collecting those, since the game is on the obtuse side of the spectrum as far as its mechanics and their presentation is concerned), as they're the ones in charge of "spicing up" the combat mechanics.

But yeah, can't say NieR: Automata leaves that stellar of a first impression, and it certainly takes its sweet time with getting its hooks and quirks in. When it does, though... it is advised to persevere, is what I'm getting at. Can't really blame you if you choose not, though.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 pm 

yentass wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Here's a tip - keep track of the chips you have (it's perfectly possible that you're not even aware you've been collecting those, since the game is on the obtuse side of the spectrum as far as its mechanics and their presentation is concerned), as they're the ones in charge of "spicing up" the combat mechanics.

But yeah, can't say NieR: Automata leaves that stellar of a first impression, and it certainly takes its sweet time with getting its hooks and quirks in. When it does, though... it is advised to persevere, is what I'm getting at. Can't really blame you if you choose not, though.

i have seen the chips but honestly i have not really looked into them yet, thank you a lot for the advice i am massively into a bloodborne mood so i wont yet but as soon as i get stuck which knowing me should be very soon or till i complete bloodborne(far less likely) i will try it again and look into the chips but right now bloodborne has a hold of me.

thank you for the advice though because its a game i do want to enjoy and i have loved the top down shooting sections as they remind me of the first video game i ever played with raystorm

also screw the blood starved beast

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 am 

I shed soft tears for everybody who can't get into Nier ;_;

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
I shed soft tears for everybody who can't get into Nier ;_;

i wont give up trying but bloodborne is taking up too much of my time right now, i do enjoy the shooting so most combat situations i just run and shoot but i dont enjoy the swordplay part yet sadly

i am really late to the party, i defeated Vicar Amelia my first try which i am pretty happy with, the blood starved beast still sucks though, i still got my starting axe is there a better weapon in should be using or not yet?

yay i beat blood stained beast, i did it without the help of Alfred but i fought it twice with him and couldnt beat it so Alfred sucks apparently

for someone who has played the game does it matter if i kill Alfred? i just felt like it

also i am not sure why but father Gascoigne reminds me of the abyss watchers

i am still looking forward to see how this goes

plus i got injustice 2 pre ordered and prey pre ordered coming out in a few days

also announcement trailer for code vein looks good imo, looks weird though

kinda like a more japanese dark souls that isnt nioh

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:58 pm 

YUS!

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:03 pm 

yentass wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm 

I was about to post that Code Vein trailer. Basically my thoughts go as follows:

Pros: environments look awesome, and combat indeed looks inspired by the Souls series.

Cons: characters and creatures look as if they were thought up by an emo Tetsuya Nomura. Fuck off.

As for The Surge, well, on paper, a sci fi style Soulsborne experience should be something that drives me crazy with hype, but everything I've seen related to this game just seems, I dunno... dull? Like there's something missing. Still, I won't write it off just yet.
yentass wrote:

This though? This I can get excited about.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:34 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I was about to post that Code Vein trailer. Basically my thoughts go as follows:

Pros: environments look awesome, and combat indeed looks inspired by the Souls series.

Cons: characters and creatures look as if they were thought up by emo Tetsuya Nomura. Fuck off

As for The Surge, well, on paper, a sci fi style Soulsborne experience should be something that drives me crazy with hype, but everything I've seen related to this game just seems, I dunno... dull? Like there's something missing. Still, I won't write it off just yet.
yentass wrote:

This though? This I can get excited about.

personally i dont think the creatures look bad(they dont look good though just alright imo) but yes i am not a fan of the characters, at least how they look, and on the surge i think its a lot to do with me being so obsessed with bloodborne right now but i am eating up anything like that and for me i love the look of the combat, the weapons look great too at least the weapon variety looks good and i like how enemies behave differently depending on the weapon they have however i do worry that bosses will be garbage and environments will be boring, the starting area bores me to tears but i have seem some decent looking environments too

so i know i shouldnt be so hyped for the surge especially considering environments is a huge part of those kind of video games, i know what you mean about the surge though i dont like how you have to play as one specific character and the bosses do not look good so far(and bosses are a huge part of those kind of games too) so its more of a wait and see but i do look forward to reviews for it and if its a solid souls experience i will get it on sale

darksiders 3 looks good, sadly i have not really played much of the series, i only rented the first one but it was fun and i hear good things about the series

