Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hmm, this Resident Evil 7 talk definitely has me intrigued. I basically wouldn't have cared about RE5 at all except for it being fun to play co-op, but I heard 6 was basically all the worst parts of 5 with nothing redeeming about it so I skipped it totally. Good to hear that 7 is both a return to the roots as well as a fresh new take at the same time. That game length is a bit disappointing though...I think I put like 30 hours into RE4 playthroughs? Oh well, I'm not gonna buy it until it's super cheap anyway.

The length is pretty par for the course for survival horror games. Probably a bit longer, I used to be able to run through REmake in less than an hour.

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Quick question about Resident Evil 7, spoilers:

Spoiler: show
How in the hell did a huge (military??) tanker ship get in the middle of the Louisiana bayou? Like what the hell? Did I miss something or is that just totally crazy?

Iirc, it's that that it got washed up in a hurricane three years prior to the game.

I think the bigger question is how the Bakers are the only people in the world to notice this gigantic tanker that washed up on the bayou.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 pm 

@RE7

The Red Snifit wrote:
Iirc, it's that that it got washed up in a hurricane three years prior to the game.

I think the bigger question is how the Bakers are the only people in the world to notice this gigantic tanker that washed up on the bayou.

Ah I think I vaguely remember that being mentioned in the story. Seems hard to believe though such a huge tanker could end up there. I suppose it was cruising near the Louisiana coast in the Gulf of Mexico.

That's a good point too. lol The Umbrella Corps were apparently watching the events that were unfolding with the Bakers for a couple years it sounds like though. So they knew it was there, maybe they were attempting to keep it covered up as much as possible, which might explain why they did nothing about the killings the Bakers were doing. Still it's a god damn tanker ship, it should be visible for 3-4 miles in all directions since it's like Louisiana and it's flat....

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:04 am 

Anyone far in Nioh yet? I'm enjoying the sub missions, (low level) twilight missions and co-op too much, so I've only reached the third main mission from the world map. This game is great.

Axes aren't supposed to be very good, but I found an incredibe one (exotic Masakari Axe) which I've been leveling up since the first mission. At level 12, its way stronger than many other melee weapons at levels +20! Only problem is, to make it any stronger, I'll have to invest 100-400k compared to many other weapons which I can upgrade for 5-40k.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:56 am 

Not that far yet. I was out of town for 4 days and couldn't play. Just got to world 2 and did like, one major boss only + some side missions.

Game is as awesome as I expected. <3

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:29 am 

anyone excited for prey 2

i cant wait

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:33 am 

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 am 

Currently playing Baldur's Gate Dragonspear for the first time. Not too bad so far. I'll probably do a second BG2 run afterwards but not sure of which party. It takes me an eternity to finish a game either way.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:

i cant wait

I am so hyped. It looks like the System Shock successor I always wanted but never got.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:20 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

i cant wait

I am so hyped. It looks like the System Shock successor I always wanted but never got.

It apparently runs like shit on the PC right now, according to PC Gamer.

Hmmm...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 pm 

i sadly missed out on system shock i remember a lot of people said bioshock was that game but i admit i dont have a clue it kinda does have the vibe of bioshock, dead space and dishonored but it sucks if it runs like garbage on PC for me i have an xbox one(sadly) so i will just get it on that

also that mass effect video looks amazing despite its faults i have always enjoyed mass effect

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:20 pm 

Yo, that Mass Effect combat looks real slick. Talk about making a cover-based shooter dynamic as fuck.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
It apparently runs like shit on the PC right now, according to PC Gamer..

:(

It releases in May, right? Maybe they can fix it . . .

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 pm 

Fuck me, I'll probably have to pay an arm and a leg to upgrade my compy to play the new Mass Effect. D:

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 pm 

Pro-tip for Nioh (probably obvious for Souls vets, though): when chugging through a main mission, pay attention to the effects/stats of static loot in a level (ie. From treasure chests and non-combative corpses); armor sets, weapons, accessories, and even consumables are VERY likely to help you with the boss fight.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:08 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
It apparently runs like shit on the PC right now, according to PC Gamer..

:(

It releases in May, right? Maybe they can fix it . . .