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:45 pm 

Well, the first Darksiders is basically a darker Zelda with lots of hack 'n' slash elements and a sort of comic book aesthetic. It's good, but a bit one dimensional and not exactly mind-blowing. Darksiders 2 though? That one's just awesome, as they added lots of stuff that the first one didn't have, such as cool Prince of Persia style platforming, bigger RPG elements, a randomized loot system a la Diablo, and a bigger, better world with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. Death is also just a more interesting protagonist than War in general, mainly thanks to Michael Wincott's impeccable voice acting and some fantastically witty writing.

Seriously, go play that shit.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue May 02, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:50 pm 

its weird i have always heard that the 2nd one was the inferior of the 2, once i am over my bloodborne obsession i will try to find it(maybe its on the playstation store) because anything zeldaish i am happy to give a shot

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:56 pm 

Well, whoever told you that is wrong :-P Darksiders 2 is pretty much better in every way. Playing the first one is still worth it though, if you can find it for cheap.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:41 pm 

Finally a PS4 again. My brother had one on which I always played, but when I moved in with my girlfriend I couldn't take it with me off course. Got a free extra controller and Ratchet and clank. Although my brother already had that one and I played it a couple of times.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, whoever told you that is wrong :-P Darksiders 2 is pretty much better in every way. Playing the first one is still worth it though, if you can find it for cheap.

Dunno about this one. Darksiders 2 is pretty much the Arkham City to Darksiders 1's Arkham Knight; it certainly brought improvements to the formula, but in general I would say that the leaner, tighter experience of the latter works better than the broader scope of the former as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't declare neither as "inferior" though, both are a total blast to play.

On the subject of voice acting - this is probably the one thing I'm not that excited about from the reveal of the new game, as it lacks the distinct flavor of the previous installments. I'm fully aware and taking into consideration the fact that only four words were spoken in the trailer though.

As far as The Surge goes, I'm pretty stoked about this one to be honest, and not due to the obvious reasons either - the game pretty much had me sold on it the moment it basically pitched itself as a modern re-imagining of Cyborg Justice. Souls-like combat? That's merely a guarantee that its combat system works for me. Furthermore, one can already find first impressions' videos of the game on YouTube by Dark Souls focused channels, and these seem rather favorable (some even commend the level design, so that's a big plus).

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:12 pm 

So it's crunch time for my wife's writing [she's working on a PhD] and it will be to the fall. She needs time to focus which means I'll have a little more time for hobbies and such. Can folks recommend me good single-player games for the Playstation 3? I just beat Uncharted 3 and have really enjoyed that series. (Too bad #4 is only for the PS4...) I also have the first two Bioshock games and the Killzone series. I'm considering getting the Metal Gear pack that has basically all the games from the stuff on the old Nintendo to Metal Gear Solid 4. I used to have MGS 2 for the PS2 and thought it was pretty cool. I was looking at Bioshock 3 and The Last Of Us but I'm not sure I want to get games that are quite that violent and gruesome... My tastes have changed some on that front (which means Deadspace is probably out too). Thanks!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:20 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
So it's crunch time for my wife's writing [she's working on a PhD] and it will be to the fall. She needs time to focus which means I'll have a little more time for hobbies and such. Can folks recommend me good single-player games for the Playstation 3? I just beat Uncharted 3 and have really enjoyed that series. (Too bad #4 is only for the PS4...) I also have the first two Bioshock games and the Killzone series. I'm considering getting the Metal Gear pack that has basically all the games from the stuff on the old Nintendo to Metal Gear Solid 4. I used to have MGS 2 for the PS2 and thought it was pretty cool. I was looking at Bioshock 3 and The Last Of Us but I'm not sure I want to get games that are quite that violent and gruesome... My tastes have changed some on that front (which means Deadspace is probably out too). Thanks!