Here's hoping. The quote from PC Gamer on its performance:

PC Gamer wrote:
Prey is being developed on PCs and Arkane Studios is intent on releasing a fully-featured PC version, but in my hour of playtime it didn’t run like a dream. The framerate wasn’t consistent at all, objects clipped through walls regularly, I saw object and texture pop-in when opening doors on occasion—it wasn’t unplayable, just surprisingly rough and not up to the standards I’d expect from a retail release, yet. Keep in mind that this was an early build and that I couldn’t pinpoint the specs of the PC it was running on.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Fuck me, I'll probably have to pay an arm and a leg to upgrade my compy to play the new Mass Effect. D:

You can pick up a GTX 1050 ti for rather cheap these days; $100-150, and it'd surely run the game at 1080p on mostly high settings.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 am 

This game is stupid, but I love it.

Also, Morrigan, you have no excuse now. You gotta buy For Honor.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 pm 

lol @ the guy leaving the session, does that mean he RQ?

Anyway, those are nice hitboxes in the second gif but that slow motion shit, uurgh...?

How's the campaign?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:39 pm 

Yes he RQ. Those are i-frames, not a hitbox thing. And IDK how the campaign is, I just got the game for the PvP. It looks kinda bad to me, though. Like, only reason I would consider playing it is to unlock cosmetics for the PvP modes.

EDIT: Also the game is grind-to-win outside of the 1v1 and 2v2 modes. Fortunately I care mostly about the 1v1, but it's a bummer that you can get shit like supergeared Peacekeepers who bleed you for 90% health from a couple of attacks in the 4v4 modes.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 am 

Talented Juli wrote:
Yes he RQ. Those are i-frames, not a hitbox thing. And IDK how the campaign is, I just got the game for the PvP. It looks kinda bad to me, though. Like, only reason I would consider playing it is to unlock cosmetics for the PvP modes.

EDIT: Also the game is grind-to-win outside of the 1v1 and 2v2 modes. Fortunately I care mostly about the 1v1, but it's a bummer that you can get shit like supergeared Peacekeepers who bleed you for 90% health from a couple of attacks in the 4v4 modes.

Bet you there are microtransactions for that shit.

No thanks. #fuckubisoft

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 pm 

Started Suikoden II again for precisely two reasons:

1) I want to play Suikoden III and I think having a file transfer over will help motivate me. My completed file is on my physical memory card, and I don't have all the cables for my PS2 (lost 'em when I moved) so I need to play through again on PS3 with the internal memory card and my copy of SIII I got on the PSN a long time ago.

2) All I want is to complete Clive's sidestory. He's one of the coolest characters and I've never been able to beat the game fast enough to see it through to the end. This is my main goal for starting again.

My memory of how to recruit everybody is pretty good so I burn through the game as fast as I can, missing nobody as I go along. I thought I recalled finding Clive in South Window but he wasn't there. Oh yeah, I needed to have gone on the boat once because then he knows I can get to Lakewest. Fair enough. I go out, I come back, he's still not there. I wrack my brain pondering what's up.

In my haste I forgot to fucking talk to Elza in Muse, which is what triggers Clive's appearance in South Window like seven hours later.

The one character I fucked up and locked myself out of getting was the one that I was replaying the entire game for.

12 hours wasted.

Fuck.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 pm 

The only way I would ever even consider playing MGSV:

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:20 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The only way I would ever even consider playing MGSV:

Anybody who watches this video will be ashamed of their birds and steeds.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 am 

That Mass Effect combat looks so fun. Is it weird for me to be getting hyped up for this one without having ever played the original trilogy? Would y'all recommend playing those first?

I picked up season 2 of the Walking Dead Telltale game the other day. I figured it'd been over 2 years since I got emotionally devastated by season 1, so why the hell not? :-P :-P

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 am 

Mass Effect 2/3 are nice, fun, extremely streamlined and accessible shooters with tons of cutscenes with very high production value; you could probably do a lot worse than playing them.

Mass Effect 1 somehow manages to be the very best (world, writing, RPG mechanics, quest design) and the very worst (ridiculous combat, awful pallette swap "exploration," characters about as amiable as a cold sore), and overall it's the least accessible game in the series.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:10 am 

If you liked KOTOR, Mass Effect 1 will be your favorite. 2 and 3 are more accessible and modern. All are great games.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Mass Effect 2/3 are nice, fun, extremely streamlined and accessible shooters with tons of cutscenes with very high production value; you could probably do a lot worse than playing them.

Mass Effect 1 somehow manages to be the very best (world, writing, RPG mechanics, quest design) and the very worst (ridiculous combat, awful pallette swap "exploration," characters about as amiable as a cold sore), and overall it's the least accessible game in the series.

pretty much this i do have some issues with mass effect 3 over 2 though(the way the upgrade and XP system works) and not enough choice too many times the game just takes over choices however it still has choices i think all games are amazing but over all the 2nd is the best imo

also both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are amazing games even if the 2nd isnt as good

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:08 am 

Turd Blaster wrote:
I picked up season 2 of the Walking Dead Telltale game the other day. I figured it'd been over 2 years since I got emotionally devastated by season 1, so why the hell not? :-P :-P

Oddly enough I actually started the same thing for the same reason yesterday. I was only able to play for like 30 minutes or so but that's okay because that was enough time for the game to rip out my heart and punch me in the gut with it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 am 

speaking of Telltale games, has anyone played tale from the borderlands?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Mass Effect 1 is the best from a writing perspective, and Mass Effect 3 is the best from a gameplay perspective. Which is why Mass Effect 2 is my favorite, because it inherits the best of both worlds.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Mass Effect 1 is the best from a writing perspective, and Mass Effect 3 is the best from a gameplay perspective. Which is why Mass Effect 2 is my favorite, because it inherits the best of both worlds.

Well-put, I'd have to agree completely. ME2 also has this classy, dark, cinematic sheen (feels almost noir-ish at times) that comes off much better than 3's well-intentioned but sometimes hokey attempts at being "dark and dramatic."

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

Yep. What I played was pretty great, capturing the Borderlands vibe perfectly. However, there's something I really, really disliked about it. Massive fucking spoiler ahead:
Did they really have to bring back Handsome Jack? Even if he was just some kind of holo-ghost, it felt really forced and more for the sake of fanservice than anything.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm 

*continuation of spoiler and mini-rant*

That sucks. I don't have a clue why Handsome Jack is such a fan favorite to begin with, he was the worst part of BL 2 for me. He's constantly toying with the vault hunter, regardless of how quickly they're single-handedly destroying battalions of soldiers and mechs, including a giant flying gun-fortress, and he's still like "Yeah, I meant for you to do that, loser. But seriously, if you take one more step, I'll kill you."

I dunno. I guess that was the whole point of his character, but my point is, he's a jebpiece. I don't get his appeal at all.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Turd Blaster wrote:

Oddly enough I actually started the same thing for the same reason yesterday. I was only able to play for like 30 minutes or so but that's okay because that was enough time for the game to rip out my heart and punch me in the gut with it.

Oh god, you've got me worried about starting it now :(

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
*continuation of spoiler and mini-rant*

That sucks. I don't have a clue why Handsome Jack is such a fan favorite to begin with, he was the worst part of BL 2 for me. He's constantly toying with the vault hunter, regardless of how quickly they're single-handedly destroying battalions of soldiers and mechs, including a giant flying gun-fortress, and he's still like "Yeah, I meant for you to do that, loser. But seriously, if you take one more step, I'll kill you."

I dunno. I guess that was the whole point of his character, but my point is, he's a jebpiece. I don't get his appeal at all.

I haven't played Tales yet but I don't really intend to so I checked the spoilers anyway (ergo my spoilers are only for BL2 and TPS):

Yeah Jack was an arrogant shit but that was precisely the point. He's a complete psychopath and basically the most powerful person on the entire planet and any previous resistance to him was basically decimated on the spot. It's sort of like Kefka in FFVI, where he spends half the game sitting on his throne with a world destroying death laser collecting dust because his Achilles heel is that he's way too arrogant and thinks you don't stand a chance anyway, considering he's already destroyed the world once and became the most powerful person on the planet. Jack has that same character flaw, coupled with the fact that he genuinely believes he's doing everything for the greater good. He's the hero in his own mind, so why not have some fun while saving the world? If you play The Pre-Sequel it's actually kinda hard to not see his point. He was an altruistic, selfless hero at one point and in his naivete was constantly taken advantage of and betrayed until he just snapped. So by the time of BL2, his goal is to exterminate Vault Hunters because they're the exact reason for all the insane lawlessness and wanton murder on Pandora, he states over and over again that he's trying to rid the planet of the thing that's causing the most trouble, and he's not exactly wrong. He got twisted along the way and became a psychotic murderer in the process and he absolutely is an evil prick who deserves to be killed, but the main difference between he and the Vault Hunters is that they/you were driven by selfish greed from the outset, whereas he's always seen himself as a protector, his power just got to his head and he became a goofball drunk on sadistic bloodlust, possibly because he just enjoys punishing the people who hurt him so much. Also keep in mind just how much his demeanor changes when you start going after the people closest to him. His bulletin rescinding the reward on your head because he's now determined to kill you himself after you kill his daughter is actually pretty damn chilling. I get your point but I think he's a surprisingly fascinating character for somebody who seemed like a one-note tryhard comedic villain at first.