The Resistance trilogy is an excellent PS3-exclusive FPS series, in my opinion. Gggmanlives reviewed all three games very fairly, imho, and showcases them accurately.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 pm 

Thanks! I had forgotten about those but remember hearing good things about them. I'll check out those reviews.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:48 pm 

Kerrick wrote:

I just revisited the Saints Row series, specifically 3 and 4. Had a ton of fun still, those games are total time sinks. Also, I had a lot of fun with Anarchy Reigns, and that's dirt cheap nowadays. Probably because it's primarily a multi-player game, and every ps3/360 lobby is a ghost-town. But still, its single-player campaign lasts about 20 hours and its actually pretty solid overall. You should definitely get an MGS collection though, that's a good idea.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 pm 

I maintain that everything about the Saints Row series should be thrown out and simply replaced with more Insurance Fraud. I would play an entire full priced game of nothing but Insurance Fraud. It's the single greatest achievement in videogame history.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 pm 

Yeah, like a series of levels in different time periods and locations, bouncing off of planets and pyramids, I'd buy the SHIT out of that game.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
its fun so far but i hear it gets samey
Well it's survival horror without weapons, the option is to hide (maybe find a clue) and go, that is the entire game. So samey is a moot observation

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, like a series of levels in different time periods and locations, bouncing off of planets and pyramids, I'd buy the SHIT out of that game.

BastardHead wrote:
I maintain that everything about the Saints Row series should be thrown out and simply replaced with more Insurance Fraud. I would play an entire full priced game of nothing but Insurance Fraud. It's the single greatest achievement in videogame history.

This already kinda exists, it's called Pain.

Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:13 am 

Nioh DLC, here we go!

Not sure if I'm feeling that new weapon type... would have preferred a naginata or nunchuks or something cooler.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:55 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:
its fun so far but i hear it gets samey
Well it's survival horror without weapons, the option is to hide (maybe find a clue) and go, that is the entire game. So samey is a moot observation

Aka the worst kind of horror game.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:34 am 

sounds like i will be playing both darksiders games when i can, i want to try both

i enjoyed playing outlast 2 but its not something i am going to be playing again either, for me the worst kind of horror is something like five nights at freddies, all the scares are from jump scares

....sorry too much the surge :P i love the drone though it looks like a useful thing to use, i would love for you to be able to have a flak cannon in one arm and a energy weapon in the 2nd hand/on the 2nd arm

also new crash gameplay

also amusing bloodborne highlights video i love these kind of videos, well this one is amusing imo

just saw a clip of the surge where the main character uses some sort of fire AOE attack which looked interesting.

i have reached a bit of a speed bump in bloodborne but i am still enjoying it

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 pm 

I loved both Darksiders games. I can see people preferring the leaner first game for sure, but count me in for liking the second one more. The increased RPG elements were just fantastic I thought. Like Jimquisition or whatever he's called, I'm definitely quite excited as I was sure the series was dead, too.

Maybe I'll get those remastered versions of the first two games and run through 'em sometime...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:13 am 

i just got psn plus and it feels weird running all of bloodborne with phantoms running around, kept mistaking them for enemies at first for a few seconds

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 am 

I aquired a 144hz monitor and my monster killing efficiency in Doom 2016 has literally doubled. Arcade leaderboards here I come.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:48 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:
Well it's survival horror without weapons

Aka the worst kind of horror game.

Or the best?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:45 am 

sorry i swear this is the last video of the surge i will post because i know i am one of the few people excited for it but here it is

i love the look of the combat i dont know why though it looks like it would feel fun imo for the most part(talking just combat)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:48 am 

Almost ended my sl1 run: only Gwyn is missing.
He is giving me more troubles than expected (parrying him to oblivion its not easy when you die in two hits) but i don't think he will last for long

So far has been really rewarding and a nice final goodbye to the game before i move to my next one: ...Cisco packet tracer :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 806, 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812 ... 940  Next