His only real crime is that he keeps the New U machines up and running. I always attributed your respawns to videogame logic (you die so you get another chance because it's a game and that's just how they work), but I realized recently that there's an in-game explanation for it, and it's specifically because of machines scattered across the planet that his company owns and operates. Like what the hell dude? I died the same way you did hundreds of times leading up to this point, you didn't even try to respawn, moron.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 pm 

Great point there - only one note to add of my own:

I feel like the Pre-Sequel starts out making him seem sympathetic/framing the story as his Start of Darkness, so to speak, but I feel like they drop some hints that he's at least somewhat morally ambiguous when the game opens. He was already developing a giant death cannon on his own (that he effectively had complete control over) and I thought there were some hints that he had already enslaved Angel at that point. Basically he still had the emotional capacity to be altruistic but was also pursuing some pretty unscrupulous goals at the same time. IMO that actually makes the story better, since it sort of subverts the common "pure good guy falls from grace" trope with the less common "chaotic netural guy falls to neutral evil."

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 pm 

Those are very good points.

I think I missed out on a lot by not playing the Pre-sequel, but even so, I get what you're saying - there really is an interesting arc to his character and a lot more depth than I thought. I really should've noticed that after the Angel fight, where the jokes stop and things get personal, but I guess I just already made my mind up at that point. (Bloodwing, never forget) I appreciate you guys taking the time to explain that to me - definitely gonna play through the game again and probably look into getting the Pre-sequel, too

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm 

The Pre-Sequel is definitely fun, though not quite stellar like BL2. A few gameplay nags (the ground-pound can become broken, none of the character's special abilities are as interesting as 2's) but honestly the thing I found most disappointing was how repetitive the environments become - since the entire thing is set on the moon, they try to add some color by giving different aurora palettes, but the entire thing just feels like this romp through the same blue-grey environments with a few notable exceptions like the super-cool endgame area. That said, it's still really fun (the gun-grinding mechanism is awesome and I wish BL2 had it) and definitely worth it for the lowered price on Steam these days.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Yep. What I played was pretty great, capturing the Borderlands vibe perfectly. However, there's something I really, really disliked about it. Massive fucking spoiler ahead:
Did they really have to bring back Handsome Jack? Even if he was just some kind of holo-ghost, it felt really forced and more for the sake of fanservice than anything.

i agree with you he is a great character but i agree

on the pre sequel i think it was harshly judged because of how utterly amazing 2 was, one thing about 2 vs the pre sequel keep in mind i have not played any of the DLC for the pre sequel is i only found one character fun to play, Claptrap was not fun imo, captain america was boring, the lock on gun character i forget the name of was not great either and Wilhelm was the only character i enjoyed but i enjoyed him a lot

i dont know if any of the 2 new DLC are going to be good but i have a feeling by reading descriptions they will be great characters, while with borderlands 2 there is only one character i didnt like using(the duel gun guy) the rest were so much fun and i cant decide who i liked best

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
The Pre-Sequel is definitely fun, though not quite stellar like BL2. A few gameplay nags (the ground-pound can become broken, none of the character's special abilities are as interesting as 2's) but honestly the thing I found most disappointing was how repetitive the environments become - since the entire thing is set on the moon, they try to add some color by giving different aurora palettes, but the entire thing just feels like this romp through the same blue-grey environments with a few notable exceptions like the super-cool endgame area. That said, it's still really fun (the gun-grinding mechanism is awesome and I wish BL2 had it) and definitely worth it for the lowered price on Steam these days.

Yeah, I agree with this. I really liked the freeze gun and the ground pound mechanic though. So fun.

Also, fuck Telltale games with a rusty spoon

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 am 

WHy is nobody talkin bout Nioh up in here? I think it's super awesome, but starting to get too easy, especially the boss fights. I'm a little over halfway through the main missions and have done all the sub missions and 4 twilight so far. Basically only used the Kusarigama the entire game. I also think the spear is a really cool weapon which I have equipped as my secondary, but don't really use it. I'm probably going to get the platinum so I'll have to master all the weapons eventually.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799 ... 940  Next